Nvidia : Kepler will be unbeatable

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I want to see these new cards (and own one), I'm not getting my hopes up at all, just in case they pull a "Bulldozer". ;)

Honestly though, they can't afford to screw this one up.

lol @ nvidia beating on their chest.
I had to rma my gtx 580 so I picked up a 7970 reference card and I am fucking in love. BF3 is all that I played that needed a boost and now it's sexytime. No bugs from 6900 series either and I am on rc11 driver.
If kepler was out I probably would have got one... oh well I'm happy

release the card, wont perform.. claim a %30 boost with the next drivers, that will take months to come out :) and give people nothing but crap beta drivers until then.

release the card, wont perform.. claim a %30 boost with the next drivers, that will take months to come out :) and give people nothing but crap beta drivers until then.

lol thats exactly what amd did with the 7900 series, good job on figuring that out

Well what else do people expect these companies to say. Truth in advertised would lead to something like this:

AMD: "These new 7 series cards will performance exactly the same as the 6 series card did at all price points under $500. We are offering the best value to the consumer by not changing anything"

Just read this on another page there. I thought 28nm meant less power needed and not more? That's how it works with the 79xx cards from AMD. My enthusiasm for Kepler just dropped down a notch.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphi...a_GeForce_Kepler_Graphics_Card_Published.html

"According to some media sources, the external power supply system may include two 6-pin and an 8-pin PCIe power plugs, which means that the card will have rather high power consumption."

It's a catch 22, because it is supposedly offering unbeatable performance. If it has that over the 28nm 7970, that could be why.

If Nvidia can produce themselves a card that's marginally faster then the 7970 and has the ability to run at least three screen surround off one card they will have a winner imo.

I'm holding out for it and want to see how competitively it's priced compared to the 7970.

Aren't those the same connections the 79xx uses? Connections do not equate to actual power requirements...

Um no this nvidia card will be the first card with THREE power connections, 2x6pin and 1x8pin
Up till now nothing has had more than 2x8pin on one board...

Aren't those the same connections the 79xx uses? Connections do not equate to actual power requirements...

Actually....

the external power supply system may include two 6-pin and an 8-pin PCIe power

7970 has just a six and an eight, hence why we're all assuming higher power reqs.

Until we see something more then just talk then its just talk...

I don't think it's likely they'd use 2x6 and 1x8. One of the 6-pin connections is unused on the board due to the HSF overlapping it, hence them using an additional socket (double-decker) that can accommodate the 6-pin and 8-pin sockets. If that's even the board that makes it to final manufacturing, I think it'd be more likely they'd cycle between using two standard sockets or the double-decker socket depending on the cooling solution used.

They really just need to shut the fuck up already. Cut the talk, show benchmarks, and be done with it. How hard is that? If your card is unbeatable, then show us for crying out loud. The comments last month about how they're disappointed about the HD7000 cards make me suspect this whole thing is a scare tactic to steer people away from AMD's new cards, this seems to be typical of Nvidia.

They really just need to shut the fuck up already. Cut the talk, show benchmarks, and be done with it. How hard is that? If your card is unbeatable, then show us for crying out loud. The comments last month about how they're disappointed about the HD7000 cards make me suspect this whole thing is a scare tactic to steer people away from AMD's new cards, this seems to be typical of Nvidia.

this. If their card really is so incredible, why not show it? It is most definitely a scare tactic. and a cheap one at that.

Don't get me wrong, I am not voting red either, I just think all of this waiting is a bit stupid.

I'm so ready for Kepler. I doubt I will be able to resist ordering as soon as I see it for sale.

If its really unbeatable, then it better come out fast and take my money...

If it's another Fermi or Bulldozer, then they really need to STFU.

Just read this on another page there. I thought 28nm meant less power needed and not more? That's how it works with the 79xx cards from AMD. My enthusiasm for Kepler just dropped down a notch.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphi...a_GeForce_Kepler_Graphics_Card_Published.html

"According to some media sources, the external power supply system may include two 6-pin and an 8-pin PCIe power plugs, which means that the card will have rather high power consumption."

different process, AMD used a low power process Nvidia used a high power process, and on top of that made a giant chip as usual.

fermi 2.0

sure its faster but it also comes alot later. just need to see offical benches and prices to see which color i want to go.

Um no this nvidia card will be the first card with THREE power connections, 2x6pin and 1x8pin
Up till now nothing has had more than 2x8pin on one board...

evga_gtx580_classified_01.jpg

1x 6pin 2x 8pin

But where do you get 3 power connectors from? All the "leaked" models have 2. The PCB diagram shows two different configurations of connecting them up. 1x 8 + 1x6 or a stacked double connector.

I think these two sentences say all that needs to be said about that article:

if not, then it sports 256-bit memory bus, which is something strange.

The GK104 chip does not seem to be too huge and therefore too expensive. Some believe that Nvidia is also preparing code-named GK100 chip, which will have even higher graphics and compute performance.

It's pretty well assumed it will be 256-bit memory bus, and there is definitely a GK100 (actually GK110) in the works. If they can't get those two things right, why would we believe the card will use 3 power connectors when even the GTX 590/HD 6990s only use two?

fermi 2.0

sure its faster but it also comes alot later. just need to see offical benches and prices to see which color i want to go.

6 weeks is "a lot later"? ...

No. Just, no. AMD hasn't even finished making their high/mid-range 79/78xx series available, with the 78's coming towards the mid-end of this month (March), and the 7950 only having become available at the very beginning of February. By the time Kepler is out it will have been around six, seven weeks from the 79xx series becoming fully available, and probably right around the same time as the 78's.

1/11/12 is when i received my 7970. It's March 5th now. I'd say thats almost 8 weeks, not 6.

1/11/12 is when i received my 7970. It's March 5th now. I'd say thats almost 8 weeks, not 6.

I said Kepler will be available within around six weeks of when the 79xx lineup finished, which was Feb 1st-2nd for receiving cards from vendors. The 7970 came out in mid-Jan, but the 7950 didn't come until the beginning of Feb. Beginning of feb ------> mid-late March = 6 weeks. I guess you didn't actually read what I had said :confused:?

I said Kepler will be available within around six weeks of when the 79xx lineup finished, which was Feb 1st-2nd for receiving cards from vendors. The 7970 came out in mid-Jan, but the 7950 didn't come until the beginning of Feb. Beginning of feb ------> mid-late March = 6 weeks. I guess you didn't actually read what I had said :confused:?

LOLOL This post made me laugh so much. Using this logic then you can't count the release of the first Kepler card as the official release, you have to wait until all parts become available, which will mean Nvidia will be over 6 months late as the highend Kepler isn't coming until Q3 or so.

LOLOL This post made me laugh so much. Using this logic then you can't count the release of the first Kepler card as the official release, you have to wait until all parts become available, which will mean Nvidia will be over 6 months late as the highend Kepler isn't coming until Q3 or so.

I said 79xx, a specific subset. Not the whole 7xxx series. As in, first part of series to first part of series. Apple to apple.

Last edited:
I said 79xx, a specific subset. Not the whole 7xxx series. As in, first part of series to first part of series. Apple to apple.

lol, ok, no matter which way you twist it, it's still wrong. But lets go with the first part of the series, to the first part of the series. First part of the series for amd was released on the 9th of January. First part of the series for kepler will be?? still waiting.

Or if you mean starting from when the last high end AMD card was released, well then that was early february, like you said, the whole of the high end parts for kepler won't be released until?? Q3 was the last rumour I heard.

So either way you take it Nvidia are either going to be over 2 months after AMD or 8 months.

But what you are actually doing, to make Nvidia sound better, is to take the release date of the 7950 and say that the first kepler card is only 'x' number of weeks later than Tahiti based on that. LOL You can't do that. Tahiti came out on the 9th of january in stores. That's the release date, not when the second tahiti card comes out.

If Nvidia can produce themselves a card that's marginally faster then the 7970 and has the ability to run at least three screen surround off one card they will have a winner imo.
Agree. I think there's a pretty large cross-section of users who simply will not buy AMD products as a result of past experiences with those products. Kepler's performance doesn't need to be stratospheric: it just needs to be at least on par with AMD's current generation and similarly priced.

I don't care.......can it run Crysis...........that's all that matters........:eek:

Honestly, I am fearing a $600 GPU with a Fermi appetite and heater.
Nvidia tried this billshit with Fermi and it got them nowhere. (and I'm not a hater, just because I have AMD cards.....if this thing is better I'll sure buy two...;) )

Just like in the latest round......wait for the refresh (ie GTX 580) which is a much better card, quieter and cooler than the 480 ever was.:D

This article is so so terribly written that it's pretty funny. Some of the statements, are so generic and given to be true, its like someone is setting up initial declarations in a math proof:

"In fact, Nvidia says Kepler is the best graphics processor ever designed by the company".

No, really? If it was a lesser performing graphics processor and therefore inferior, nVidia would have gone terribly wrong with the GTX 680. When ever has the successor to a graphics processor been worse than the precessor?

"yields of chips made using 28nm process technology at TSMC, including Kepler, are lower than the company originally anticipated and therefore their costs are high and Nvidia's chief executive recently complained that the company cannot get enough wafers."

There will be limited supply and high demand. High demand will result in higher prices. Wow, someone get this guy a professorship teaching economics at harvard!

"...considerable performance improvements and will likely make the GPU more flexible in terms of programmability"

Wow, so they are saying that the GTX6xx series will have performance improvements over the GTX5xx series? Amazing! They are so sure if their information, its even possibly maybe likely likely that maybe likely it will be "more fexible in terms of programmability".

"Both AMD and Nvidia start "unofficial" advertising campaigns well ahead of actual next-generation product releases by leaking alleged photos, benchmarks, parts of presentations and so on. Official advertising campaigns start much later in the cycle several weeks ahead of actual release or announcement." "Nvidia Corp. has officially started advertising campaign of its next-generation ... The company has posted a word on a Facebook wall claiming that performance of Kepler would be unbeatable."

Anyone notice the rather odd double-talk? Unofficial advertising campaigns are leaks of alleged photos, benchmarks and presentations. nVidia has started its "official" campaign by writing on facebook basically alleged performance. Sounds like nVidia's "offical" campaign is an unofficial campaign by this author's own definition. Suggesting that nVidia is not that close to releasing Kepler.

"The company claims that it had signed contracts to supply mobile versions of GeForce “Kepler” chips with every single PC OEM in the world"

...So nVidia is planning to sell the chips they are making in PCs that people can buy in stores? Particularly, even more obviously mobile chips that come in laptops that are almost always pre-built and not custom-built? Its like this article was written by Captain Obvious of Planet Observaton himself.

And you wondered why somebody called you "mr nvidia"....
Conveniently taking 7950's release date instead of 7970's.
BTW, you don't know when GK104 will be available on retail, but still claim it will be 6 weeks after 7950.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back