NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070: up to 30% faster than RTX 3090 in gaming

600+ watts is really hard to cool on-air alone, I am guessing all the high-end 550w + cards are going to come with some form of liquid AiO coolers. Otherwise, you are going to need some rather unpleasant fans to keep those temperatures down.
I may be dreaming, but I am hoping for something in the 250w range that performs around the 3080ti, given that the mobile version of it manages to pull around 150w while only being ~30% slower than its desktop counterpart leads me to believe it is possible, the node shrink alone could spread that gap
But because of space limitations and how work is shaping up, I may just ditch the desktop altogether and look for a decent laptop with a 4070 class GPU in there.

Last edited:
What kind of case airflow will it take to run one of these new cards if they really are close to 600W?
Everybody will be reviewing the gamers nexus case reviews to find the closest thing to a wind tunnel that exists.

What kind of case airflow will it take to run one of these new cards if they really are close to 600W?
Everybody will be reviewing the gamers nexus case reviews to find the closest thing to a wind tunnel that exists.
I have a Dell T640 in my rack running some accelerator cards that are running in the 500w range. That system causes the AC to kick up a notch on full load and you can hear it on the other side of the building sounds like a small jet attempting liftoff. Datacenter’s require liquid on all accelerators over 600w for a reason, it’s just not feasible to do them on air.

600+ watts is really hard to cool on-air alone, I am guessing all the high-end 550w + cards are going to come with some form of liquid AiO coolers. Otherwise, you are going to need some rather unpleasant fans to keep those temperatures down.
I may be dreaming, but I am hoping for something in the 250w range that performs around the 3080ti, given that the mobile version of it manages to pull around 150w while only being ~30% slower than its desktop counterpart leads me to believe it is possible, the node shrink alone could spread that gap
But because of space limitations and how work is shaping up, I may just ditch the desktop altogether and look for a decent laptop with a 4070 class GPU in there.

I can cool my **Edit** Shunt modded 600W 3090 FE on the retail cooler but it reaches 80C at max fan speed.
and that's with a thermal pad rework and liquid metal with an 0.2mm indium pad sandwiched on both sides between the LM (I think this gives temps somewhere close to in-between pure LM and thermal paste)
Going to try direct LM later without the pad as i suspect the pad is slightly reducing memory pad contact as my VRAM temps went up by 10C compared to regular thermal paste

Last edited:
I can cool my 600W 3090 FE on the retail cooler but it reaches 80C at max fan speed.
and that's with a thermal pad rework and liquid metal with an 0.2mm indium pad sandwiched on both sides between the LM (I think this gives temps somewhere close to in-between pure LM and thermal paste)
Going to try direct LM later without the pad as i suspect the pad is slightly reducing memory pad contact as my VRAM temps went up by 10C compared to regular thermal paste
The accelerator cards are all passively cooled running strictly off the chassis case fans which move a lot of air but are not quiet about it. But that case is running between 1800-2200w on the accelerators at full load, it's quite the space heater.

But the 3090FE is a 360w peak stock pushing into 450w depending on the OC.

Last edited:
The accelerator cards are all passively cooled running strictly off the chassis case fans which move a lot of air but are not quiet about it. But that case is running between 1800-2200w on the accelerators at full load, it's quite the space heater.

But the 3090FE is a 360w peak stock pushing into 450w depending on the OC.

It's shunt modded.

3090 FTW3 had a 500w+ bios
3090Ti FTW3 already hits close to 500W (450w stock) + 6% boost available.

These rumors are always funny. NV and AMD will not lose an opportunity by naming a card which out performs their previous generation by 30% a mainstream card... They will just give it an enthusiast name eg: 4080, slap a higher price tag on it and call it a day. These companies are out to make money :p

3090 FTW3 had a 500w+ bios
3090Ti FTW3 already hits close to 500W (450w stock) + 6% boost available.

These rumors are always funny. NV and AMD will not lose an opportunity by naming a card which out performs their previous generation by 30% a mainstream card... They will just give it an enthusiast name eg: 4080, slap a higher price tag on it and call it a day. These companies are out to make money :p
The coolers on those things are huge though, triple slot coolers are already annoying, quad and extra wide aren’t something I want to be the normal…

The coolers on those things are huge though, triple slot coolers are already annoying, quad and extra wide aren’t something I want to be the normal…
At what point do they switch to AIO cooler for some of these...which is a whole different realm of "not mainstream" as far as graphics cards are concerned anyway.

I'm curious what kind of real world performance increases we're looking at. The 3090 is the 4K/60 card the world was waiting for. It's even able to push that with the RT implementations most games use.
Are we looking at something that can pull 4K/120 or are they going to continue pushing RT as the end all be all? Normally I jump on whatever the latest and greatest is every 2 years. This time I'm not so sure, although I should at least be able to get some coin for my 3090 to offset some of the cost.

At what point do they switch to AIO cooler for some of these...which is a whole different realm of "not mainstream" as far as graphics cards are concerned anyway.
Honestly I’d say for anything with power draw greater than 450w, and next gen is as good a time to start as any. It could tie in pretty well with features on the new PSU connectors.

Even then, will need a large rad. Aint no simple 120mm for this kinda power draw lol.
No, it's gonna be a triple, but you only need maybe a double for a CPU if you go that route as well so we are looking at a future where cases are going to need the ability to fit a pair of separate AiO at least 1 being a 360 and the other being a 240, that or they may just start putting out more offerings that are pre-fit with water blocks.

Genuinely curious, why? Unless you have other pcie components. Most people never use more than 1 physical pcie slot (for the gpu) on their board anyways. I modded my 3080 and it's basically a 4 slot card now. The silent operation is worth the footprint. Hell, I think a tiny little 2 slot card by itself on an ATX board almost looks goofy. Too each their own though.
Some people don't want massive hulking blocks hanging off their motherboard. Thank God for watercooling keeping things sensibly sized.

Genuinely curious, why? Unless you have other pcie components. Most people never use more than 1 physical pcie slot (for the gpu) on their board anyways. I modded my 3080 and it's basically a 4 slot card now. The silent operation is worth the footprint. Hell, I think a tiny little 2 slot card by itself on an ATX board almost looks goofy. Too each their own though.
For work, and hobby reasons I have a fair number of addon cards in my towers, GPU for sure, but I also have an FPGA, sound card, dual SFP+, and PCIe Storage.

most gamers these days are just popping in a gpu and calling it a day.

Which would make a simple tower heat pipe system quite effective (noise and performance wise), I would think with how big the gpu chips is to cool.

I feel the percentage of people that would go with a well made large like that, but silent and superb performance GPU cooling without liquid would not be zero.

Considering what tend to make the most heat in a system, the current gaming pc design is really far from optimal, even bordering on ridiculous.

Last edited:
Understandable, that's what I figured. You're definitely in the minority though, most gamers these days are just popping in a gpu and calling it a day. Regardless, with the direction mfg's are headed of just brute forcing performance with raw power, the high end cards are still likely going to be these monstrous 3+ slot designs. Hell, some AIB's are shipping with their own anti-sag supports/brackets already.
For sure, it's getting crazy.

Yeah I've seen people do that before, they use the bottom of their case to prop it up when the card is installed.

Gimme a blocked card that can do 4k/120 with RT for $1800 that I can buy. DLSS will extend life of card to 4 years.

Which would make a simple tower heat pipe system quite effective (noise and performance wise), I would think with how big the gpu chips is to cool.

I feel the percentage of people that would go with a well made large like that, but silent and superb performance GPU cooling without liquid would not be zero.

Considering what tend to make the most heat in a system, the current gaming pc design is really far from optimal, even bordering on ridiculous.

I had similar results throwing a cheap AIO on a 2080super. maxes out at 51C

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N16CAKN/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1 was $70 when i bought it.

Doesn't look very nice but it is extremely effective.

I used this to mount it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYHRMYP/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking back, I think I could have gotten by without that mounting bracket and just used the stock included with the AIO iirc.

With all stock fans the noise is negligible over CPU fans.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I will keep holding onto my 1080TI.
I will keep my 1070....I just hope I can get a laptop with better battery life, but that doesn't seem likely with the next 4000 series. Give me high performance with DLSS on low power and I will pay handsomely!

I will keep my 1070....I just hope I can get a laptop with better battery life, but that doesn't seem likely with the next 4000 series. Give me high performance with DLSS on low power and I will pay handsomely!

I had a Razer Blade with a 2070 MaxQ and a 9th gen i7. Great battery life. Amazing build quality.

I had a Razer Blade with a 2070 MaxQ and a 9th gen i7. Great battery life. Amazing build quality.
I have an Alienware with a 2070 and an Intel i9 and the battery life is ok...but nowhere in the ballpark of an M1. That's the only reason I'm considering selling it as I'm on the go way more than I thought I would be.

In all the builds I've made, anytime I went with the high power/less efficient cpu/gpu platform I always regretted it. In laptops it kills battery life, the fans are loud, and it's uncomfortably hot. I cannot imagine what these chips are going to do in laptops. I said it before, but I don't see the point in going with something higher than midrange since 3070 and higher cards are already thermal/power throttling. You'd need a dedicated laptop cooler, placing it on a desk. May as well go with a desktop at that point.

I'll pick up something here used and cheap and be happy for another couple years until I repeat.

*Looks lovingly at the Vega 64 that was $250 with waterblock*

Back