NVIDIA Settles GTX 970 Class-Action Lawsuits

I'm more than happy with my 970... that said I am more than happy to accept a $30 debit card that starts charging a fee in 60 days :D

Wow, United States only. So international purchasers such as myself get fuck all.

Screw this shit.

Wow, United States only. So international purchasers such as myself get fuck all.

Screw this shit.

Get a class action suit going in your country. I bet if the shoe was on the other hand and it was announced that US courts now had jurisdiction in your country, the response might be something along the lines of "Screw this shit".

Get a class action suit going in your country. I bet if the shoe was on the other hand and it was announced that US courts now had jurisdiction in your country, the response might be something along the lines of "Screw this shit".

Nvidia doesn't have a legal presence here, how would I get a CLA started against a non-existent entity? :cry:

So you don't like people/businesses being paid the value they place on themselves?
Those lawyers know their value, and by winning the 30M from conversations that started in the forums, they do have great value and will be used by other people with big lawsuits.
IF and I say IF the lawyers got only 1.3 million I can live with it. Usually they get 33% of the judgement. I am not fine with silly class action lawsuits, 90% of which are filed in 3 cities that are known to have sympathetic juries, getting multi million dollar judgements and taking a third.
Class action lawsuit abuse threatens business, hurts consumers
Starbucks feels the heat from two abusive lawsuits « Faces of Lawsuit Abuse
Class Actions

Yes. I'll take that thirty bucks thank you. I bought one as a gift so it's just bonus bucks. I already had a $20 or $30 dollar MIR which I claimed. Add another $30, thank you. First class action that ever worked in my favor at all.

I've already gotten a $65 credit at Amazon for my 970 because of this debacle. Really need extra cash, so this is great. I've been really happy with this Zotac 970 for what it's worth.

Hmm wonder if this will work with the b stock ones I bought from evga..be nice I'll use it to pick up a 1070 gtx..

Hmm wonder if this will work with the b stock ones I bought from evga..be nice I'll use it to pick up a 1070 gtx..

Since those are recertified products, I would very much expect not and be surprised if they did. Realistically, there are probably not very many (or even none) that fall within whatever the cutoff dates are.

Do you know how many 970s were sold? Do you know this was a class action lawsuit?

If 1M 970s were sold, that means 30 million was awarded to the people who joined the suit.
1.3M is a fair amount to pay lawyers that won you 30M.

First of all, they didn't "win" owners 30 million. You can't win something owners are already entitled to. And second, of course everyone should be paid for their work. But getting this kind of coin for low-level bureaucratic work is stupid.

Capping lawyer fees (e.g.like the way it's done for social security claims) is the only way to end this.

Though not as egregious, this reminds me of when Blockbuster got sued. Customers got free movie rental coupons and the lawyers got $9 million.

Justify that one.

It's simple capitalism, has nothing to do with "Standard American Justice" or whatever that means. :sneaky:

Big fan of capitalism. Not unfettered capitalism.

standard
[stan-derd]
noun
something considered by an authority or by general consent as a basis of comparison; an approved model.

First of all, they didn't "win" owners 30 million. You can't win something owners are already entitled to.

Is there another way it get 30M from Nvidia without going through the court system? Do you have a law firm to do it and charge less?

Tainting their image is the only way to get them to pay. Us talking "what's right" in forums will not do anything.
Life is easier when we don't waste time trying to figure out why certain people are paid more than others. Let's increase our value to society and we will earn more than the average Joe for our work as well.
I'm happy that our American society allows people to place value on themselves and their business. If we don't, the government and clueless voters will do it for us.

Ars Technica has released a pdf of the court document of the settlement:

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/show_temp.pl-2.pdf

I am not a lawyer. This is what I saw quickly scanning through the document.

On page 9: "Defendants to make a cash payment of $30 per GTX 970 unit to Settlement Class Members who submit valid claims, with no cap."

On page 15: "The proposed Settlement Class consists of “all persons and entities resident in the United States of America who purchased a GTX 970 GPU in the United States of America from the Defendants, the AIC Partners or their authorized retailers prior to the Preliminary Hearing Date other than for purposes of resale or distribution." So what is the Preliminary Hearing Date? I don't seem to be able to find the answer to that.

Is there another way it get 30M from Nvidia without going through the court system? Do you have a law firm to do it and charge less?

Tainting their image is the only way to get them to pay. Us talking "what's right" in forums will not do anything.
Life is easier when we don't waste time trying to figure out why certain people are paid more than others. Let's increase our value to society and we will earn more than the average Joe for our work as well.
I'm happy that our American society allows people to place value on themselves and their business. If we don't, the government and clueless voters will do it for us.

"Do you have a law firm to do it and charge less?"

Huh?? That's my point.

"Us talking "what's right" in forums will not do anything."

I didn't just talk about it. I expressed my disdain and suggested a solution to a problem.

"Life is easier when we don't waste time trying to figure out why certain people are paid more than others."

Who is trying to figure out why lawyers are overpaid? You? And what good is it taking the easy way out? Perhaps we should all just settle for the status quo so we aren't so hard on ourselves... or hard on others.

"I'm happy that our American society allows people to place value on themselves and their business."

Not suggesting anything different. Scroll up and reread.

Retailers will be distributing claim info. Sounds like A LOT more people will file claims than I originally guessed.

jeiALVc.png

Last edited:
Idiots mixed up the 970 and 980.

I got an email from Newegg about the 980 and 960 I bought. Nothing on the 970s I bought though. If I even got them from Newegg. I can't remember where I bought them all.

1 x 960
6 x 970
1 x 980

$240 will look nice.

It's strange, I got the email from NewEgg sent to my work email address, but the only card I ordered while at work was a 980Ti over a year ago. I ordered the 970 from home right around the end of January this year.

Just got an email from newegg about the 970 this time.

I bought a 970 on Newegg, still no email as far as I can tell.

I wonder if the signup will be based on serial number, or what? I bought my second 970 from FS/FT so I'm not sure how that will work.

I bought a 970 from newegg, when others where getting a partial refund they didn't offer me anything but a full refund. Today I got the settlement notice. Do I get a settlement if I took the refund?

Amazon is still paying out 20% refunds, Newegg is 10%.
Both sites are offering 100% refunds if you return the card.

Success rate depends on which CS rep you talk to.

Take down your card info (serial# etc) before returning and you might still be able to file a claim on the class action. With a full refund and $30 payout, Nvidia could end up paying you for having owned a 970. (y)

You're a damn thief in every thread you post in. "This is how you scam the CS people to get free stuff."

I just got an email from Newegg about it, but I honestly don't remember buying a 970 from them. I've had probably 15 of the cards now though so I may be forgetting.

Anyone know if the courts granted a preliminary approval? The hearing was supposed to have taken place on August 24th, but I've seen no news on this since July.

Back