Nvidia Previews Unreleased GPU

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
Nvidia gave conference-goers a tease of their new flagship GPU, suspected to be the GTX 580 we posted last week. A vapor chamber cooling solution that not only offers cooler operating temperatures, but also is seven decibels quieter than the GTX 480, some performance graphs, a tessellation demo, and oh, Call of Duty: Black Ops gameplay footage.

It's completely nearly silent

lawls - I'm excited to see what the new card brings although I'm sure the only reason they're drumming up excitement is because the "launch" will be on paper only

when i hear vapor chamber, the first thing that comes to mind is sapphire's vapor-x series. Is it something similar to that because i thought sapphire had that cooler patented or something...

^^

uh, 5 websites doesn't qualify as a tonne of preorders. Food for though, techpowerup is NOT getting a review sample...

Either the card is in short supply or nvidia is being really picky with who they send out cards to.

^^

uh, 5 websites doesn't qualify as a tonne of preorders. Food for though, techpowerup is NOT getting a review sample...

Either the card is in short supply or nvidia is being really picky with who they send out cards to.

5 sites with several models is tons of preorders... for an unannounced product ;).

I'd say this one:
"nvidia is being really picky with who they send out cards to"
is correct, just like ATI/AMD/Intel they blacklist sites at times ;).

when i hear vapor chamber, the first thing that comes to mind is sapphire's vapor-x series. Is it something similar to that because i thought sapphire had that cooler patented or something...

vapor chamber huh, about time they use all that excess heat for something good!

pot smokers rejoice!

I kid i kid.

Looks great, but i think ill pass for DX12

p.s. the camera man should be shot...

They just cost to much money for the amout of use we get from them. I have 2 DX11 games, so I still have not upgraded my GTX260's yet.
I did like what the video shows, so maybe I will pull the trigger in 2011 for new GPU's.

So... why would they demo Black ops during an event focused on DX11 capabilities? I thought Black Ops was another DX9 title?

Hopefully they make a good showing. Life is always the best when both nVidia and ATi have good products and have to snipe at each other price wise.

incredible. 2 billion polygons per sec!!!!! Displacement mapping that change characters realtime. And we have tech demos to show off the hardware because the $console industry$ has completely removed pc game exclusivity that pushes the hardware. Too bad those 2 billion polygons aren't used in COD black ops. The card will be great no doubt because it'll be cooler and 20% faster than the 480. But too bad all this technology is not utilized as far as pc gaming goes, unless you play in surround or crank the eye candy at high res for it's fillrate power but the more important features aren't used.

The excitement of the Voodoo 2/Quake 2 pc hardware/software days are long gone until those aging consoles are put to rest.

I'm excited to see what the 580 really has to offer, but if it can't do 3 monitors with one card, i don't care how fast it is, i won't be buying one.
I'll stick with my 460 and get a second one.

thats the fucking lamest tech demo presentation ive ever seen, i like how all the fans are just sucking it up while their attention is kept in focus by the hat showering. horrible

The excitement of the Voodoo 2/Quake 2 pc hardware/software days are long gone until those aging consoles are put to rest.

I would actually venture to say these aging consoles is actually a good thing for PC gaming. Here's the deal, it's hard to justify a $1500 gaming PC when a $350 console offers graphics that are perceivably within 75% of a PC's graphical quality to the general public (I realize 1920x1200 with 16x FSAA is WAY more than 25% better than 720p with 2x FSAA, but the general public honestly doesn't).

However.... as these consoles age 5+ years, the divide between PC and consoles ever widens, and that is when people actually notice the graphical difference between the two.

I've seen this pattern every year for the last 15 or so years... New console comes out, PC sales dip. Couple years later, PC is back on top for a few years, rinse and repeat. The only difference now is these consoles may just have a 10yr lifespan... and I guarantee the graphical divide will be MASSIVE at the end of that cycle... until another console comes around with a GPU thats simply matching the best a PC provides and the 10yr cycle repeats. I'd venture to say the PC will be "on top" for much longer between cycles now...

Developers probably go multi-platform for now because the platforms are all so similar, but the PC is no longer really "on par" with xbox or ps3, in 2 years the PC's graphics are going to be so far beyond consoles that I see developers releasing PC only releases again, not just multi platform releases... that is until the next whizbang console comes out and the cycle repeats itself

Someone tell this guy that three decibels louder is twice as loud, not ten! I love how marketing people make shit up when suits their purpose. Stopped watching right there.

incredible. 2 billion polygons per sec!!!!! Displacement mapping that change characters realtime. And we have tech demos to show off the hardware because the $console industry$ has completely removed pc game exclusivity that pushes the hardware. Too bad those 2 billion polygons aren't used in COD black ops. The card will be great no doubt because it'll be cooler and 20% faster than the 480. But too bad all this technology is not utilized as far as pc gaming goes, unless you play in surround or crank the eye candy at high res for it's fillrate power but the more important features aren't used.

In a couple years the new generation of consoles will be released and will use gpu's like this one and you'll see those kinds of games being made.

So... why would they demo Black ops during an event focused on DX11 capabilities? I thought Black Ops was another DX9 title?

This event is PDXLAN 16.5 (I am there now) which means the focus is gaming. Black Ops was shown because it is about to be released and has not been shown in public yet.

I have the Black Ops demo recorded in 3d stereo (3d camcorder) which I can post when I get home if you all are interested.

Uhhh, wat? If it's boiling water it isn't running that cool. Hopefully a PR guy fail.

Not necessarily. What happens to the boiling point of water when you put it under a vacuum? It gets lower. A lot lower. most of the heat pipes around use water in a vacuum.

this guy must have been a tv preacher before. and the alien has a shadow between its legs that made it look like there was a dick swinging left and right lol.

Not necessarily. What happens to the boiling point of water when you put it under a vacuum? It gets lower. A lot lower. most of the heat pipes around use water in a vacuum.

True. I didn't consider vacuum. I also didn't consider that much effort went into a vapor chamber heatsink.

Someone tell this guy that three decibels louder is twice as loud, not ten! I love how marketing people make shit up when suits their purpose. Stopped watching right there.

Decibels use a log base 10 formula to determine sound intensity, and therefore every 10 decibels the sound doubles. PR guy win ;).

Decibels use a log base 10 formula to determine sound intensity, and therefore every 10 decibels the sound doubles. PR guy win ;).

Ooops. I'm posting without coffee in the morning again. You're indeed correct as of course a log base 10 formula increases 10 fold for every 10 decibels. PR guy (and myself) fail :D.

In fact in a complete vacuum water boils below room temperature. Most high school chemistry classes do a demonstration of this. Take a beaker of water and put it in a vacuum chamber. As the air is pumped out, the water will start boiling quite vigorously. However when you stop and feel the beaker, it is actually very cold (from the energy loss due to boiling).

The boiling point is directly related to the pressure. At 1 atmosphere (sea level) it is 100 degrees C. As the pressure drops, so does the boiling temperature.

In the case of a sealed chamber like that, as the water boils off to vapor, that will cause a pressure increase due to having more gas molecules, and thus raise the boiling point. So a balance is always maintained.

Basically all that a vapor chamber does in actual practice is spread heat very efficiently. The liquid (doesn't have to be water) boils off, the gas them spreads out over the whole chamber, as gasses do. At the top are all the heat fins, which then rapidly cool the gas, causing it to condense and go back to a liquid. This lets you spread the heat from a very small area to a very large one efficiently and evenly.

It solves the problem of how to get heat out to a large heatsink form a small source quite nicely. Only real downside is cost, they are more expensive than heatpipes (which work on the same principal) or just a big ole block of metal.

In fact in a complete vacuum water boils below room temperature. Most high school chemistry classes do a demonstration of this. Take a beaker of water and put it in a vacuum chamber. As the air is pumped out, the water will start boiling quite vigorously. However when you stop and feel the beaker, it is actually very cold (from the energy loss due to boiling).

The boiling point is directly related to the pressure. At 1 atmosphere (sea level) it is 100 degrees C. As the pressure drops, so does the boiling temperature.

In the case of a sealed chamber like that, as the water boils off to vapor, that will cause a pressure increase due to having more gas molecules, and thus raise the boiling point. So a balance is always maintained.

Basically all that a vapor chamber does in actual practice is spread heat very efficiently. The liquid (doesn't have to be water) boils off, the gas them spreads out over the whole chamber, as gasses do. At the top are all the heat fins, which then rapidly cool the gas, causing it to condense and go back to a liquid. This lets you spread the heat from a very small area to a very large one efficiently and evenly.

It solves the problem of how to get heat out to a large heatsink form a small source quite nicely. Only real downside is cost, they are more expensive than heatpipes (which work on the same principal) or just a big ole block of metal.

Isn't this largely defeated due to the fact that the card will be upside down (hot part on top) when mounted in a PC?

Actually, it depends. With respect to sound, it depends on what you mean. 3dB represents a doubling of acoustic power intensity. 6dB represents a doubling of voltage and thus of the sound pressure. 10dB represents a doubling of the psycho-acoustic loudness.

We hear (and see) on a logarithmic scale so it does take 10dB for us to perceive something as being twice as loud. However it is indeed 10 times the power, not twice. An amplifier with 20dBW of power is a 100 watt amp, an amplifier with 30dBW of power is a 1000 watt amp. To actually double sound intensity you only need 3dB, which is why a noise source plus another noise source will never be a total of more than 3dB above the loudest of the sources.

So it kinda depends on what you mean when you say sound doubles.

you don't understand how it [The thermal cooling method being employed in the card] works.

Am looking forward to upgrading my GTX280 (2xSLI) to the GTX580.
I have a high end case and air cooled system which is optimally lowering noise and heat factors to a comfortable level for me. And, as said, I am going to upgrade to the 580.

With that said I want to ask for a knowledgeable reply to my question.

At one time I had my system water cooled using a highly respected manufacturer's system of pumps and tubing. It was installed by a boutique computer builder known on this Forum.
An unanticipated water cooling system developed after 10 months, the system was returned to the builder and they refitted the system to my present efficient cooling system.

QUESTION: To the best of your knowledge do the water cooling systems employed in GPUs encounter leakage? Have you heard reports of such leakage in past GPU's?

Thank you.

Isn't this largely defeated due to the fact that the card will be upside down (hot part on top) when mounted in a PC?

No, the vapor chambers have a wick around the edge that channels the liquid back where it is supposed to go (a micro capillary action). They work independent of their orientation to gravity. It is pretty cool materials tech actually, and works real well.

Just looking over Sapphire's explanation of their vapor chamber offerings:

#1 Heat source heats Vaporization Wicks.
#2 Working fluid, pure water, is easily vaporized due to the extreme low pressure (<104 Tor or less)
#3 Water vapor moves easily through the vacuum until.
#4 It meets the Condensing Wick - adjacent to the cooled surface - and turns back to a liquid state.
#5 The liquid is then absorbed by the Transportation Wick by capilary action and moved back towards the Vaporization Wick.
#6 The recycled liquid is then reheated and re-vaporized by the Vaporization Wick and the process repeats.

My guess is the "transportation wick" alleviates that issue.

Back