Nvidia sets release date for driver revision 256

Awesome!!! Let's see developers take full advantage of multi-monitor gaming now.

Moar developer support for surround gaming plz! Kthxbai

Sweet I like the "performance improvements in numerous applicaitons" part of the 256driver release. Me ready.

Surround won't be in the first 256 driver release.

It will come later. They've now targeted end of June.

When we launch the 3D Vision Surround driver at the end of June, we will provide a game list and guidance on how to get the best experience with this cool new technology. I am looking forward to it!

blah

Correct. They clearly explain the driver wasn't ready for public consumption for the original date in April and unfortunately the surround support isn't either until june. What can ya do, if it's not ready its not ready. It sucks but thems be the breaks heh. At least their communicating now and being straight about why they haven't launched em yet.

What's even funnier is that nvidia rep posted on their forums that regular surround and 3D surround will be on separate driver releases. Sigh.

You are an ATI user so wth do you care about this thread? :rolleyes:

amusing. Somebody who assumes we [H]er's only own ONE brand of GPU :p

It's not like I don't Have my GTX260 laying around, alongside my HD5870.:eek:

But you're (sortof) in the right direction. This ain't the thread to march on about "3D Vision Surround.":)

I got ATI cards on 2 of my 3 desktops, so no I dont assume that but I am sure you know what I meant dont you?

Great. Another month and a half (IF nV actually releases 3D Surround in June) of two of my monitors going to waste when I could have been using my 5870s the whole time. I've been cheated for having paid $1000 for dual 480s.

They kept mentioning 3d Vision Surround in June. Maybe NV Surround will be available with the first 256 release.

Sweet I like the "performance improvements in numerous applicaitons" part of the 256driver release. Me ready.

I'm guessing improvements for only the latest cards (480/470), but we can dream. :cool:

I'm glad that Nvidia FINALLY gave a definitive answer.
I'm also fairly sure if they hadn't been contacted frequently by the press and by review sites like [H] they probably would have stayed silent.

So from now to the end of June is a month and a half. 45 days to get 3d surround up and working. You've set a deadline so GET IT DONE, Nvidia! No more stalling!

The last time they gave us a definitive answer, they missed that deadline too. I won't believe a damn word of it until the drivers are actually released and actually work.

Until then, the statements that are printed on all the boxes for GTX 470/480 are plain flat out false advertisement.

What they should of done is said some features may not be available. Least that way they got them selves covered.

june........I cant even begin to post how I feel .
lets put it this way " I WANT MY MONEY BACK NOW ! " so that way when they are working right (in june) I will buy them .

bizz wont give a shit, he already did the right thing and told nvidia to go piss up a rope by returning his 480's. anyone who is affected by this should do the same. If i didnt already have my th2g and no plans for nvidia surround or 3d gaming any time soon then thats what i would have done out of principle. I cant and wont abide by a company false advertising a product. January 2007 all over again. I guess they didnt learn their lesson from then when class action lawsuits were blowing around and their reputation for having much better drivers than ati was permanently sullied.

Help me out.....

nvidia surround is like EyeFinity, right? It's not 3D and I could make it work on my GTX 285s.
Then there's the 3D vision that will be multimonitor as well?

Honestly, if I recall, when the 5000 series was released it took a couple of months for ATI to release the drivers for EyeFinity...........and then another three months to release Crossfire support, and then another two months to release bezel correction.

I'm not seeing nvidia being too out of line here, unless they promised multimonitor at release?
I didn't follow the 480 saga that closely.

Help me out.....

nvidia surround is like EyeFinity, right? It's not 3D and I could make it work on my GTX 285s.

Honestly, if I recall, when the 5000 series was released it took a couple of months for ATI to release the drivers for EyeFinity...........and then another three months to release Crossfire support, and then another two months to release bezel correction.

I'm not seeing nvidia being too out of line here, unless they promised multimonitor at release?

No Eyefinity was working first day the 5000 series was released.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/28/amds_ati_eyefinity_technology_review/

Help me out.....

The thing is we have seen demos and conference attendees at Cebit have played on computers with 3d Surround working, so its not vaporware. Something on Nvidia's end is making them hesitate to release these drivers and I am nearly 100% sure it is performance and top-down compatibility with 2xx cards as well as 4xx cards.

Also, nvidia's main concern with 256 drivers is not surround, it's unified drivers for OEM's, particularly laptops. They make wayyyy more money selling shitty 9400m's and 230-330m's to OEM's than GTX 4xx to enthusiasts.

june........I cant even begin to post how I feel .
lets put it this way " I WANT MY MONEY BACK NOW ! " so that way when they are working right (in june) I will buy them .

I was 2 days from leaving my 30 day return window. I returned my 470 GTX and don't feel bad about it one bit. Waiting until summer is too much bullshit for me.

No Eyefinity was working first day the 5000 series was released.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/28/amds_ati_eyefinity_technology_review/

Oops.............sorry about that, I guess I was thinking about my own setup, I had to wait about three months until I could afford the monitors!

But as I recall, it was just before Christmas that the beta driver was released that added Crossfire support and bezel management was added in March officially.
So it was 6 months all told before the whole EyeFinity package was ready.

And.......if you don't have Display Ports on at least one of your monitors......the adapter problems are still not totally ironed out.

So nvidia doesn't look so bad if you just put this in perspective.

Oops.............sorry about that, I guess I was thinking about my own setup, I had to wait about three months until I could afford the monitors!

But as I recall, it was just before Christmas that the beta driver was released that added Crossfire support and bezel management was added in March officially.
So it was 6 months all told before the whole EyeFinity package was ready.

And.......if you don't have Display Ports on at least one of your monitors......the adapter problems are still not totally ironed out.

So nvidia doesn't look so bad if you just put this in perspective.

Again, you're wrong. Eyefinity worked from the get go on one video card. Whether or not you could afford the monitors for it has nothing to do with whether it was working or not. It did take slightly longer for Crossfire+Eyefinity to get working though.

The Displayport thing is a PHYSICAL limitation of the hardware, not a driver issue. DVI/HDMI signals require a timing generator. Only 2 of them are present on an ATI video card. But additional Displayport signals are supported in the architecture. They require native Displayport input on the monitor to be properly read, or use the active adapter. This is also why Eyefinity6 is possible. Those cards can support up to 6 eyefinity signals, OR up to 2 DVI/HDMI + 4 Displayport signals.

And the above reason is why you must have TWO Nvidia video cards to get Triple monitor support working. Because Nvidia cards don't even give you the Displayport option. Since each Nvidia card can only output two DVI/HDMI signals, you need another card to get the 3rd DVI/HDMI output. You don't have to pay $100 for an active adapter BUT you have to pay DOUBLE because you need two video cards.

Im glad I got rid of the GTX 480 sli setup, performance was awesome though. Can't sit around and wait months for nvidias bullshit.

Again, you're wrong. Eyefinity worked from the get go on one video card. Whether or not you could afford the monitors for it has nothing to do with whether it was working or not. It did take slightly longer for Crossfire+Eyefinity to get working though.

The Displayport thing is a PHYSICAL limitation of the hardware, not a driver issue. DVI/HDMI signals require a timing generator. Only 2 of them are present on an ATI video card. But additional Displayport signals are supported in the architecture. They require native Displayport input on the monitor to be properly read, or use the active adapter. This is also why Eyefinity6 is possible. Those cards can support up to 6 eyefinity signals, OR up to 2 DVI/HDMI + 4 Displayport signals.

And the above reason is why you must have TWO Nvidia video cards to get Triple monitor support working. Because Nvidia cards don't even give you the Displayport option. Since each Nvidia card can only output two DVI/HDMI signals, you need another card to get the 3rd DVI/HDMI output. You don't have to pay $100 for an active adapter BUT you have to pay DOUBLE because you need two video cards.

2 cards for nvidia to get surround working and double the price but also just about doyble the performance as well. I personally wouldn't ever attempt to run eyefinity or surround without at least two cards from either camp. Running that insane res without out maxed eye candy and or at 30-40fps simply ain't for me. I need frames to spare and room for fps drops which are enveitable at times. So some people see that as a limitation while I see it as necessity anyway. Course my boy tamlin here will just say that's cause I'm an nvidia fanboy. Pfft sure. I'm a fan of nice tech from any company however I do usually prefer nvidia for a multitude of reasons. just because I prefer nvidia doesn't mean I put down or dislike amd.

Yep, Eyefinity was working from day one, even for the HD57xx series (actually, all of the Evergreen stsck supports Eyefinity, however:

HD56x and lower:2 eyefinity (apparently, only those with DP output support eyefinity. HDMI output variants don't do it)
HD57xx: 5 eyefinity
HD58xx/HD59xx: 6 eyefinity

2 cards for nvidia to get surround working and double the price but also just about doyble the performance as well. I personally wouldn't ever attempt to run eyefinity or surround without at least two cards from either camp. Running that insane res without out maxed eye candy and or at 30-40fps simply ain't for me. I need frames to spare and room for fps drops which are enveitable at times. So some people see that as a limitation while I see it as necessity anyway. Course my boy tamlin here will just say that's cause I'm an nvidia fanboy. Pfft sure. I'm a fan of nice tech from any company however I do usually prefer nvidia for a multitude of reasons. just because I prefer nvidia doesn't mean I put down or dislike amd.

fanboi :D

anyhow, you can do crossfire eyefinity, for quite some time, now...:eek:

Yep, Eyefinity was working from day one, even for the HD57xx series (actually, all of the Evergreen stsck supports Eyefinity, however:

HD56x and lower:2 eyefinity (apparently, only those with DP output support eyefinity. HDMI output variants don't do it)
HD57xx: 5 eyefinity
HD58xx/HD59xx: 6 eyefinity

5970 4GB up to 12 display port

if they will ready in june is now the question :confused:

That really just seems kind of ridiculous and unncessary.

12 display-spanning, yes. Another 1GB per GPU, much needed at Eyefinity resolutions.

I wish they'd hurry up and get this out there and the other 2GB cards back in stock so I can dump my 480 SLI set up.

bizz wont give a shit, he already did the right thing and told nvidia to go piss up a rope by returning his 480's. anyone who is affected by this should do the same. If i didnt already have my th2g and no plans for nvidia surround or 3d gaming any time soon then thats what i would have done out of principle. I cant and wont abide by a company false advertising a product. January 2007 all over again. I guess they didnt learn their lesson from then when class action lawsuits were blowing around and their reputation for having much better drivers than ati was permanently sullied.

Correct.

Ha this is funny as all hell. So by the time they come out with all the features they promised, it will have been pretty much a year since they were supposed to have the card out and working. (october 09 if I remember right).

Way.to.go.

Anyhow, the 12 DP HD5970 card probably is drawing all their outputs from both GPU, which doesn't allow Eyefinity :(

But then again... AMD did demo a 24 panel Eyefinity setup... :) (DP, iirc, only daisy chains to three panels per output).

So maybe we will see multi-card Eyefinity in the future! :eek:

Back