• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NVIDIA has lost a fanboy (rant)

AMD only needs to release cards that out perform their competition. The other things are secondary goals. Enthusiasts would like a more energy efficient solution that produces less heat, but few people would discount buying an AMD/ATI card that out performed a comparable NVIDIA card on the basis of it's energy efficiency and heat output. Though there are few exceptions such as HPC use, but generally speaking, I don't think those two things would hugely impact sales. Performance and price sells cards more than anything.
I returned my 8800GTS to the store because it made my room hotter, I don't want a heater, I want a video card.

So I was sure psyched to see the 3850 using less power and thinking I'd buy that card and be happy (for a while, anyway) if only it was either a little cheaper or a little better performing. I can't see paying $180 for it when the 8800GT is only $30 - $50 more. (Hell no I'm not considering a crazy jacked up price gouge price of $300 for the 8800GT). I've seen the 8800GT for sale more than once at about $230 or less.

It's a little sucky to be stuck with a 6600GT, but, I'm waiting until I can go to a store and pickup my card for MSRP or less, whichever one it is I end up getting.

My first choice would be a 3870 for under $200 'cause I'm not very happy with Nvidia presently either.
 
I miss the Verite V1000... When was that, TEN years ago now? And that chip ran the FPS of the day with AA way back then - VQuake
 
How about the Kyro chipsets?

I owned a Kyro II (3D Prophet 4500) card for a total of maybe 6 hours.

At the time, the aging Voodoo 5 could run the only game I played at the time (1nsane) at around 200+fps... Kyro II couldn't even pull 25 at lower details and resolution.
 
I don't give a shit about DX 10.1. I do give a shit about NVIDIA not innovating because they think they don't have to.

On the flip side, why should they innovate when they don't have to? DX 10.1 is fluff, it's not even an official release yet and even when it is it won't change anything. Why should they waste money designing, testing, tweaking it only to pass the price to the consumer? Frankly I'm glad they don't just go for bulletpoints on a box sticker to sell more cards. Let the product speak for itself, and it is speaking loud and clear.
 
I miss the Verite V1000... When was that, TEN years ago now? And that chip ran the FPS of the day with AA way back then - VQuake
Edge AA. It was pretty nice until Rendition stopped supporting it in the drivers. :mad:

edit: how about those BitBoys? :p
 
Good riddance, we dont need anymore fanboy's. Dont let the door hit you on the way out...
 
Forget all that bang-for-the-buck-no-matter-which-company mentality.
I've been reppin' the small n (Not Big due to Nintendo) forever, it's not going to change.
I knew nVidia had me when they gave us a reason to buy video cards in the first place (Riva was *meh* but the GeForce 256 opened a whole new can of worms) and now I believe I will fall on my own sword with Intel and nV. I laughed at Rage3D and I nearly got expelled from school when I was in the lab looking at how Futuremark screwed us nVidia fans in benchmarks (pfft @ exploits) since I was violent when I saw all the reviews favoring the 9700 and saying the 5800 ultra was a technological BUST :( (I almost did actually)

Have I owned an AMD/ATi part? Yes but I've never kept them for long. I bought an x1800xt 512 when my friend told me it's going to be "awesome" and I didn't use it for over 2 weeks. Infact I gave it way (didn't feel ATi's parts were worthy to even be sold since it was robbery) and I bought 2 7800 512 MB GTX's (Yes, 2 512s, that cost me 1k each card) and I never regretted it.
I had a radeon 9700 vanilla when my ti4400 died and PNY didnt pick up the phone for RMA (Thx PNY, DIAF) and I needed an intermediate.

I also had an AthlonXP 2000+ which I only got because the salesman pressured my dad to not let me have an expensive 533 mhz P4 running RDRAM but I got my way 1 year later paying 1k for a 3.2 GHz Single Core 800 mhz FSB P4 and my 5900 Ultra (woot).

I <3 nVidia/Intel. Too bad in this world we can't have only nVidia and Intel peddling their wares and for anti-monopolization constitution's sake we're going to see ATi and AMD for a long time :(

I said bye to the non-pure fanboy. To be a fanboy you must be one with the brand, I am and I always will be!
 
I returned my 8800GTS to the store because it made my room hotter, I don't want a heater, I want a video card.
My 8800GT and my 21" CRT are making great heaters. My room is warm this winter. Its pretty cool!

forcefed said:
Good riddance, we dont need anymore fanboy's.

People really do need to get over that "brand loyalty" shit. Buy the product with the best price/performance ratio and let that be the end of it. In the SNES vs. Genesis days I was a hardcore Nintendo fanboy and that made me miss out on a lot of great Genesis titles. That carried over to the N64 and I missed out on the Dreamcast. Later on, I realized that I had been a gigantic faggot and vowed to never rub weiners again.
 
I'm a SEGA Fanboy so I always had it good -- My brand loyalty never failed me so when SEGA died I refused to align myself with any brand so I bought all 3 consoles :)
 
I do hope you are talking about SLI, which is a really bad investment for the added preformance..because the 8800 will run fine on the X38?

Yes talking about SLI on a 680i board. Although I'm personally not too keen on SLI, I can't deny that it is the most powerful GPU setup. Too bad it doesn't run on X38. And I'm not about to get an nVidia board just for this, so if I ever need to increase GPU power, and "if" AMD/ATI ever happens to have a great scalable solution...

(too many "ifs" - it's all theory as it is perhaps expecting a bit too much for AMD/ATI to have a competitive high end solution soon)
 
Edit: To clarify, I don't give a fuck about DX10.1, but NVIDIA just shows how lazy and unwilling to innovate they are by not including it in G92.

In the last three years, I have owned a 6800GT, two 7800GTXs, two 7800GTs, a 7600GS, a 7600GT, two nForce 4 motherboards, a 680i motherboard, and an 8800GTS. I bought so many of NVIDIA's damn products that they sent me a customer appreciation pack with stickers and junk like that in the mail (I shit you not). As someone who was really enthusiastic about their products, I've recently become pretty disappointed with NVIDIA as a company.

Point #1: 680i launch. Enough said.

Point #2: NVIDIA doesn't support Direct X 10.1 yet in their new products. For shame! We've known about this specification change for many months now and NVIDIA should have had time to add this to their new 65nm chips. Instead they went the lazy, bare minimum route (as usual) and released a card that slightly edges out ATI's card in performance but lacks in features. I'm deeply disappointed that they didn't come out with something that actually replaces the 8800 series like they should have. Why bother innovating when they don't have what they consider to be serious competition?

I'd rather buy two slightly slower cards that together will give me more performance and more features for cheaper than NVIDIA's ancient "flagship" card. The flagship card that they won't be bothering to replace with something significantly faster like they should have this month, since they can just milk money out of their current outdated technology.

That's how NVIDIA does business. The bare minimum. I'm aware that it make sense from a financial standpoint. But for a former enthusiast like me, that's a real kick in the balls.


i'll alert the media.

i am sure nvidia has noted your extreme disapointment re coming out with new cards when you demand them, but there is a microscopic possibilty that their timetable works out better for them than yours.


ps re your "customer appreciation package" - how did nvidia know how many of their products that you have bought?
 
I'm a SEGA Fanboy so I always had it good -- My brand loyalty never failed me so when SEGA died I refused to align myself with any brand so I bought all 3 consoles :)

That's good. My problem with "fanboyism" is that, number one, fanboys are hurting themselves. Gamer fanboyism is the worst. If you are an honest-to-god game-lover, then there is at least one thing that every system has to offer that you would enjoy. I don't care for the PS3, for example, but I really like Tekken, Soul Calibur and Resistance, so I have to give it the nod.

Number two, fanboys get on forums with all of this generic rage, and just piss everyone off. That shit needs to stop. We're all gamers. Unnnniittttyyyyy!

As far as video cards are concerned, the Radeon 9700 fucking rocked, and nVidia fanboys were deluded to argue against it. The 7900's and the X1900's were pretty evenly matched. I bought an X1900 for the one reason - it ran Oblivion better. Well, my X1900 failed recently, and the 8800GT's are all the rage...but my 8800GT failed. I'm happy with my replacement. It rocks my socks.
 
My 8800GT and my 21" CRT are making great heaters. My room is warm this winter. Its pretty cool!



People really do need to get over that "brand loyalty" shit. Buy the product with the best price/performance ratio and let that be the end of it. In the SNES vs. Genesis days I was a hardcore Nintendo fanboy and that made me miss out on a lot of great Genesis titles. That carried over to the N64 and I missed out on the Dreamcast. Later on, I realized that I had been a gigantic faggot and vowed to never rub weiners again.

This made me spew my water all over my keyboard, and I'm now typing on a new one. Wow, that was funny. I +1 on the brand loyalty, it is pretty ignorant.
 
I think 'fan boys' are funny. I've always been a pure best bang for the buck guy. That being said I do think the fact that the gtx/ultra are still the top of the line after being out for around a year means we are due for some new high end cards. And IMHO you've got to be kidding yourself if you think that nvidia doesn't have a new high end card ready to go/almost ready to go, they've had an f'ing year and I bet the new high end card is gonna rock. Of course the previous sentence is my opinion, if you don't agree with it then stfu.
 
The 9700 rocked because Futuremark decided to say "Hey nVidia FU your card was made to do what you said it would but it makes it look too fast in our Synthetic benchmark so we're gonna apply a patch that ruins you!"
The thing about the fanboyism hurting oneself when it comes to games I have to agree. Since Sega is forever gone I enjoy all 3 but even before when I had a dreamcast it was tough to sit there and not play EA games so I know what you mean :)
 
heh and then you go and discredit yourself :rolleyes:



edit: it's like a train wreck, i can't look away.
 
I think I own you all as far as nvidiots go...

I started with a tnt, not just any one the Canopus Spectra 2500 for use with

*drumroll*

3DFX SLI!

I then jumped on the GeForce

_worked_ for nvidia in Cali because I was a zealot by that point, got disillusioned, learned reality etc... went home with engineering sample geforce 3...

6800GT

7800GS

8800GTX...

go with what's best for you at the time, when the next high end comes out, if you want it, get it, no point in making a big deal of it, so many other important things in life, life altering, changing etc that make this whole concept of so and so company OWES me something so damn trivial... to be young and naive like that again, if I met myself in the past touting the whole 3dfx vs nvidia crap I spewed during those years, I'd bitch slap me into the corner for being such a dumbass.
 
I think I own you all as far as nvidiots go...

I started with a tnt, not just any one the Canopus Spectra 2500 for use with

*drumroll*

3DFX SLI!

I then jumped on the GeForce

_worked_ for nvidia in Cali because I was a zealot by that point, got disillusioned, learned reality etc... went home with engineering sample geforce 3...

6800GT

7800GS

8800GTX...

go with what's best for you at the time, when the next high end comes out, if you want it, get it, no point in making a big deal of it, so many other important things in life, life altering, changing etc that make this whole concept of so and so company OWES me something so damn trivial... to be young and naive like that again, if I met myself in the past touting the whole 3dfx vs nvidia crap I spewed during those years, I'd bitch slap me into the corner for being such a dumbass.

I can beat that:

Riva 128
Riva TNT1
GeForce 1 DDR
GeForce 3 Ti 500
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra (yeah, that's how much of an nVidia fan I was back then)
GeForce 6800 GT
GeForce 7950 GT
GeForce 8800 GT

I've never owned a video card that wasn't nVidia.
 
Want a cookie? Your money. Choose what floats your boat. That type of thinking limits your choices.

Indeed. Fanboism might as well be called "stubborn and narrowmindedness". I bought an 8800 GT over the 3870, because 1, i got it locally and two i only paid 240 total and i can return it up until Jan 31st.
 
Want a cookie? Your money. Choose what floats your boat. That type of thinking limits your choices.

I think you're reading a little too much into it. The only point was, in retrospect, I have owned a lot of nVidia cards...
 
I think you're reading a little too much into it. The only point was, in retrospect, I have owned a lot of nVidia cards...

And the flipside to that coin is his point was that your limiting your choices due to your company loyalty, which is stubborn and narrowminded. I find people who brag about being a fanboy pretty funny...you willingly bought a product for more money that clearly did not perform as well...fanboism...yes, stupid......absolutely. As a consumer, why would you do that when you have other options? Do you not appreciate being a consumer or did you not have a choice in the matter?
 
I don't mean to start a flame war or anything, but at the OP, I have never heard such nonsince before, the ONLY thing I agree with is the 680i. It did have some bugs that needed fixing quick. Also if you do some research you will find that DX10.1 is no more than a meaningless update for now, like DX9b to 9c, same thing almost, if you are a gamer and you have a DX10 card then your good for now. Newer and better stuff is always coming out no matter who you go with, thats why I just stick you who ever has the best thing out at the time.
 
Edit: To clarify, I don't give a fuck about DX10.1, but NVIDIA just shows how lazy and unwilling to innovate they are by not including it in G92.

In the last three years, I have owned a 6800GT, two 7800GTXs, two 7800GTs, a 7600GS, a 7600GT, two nForce 4 motherboards, a 680i motherboard, and an 8800GTS. I bought so many of NVIDIA's damn products that they sent me a customer appreciation pack with stickers and junk like that in the mail (I shit you not). As someone who was really enthusiastic about their products, I've recently become pretty disappointed with NVIDIA as a company.

Point #1: 680i launch. Enough said.

Point #2: NVIDIA doesn't support Direct X 10.1 yet in their new products. For shame! We've known about this specification change for many months now and NVIDIA should have had time to add this to their new 65nm chips. Instead they went the lazy, bare minimum route (as usual) and released a card that slightly edges out ATI's card in performance but lacks in features. I'm deeply disappointed that they didn't come out with something that actually replaces the 8800 series like they should have. Why bother innovating when they don't have what they consider to be serious competition?

I'd rather buy two slightly slower cards that together will give me more performance and more features for cheaper than NVIDIA's ancient "flagship" card. The flagship card that they won't be bothering to replace with something significantly faster like they should have this month, since they can just milk money out of their current outdated technology.

That's how NVIDIA does business. The bare minimum. I'm aware that it make sense from a financial standpoint. But for a former enthusiast like me, that's a real kick in the balls.



I think your nuts,IMHO.

For one,DX10.1 is a waste of time,and will continue to be for years to come.If any ones to blame its AMD and ati.


Too bad AMD, which is significantly larger than nVidia, appears to be unable to offer decent competition to nVidia (or Intel). They are a multi-billion dollar company. Where is all that R&D money going?



Wake up and take a step out of fantasy land.Its the exact opposite. :)

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=NVDA

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=amd
 
So what nvidia left out DX10.1 support big whoop.

ATI did the same thing when they didnt include DX9.0C (AKA SM3.0) support in the x8xx generation of cards. The difference is all sources point to 10.1 being of no real benefit to anyone over DX10 while 9.0c from 9.0 was an important revision.

If these things are enough to make you stop buying Nvidia you will quickly find the grass really isnt greener in ATI land...
 
I find people who brag about being a fanboy pretty funny...you willingly bought a product for more money that clearly did not perform as well...fanboism...yes, stupid......absolutely.
I wouldn't exactly call it stupid. Narrow-minded, perhaps, but not stupid, not unless he knows he would have been happier had he made other decisions.

We all wake up in the morning to do certain things, and so long as you aren't stripping away someone's rights to do those things, who cares? He spent his money (assumably the money he earned) the way he wanted to spend it. There are no doubt people here that are his polar opposite, and will only buy ATi/AMD cards, and that's fine too. Whatever floats the boat.

Now, the idea that a NVIDIA fanboy could be turned off by a lack of SM4.1 support? If you ask me, that's stupid.
 
I'm turned off by them releasing an cheap rehash of the 8800 series a year after it came out. Sure the 8800GT is great, but NVIDIA should have released the 9 series already.
 
I'm turned off by them releasing an cheap rehash of the 8800 series a year after it came out. Sure the 8800GT is great, but NVIDIA should have released the 9 series already.

you dont get it i dont think.....they didnt even really need the G92.....they've been on top for so long, not only did they release G92 when they didnt have to, they released it cheaper than any other GPU in a price/performance way....i mean, listen to yourself, you are mad because they released a GPU they didnt have to, for cheaper than ever, without a feature that would have made it taken longer and cost more for nothing...:rolleyes:
 
I returned my 8800GTS to the store because it made my room hotter, I don't want a heater, I want a video card.

So I was sure psyched to see the 3850 using less power and thinking I'd buy that card and be happy (for a while, anyway) if only it was either a little cheaper or a little better performing. I can't see paying $180 for it when the 8800GT is only $30 - $50 more. (Hell no I'm not considering a crazy jacked up price gouge price of $300 for the 8800GT). I've seen the 8800GT for sale more than once at about $230 or less.

It's a little sucky to be stuck with a 6600GT, but, I'm waiting until I can go to a store and pickup my card for MSRP or less, whichever one it is I end up getting.

My first choice would be a 3870 for under $200 'cause I'm not very happy with Nvidia presently either.

I can beat that:

Riva 128
Riva TNT1
GeForce 1 DDR
GeForce 3 Ti 500
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra (yeah, that's how much of an nVidia fan I was back then)
GeForce 6800 GT
GeForce 7950 GT
GeForce 8800 GT

I've never owned a video card that wasn't nVidia.

LOL...

Riva 128
Hercules TNT , 239$ (oc'd out of the box,way before BFG started selling oc'd cards (98/125)
TNT2 Ultra , 175/183 299$ (Diamond),and yes,I still have the box :)
Geforce 256 32Mb SDR Hercules Gullimot 429$ Cdn (still have the box !!)
Months later Geforce 256 DDR 64Mb - 449$ USD (Dell)
Geforce 2 GTS 64Mb - 459$ (creative)
Month later , Geforce 2 Ultra = 917 Cdn dollars !! (Hercules ,still have the box !!)
Geforce 4 TI 4400 from PNY 499$ each @ EB (Bought two of them,one for me,one for the wife)
Geforce 5800 Ultra @ 779$ Cdn :eek:
Geforce 5900XT MSI 359$ (whent through four of them !! still have the box)
Geforce 7800GT - 503$ times two,one for me,one for the wife + taxes (Asus EN7800GT , still have the boxs )
Geforce 8800 GTS 640 - 519$ eVGA (Dec 12/06 , box is sitting behind me on shelf)
Geforce 8800 GT 512 - 329$ , Gigabyte (Nov 20th 07)


Not to mention we own shares in the company,going back 5 years now.
 
LOL...

Riva 128
Hercules TNT , 239$ (oc'd out of the box,way before BFG started selling oc'd cards (98/125)
TNT2 Ultra , 175/183 299$ (Diamond),and yes,I still have the box :)
Geforce 256 32Mb SDR Hercules Gullimot 429$ Cdn (still have the box !!)
Months later Geforce 256 DDR 64Mb - 449$ USD (Dell)
Geforce 2 GTS 64Mb - 459$ (creative)
Month later , Geforce 2 Ultra = 917 Cdn dollars !! (Hercules ,still have the box !!)
Geforce 4 TI 4400 from PNY 499$ each @ EB (Bought two of them,one for me,one for the wife)
Geforce 5800 Ultra @ 779$ Cdn :eek:
Geforce 5900XT MSI 359$ (whent through four of them !! still have the box)
Geforce 7800GT - 503$ times two,one for me,one for the wife + taxes (Asus EN7800GT , still have the boxs )
Geforce 8800 GTS 640 - 519$ eVGA (Dec 12/06 , box is sitting behind me on shelf)
Geforce 8800 GT 512 - 329$ , Gigabyte (Nov 20th 07)


Not to mention we own shares in the company,going back 5 years now.

:eek:

Geforce 2
Geforce 3
Geforce FX 5200
Geforce 6200
Gefoce 6600GT Had 2
Geforce 7800GT
Geforce 7900GT
Geforce 7950GX2
Geforce 8800GTX Had 3

Laptops
7400GO
7950GTX

Total of 14 nvidia video cards. And all that and I had 2 Ati cards. X700 pro and 9200SE.

That's the rumor.

I sure hope so.
 
I understand the 680i complaint, but not the cheaper cards complaint. DX10.1 is a minor update and it's going to be a while for it to be supported in games. That shouldn't be a problem for someone who upgrades fairly often.

That is the same exact argument I sold myself on with my X800XT regarding SM2.0 In the end, it bit me in the ass.
 
Except SM2.0 vs. SM3.0 and DX10 vs. DX10.1 are in no way comparable. There will be no games that require DX10.1 to run like games required SM 3.0 to run.
 
Back
Top