Nvidia Should Be Held Accountable For OverCharging With Lower Performance.

Unfortunately it breaks apart when you get down to the GTX650Ti w/boost. The 2GB version of that card goes for $170 on average, while the slightly slower 7850-2GB goes for, on average, $200.

I just checked Newegg and 2GB 7850s are on sale for $165. The 7850 2GB trades blows with the 650Ti boost and sells for the same price.

Last edited:
Brands do matter. When Mitsubishi tried to merge with Chrysler it created a ton of brand confusion because one brand manufactured higher end cars and the other created cars for middle class people. Usually mergers end with one company consuming another but in this case the public perception was so bad (rich people thought it meant any Chrysler being made from that time period was going to be made with less luxury minded comforts and middle class people expected to be overcharged for Mitsubishi cars) that the companies broke apart to save each other.

Brands exist as a means of quickly identifying the quality of service and goods you are receiving, the type of customer service you get when problems occur and the payment method that matches what you economically can do.

This is not about cars or mergers, it is about GPUs. I didn't say brand doesn't matter at all, I said it doesn't matter when it comes to value. There is a limit to how much premium someone will pay for brand recognition. At some point brand recognition becomes moot and value starts to matter to the majority. Nvidia priced the same or slightly more than an equivalent AMD card and Nvidia brand recognition will usually win. Nvidia priced at $100 more than an equivalent AMD card and even a large proportion of ardent Nvidia fans start to think WTF.

Nvidia know this and that is why (as an example) the GTX680 is priced similarly to a 7970GE. The small performance deficit is easily offset by the brand recognition, but there is a limit to how much this brand premium is worth. This is the reason why the GTX680 and GTX670 dropped in price slightly to roughly match AMDs offerings, because Nvidia has to stay reasonably close to AMD prices or lose sales.

Maybe most people have forgotten too quickly this time period but you citing an outlier in history doesn't mean much. Nvidia has a history of being priced more than AMD and that is part of what defines these two brands. The Tahiti incident just points out the flaw in our nature to try to categorize something so simply we run the risk of not observing fast enough a behavior that is the opposite of what we expect. That aspect of our behavior is also why, for example, prejudice exists.

I'll stop at this point in being a little philosophical in this thread.

ATI have priced many of their new cards at premium prices in the past. So both Nvidia and AMD have charged premium prices many times. I do concede that Nvidia seems more guilty of this than ATI/AMD but that cold simply be down to the fact that in recent years they have usually had a faster card.

X1900 XTX $650
X850XT Platinum Edition $550
9800XT $500
HD 7970 $550

ATI have priced many of their new cards at premium prices in the past. So both Nvidia and AMD have charged premium prices many times. I do concede that Nvidia seems more guilty of this than ATI/AMD but that cold simply be down to the fact that in recent years they have usually had a faster card.

X1900 XTX $650
X850XT Platinum Edition $550
9800XT $500
HD 7970 $550

The fastest cards gets the halo premium. That $650 was nearly a decade ago. It's just as bad as the Titan pricing now.

That's why we go for a BMW M3 instead, for the overall performance + smoother ride, wait... smoothness.... amd microstutter...... wait a sec, so basically AMD is like the Ford Mustang GT and nVidia is like an BMW M3, which would you buy?

But in all seriousness, both companies offer good products, I think AMD is more on the competing for prices. IMO, yes MY opinion, nVidia cards are smoother, thus I got rid of my 7970 GHz to replace with this GTX 680 Lightning, the 680 does better in some benchies, the 7970 does better in others, it doesnt matter, go with which you prefer.

Both overpriced with luxury in mind.

If you want performance per $ you get an Ariel Atom.

The argument is just silly.

Neither AMD nor Nvidia need to have any justification for setting prices the way they do.

They are private, profit driven corporations. The only people who should be holding them accountable for the prices they set, are their shareholders, and only then if they set them high enough that they lose market share, and thus shrink the business.

This whole crying because you feel entitled to a video card at a certain price is very childish, and demonstrates a very immature world view.

If you think something is overpriced, then don't buy it. It's as simple as that.

Neither AMD nor Nvidia owe you anything at any price.

I just checked Newegg and 2GB 7850s are on sale for $165. The 7850 2GB trades blows with the 650Ti boost and sells for the same price.

Show me...and rebates don't count...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131473

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130909

But the 7850 has dropped a bit there($185) but is still $15 more expensive than the GTX655Ti. But...lets take the game coupons into account and the 7850 runs all over the GTX655Ti with Bioshock/Tomb Raider vs a Freemium game coupon, so the $15 price difference is worth it depending on your needs.

The fastest cards gets the halo premium. That $650 was nearly a decade ago. It's just as bad as the Titan pricing now.

$650 is as bad as $1000 :confused:

Geforce 8800 Ultra was priced over $800 when it was released

AMD doesn't hold a candle to the Nvidia pricing schemes

The cost difference between comparable AMD and Nvidia products is usually not huge, lets keep some perspective, if the diff is $50 that doesn't even get close to covering a night out on the piss.

Most gamers I know have owned Nvidia and ATI/AMD at different times, the only "fan boy" I see in this thread is the OP, but good on him for being passionate about video card brands lol

+1 I totally agree with you!

Nvidia should be held accountable for me just pissing on my leg, it was their fault a pube was stuck to the tip and caused the stream to V and hit my leg.

THEY SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!

After the Disaster I just had with Trifire, and which I just sold here on the Hardforums.

I will gladly pay for better driver and SLI support if it means lower performance by 1-3 FPS.

Sometimes you just want to play games, not spend hours on end trying to get your hardware to work properly.

So what your saying is that Nvidia is overpriced and under perform like Toyotas and Hondas and they only carry perceived valve.

But you would be wrong. Most Toyotas and Hondas have historically been known to have longer life spans (for those of us who drive our cars into the ground). My honda has 150k and is 12 years old and is just getting started. My wifes toyota has 130k and is also 12 years old and the only issue it has ever had is my kid breaking the door handle (which I replaced for $20).

my%20point-321x700.jpg

I wasn't arguing the merits of a ford versus a honda, I was arguing how some people see value in different things. I said some people "perceive them as worth the price they pay", clearly evidenced by the multiple replies in this thread. I also said my opinion was that they weren't worth that price. Some people see value in the build quality of a Honda and are willing to pay for it. I see that I can get a low end American sportscar for the price of a decent but comparatively slow honda.

Now don't stop to think about a ford versus honda or any of my arguments on such (they are stupid and made up anyways) because you will again miss my point and this isn't a discussion on cars. My point is that different people value different things and are willing to put a price tag on it. That is "perceived value". The market has determined that people are willing to pay a higher price for Nvidia cards. Therefore Nvidia charges accordingly. If they shit out several thousand dollar cards at a time that had no redeeming value, then the market would change, demand would lower (and go to the competitor), and Nvidia would eventually price accordingly or go out of business due to lost sales. Thus OP sounds like an entitled whiny child when he titles a thread "Nvidia should be held accountable for overcharging". That's like saying Honda should be held accountable for providing a slower car than a ford mustang at a similar price. Value can be found in other things besides speed.

Sir, I'm afraid I'm going to have to order you to step away from the keyboard.... what, what's that? You're being charged with "logical sense", you have the right to remain silent... :p.

Logical sense, or pure bullshit trolling as I sip on my scotch, smoke my cigar, and laugh maniacally waiting for another poor bastard eager to argue a losing point? Or maybe a little of both...

Last edited:
What a stupid thread. Its just willing buyer and willing seller. Why pay more for Rolls Royce Phantom when you can pay less and get a S65 which is faster? Because we can.

Last edited:
Back