NVIDIA rumored to be preparing GeForce RTX 4080/4070 SUPER cards

I'm thinking about what the brands like MSI, Gigabyte, etc. will include. I think they will probably be fine, but I assume some brands might not make the converters in house. And then it just makes cable management a bigger problem.
Probably not, but MSI, etc may (or may not) have some QC or standards in place. Defective products piss off customers and damage the brand.

I'm tempted...I need to upgrade from my 3080 in order to enable path tracing in Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk 2077...but Nvidia once again offering the bare minimum VRAM of 16GB versus future proofing it a bit

I'm tempted...I need to upgrade from my 3080 in order to enable path tracing in Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk 2077...but Nvidia once again offering the bare minimum VRAM of 16GB versus future proofing it a bit
Would it help to get a link to that Tom's Hardware "just buy it" RTX 2000 article?

I'm tempted to upgrade myself... but only just tempted. I've stated multiple times here on this forum I'm voting with my wallet and sitting this round out, but ARK SA is kicking my ass on my 3080... yeah its an unoptimized pos, but I LOVE ARK. it's a tough call, I just got my dedicated server setup too....

So conflicfed.

16 will likely be fine but for all the wrong reasons, expect games to be getting smaller and less graphically intense for the next while as studios down size and reign in some of the massive project bloat that has made the AAA game industry what it currently is.
Studios are going to be focusing on using canned pre optimized objects, will be letting AI assisted tools deal with Ray Traced lighting and will skip the manual process all together. DLSS and FSR will be a requirement, because now that FSR3 is here for the masses why should a studio spend 2-3 million optimizing lighting and such for non RT based lighting resources when they can instead let a development tool do the pre calculations and have it as a non option and use DLSS and FSR in place of lowering graphics settings.

Its cheaper and easier for a developer to tell us to use upscaling at performance settings than it is for them to build out graphics profiles and build in options and settings.

Nvidia brought DLSS and all its tools to market not to improve things for gamers, but to build an ecosystem that lets studios deliver the same or similar results for a fraction of the cost. They save millions by telling us to spend an extra $200.

Me too. I have 24 gb of ram on my 3090 which is the correct amount for the new cards. Prolly waiting this one out. Unless the price is right. Like what I paid for my 3090.
I "upgraded" from a 3080 10GB to a 3090 in November 2022. I got the 3090 Asus Strix variant with EK Vector Waterblock from a member here for $775. I really haven't used the horsepower and there's not a huge jump for the games I play. I just thought it was too good of a deal to pass up as I had a buyer for my 3080 at $500 and he didn't want the waterblock, so I sold that too. The 3080 was dead silent, no coil whine. The 3090, not so much. It sucks to be honest. I have to detune it to make it tolerable. Hindsight is 20/20. I wouldn't have done it again. I'd have been better off waiting for 4080 or something.

Studios are going to be focusing on using canned pre optimized objects, will be letting AI assisted tools deal with Ray Traced lighting and will skip the manual process all together. DLSS and FSR will be a requirement, because now that FSR3 is here for the masses why should a studio spend 2-3 million optimizing lighting and such for non RT based lighting resources when they can instead let a development tool do the pre calculations and have it as a non option and use DLSS and FSR in place of lowering graphics settings

:eek: :eek:

it's true...I think the only next-gen games will be the ones that use path tracing (like Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk 2077)...I'm not sure how many path traced games are in development but I think upscaling is going to be used as a crutch for the foreseeable future (until GPU horsepower catches up to where we no longer need DLSS/FSR)

luckily there are still developers like From Software who make masterpieces that don't rely on next-gen graphics but rather amazing gameplay

16 will likely be fine but for all the wrong reasons, expect games to be getting smaller and less graphically intense for the next while as studios down size and reign in some of the massive project bloat that has made the AAA game industry what it currently is.
Studios are going to be focusing on using canned pre optimized objects, will be letting AI assisted tools deal with Ray Traced lighting and will skip the manual process all together. DLSS and FSR will be a requirement, because now that FSR3 is here for the masses why should a studio spend 2-3 million optimizing lighting and such for non RT based lighting resources when they can instead let a development tool do the pre calculations and have it as a non option and use DLSS and FSR in place of lowering graphics settings.

Its cheaper and easier for a developer to tell us to use upscaling at performance settings than it is for them to build out graphics profiles and build in options and settings.

Nvidia brought DLSS and all its tools to market not to improve things for gamers, but to build an ecosystem that lets studios deliver the same or similar results for a fraction of the cost. They save millions by telling us to spend an extra $200.
What? I'm not the biggest fan of the compromises with that tech or people losing their jobs either. I just can't make heads or tails out of what you mean by wrong reason, especially if they are as you mentioned cutting back.

What? I'm not the biggest fan of the compromises with that tech or people losing their jobs either. I just can't make heads or tails out of what you mean by wrong reason, especially if they are as you mentioned cutting back.
Using DLSS as an upscaller lets them get away with lesser quality assets and textures, which are cheaper to work on and faster and blah blah blah.
If it were a new series of compression algorithms or something that gave 16GB a larger use case that’s one thing, but cutting back on asset quality is another entirely.

Maybe some studios will but others have proven to do otherwise, like Larian Studios. I think way to many of you rank graphics more important then actual gameplay these days. I also think your being overly pessimistic and believe in the AI hype train a bit too much, not every studio has a EA mindset.

Console are such a large part of what-why game engine do what they do that it is right now quite overestimating the impact of something like DLSS.

FSR yes, but that just a small increment over the best upscaling technics already used (some new title did not use FSR on console, their internal engine upscaling giving better result) and upscaling has been going on forever on console, it is in no way that big of a deal for them.
it's true...I think the only next-gen games will be the ones that use path tracing (like Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk 2077).
Those game need to run on console and will not be able to rely on a lot of raw RT horsepower on those.

Unreal 5 title that use Lumen will be the one that do not have traditional baked map first, like Immortals of Aveum I think a title that become pretty much all would be indirectly light black if you force lumen off:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PebQc3WFWk

Those game need to run on console and will not be able to rely on a lot of raw RT horsepower on those

there are many games with PC exclusive features...some of the Sony PC ports like Spider-Man, Returnal, Ratchet and Clank etc have RT features that are not available on the PS5...the same with path tracing- it just won't be available on consoles

there are many games with PC exclusive features...some of the Sony PC ports like Spider-Man, Returnal, Ratchet and Clank etc have RT features that are not available on the PS5...the same with path tracing- it just won't be available on consoles
Yes, but you will have already pre-baked everything needed to be able to run on the console, will see, but it will be much more common on Unreal 5 type of games, outside the small enough affair that can target a nicher audience (special RT edition of games a la portal RT).

Maybe some studios will but others have proven to do otherwise, like Larian Studios. I think way to many of you rank graphics more important then actual gameplay these days.
I think you are maybe reading things in reverse, studio not spending a lot of time on graphic like suggested in the message you quote is not necessarily ranking graphic above gameplay.

Tempted to upgrade but not sure if my current PC could fit it in...

I have a 850w PSU but doesn't have any of the ATX 3.0 stuff, would it still be possible to go for a 4070 or 4080 super without changing the PSU or creating a fire hazard with adapters? Also how about case space, are these new cards significantly bigger ( I know the 4090 is massive).

I "upgraded" from a 3080 10GB to a 3090 in November 2022. I got the 3090 Asus Strix variant with EK Vector Waterblock from a member here for $775. I really haven't used the horsepower and there's not a huge jump for the games I play. I just thought it was too good of a deal to pass up as I had a buyer for my 3080 at $500 and he didn't want the waterblock, so I sold that too. The 3080 was dead silent, no coil whine. The 3090, not so much. It sucks to be honest. I have to detune it to make it tolerable. Hindsight is 20/20. I wouldn't have done it again. I'd have been better off waiting for 4080 or something.
That's what I'm thinking of doing. My cheapest option is a used 3090 - your Strix has coil whine? I want at least 16gb but prefer more - which is why I'm even considering the 7900 xtx - but, I'd probably buy it used - as I doubt the price will come down much from these 40 series cards when they're released.
I am mostly looking at Tuf, Strix and FE cards - I thought these were the best 3090s - aren't they? MSI cards are also okay - Trio and Suprim - but, I rarely see these. Also, lots of sellers overprice their cards - I can almost buy a used/new 7900 xt for what they are asking.
I want it for gaming but mostly for productivity - I also have a 850w psu so I'd have to undervolt the 3090 - it's required more than the other cards - and the 4070 Super Ti - would be fine with - and that's the only new card coming out that I'd consider - but, I fear it'll be more expensive than any of my used card options.

I have a 850w PSU but doesn't have any of the ATX 3.0 stuff, would it still be possible to go for a 4070 or 4080 super without changing the PSU or creating a fire hazard with adapters? Also how about case space, are these new cards significantly bigger ( I know the 4090 is massive).
I think the fire hazard is mostly with the 4090. You can get an adapter, I believe. Others here that are well versed with that topic will probably be more helpful but I suggest mentioning your specific model of psu - so, it's easier to answer. :)
Also, research your specific psu - the model etc. - there's probably custom adapters and/or cables to connect more recent gen gpus. I have a Corsair RM850X and I recall reading about connectors/cables for connecting it to a 40 series - i.e. the 4090. I'm not able to get that but I'll be wondering about that question if I get a 4070 Ti Super or 7900 series gpu.

4070 and 4080 aren't much bigger than 3070 and 3080s. I too don't have an ATX 3.0 PSU. With an adapter, how much clearance would we need?

Does the 12v-2x6 still have the same clearance requirements?

Most RTX 4070 still use a single 8 pin connector. However, the Founders Edition and a couple of nicer partner models, do have a 12VHPWR connection. But its only for product segmentation. No 4070 actually needs more than a single 8 pin provides. Even if they technically allow big power limit increases; I believe 4070 chips are microcode locked to not exceed a certain amount of power.

As for the 4070 super....It remains to be seen? I've heard that they may all be shipping with 12VHPWR.

All cards with 12VHPWR, include an adapter. The adapter quality is fine. However, they require a lot of extra case width. Most brands now offer native cables for non-ATX 3.0 power supplies. Offers lower resistance compared to using an adapter. You can also get third party cables which have 90 degree connectors, etc.

I forgot about the PSU...I currently have a Corsair RM850x...so ideally in a perfect situation I would need to upgrade to the latest Corsair ATX 3.0 PSU? (I love Corsair power supplies so I want to stay with them)

I forgot about the PSU...I currently have a Corsair RM850x...so ideally in a perfect situation I would need to upgrade to the latest Corsair ATX 3.0 PSU? (I love Corsair power supplies so I want to stay with them)
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/y4lj45/rm_850x_and_4090/

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/s/psu-cable-compatibility

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/181523-rm850x-psu-with-rtx-4090/

Those links should help?

Edit: that's the same psu I have.

As per MLID

RTX 4080 SUPER: $999
RTX 4070 Ti SUPER: $799
RTX 4070 SUPER: $599
RTX 4070: $549 (50 bucks decrease)

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=27mT_Am9NUo

Pretty obvious price points to speculate, but I love how he calls his guesses a leak :p. The 4070ti super is going to be a nearly 4080 card at a drastically reduced price, a big win.

As we know, the RTX 4070 will get the biggest boost in this refresh, which is very much needed if we focus on the rasterization performance, because to me it seems, RX 7800 XT has already improved it's run, perhaps not via driver optimizations (yet?), but simply the most recent games showing that at 1440p and especially at 4K, RX 7800 XT is simply a faster GPU due to bandwith and straight up computational power. On top, consider what kind of RX 7800 XT models people actually buy, that offer a significant factory overclock compared to the models that RTX 4070 owners might have, which I guess are the cheapest and rather compact entry models; the reality is the Radeon is almost at the next performance tier, depending on the game of course and I must emphasize that it's the biggest factor. RTX 4070 is a fine GPU, in fact it's highly appealing even because it's energy efficient, which makes smaller care free models possible, but it's rather slow for it's price imho. RTX 4070 Super is the response to the RX 7800 XT, likely beating it in most cases, so I'd say if it is only a tad more expensive than RX 7800 XT, like around 30 euros, it will be a very welcome and wanted offering, though it will still lack memory, so please be lenient with the price Nvidia. In my eyes, RTX 4070 should be around 50 € cheaper than the RX 7800 XT to really be appealing considering how vast the difference truly is in the most recent benchmarks. If you still would pick RTX 4070 over RX 7800 XT, I can very much understand this if power consumption is a concern to you, or something driver or software related - then yes very much, but I don't feel at all that the better ray tracing performance is a thing till we reach RTX 4080 kind of performance, and the amount of memory it has, 16 GBs. Ray tracing as it is today, is always a big compromise on RTX 4070, there's no way around this; you always sacrifice image quality in other terms, like you scale the image too much or simply drop so many quality settings down till the image is worse than just having high settings without RT. Frame generation has it's irks too, not being always reliable and requiring a certain performance floor to not feel laggy, it's simply not an option for every case and player.

All this I say because I'm excited for this refreshed line-up, even if the two models above RTX 4070 Super do not offer much since they are just replacement models due to discontinuation I'd assume. So they don't offer much, but hey, more performance is more performance and eventually they will be available at least for the same money as the replaced ones - I see this only as a win! 💪 RTX 4070 Super, as said, is the thing here, it's the missing Geforce model between the gap from RTX 4070 to RTX 4070 Ti, where RX 7800 XT currently lies, in edge cases closer to RTX 4070 Ti! The situation is just the same as in RTX 2000 series when RX 5000 line-up came up, but the difference lies in that AMD is also able will fill the gaps at some point, so the market will be nicely saturated with models at every price point for the customers to be able to invest as much as they deem appropriate! It's not great if you have to decide between RTX 4060 and RTX 4070 in the case you are set on Geforce, since there has not been mind to pay for either of the RTX 4060 Ti variants if you want a punch more than the RTX 4060, though I haven't been following closely any special offers. I yet just wish the weakest models would be soon discounted so the true budget category would exist.

EDIT. grammar

Last edited:
As we know, the RTX 4070 will get the biggest boost in this refresh. This is very much needed if we focus on the rasterization performance, because to me it seems, RX 7800 XT has already improved it's run, perhaps not via driver optimizations (yet?), but simply the most recent games showing that at 1440 and especially at 4K, RX 7800 XT is simply a faster GPU. Additionally consider what kind of RX 7800 XT models people actually buy, that offer a significant factory overclock compared to the models that RTX 4070 owners might have, which I guess are the cheapest and rather compact entry models; the reality is the Radeon is almost at the next performance tier, depending on the game of course and I must emphasize that it's the biggest factor. RTX 4070 is a fine GPU, in fact it's highly appealing even because it's energy efficient which makes smaller care free models possible, but it's rather slow for it's price imho. RTX 4070 Super is the response to RX 7800 XT, likely beating it in most cases, so I'd say if it is only a tad more expensive than RX 7800 XT, like around 30 euros, it will be a very welcome refresh, though it will still lack memory, so please be lenient with the price Nvidia. In my eyes, RTX 4070 should be around 50 € cheaper than the RX 7800 XT to really be appealing considering how vast the difference truly is in the most recent benchmarks against RX 7800 XT. If you still would pick RTX 4070 over RX 7800 XT, I can very much understand this if power consumption is a concern to you, or something driver or software related, then yes very much, but I don't feel at all that the better ray tracing performance is a thing till we reach RTX 4080 kind of performance - and the amount of memory it has, 16 GBs. Ray tracing as it is today, is always a big compromise on RTX 4070, there's no way around this; you always sacrifice image quality in other terms, like you scale the image too much or simply drop so many quality settings down till the image is worse than just having high settings without RT.
All this I say because I'm excited for this refreshed line-up, even if the two models above RTX 4070 Super do not offer much since they are just replacement models due to discontinuation I'd assume. They don't offer much, but hey, more performance is more performance and eventually they will be available at least for the same money as the replaced ones - I see this only as a win! RTX 4070 Super though, that is the thing here, it's the missing Geforce model between the gap from RTX 4070 to RTX 4070 Ti, where RX 7800 XT currently lies, in edge cases closer to RTX 4070 Ti! The situation is just the same as in RTX 2000 series when RX 5000 line-up came up, but the difference lies in that AMD too will fill the gaps at some point and the market will be nicely saturated with models at every price point for the customers to be able to invest as much as he deems appropriate! It's not great if you have to decide between RTX 4060 and RTX 4070 in the case you are set on Geforce, since there has not been mind to pay for either of the RTX 4060 Ti variants if you want a bit more than the RTX 4060, though I haven't been following closely any special offers. I yet just wish the weakest models would be soon discounted so the true budget category would exist.
Paragraphs help if you want anyone to read what you've written :).

So the base 4080 just ceases to exist?
Don't know why they would keep making it since it no longer fits in the product stack. The 4070 Ti SUPER is going to be close to the original 4080 in performance at 66% of the cost if the $799 price point is true.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. My cheapest option is a used 3090 - your Strix has coil whine? I want at least 16gb but prefer more - which is why I'm even considering the 7900 xtx - but, I'd probably buy it used - as I doubt the price will come down much from these 40 series cards when they're released.
I am mostly looking at Tuf, Strix and FE cards - I thought these were the best 3090s - aren't they? MSI cards are also okay - Trio and Suprim - but, I rarely see these. Also, lots of sellers overprice their cards - I can almost buy a used/new 7900 xt for what they are asking.
I want it for gaming but mostly for productivity - I also have a 850w psu so I'd have to undervolt the 3090 - it's required more than the other cards - and the 4070 Super Ti - would be fine with - and that's the only new card coming out that I'd consider - but, I fear it'll be more expensive than any of my used card options.

I think the fire hazard is mostly with the 4090. You can get an adapter, I believe. Others here that are well versed with that topic will probably be more helpful but I suggest mentioning your specific model of psu - so, it's easier to answer. :)
Also, research your specific psu - the model etc. - there's probably custom adapters and/or cables to connect more recent gen gpus. I have a Corsair RM850X and I recall reading about connectors/cables for connecting it to a 40 series - i.e. the 4090. I'm not able to get that but I'll be wondering about that question if I get a 4070 Ti Super or 7900 series gpu.
Yeah, it definitely whines. It doesn't help that it's in an open air test bench set up at ear level 2 or 3 feet to my left.

They just need to bring back the titan models and it will be history repeating itself.

It can't cost more than a 7900xtx if it wants to compete otherwise ... well fools will still part with thier money

If people would just stop paying 2000 for gpus we could see 4090s for 599 again but society will do what makes the least sense.

Reactions: pavel
like this
If people would just stop paying 2000 for gpus we could see 4090s for 599 again but society will do what makes the least sense.
Crypto ruined that forever. Charge too little and we just go back to the scalping days in 2020/2021

Back