Nvidia rtx 3090 discussion

I haven't made any changes to my 3090 FE yet, so pure stock I am seeing 19,269 in the graphics score of Time Spy and an overall score of 18,040.

I guess I should have added that one of the reasons why I haven't overclocked yet is because I haven't yet played a game on my system that needed more oomph when playing at 4K/60Hz and max settings, v-sync capped and g-sync enabled. I need to do more testing with my Valve Index at 120Hz and see if I run into instances where a GPU clock boost would help.

Now when I eventually replace my monitor and go with something that is more like 4K at 120/144Hz, then a speed bump from an overclock will most likely be helpful. But until then, I will enjoy the excellent performance at a lower power draw and cooler temps.

Red Dead 2 is the only game I've tried that can still bring the 3090 to its knees on max settings. It pulls 30'ish FPS, but not much more.
The Crysis Remaster supposedly does the same.

Red Dead 2 is the only game I've tried that can still bring the 3090 to its knees on max settings. It pulls 30'ish FPS, but not much more.
The Crysis Remaster supposedly does the same.
What are you setting it at? I’ve got mine at 4K and almost all settings are maxed out save for maybe the MSAA (I don’t feel it is needed as much at 4K) and I am averaging at 57 fps...and that is only because I have Rivatuner set to cap frame rate at 57fps to prevent stuttering that may occur g-sync is turned on and frame rate is bouncing off of v-sync limits. When I had those turned off, average frame rate was higher.

What are you setting it at? I’ve got mine at 4K and almost all settings are maxed out save for maybe the MSAA (I don’t feel it is needed as much at 4K) and I am averaging at 57 fps...and that is only because I have Rivatuner set to cap frame rate at 57fps to prevent stuttering that may occur g-sync is turned on and frame rate is bouncing off of v-sync limits. When I had those turned off, average frame rate was higher.

That's just me going through every single setting and turning it as far up as it'll go. MSAA is the one that probably affects FPS normally (especially over 4X), but some of the giant list of advanced settings can, too.

That's just me going through every single setting and turning it as far up as it'll go. MSAA is the one that probably affects FPS normally (especially over 4X), but some of the giant list of advanced settings can, too.
I just doubled checked my settings. MSAA and FXAA is turned off and everything else is set to their highest settings (High or Ultra). Water and Volumetric are both set to custom and under the advanced settings they are both set to their highest settings. These settings at 4K give me an average of 57fps (the frame rate cap I have set via Riva Tuner). With 2x MSAA I average 50fps and with 4x MSAA I average 41fps.

Turn down or turn off the MSAA and see what kind of improvements you see. If you are still not getting frame rates equal to or better than mine (Again, frame rate cap in place), then you may need to investigate something else to figure out why the low frame rates. The 3090 should be doing better than that in RDR2 based on my settings and what I have seen reviews accomplish.

I just doubled checked my settings. MSAA and FXAA is turned off and everything else is set to their highest settings (High or Ultra). Water and Volumetric are both set to custom and under the advanced settings they are both set to their highest settings. These settings at 4K give me an average of 57fps (the frame rate cap I have set via Riva Tuner). With 2x MSAA I average 50fps and with 4x MSAA I average 41fps.

Turn down or turn off the MSAA and see what kind of improvements you see. If you are still not getting frame rates equal to or better than mine (Again, frame rate cap in place), then you may need to investigate something else to figure out why the low frame rates. The 3090 should be doing better than that in RDR2 based on my settings and what I have seen reviews accomplish.

It averages in the mid 50's for me...but then again, I wouldn't call that "maxed out" when you're directly omitting raising settings that are known to have a pretty big effect on performance, too. Even if you consider the settings to irrelevant or even detrimental, turn MSAA to 16 and enable FXAA and the card struggles. Especially with everything else turned up. I'm not saying you aren't right - it looks and runs rather well like this. But if you're looking for an example of a game that the card can't crank everything up to 11 on, RDR2 still takes the cake. At least if you want decent FPS.

I'm losing hope on getting a 3090 before Cyberpunk. I haven't put much effort in but have checked microcenter's page every morning. Anyone have any tips on getting one without sitting at my PC 24/7 refreshing pages?

It averages in the mid 50's for me...but then again, I wouldn't call that "maxed out" when you're directly omitting raising settings that are known to have a pretty big effect on performance, too. Even if you consider the settings to irrelevant or even detrimental, turn MSAA to 16 and enable FXAA and the card struggles. Especially with everything else turned up. I'm not saying you aren't right - it looks and runs rather well like this. But if you're looking for an example of a game that the card can't crank everything up to 11 on, RDR2 still takes the cake. At least if you want decent FPS.
My Opinion:
Raising certain graphical settings that make little to no observational improvement to the viewer yet takes a huge performance penalty just for the sake of calling it maxed out is in the same boat as someone that insists on running their games at higher frame rates than their monitor's refresh rate.

For me, the higher the resolution you go, the less AA you need (screen size and seating distance dependent). The MSAA in RDR2 is not very efficient at all (many have complained about it) and does take a huge performance hit. FXAA seems to smooth edges out with minimal performance impact but at cost of bluriness. The sweet spot appears to have TAA at Medium or High and adjusting TAA sharpness to your liking. I wouldn't recommend trying to run all of them together.

I'd argue that your definition of "maxing out" is an arbitrary one - so what if it struggles with 16x MSAA on RDR2? At any point in time, if you took the highest end card, and then tried to run the most demanding games with high amounts of AA, you would experience the same thing. You're not really making an effective point by saying X card can't run Y game with all the settings turned up, because if you're running a game at 4k, the performance cost of turning on something like MSAA to 4x+ is simply not going to be worth it in any situation, and I bet you could find more games than just RDR 2 which would struggle. I would understand your point if you were actually missing out on visual fidelity, but you aren't really losing any of that by not running the game at 16x AA.

I'm losing hope on getting a 3090 before Cyberpunk. I haven't put much effort in but have checked microcenter's page every morning. Anyone have any tips on getting one without sitting at my PC 24/7 refreshing pages?

I bought a scalped 3080 on the bay, sold my 2080ti for cash, then traded that cash + 3080 for a 3090FE in a starbucks parking lot "Miami Vice" drug deal style transaction three weeks ago....and have zero regrets!

I just got notified for the EVGA 3090 FTW3.

I'd have preferred a Founder's Edition (even though this should be faster), but I'll take it. Especially since as long as you do a Notify Me, you get placed on a queue. No need to fight bots, check every 30 minutes to see if something is in stock, have product alerts, etc.

The only problem I had with the process is that I apparently used a different email than the one associated with my EVGA account, but hopefully that can be resolved easily enough.

I've gotten several alerts from Amazon that I put in place 2-3 weeks before launch day. When I clicked on them, they told me they they expected stock at the end of November. Pre-ordering was not an option, either.

I just got notified for the EVGA 3090 FTW3.

I'd have preferred a Founder's Edition (even though this should be faster), but I'll take it. Especially since as long as you do a Notify Me, you get placed on a queue. No need to fight bots, check every 30 minutes to see if something is in stock, have product alerts, etc.

The only problem I had with the process is that I apparently used a different email than the one associated with my EVGA account, but hopefully that can be resolved easily enough.
Congrats. It's a nice card! EVGA rocks. Always a good place to have a $2,000 investment. :)

Well there some hope for you then Cyberpunk is delayed til 12/10.

I picked up a PNY XLR8 yesterday. Beastly card. Pretty quiet though. Could not get g-sync working with my LG 49" nano TV though.

Card arrived today, and outside of having to wait until the weekend to get more power cables (as the power supply box was in storage, and had to unplug from my 2nd video card to supply the 3rd 8 pin connector), and some initial fan knocking, everything seems to have gone well. I did need to move my hard drive cages, as they were lower, causing somewhat of a tight space with the 3090, but I'll give Cooler Master some credit here. It wasn't one big hard drive cage, but multiple small adapters, so I have more than enough room for multiple 3090s, whenever I can get another 3090 FTW. (I'm still upset though with Cooler Master, in that it's been 2 years, and I still can't order another SSD cage, excluding Ebay, as it only came with 2 with "More to come soon").

Overall impressions is that it seems to be a single card solution that's about the speed of the 2080 TI SLI.

Now just waiting for a new 5000 series Thread Ripper as well as a desktop 4k HDR 120+Hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling (2021 hopefully?).

I managed to order one as well. Not sure if i want to keep it after seeing the 6900XT slides.

The AMD announcement combined with the possible cancellation of the 20GB version of the 3080 made me happier about my 3090 purchase. It fits the niche I wanted.

The AMD announcement combined with the possible cancellation of the 20GB version of the 3080 made me happier about my 3090 purchase. It fits the niche I wanted.
AMD's track record for video editing and AI workloads kept me from going team red. CUDA optimizations have come to far in that regard. If there is an official announcement of a 3080 20GB within my return window I may consider it, but I got an FE so it's probably the same price as an AIB 3080 20GB if one were to exist.

Best Buys website worked a whole lot better this time. After you clicked to add to the cart, it showed something like 'wait for another step' for a minute or so... after that I had no problem changing delivery and payment even. Maybe you are 'safe' now once you have it in the cart?

Best Buys website worked a whole lot better this time. After you clicked to add to the cart, it showed something like 'wait for another step' for a minute or so... after that I had no problem changing delivery and payment even. Maybe you are 'safe' now once you have it in the cart?
I wasn't going to take that chance. I used the app and it did the waiting for more inventory thing, I got it the second time it said add to cart, rushed to checkout (accidentally did store pickup instead of ship to home, but at least I don't have to worry about shipping mishaps or it getting stolen off my porch this way). Once in checkout on the app, I couldn't change delivery but could change payment info. All worked well.

Does anyone here use 8k resolution, with 3090?
Just curious
Doubtful. The only 8k TV out atm is the LG OLE are going for 30k. There are some crappy samsung 8k TVs for 4k or so. There are monitors atm I believe that are 8K.

mnewxcv do you prefer the FE over all others? just curious
I do. It looks and feels solid, it is basically all one piece so you can pick it up from anywhere, while some AIB cards if you tried to pick up by the shroud it would probably crack or come apart. No part of the FE card construction has any flex whatsoever.

At the end of the day, it comes down to preference. I'd rather have something that looks like a chunk of metal because I like it to look more like a tool than a toy. I prefer a clean look than a loud look. Which you can tell from my build (look in the rate my cables thread) being 99% greyscale with the only color coming from the power led and a fan sticker.

Doubtful. The only 8k TV out atm is the LG OLE are going for 30k. There are some crappy samsung 8k TVs for 4k or so. There are monitors atm I believe that are 8K.
I mean the RTX 3090 performance - 8k
Would the 3090 achieve 25 fps, generally speaking ??

I mean the RTX 3090 performance - 8k
Would the 3090 achieve 25 fps, generally speaking ??
The only reason an RTX 3090 can even remotely be marketed as an 8K GPU is because of the 24GB VRAM. Beyond that, it is woefully underpowered to be able to produce playable framerates on any new-ish game at high detail settings. If you want 8K, you have to turn down settings a lot in most games. We're just not there yet.

Order from Australian retailers lol, some shops have them available in stock.

The only reason an RTX 3090 can even remotely be marketed as an 8K GPU is because of the 24GB VRAM. Beyond that, it is woefully underpowered to be able to produce playable framerates on any new-ish game at high detail settings. If you want 8K, you have to turn down settings a lot in most games. We're just not there yet.
But they always overhype the resolution capabilities far ahead of it's actual ability.

Do you remember the GTX 980 series card, they marketed it as the first true 4K card but it was actually far from it.

Even today 4K struggles.

Has anyone used liquid metal on their 3090? Thinking of tearing it down this weekend to apply some to be able to get lower fan speeds. Just wondering if they saw any decent improvement, specifically on the iCX3 cooler.

Last edited:
Has anyone used liquid metal on their 3090? Thinking of tearing it down this weekend to apply some to be able to get lower fan speeds. Just wondering if they saw any decent improvement, specifically on the iCX3 cooler.

It's a few C better than good thermal paste according to people who did LM them. Probably around 3-4C lower than something like Kryonaut Extreme or Thermalright TFX. It will probably do better if you're on water cooling, where you won't be saturated by heat soak. The stock heatsinks wind up getting heat saturated too easily.

I got an Aorus RTX 3090 Master here on the forums from a member. Upgraded from a 2080 Ti that I will probably sell now. Love the new card.

I just got the FE, is it just me or is this card ridiculously quiet for being FE? Also the temps hover between 68-71C playing RDR2, cyberpunk and crysis remastered, not sure how this is possible?!

Back