NVIDIA GK104 Coming Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. Although I would not bet on any major DX11 gains due to GCN arch. I always hear people saying stuff like "DirectX ## will bring so much better performance!" and it's almost always negligible.

Not that it's outside the realm of possibility, but nowadays I wouldn't bet on driver or DirectX upgrades giving any sort of major performance increase (unless it was completely broken in the first place).

Take a look at the benchmarks- the 7970 shows, on average, a greater performance advantage compared to 6970 or 580 when in a DX11 scenario, especially with heavy use of tessellation, etc. the whole 7xxx series shows this.

Take a look at the benchmarks- the 7970 shows, on average, a greater performance advantage compared to 6970 or 580 when in a DX11 scenario, especially with heavy use of tessellation, etc. the whole 7xxx series shows this.

True. Even in HardOCP's review of the 7870, that they just posted, the cards with GCN were in some cases able to support High Tessolation while their competition the 560 TI was unable to do high tessolation. GCN does seem to be making a positive difference when tessolation and some DX11 features are called on.

That has some future-ramifications for gaming too since apparently the PS4 might be going the route of an ATI video card. If current generation architecture is producing good DX11 effects and tessolation and a current generation card may be used...we could see the utilization of tessolation fairly frequently in the next generation of console gaming ports

They didn't...he's trolling. It goes along with the other 1,000,000 rumors that have been floating around. I wish they would release Kepler so these people would just shut up.

They didn't...he's trolling. It goes along the other 1,000,000 rumors that have been floating around. I wish they would release Kepler so these people would just shut up.
so that is trolling to you? nearly every person here with the least bit of common sense would expect the gk104 to have originally been planned to replace the gf104 gtx560. :rolleyes:

My 570 was $299 over a year ago ... let me know what new card costs about $299, and how much faster it is. Baring a hardware failure, the pricing trend seems to indicate that I'll be skipping a generation.

My 570 was $299 over a year ago ... let me know what new card costs about $299, and how much faster it is. Baring a hardware failure, the pricing trend seems to indicate that I'll be skipping a generation.
yeah last year I was lucky and found a great deal by only paying 260 for my gtx570. lol for that price now I will lose performance.

Agreed. I actually got my first 570 in October of last year for $260 after rebate and got my other one (a factory overclocked model) for $250 used over in FS/FT at the end of the same month. Which gives me performance well above the current $550 AMD offering at my resolution for $510. I'm pretty satisfied with that.

its funny that we all know how the gtx580 was a poor value even for a last gen card yet are supposed to be enamored with a next gen 28nm 7970 that can beat it by 20-25% all while costing more? you guys cant have it both ways. facts are facts and the 7970 costs 50% more than the 6970 launched at while only providing 40-45% performance over it. you are getting less card for the money than the 6970. like I always say, if it was not for the decent overclocking then the 7900 series would be a joke for a next gen card IMO. and as you can see with the 7800 series, those high prices have trickled down as 7870 costs 45% more than the 6870 while being 45% faster. that is not progress at all and it is really the price sensitive mid range buyer that is getting screwed at the moment.

I don't disagree that the 7970 is a poor value. I'm just saying, nvidia has done the same thing, small performance increases for huge price premiums. I'm not saying I like it :cool:

Maybe GK104 can change all of that. I'm just happy that the wait for GK104 is almost over-- I will happily eat crow if its faster than the 7970 and then I will buy two of them, if it isn't faster i'm trading up to 2x 7970 MSI lightnings.. It is being released this month according to rumors! It was on display at cebit. :cool:

I don't disagree that the 7970 is a poor value. I'm just saying, nvidia has done the same thing, small performance increases for huge price premiums. I'm not saying I like it :cool:

Maybe GK104 can change all of that. I'm just happy that the wait for GK104 is almost over-- I will happily eat crow if its faster than the 7970 and then I will buy two of them, if it isn't faster i'm trading up to 2x 7970 MSI lightnings.. It is being released this month according to rumors! It was on display at cebit. :cool:
when has Nvidia or AMD ever launched a new gen of cards that gave the same or less performance per dollar than their previous gen though?

when has Nvidia or AMD ever launched a new gen of cards that gave the same or less performance per dollar than their previous gen though?

the 580 was pretty close to that. It launched at what- $520? the 480 launched at $500? Thats not a very good price/performance improvement.

the 580 was pretty close to that. It launched at what- $520? the 480 launched at $500? Thats not a very good price/performance improvement.

But the GTX 570, which is pretty much the equal to the GTX 480, launched at $349. If they had followed the current AMD model it would have been $449 or $499.

But the GTX 570, which is pretty much the equal to the GTX 480, launched at $349. If they had followed the current AMD model it would have been $449 or $499.
And it was released on matured 40nm process. That's the difference.

When is TSMC expecting to ramp to full capacity on 28nm anyway?

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, the world's largest contract maker of chips, said that it would ramp up production of chips using today's leading-edge 28nm process technology substantially by the third quarter of 2012.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/...in_2012_Start_20nm_Manufacturing_in_2013.html

The phase 2 of Fab 15 is projected to be completed in Q4 2012 and this will boost total 28nm capacity to reach about 50 thousand wafers per month.

Fab 15 being the 28nm fab.

Considering AMD hasn't said a peep about yield problems and nVidia has claimed to have encountered some yield issues, I'd wager it's going to impact prices on both AMD and nVidia's GCN and Kepler chips, respectively.

I can't find at what capacity they're currently at, though. Those 7970s seem to go out of stock as quickly as they're received.

and? the gtx480 launched at $499 which was 25% more expensive than what the gtx285 launched at and it beat it by 40-45%. so even Nvidia's overpriced piss poor value cards still give better performance per dollar than their previous gen cards.

Well, the GTX 460 was more or less the performance equivalent of the GTX 285, it was on a new process, and it also debuted $100 (or was it $150) cheaper.

Well, the GTX 460 was more or less the performance equivalent of the GTX 285, it was on a new process, and it also debuted $100 (or was it $150) cheaper.
Again:
and? the gtx480 launched at $499 which was 25% more expensive than what the gtx285 launched at and it beat it by 40-45%. so even Nvidia's overpriced piss poor value cards still give better performance per dollar than their previous gen cards.
It's quite possible NVIDIA had to sell the GTX 480 at much less than it had hoped in order to compete with the price/performance behemoth that was the 5870. AMD seems to be confident in its current 7xxx line up and their respective price points.

Just release something already Nvidia, something that can match or beat the 7950 at least. That way all the prices will come down a little.

It's quite possible NVIDIA had to sell the GTX 480 at much less than it had hoped in order to compete with the price/performance behemoth that was the 5870.

Yeah, I agree, the GTX 480 was a problem for them.

When is TSMC expecting to ramp to full capacity on 28nm anyway?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/...in_2012_Start_20nm_Manufacturing_in_2013.html

Fab 15 being the 28nm fab.

Considering AMD hasn't said a peep about yield problems and nVidia has claimed to have encountered some yield issues, I'd wager it's going to impact prices on both AMD and nVidia's GCN and Kepler chips, respectively.

I can't find at what capacity they're currently at, though. Those 7970s seem to go out of stock as quickly as they're received.
Just saw this post, excellent info. I didn't realize ramp up wasn't even slated until Q3. Looks like prices are going to be high for awhile.

I always skip a generation if not more. Its really hard to justify the price of a high end card even for the kind of performance leap we may get moving to the next generation.

Still holding on to my GTX 295, skipped the entire Fermi line, now I'm ready for Kepler.

so is there any truth to the march 12th date? It was posted earlier today I think, but can't find the thread now.

so is there any truth to the march 12th date? It was posted earlier today I think, but can't find the thread now.

All we know is that it's most likely somewhere in March. Some rumors put it on the 23rd, but these are all just rumors.

Kyle mentioned that the nVidia embargo ends next month, and logically the product would be launch before that. So it should happen sometime in March

If it comes out before IB, I'll be good with it because at least then by the time I would buy a CPU, I would be able to figure out what GPU I would actually want.

According to THIS rumour new GTX680 will be GK104, 1536 SP, etc. and will be shown 12th March, released 23rd March.
I thought GK110 was going to be GTX680...

According to THIS rumour new GTX680 will be GK104, 1536 SP, etc. and will be shown 12th March, released 23rd March.
I thought GK110 was going to be GTX680...

Strange indeed. Its memory bandwidth points to it being a mid range card, almost the same as GTX 580

You'd expect the 680 to have more bandwidth.

1536CC and hot clock...difficult to believe. 4.3TF of shader power, that would be insane. Easily triple that of the 560Ti.

Take this with a grain of salt. :p

Kepler 256-bit, faster in DX11 games than 7970

Small chip but powerful

Kepler is real, people have seen it, editors are getting cards and even notebooks based on it as we speak, and the launch happens later this month.

We can confirm a few things now. Kepler has a 256-bit memory interface and the fastest one to launch in the second half of March is GK104. The GK106 and GK108 are also on the way, and of course they will end up slower than GK104.

The GK104 is much smaller than Tahiti, Radeon HD 7970 family and according to our intel it should end up faster in some cases. In all DirectX 11 games, Nvidia’s GK104 based Kepler card should end up faster, at least this is what a few sources are confirming.

Nvidia is producing its 28nm GK104 chips for a while and the focus is on big OEMs, especially notebook manufacturers, but there will be plenty of add-in-board partners to have cards on launch, at least until they sell out.

Sources close to Nvidia are confident that the green team will win this round, but as always let’s take this with a grain of salt. Either way, AMD already has 28nm products in the shops and it commands a clear lead over Nvidia, so there is a lot of catching up to do.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26179-kepler-256-bit-faster-in-dx11-games-than-7970

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back