Nvidia : Kepler will be unbeatable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said Kepler will be available within around six weeks of when the 79xx lineup finished, which was Feb 1st-2nd for receiving cards from vendors. The 7970 came out in mid-Jan, but the 7950 didn't come until the beginning of Feb. Beginning of feb ------> mid-late March = 6 weeks. I guess you didn't actually read what I had said :confused:?

I believe this is HardOCP.com where the majority of the users would care about that January 7th release date of the 7970 with the hopes of buying 1 or 2+ for crossfire. I think it would be much for fair to consider when the single-chip flagship card from nVidia comes out versus when the single-chip flagship card from ATI came out. In which case, your looking at January 7th versus mid-march or about 10-weeks.

Assuming that nVidia does in fact release its best-card-first and doesn't do a mid-range card to buy time to overclock, solve heat/power issues or whatever else could potentially be wrong with their highest-end single-gpu card.

I said Kepler will be available within around six weeks of when the 79xx lineup finished, which was Feb 1st-2nd for receiving cards from vendors. The 7970 came out in mid-Jan, but the 7950 didn't come until the beginning of Feb. Beginning of feb ------> mid-late March = 6 weeks. I guess you didn't actually read what I had said :confused:?

I said 79xx, a specific subset. Not the whole 7xxx series. As in, first part of series to first part of series. Apple to apple.

so then by your logic, we can compare the time the 79xx was complete to the time that ALL high end keplers are released.

so even if the GTX680 launches in 2 weeks, the GTX 670 is still 2 months out and we use that date....?(which is still pretty silly)

Last edited:
Alright, perhaps that wasn't the best thought assertion I've ever made :p. Still, if we go from Jan to mid march, that's 10-11 weeks, which is basically nothing as far as most of us are concerned, let alone the general market. I'm just saying that those going on about how a given company is "falling down" and "late to the party" are a little out of touch with how things work.

By the way, calling someone a fanboy doesn't bolster your argument. Especially when said person gets called one for a given company alternating years.... Rofl.

Alright, perhaps that wasn't the best thought assertion I've ever made :p. Still, if we go from Jan to mid march, that's 10-11 weeks, which is basically nothing as far as most of us are concerned, let alone the general market. I'm just saying that those going on about how a given company is "falling down" and "late to the party" are a little out of touch with how things work.

Except that in terms of someone like me, who just sold one of my 6850s, dealing with a single 6850 on an eyefinity setup means I'm very ready to buy a new card. If I was in this position mid January, I'd have bought by now. I'm still debating on whether to buy a 7950 RIGHT NOW or wait another month or more on a card that really CAN'T run my display setup. I'm ok going back to a single display for a little bit, but I have the money now that I sold a card and I'd rather not "settle" for my current setup for more than a couple weeks. I'm finding myself wanting to buy today rather than the end of this week. For people in situations like me, a 10-11 week lag is an eternity. I may end up waiting just because I try to be smart with how I use my hard-earned money, but its going to just continue to be harder to wait with every additional day. Also- the general market- they don't even know or CARE when the next thing will be released. They are going to find what they want, and buy now regardless of how soon the next GPU is released, so by that mark alone 10-11 weeks is 10-11 weeks of NOT selling new GPUs to people who look and buy but don't follow the tech.

Especially when said person gets called one for a given company alternating years.... Rofl.

When were you ever called an AMD fanboy? The only times I recall seeing your name are when you vehemently claimed Fermi (GTX480) would blow everything out of the water before it was released (and talking about your pre-order IIRC), and now, with a lot of "GTX680 will kill while being cheaper" talk ;).

And you wondered why somebody called you "mr nvidia"....
Conveniently taking 7950's release date instead of 7970's.
BTW, you don't know when GK104 will be available on retail, but still claim it will be 6 weeks after 7950.

This is a rumor thread. You are speculating too in claiming it won't.

Hmm, I read that as "Kepler will be unstable" :D

And it will, I expect shit video drivers just like people who bought 7950/7970 got. It takes a year before AMD gets stable drivers so bying the latest and greatest in video technology is a suckers game. That's why I just ordered a GTX580.

And it will, I expect shit video drivers just like people who bought 7950/7970 got. It takes a year before AMD gets stable drivers so bying the latest and greatest in video technology is a suckers game. That's why I just ordered a GTX580.

Troll much? Looking at your posts. You smell like the underside of a bridge. ;)

Both companies make good products and both have their own issues.

Unbeatable!

"Nobody needs more than GTX 640 Kepler." --Bill Gates

(*cough* sorry!)

Unbeatably Power Hungry.
Unbeatably Overpriced.
Unbeatably Delayed.

Yep. Kepler is going to be unbeatable. :D

And everyone will read the reviews to see what nV is cooking up.
People hate, but they'll rapidly press F5 on launch day.

If you paid more than $300 for a 580 now, your're a sucker.
Buy something slower because of drivers?....lol

Boy, after all the shit talking from nv and forum fanboy's/haters, someone is going to be looking really stupid when this thing launches. There's always a bunch of wild ass speculation around new products, but Kepler has been especially...interesting. I hope it blows my 6970's out of the water so I have a reason to upgrade. Otherwise, I'll be sitting out this generation for sure.

After this and "the 7-series disappointed us" Nvidia better knock this one out of the park. As in 50% performance gains over the 7970 across the board.

After this and "the 7-series disappointed us" Nvidia better knock this one out of the park. As in 50% performance gains over the 7970 across the board.

Why would that be necessary? You people keep saying 15-20% like the Radeon 7970 pulled off over the GTX 580 is great, so how would 45-50% over the 580 not be? Why would it need to be over the 7970 when it is a MID-RANGE card and the first of nVidia's 28nm generation?

If you paid more than $300 for a 580 now, your're a sucker. Buy something slower because of drivers?....lol
I'd take a somewhat slower car versus a car that explodes every time you try to change the oil (frequent driver installer failures) and sputters for the first four miles every time you turn the key (one to two month lag time on driver updates for new game releases).

It isn't an unreasonable thing.

I'd take a somewhat slower car versus a car that explodes every time you try to change the oil (frequent driver installer failures) and sputters for the first four miles every time you turn the key (one to two month lag time on driver updates for new game releases).

Agreed... that's why I'm anticipating Kepler so much. So long as it provides a decent price-performance and "good" absolute performance, I'm grabbing two.

Driver installer failures? Sounds like you have something incompatible with your system. I have never had a problem installing AMD drivers, or NVIDIA for that matter. I've switched between multiple cards and Red/Green drivers on the same OS install with no problems.

Your analogy is horribly flawed. You could argue it's like missing the drain pain while changing the oil.... equating a driver install bug with a catastrophic and deadly incident is idiotic.
The irony is that your flawed analogy actually fits better with the multiple times that NVIDIA drivers have broken fan speed and caused cards to overheat/fry.

Driver installer failures? Sounds like you have something incompatible with your system.
Based on what evidence do you propose such a theory?

Your analogy is horribly flawed. You could argue it's like missing the drain pain while changing the oil.... equating a driver install bug with a catastrophic and deadly incident is idiotic.
The analogy was for illustrative purposes only. I can't be held responsible for those who choose — of their own free volition — to read too deeply into it.

For your future forum viewing pleasure, however, I will make certain to append a lengthy disclaimer to my next so-called "horribly flawed" analogy.

Based on what evidence do you propose such a theory?

The analogy was for illustrative purposes only. I can't be held responsible for those who choose — of their own free volition — to read too deeply into it.

For your future forum viewing pleasure, however, I will make certain to append a lengthy disclaimer to my next so-called "horribly flawed" analogy.

I suppose, basic troubleshooting? If the installer works flawlessly on multiple systems, yet doesn't on another.... OH OH OH...I can use a car analogy! If I do a compression test on a 4 cyl engine and it's very low on one but expected results are observed on the others...something is out of place either with the expected results or the non-expected result.

It's saddens me to read driver/game install/play issues where people rage out over stuff not working, as if they've been singled out to have problems. Maybe I'm just really lucky, but unless it's a widespread and well known issue that 90% of the end users are affected, I've rarely run into driver or game issues.

A full disclaimer is not necessary, a :rolleyes: would suffice. :)

edit: Back on topic. NVIDIA needs to play their hand and stop with this poo flinging. If what they have is faster people will buy it. I have no allegiance to red or green, I typically have better results from green drivers but their high end cards turn my gaming room into a sauna.

Last edited:
I suppose, basic troubleshooting? If the installer works flawlessly on multiple systems, yet doesn't on another....
It's been my experience that it doesn't work flawlessly on multiple systems, as I've encountered the same issues on multiple systems. We're back to square one.

In any case, the point is that people who've had bad experiences with a company's products will pay more for similar products from a competitor if they're more confident that they're going to experience fewer issues. It's not in any way irrational to sacrifice a bit of performance for stability.

It's been my experience that it doesn't work flawlessly on multiple systems, as I've encountered the same issues on multiple systems. We're back to square one.

In any case, the point is that people who've had bad experiences with a company's products will pay more for similar products from a competitor if they're more confident that they're going to experience fewer issues. It's not in any way irrational to sacrifice a bit of performance for stability.

Oh so what you're saying is that your systems are the control cases. I had it all backwards, silly me. :cool:

Sounds like we need to call in the Mystery Machine.

We'll call this episode Scooby Doo and the Pernicious PEBKACer.

Well, when they release these cards, they better live up to these promises. Too many empty promises and the consumers stop believing you. NVIDIA that cried wolf. I'd like to see some great competition, but until they can produce real numbers, it's just BS talk.

I don't have any faith in AMD's claims anymore. They blew that with Bulldozer. Even Microsoft has lost some of my trust (for several reasons, none related to Windows 8).

Money (numbers and benches) talks, bullshit walks.

Well, when they release these cards, they better live up to these promises. Too many empty promises and the consumers stop believing you. NVIDIA that cried wolf. I'd like to see some great competition, but until they can produce real numbers, it's just BS talk.

Technically, nobody has promised anything yet. All we have is speculation based on rumors and some marketing post on Facebook.

Technically, nobody has promised anything yet. All we have is speculation based on rumors and some marketing post on Facebook.

This... not sure why people think it's some kind of actual official news, and that talking about rumors makes someone need to "live up to promises". I'd put in an LOL smiley but this forum doesn't have one :(.

Oh so what you're saying is that your systems are the control cases. I had it all backwards, silly me. :cool:
On an entirely different system, on a perfectly fresh installation of Windows, where the only common hardware component is an AMD product, what do you imagine would be the cause of an issue relating to the installation of drivers for that AMD product?

Not sure how much more "control" you could possibly hope for, unless you believe that the common component of the person double-clicking the executable is the cause (which, given your attitude, is likely the case, however nonsensical that may be)

Sounds like we need to call in the Mystery Machine. We'll call this episode Scooby Doo and the Pernicious PEBKACer.
It's always simply a matter of time before a brand defender rushes in to assert that any issues encountered with a product of said brand is attributable solely to user error. You at least get marks for being to express it in a marginally amusing way.

On an entirely different system, on a perfectly fresh installation of Windows, where the only common hardware component is an AMD product, what do you imagine would be the cause of an issue relating to the installation of drivers for that AMD product?

Not sure how much more "control" you could possibly hope for, unless you believe that the common component of the person double-clicking the executable is the cause (which, given your attitude, is likely the case, however nonsensical that may be)

It's always simply a matter of time before a brand defender rushes in to assert that any issues encountered with a product of said brand is attributable solely to user error. You at least get marks for being to express it in a marginally amusing way.

sounds more like an actual hardware issue with the CARD than drivers to me. DOAs happen and a simple RMA may have solved ALL of your problems. who knows. I had that type of issues with the last Nvidia card I bought (GT240) and it turned out to be a DOA card, should I go around claiming Nvidia's software sucks because of it? No- I ended up with a bad card and returned it- it happens.

"Wait for Kepler"? Sounds a lot like "Wait for Fermi", where Nvidia claimed that they would have an incredible performance increase. Seven months after the 5870 arrived, they put out a card that was a shade faster and used 50% more power.

Or "Wait for the FX series", when they said they would more than double the 9800 pro.

They need to take a page from AMDs book. Don't talk a big game, just release your product and let the product speak for itself.

It's like Nvidia's PR is done by Vince McMahon.

but this time Kyle said 50%

Kyle SPECIFICALLY said 45-50% in CANNED BENCHMARKS. I think it will be fast, but I don't think it will be a full 45-50% faster than the 580 in REAL WORLD performance.

they said the same thing about the Geforce FX 5800 Ultra :p

Kyle SPECIFICALLY said 45-50% in CANNED BENCHMARKS. I think it will be fast, but I don't think it will be a full 45-50% faster than the 580 in REAL WORLD performance.

Actually didn't Kyle say that he heard a rumour that it was 45-50% faster. He didn't see this first hand. So we are still waiting on facts :-(

"Wait for Kepler"? Sounds a lot like "Wait for Fermi", where Nvidia claimed that they would have an incredible performance increase. Seven months after the 5870 arrived, they put out a card that was a shade faster and used 50% more power.

And yet they ended up having the fastest single card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back