nvidia surround?

Damn I was waiting on pullin the trigger for 2 more monitors until Nvidia got this driver thing figured out.

I mean end of june and wont support mulit-monitor gaming with those end of june drivers?....Im sorry come aug/sep the new ATI cards might come out and have even better eyefinity support and better dongle support....

Guess Im just going to hold on to my 5870 until a refresh from ATI comes out...

Really was hopin for some good multi-monitor SLI gaming too...ugh

Interesting to note, by the way, that this is on the 3D Vision Surround page:

So perhaps at least an iota of evidence that they haven't given up on greater-than-1080p implementation.

Notice how they said 3 NON-3D displays though. That suggests to me that they don't have the bandwidth to support 3D on 3 monitors on resolutions greater than 1080p. They might be able to do 3x25x16 on 2d however...

Damn I was waiting on pullin the trigger for 2 more monitors until Nvidia got this driver thing figured out.

I mean end of june and wont support mulit-monitor gaming with those end of june drivers?....Im sorry come aug/sep the new ATI cards might come out and have even better eyefinity support and better dongle support....

Guess Im just going to hold on to my 5870 until a refresh from ATI comes out...

Really was hopin for some good multi-monitor SLI gaming too...ugh

If you haven't already bought Nvidia, and you really want Triple monitors then I'd probably wait to see what Southern Isles offers.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/04/21/atis-southern-islands-tapes-out/

I don't think that things are as grim for Nvidia as Charlie paints it, but they are certainly behind the 8-ball because the Fermi generation is 6 months behind on the development cycle. They really need to make a breakthrough with Fermi 2 or that video card could get buried by Northen Islands. We'll just have to see if 28nm process will be kinder to Fermi architecture than to Northern Islands architecture.

Last edited:
DASHIT has it wrong, though. The first 256 drivers - May 24 - won't have 3-monitor support. The next ones - end of June - supposedly will.

Notice how they said 3 NON-3D displays though. That suggests to me that they don't have the bandwidth to support 3D on 3 monitors on resolutions greater than 1080p. They might be able to do 3x25x16 on 2d however...

If you haven't already bought Nvidia, and you really want Triple monitors then I'd probably wait to see what Southern Isles offers.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/04/21/atis-southern-islands-tapes-out/

I don't think that things are as grim for Nvidia as Charlie paints it, but they are certainly behind the 8-ball because the Fermi generation is 6 months behind on the development cycle. They really need to make a breakthrough with Fermi 2 or that video card could get buried by Northen Islands. We'll just have to see if 28nm process will be kinder to Fermi architecture than to Northern Islands architecture.

Nice read on the new ATI card. Hmmm Bought my 5870 for $370 last september.....might be time to sell it now while i can probably break even, and get ready for that new chip.

I mean you can only expect that they refined the eyefinity technology...

Either way Nvidia better have some ass kick drivers comin for multi-monitor gaming soon or they will be lagging behind badly.

Why cant we have a damn card that SCALES like Nvidia, but plays Eyefinity like ATI.

bring back 3dfx!

Wow common sense for a change, bravo.

You have to realize Tamlin has become the self proclaimed triple screen messiah. As such he needs the drama to remain relevant. Using common sense isn't in the script. Remember he's all for the poor little guy who unknowingly and unwillingly bought into what the box said. He's entertaining to read to be very honest. Don't worry bro I'm sure you've made a name for yourself here by now, rest easy my man. It's gonna all be ok soon. Noones gonna die, no puters will be blown up and eventually when the driver's are done we will all have functioning surround.

I know I know, you've been protecting and speaking up for the masses over at wsgf for 5 years and I'm only a lowly 4year forum member. What do I know right? ha.

Lol! I needed that laugh! :p

So I am a self proclaimed TH messiah because I give a fuck when people gets screwed by vendors?

I wonder, in your mindset, what does that make you, who defend the right of Nvidia to screw people and not deliver what people paid for?

Self proclaimed Nvidia messiah? I mean, you don't seem to give a fuck about surround gaming, don't give a fuck about users getting screwed and keep telling people how Nvidia is GOD and therefore above the consumer laws who "wrongfully tells that if Nvidia sells a product, they actually need to deliver it as well".

Perhaps only in your "Church of Nvidia" am I a self proclaimed TH messiah and I get much laughs when Zealots like you tries to spread the word of how Nvidia is GOD and therefore cannot do anything wrong. :p

I need to repost this picture, because it fits you so well: :D

31655.jpg

Wow. They had full intentions of releasing the drivers but as is frequently the case in tech and in life they ran into unforeseen trouble. So because I understand, accept and can live with that fact, I'm somehow arguing in favor of getting fucked by companies? A little perspective maybe? Maybe I'm a bigboy who understands there's bigger fish to fry in life and that this is a trivial matter? Ever consider that?

I don't think its because you have perspective that you argue, but rather the lack of perspective.

For others in this thread, Nvidia is just a company who makes products. Same goes for ATI. Just a company that makes products.

When people buy a product, they actually expect to get the product too. What a shocker, heh? People in this thread bought Nvidia cards to get Nvidia surround as advertised on the box. Now you are telling them that Nvidia didn't screw them and sold them a non-existing product!?! WTF is wrong with you?

Do you think this is acceptable in any sense? Should game developers sell empty boxes in the shelf as a finished product, and then explain in a blog a month later that you ain't getting shit before they've finished the game? Or is only Nvidia above any approach and can sell whatever they want and then give it later once they've actually made the product?

You are arguing in favor of people getting fucked by companies and tell them to bend over and take it.

I'm astonished that there are still people here positing the "shit happens" argument. Don't you understand nV is walking over years upon years of consumer protection law and precedant? Don't you get it that people spent a large amount of money on a product that doesn't work with features that advertised upon purchase?

I understand, from first hand experience, that hardware and software development takes time and delays are par for the course. But there is good reason, from a legal and goodwill perspective, why companies delay releasing products that aren't ready yet instead of putting them out there with missing features. When an honest and legally adherant company doesn't have a product ready a) they caveat before release that the non-working feature won't be available, or b) offer a refund or recall. We saw neither of these things in this circumstance: nV advertised the feature on their retail product packaging, didn't issue a statement pre-release that 3D Surround wouldn't be working and they aren't offering refunds on their, as of now, defective product.

nV thumbing their noses at the law aside, I have two issues with the way they are handling this delay: they likely knew full well the feature set wouldn't be ready upon release, but we are just hearing about it now and they are not issuing any sort of recourse, refund, or even an apology for those who bought what they were shoveling.

It seems as though the few who, for whatever reason, think what nVidia has done is acceptiable will not be swayed by our logic. I don't think it makes sense to argue it anymore. Some of us think nV screwed us over big time by selling cards advertising a feature that doesn't exist while others think it's fine.

It seems as though the few who, for whatever reason, think what nVidia has done is acceptiable will not be swayed by our logic. I don't think it makes sense to argue it anymore. Some of us think nV screwed us over big time by selling cards advertising a feature that doesn't exist while others think it's fine.

We just need to drop it because these people clearly dont understand. It doesnt get any clearer than that. I stopped posting a long time ago.

I'm astonished that there are still people here positing the "shit happens" argument. Don't you understand nV is walking over years upon years of consumer protection law and precedant? Don't you get it that people spent a large amount of money on a product that doesn't work with features that advertised upon purchase?

IIRC, my 470 GTX's box stated that it was 3D Surround Ready or some variation in legalese.
(I know, I know, I know...I don't like it either ;))

I returned my 470 because I realized that nVidia knew they could not make their April driver release date when the cards originally launched. Only a fool would believe that nVidia realized in the middle of April that they would need until the summer to get this feature out.

I also find it curious that nvidia releases their official statement a little over a month after the cards were released which takes people who may have wanted not to wait and return their cards outside their 30 day return/refund window. Coincidence? You be the judge...

Doesn't matter if there was a 30 day return window or not. It's false advertisement at this point.

Hey, I am not debating the fact that it was and still is false advertising. Yesterday made exactly one month since I bought mine and I bought mine about a week after they were released. I just find it curious that nvidia responds with a date for 'anticipated' release of the surround drivers about a month after release of the cards which would put a bunch of hardcore early adopter types SOL for returning their cards to the vendors that they purchased them from. Just sayin...

not quite sure if I can still return my card after 30 day of purchase from newegg due to this false advertise...

not quite sure if I can still return my card after 30 day of purchase from newegg due to this false advertise...

It's been done. You need to call them and argue with a CS representative for awhile but people have succeeded in returns after 30 days based on false advertising on Fermi.

You may need to take store credit though.

It's been done. You need to call them and argue with a CS representative for awhile but people have succeeded in returns after 30 days based on false advertising on Fermi.

You may need to take store credit though.

I might do that after seeing what 256 driver does. If they have mass performance increase, I will keep the card, if not... one more reason to get rid of it..

I want to get back to Eyefinity :(

looks like I am not alone to do this, quite lots of people from other forums and here are jumping back :(

The moment those drivers do come out, I highly doubt that any retailer (including NewEgg) will see a reason to take an nVidia card back.

The moment those drivers do come out, I highly doubt that any retailer (including NewEgg) will see a reason to take an nVidia card back.

they can say w/e they can, but the reality is.. its NOT OUT yet..

its consider Vaporware... false advertise....

I'm not defending nVidia. I'm merely stating that if you are thinking about taking the cards back because of false advertisement, you need to do it before the drivers come out to have a chance at succeeding.

Direct from NVIDIA...
While this initial R256 driver will not have 3D Vision Surround support (coming later in June), it will have performance improvements for a number of applications.

...........oh my god. So nobody still has no idea as to when we will see the non 3d eyefinity counter-part.

I know this sounds like a gasoline on the flames comment but...

I can't help but get the feeling that this is what happens when you try to copy your competitions new idea and take a step further (adding 3D in this case)... Eyefinity took some planning on ATI's part and though it has been receiving refinement since the launch of the 5000 series, it has been available for quite some time.

Nvidia's decision to jump into this niche offering did not just acknowledge and legitimize the concept that ATI has presented, but it has also put them in a position of catch up.

Nvidia use to be on the top of their game with driver development. A few bombshell driver releases later, and these delays it looks like things aren't what they use to be. Just my 2 copper pieces worth.

This is what happens when you pre-announce a feature just to say "look! me too! me too!". Did they even have any 3d surround demos, anywhere?

I think the "update" they're going with was Friday's blog post stating 3D Vision Surround wasn't ready yet and wouldn't be until at least end of June. Nothing official though, no...

Yeah, I took that to be as official as it's going to get. They already said there last week that the first batch of 256 drivers will release on May 24th and that the actual 3-monitor support won't come out until "end of June."

I know this sounds like a gasoline on the flames comment but...

I can't help but get the feeling that this is what happens when you try to copy your competitions new idea and take a step further (adding 3D in this case)... Eyefinity took some planning on ATI's part and though it has been receiving refinement since the launch of the 5000 series, it has been available for quite some time.

Nvidia's decision to jump into this niche offering did not just acknowledge and legitimize the concept that ATI has presented, but it has also put them in a position of catch up.

Nvidia use to be on the top of their game with driver development. A few bombshell driver releases later, and these delays it looks like things aren't what they use to be. Just my 2 copper pieces worth.

Kinda like Crossfire? nV had SLI then ATI had to play catch up with Crossfire, ATI came out with multiple monitor on linked display adapters and now nV is playing catch up although nV has said that it was something they intended to implement since SLI came out.

... nV has said that it was something they intended to implement since SLI came out.

Please show me where NVIDIA said that. New to me. And it was never communicated to me by NVIDIA in in conversations about multi-display gaming since last year.

Kinda like Crossfire? nV had SLI then ATI had to play catch up with Crossfire, ATI came out with multiple monitor on linked display adapters and now nV is playing catch up although nV has said that it was something they intended to implement since SLI came out.

Exactly like Crossfire.

Don't you find it funny, if it was something that was intended since SLI came out many years ago, why did they wait until after ATI had released their own version of it? Why is it taking them longer? With their stellar driver team? :p

So yes, exactly like Crossfire. Nvidia couldn't even learn from their opponents mistakes, they should have kept this under wraps at least until Fermi launched.

How was it, in comparison to eyefinity?

I did not see any of the GUI etc. Just saw the game running. It was actually in 3D Vision as well. There were still some visual glitches, but nothing crazy bad. As far as Surround, it was "just like" Eyefinity.

The thing is, unlike ATI, they generally make sure their drivers work, and yes, Nvidia released a bad set of drivers that affected fan speed but from what I could see over the more than 10 years of PC's upgrades, improvements, Nvidia generally has done really well with their drivers and attempts to release stable drivers. I've used Nvidia products as long as I have as they just simply tend to have better driver stability. They are having issues right now as one of their CEO's seems to have a big mouth and talked smack to their competition and now seems they can't back up what he said as quickly as he boasted they could.

friend just went from a 9800GTX+ and a 24" 1080p screen to a GTX470 on a 3D 23" 1680x1050 + glasses. I went dual 5850, planning for eyefinity. If Nvidia had their shit together, I would have went dual 470 or 480 and started with a single 3D screen, and added two more later. 3D is quite awesome in the games that support it. But, after seeing eyefinity, that comes first, and 3D is second. If Nvidia finally gets this working, I'd consider switching to Nvidia. For now though, they need to focus on making good on a promise from 4 months ago.

The thing is, unlike ATI, they generally make sure their drivers work

I can't speak for the ATI of the past, this is my second ATI card and my last one was a 9800 PRO. I was strictly an Nvidia since that point, ATI really had nothing that blew away the competition. This time around ATI had all the right cards in play when I was ready to upgrade from my GeForce 280...

I don't know about the past, but the past few months using an ATI card and their drivers has been just as positive as they once were with Nvidia.

I highly doubt its because ATI doesn't make sure that their drivers work and they are just getting lucky... Things have changed and ATI is shaping up to be more then just a lagging competition, they really have stepped up their game in many aspects not just their hardware development.

Long story short, I would love to see Nvidia get things under control, it doesn't do us any good if one company keeps excelling while the other lags behind, but in the past year there really hasn't been much in terms of quality that has placed Nvidia above the competition.

The thing is, unlike ATI, they generally make sure their drivers work

I disagree. Nvidia is just as guilty as ATI at breaking previously working features. Back when I had a 7900GT GPU LCD scaling seemed to be broken in almost every other release. There were a couple of other features that Nvidia broke quite often, as well.

I've had far fewer of those issues since I've switched to ATI (after 7900GT I got a 4850 and now a 5870). Of course, anecdotes are just that, anecdotes. They are only proof that people have different experiences.

I've only heard that Nvidia has something "like" Eyefinity implemented on its workstation class GPUs for awhile now, but you know, there is "like" and there is "like".

I've only heard that Nvidia has something "like" Eyefinity implemented on its workstation class GPUs for awhile now, but you know, there is "like" and there is "like".

nail on the head.

They are probably getting it working with as many games as possible at this point (some game fix may break another) and slapping 3d on top of that cant be easy.

I would prefer a surround release and wait for the 3d, since I dont want the 3d.

Their workstation class software for multi span is perfect in all the applications I have seen it in, but then again they have been doing it since 2002?

nail on the head.

They are probably getting it working with as many games as possible at this point (some game fix may break another) and slapping 3d on top of that cant be easy.

I would prefer a surround release and wait for the 3d, since I dont want the 3d.

Their workstation class software for multi span is perfect in all the applications I have seen it in, but then again they have been doing it since 2002?

x2

besides, if you can't achieve at least 120fps in a 3 monitor surround setup (in modern titles), adding 3D on top of it is pretty pointless IMO.

They should ditch the 3D surround for the time being and focus on 3D single monitor and 2D multi-monitor

I guess if NVIDIA actually communicated with its customers that have already purchased the hardware for this reason we would know the facts instead of sitting around here guessing. :(

Yeah, not like they posted a blog entry about the schedule or anything, which is more specific than ever before... oh wait.

I really don't think a blog entry is the intended source of information for something like this. If I bought the cards and the capability was advertised on the box then I'd expect something right off the front page of their site to inform me what was going on. I just quickly checked their site and couldn't see anything regarding their 3d surround.

Yeah, not like they posted a blog entry about the schedule or anything, which is more specific than ever before... oh wait.

Yeah, not like they promised them on their own website almost a month ago. It's not like they advertised it on the box or anything. It's not like they keep mum weeks after the release and after the deadline of their own making passed, keeping everyone in the dark. It's not like they are still only making general promises. Oh, wait....

Back