NVidia GPU client available next week?

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
Not sure if anyone saw this yet or not. Vijay seems to back peddle some here.

This might have been mentioned here already, but I didn't see it.

A little FUD for the masses... :p;):D

0.png

Not really, reread Vijay's comment and you will see that he is correct. To make sure it works as expected, it is currently undergoing QA process right now and if things works fine, it might be correct.

I hope it is true. I would like to put my 9800gtx to use and there's no way in hell I'm taking a $400 hit to "Step Up" to a GTX280 just to run the gpu client a little faster!!

I was hoping it'd be released with the announcement of the GT200 series of nVidia cards, but they were announced this morning, and still no update from Folding@Home.

Yes, still waiting but they will release it when they are ready ;)

This is what will make people forgive Stanford for the SMP woes ;)

A GTX 280 can produce over 6000 ppd with a fast cpu core :)

As for the issues, one of them is the inability to run the client on Vista x64 and it's just because the Vista x64 driver isn't up to the task so in the meanwhile, it's limited to 32 bits OS (XP 64 have issues with massive slowdown and system unresponsiveness, as if the GPU2 is taking all the resources, leaving nothing to the user).

It's still beta so there is still a few rough spots to polish but overall, it's very stable.

Is anyone here really going to drop over $600 on a card specifically for folding?

I really want to know, and if you are, how do you justify that? I'm not trying to be pessimistic or anything, but that's pretty risky in my opinion......

But of course, I'm a little jaded when it comes to the GPU client.....

Is anyone here really going to drop over $600 on a card specifically for folding?

I really want to know, and if you are, how do you justify that? I'm not trying to be pessimistic or anything, but that's pretty risky in my opinion......

But of course, I'm a little jaded when it comes to the GPU client.....

I won't pay 650$ for a GTX 280 but I will pay for a GTX 260 for folding. However, be reassured it's just for my main PC so it will be used for gaming too. My 8800GTS 640MB will be moved to another box for folding and that's it. It would be indeed foolish to fork that much just for folding...

It would be indeed foolish to fork that much just for folding...

And therein lies the delima......

I don't game. At all.

In fact, I've tried to force myself to get back into gaming since the demise of the GPU1 client. I thought it would make me feel better about these X1950's I have here....but no go. I just can't do it.....guess I got too old or something;)

I would really like to be able to throw a new card in one of my boxen and let it fold away, but I just can't justify it.....and my drop in production since the GPU1 went bye bye is killing me. I can't really "expand" a whole lot right now........bah.....it's just frustrating, that's all.....

Look forward to seeing real numbers over the next few weeks though....

This is what will make people forgive Stanford for the SMP woes ;)

A GTX 280 can produce over 6000 ppd with a fast cpu core :)

As for the issues, one of them is the inability to run the client on Vista x64 and it's just because the Vista x64 driver isn't up to the task so in the meanwhile, it's limited to 32 bits OS (XP 64 have issues with massive slowdown and system unresponsiveness, as if the GPU2 is taking all the resources, leaving nothing to the user).

It's still beta so there is still a few rough spots to polish but overall, it's very stable.

That little piece of news is all I needed to hear. You just dashed my hopes for a while at least. I wont hold my breath for the prospects of a new beta any time soon just for Vista 64 bit.

I may ......... :eek:

It all depends on the PpD & the PpDpWatt figures.
If it is dropping 6,000 PpD and only pulling ~250 watts then the PpDpW is ~24 so looking good.

I may add a card to my Skulltrail boxen if/when the 64 bit problem is sorted out .

Luck ............ :D

Right now, I'm backing files then reinstall the OS for Vista Business 32 bits so I can run the GPU2 client myself. My Windows Home Server will have a backup of my 64 bits one so I can fall back when there is a fix for the x64 issues.

I don't game. At all.

In fact, I've tried to force myself to get back into gaming since the demise of the GPU1 client. I thought it would make me feel better about these X1950's I have here....but no go. I just can't do it.....guess I got too old or something;)

I would really like to be able to throw a new card in one of my boxen and let it fold away, but I just can't justify it.....and my drop in production since the GPU1 went bye bye is killing me. I can't really "expand" a whole lot right now........bah.....it's just frustrating, that's all.....
........../QUOTE]

Same here - I'm not a gamer, at all. I however bought into the ATI deal as well and am in the same position with a X1950 card now. Looks nice though the side window in my case I suppose.... :rolleyes: No fucking way I'm spending $600+ on a video card. I can justify it on a nice Q6600 box as I have actual use for the box other than folding.

Is there a list of nVidia cards that support the GPU2 client?

I have some older ones.... 6600GT.... that I don't expect it to work.

I also have a newer card... I think it is a 8800GT* something.

Thanks.

I don't game. At all.

Look forward to seeing real numbers over the next few weeks though....

I can buy 2 quads with mobos and ram for probably about the same as one of those. Besides that, I can't justify buying anything just for the sake of folding, especially after the GPU1 fiasco. I don't game, and the 6200 in my box runs Compiz with all the eye candy in the world without breaking a sweat.

I will buy one. I have been waiting to build a new game machine for my daughter. I'll wait until the end of July due to some issues with funding. I've got all the parts for a new quad core machine except the motherboard and video card.

I'd like to know if my 8800GT* works, however.

I will buy one. I have been waiting to build a new game machine for my daughter. I'll wait until the end of July due to some issues with funding. I've got all the parts for a new quad core machine except the motherboard and video card.

I'd like to know if my 8800GT* works, however.

Yes, it will work :)

Thanks, Silly Con!

now I just have to wait for a Vista 64 compatible client to work with my 8800GT*.

My new machine will be XP (32 bit OS) for gaming reasons.

Looks like a 8800GTX will be in the 4k range? if those charts are correct?

Bad thing is I think my Gaming Rig is 64 bit :( If that is the case I need to swap out the memory to 2gb and reinstall 32bit XP tonight!

fun fun...

Keep 4 GB and get 32 bits XP. You'll see 3 GB, which is better than nothing.

I'm doing that right now (after posting this, I'll be AFK reformatting my pc and will be back in 2-3 hours).

I was thinking about doing a reinstall of Windows tonight so I don't have to do an install of two OSes in the same night when openSUSE 11.0 is released. My 8800GT should do well with it and it will help take care of the points difference from not running the SMP clients under Linux.

Well, if the 8800GT performs well (more than ~2200ppd) I'll probably get it running in my e4300 machine. I hope I don't need a massive CPU to keep it well fed. That's always bugged me about GPU folding.

Hmm . . Is it just me or does it seem strange that a mid-range Nvidia card (9600GT) is putting out 3K PPD when a 3870 is only doing 1900 PPD, according to that Toms graphic?

If a 9600GT will do 3000 PPD then those are the cards to buy. They can be had for about $140 - $160 dollars. 2 of those would do 6000 PPD for about $300 instead of a 280 for $650. I really hope these PPD numbers are reflective in the amount of good they are doing for Stanford. Are 2 9600s really helping the cause as much as a Nvidia 280? Or 3 ATI 3870s for that matter?

Note: I know these are early numbers and not the absolute truth - Im just speculating and thinking "out loud".:)

I hope these arent as CPU hungry as the ATI client.

Hmm wonder what happens if I leave SLI enabled?

Back