Nvidia rtx 3090 discussion

This is my favorite 3090 build so far.

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/j29bav

x7q9m2xht5q51.jpg

His cable management looks a lot cleaner than mine (y)
Ouch, lol. I'm cringing just at the power rating on the power supply not the brand as they do have some good units. I guess they are just going to let the system tell them if its enough. Queue this guy on r/pcmasterace troubleshooting instability in 5 minutes.

Was aiming for a 3080, but snagged a 3090 TUF instead off Amazon. I never thought I would be so happy to part with $1600 for a video card... jesus.

Obtained mine off new egg the same way. Literally F5's for a week. Although I'm waiting for my 3080 to also ship.I dont know which one I'll keep.

They really did. Spending roughly a week almost non-stop looking for one online will do that to ya. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia is artificially limiting supplies of the 3080 in order to sell more 3090's. The profit margins on the 3090 have to be huge.
I had to bot my 3080 and got in the step-up queue for the second one needed for the house. But 3090 have been easy as hell to the point I bought one for the wife just seeing if it was going to be hard, it wasnt. I've helped a couple co-workers get 3090's. It's has to be that the bots aren't liking the risk in a 3090 vs the 3080. Sure some bots are getting them but I'm seeing way more humans getting the 3090.

Ouch, lol. I'm cringing just at the power rating on the power supply not the brand as they do have some good units. I guess they are just going to let the system tell them if its enough. Queue this guy on r/pcmasterace troubleshooting instability in 5 minutes.

I plan to 1 up that guy and run a 3090 on a 450W PSU. :D

Wccftech article already has an undervolt article where they have a 3080 running at 230W and only 5% in perf was lost.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
I plan to 1 up that guy and run a 3090 on a 450W PSU. :D

Wccftech article already has an undervolt article where they have a 3080 running at 230W and only 5% in perf was lost.

He's using a "Super Flower" power supply... you'll have to do better than that.

like this
Noticed that the TUF 3090 "only" has 2 8-pin connectors. Hopefully my 750-watt EVGA gold unit is up to the task.

He's using a "Super Flower" power supply... you'll have to do better than that.

Aside from the goofy name Super Flower is a big PSU manufacturer and supplied some of the EVGA G series back in the day among other brands. I wouldn't be surprised if that is a decent 650 watt unit.

Been around the block a few times here.. never heard anyone recommend a Super Flower power supply by name for a performance build. Looks like they do not really have a retail presence in the US.

Last edited:
Tossed my block on today. Also flashed a Gigabyte BIOS on my Zotac 3090 for the increased power limit. Seems to be working well. Boosting 2GHz reliably.

View attachment 285184

Seems like most are just using 1x PCI-e cable even though some manufacturers recommend 2x (or 3x) PCI-e cables. Just an FYI if you guys run into any problems, which I kinda doubt you will.

like this
I have some braided cables on order. Lost my AX1500i pouch w/ all the spares. Whoops.

I have a AX1200i, and just spent about a half hour finding the pouch.. but I did. yay. Still impressed with the quality.

Where are you guys getting these cards without paying a scalper 2200+ ?

I’d like the FE preferably but no love so far

I got mine from EVGA on the morning of launch. The site was crashing left and right, but I managed to get it in the cart and kept trying to check out. All my info was already in, luckily. After 5-6 minutes it finally worked.
A good resource is this site: https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx3090/
You can straight up ignore all of the alerts. They're barely updated and when they are, the product is probably sold out by then.
The key is the threaded discussion. People are honestly really nice and looking to help one another out. If someone has stock, they'll post it and they'll do it quickly. That's how a lot of people have managed to get 3080's and 90's. PS5's and XSX's, too.

Not sure if this happens with every new install of Precision X1, but a new version of the program was released this morning. Along with it came another firmware update for my EVGA 3090 FTW3.

I still haven't received the TUF 3090 yet. However, I did receive a 3080 FE from the Best Buy drop last Friday. Looks like I will not be joining the 3090 fam.

I got mine thanks to a Best Buy in-stock email alert (of all things) - but it makes sense after reading that NVIDIA is using them as their official etailer until they can get their store's act together. Both trackers I was using didn't even peep about Best Buy's stock, and when I went to buy I had to whack the "Add to Cart" a ton of times (which a script or bot wouldn't do - so I guess that's how I got through).

My Zotac 3090 arrived this morning. Ran a benchmark, then ran the Zotac overclocking software which ran the card slower :)

0.jpg

Best Buy came through! Lovin' this FE; it's big, beautiful, quiet & cool! Boosts to 2GHz out of the box with no overclock. Only paid MSRP. Feels good to beat the bots and the scalpers through good, old fashioned hard F5 smashing!

Just curious - any 3090 owners having crash issues in Borderlands 3? The card easily plays the game with "Badass" details at 60fps in 4K. Yet the damn game keeps crashing on me. Sometimes when there's a lot going on. Other times when nothing is happening. I've tried DX11, DX12, Full-Screen, Bordlerless, adding command line additions, capping the FPS, etc. No luck. I'm playing on Mayhem 10, which introduces additional chaotic elements...but my 2080Ti never had these problems. I'm assuming it's driver related (other games run fine), but am trying to get to the bottom of things.

Just curious - any 3090 owners having crash issues in Borderlands 3? The card easily plays the game with "Badass" details at 60fps in 4K. Yet the damn game keeps crashing on me. Sometimes when there's a lot going on. Other times when nothing is happening. I've tried DX11, DX12, Full-Screen, Bordlerless, adding command line additions, capping the FPS, etc. No luck. I'm playing on Mayhem 10, which introduces additional chaotic elements...but my 2080Ti never had these problems. I'm assuming it's driver related (other games run fine), but am trying to get to the bottom of things.

What's your page file (virtual memory) set to?

How are you guys doing on your overclocks? I just hit 21,373 in TimeSpy graphics score with +114 power, +100 core, and +400 memory. I think I got one of those golden binned chips Jensen saved for his FE's :D. I was going to go for a Strix but I think I'll be happy with this. Finally, the 4k slayer has arrived!

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51917847

Last edited:
I'll have to double check my individual scores (my overall was like 16,900), but I was OC'ing my EVGA with 107 power +100 core and +200 memory.
I'm still trying to get to the bottom of why mine is oddly unstable in certain games and tests, though.

Port Royal is the main adopted benchmark for RTX cards it seems. Thats where all the action/battling is going on. Give it a run.

Back