NVIDIA GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 417.58 Has Been Released

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Dec 28, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

The NVIDIA GeForce Hotfix driver version 417.58 has been released and it addresses the following issues: Black screen when resuming from monitor sleep on some DisplayPort monitors. Windows 7: FPS drop when G-sync is used with V-sync in games. Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Fixes occasional application crash in DirectX 12 mode. Fixes black screen on BenQ XL2730 monitor using 144Hz refresh rate. Fixes lockup when resuming from sleep on MSI GT83 notebook.

Hope you enjoy the NVIDIA system build video while installing your new drivers! :)

CrimsonKnight13 likes this.
  2. arnemetis

arnemetis 2[H]4U

I don't understand what makes these hotfixes. It's still the whole 542MB driver package. I guess I have unrealistic expectations that a hotfix is a small patch or update released to address an immediate problem. This is just another full driver version.

3. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

Back in the day driver packages were like 20mb, half a gig plus these days is mad. o_O

4. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

yeah and back in the day games fit on floppy drives, woopty do.. have to remember it's not just graphic drivers anymore, you still have physX, nvidia 3D, their shitty experience app, shadow play, and pretty sure there's 1 more in there that i'm forgetting, along with SLI profiles and all the game fixes from before that embedded into the drivers.

at least before windows 10(not sure if it still is done this way) hotfix drivers basically just meant they weren't WHQL certified. i don't really pay much attention to them anymore though to see if they're still doing that.

sderden likes this.
  5. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

I'm waiting on the driver version that addresses random display flickering when running high refresh/standard refresh multi monitor combos. This "glitch" can make 2080ti owners think their 2080ti is joining the RMA club.

Brian_B and Shadowed like this.
  6. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

Cool. I was having the black screen problem resuming from sleep.

cageymaru likes this.
  7. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

HD audio driver

sirmonkey1985 likes this.
  8. STEvil

STEvil 2[H]4U

stretching desktop across monitors rather than running as secondary is broken.

has been broken a long time though..

9. Shadowed

Shadowed Limp Gawd

I am getting this. It's been happening for so long that I barely notice.

But I do agree that the driver is too big, but at the same time, it is easy to direct a noobie to install a driver since its pretty hard to download the wrong one.

The download often fails on my crappy internet which is common when downloading a large file. At this size, I would prefer a torrent so my 1mbps download can take its time.

10. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

You guys know it's a 7zip archive? The package is actually just under 1.2 gigs, the driver itself is around 400 megs. (Edit: 596MB for this driver).

Use a download manager?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  11. UnrealCpu

UnrealCpu 2[H]4U

does this hot-fix a card that might catch on fire?

12. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

If your internet is so crappy that 400 mb seems like a struggle then how the hell do you download and patch games?

13. STrAYeR

STrAYeR Limp Gawd

I was having the Directx 12 crash in Shadows of the Tomb Raider. I thought it was a game issue and blamed the devs. Seems it was an nvidia driver issue. Hope this fixes the problems. Nvidia drivers really hate this game. This is the second time drivers have caused problems. The first time was when you reach the huge waterfall area the game kept crashing.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  14. Darth Kyrie

Darth Kyrie n00b

Isn't Shadow of the Tomb Raider a nVidia title? Isn't nVidia supposed to get drivers correct for games they are putting money into?

STrAYeR likes this.
  15. STrAYeR

STrAYeR Limp Gawd

Yes it's one of the titles that was hyping RTX.

16. [21CW]killerofall

[21CW]killerofall Aliens...

Same. I thought my video card or PC was about to crap out. Good to know it was just a driver issue.

17. homernoy

homernoy Limp Gawd

I have an RTX 2080ti and have had zero issues running Shadow of the Tomb Raider in DX12, so this isn't an issue that affects everyone that is running Nvidia hardware.

18. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

I don’t know why people keep banging on about a 5xxMB driver. These drivers are more than double that size. They are stored in a compressed exe. Unpack it and you soon find it’s nearly 1.2GB! Which is what gets installed, after all.

1.2GB is fucking insane for just a driver. It’s very nearly more than the installation size of Windows XP, a complete OS!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  19. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

There are very few people that even have RTX cards yet there are plenty of threads and comments about people having issues with Shadow the Tomb Raider. I've even seen in reviews of the game where they ran into issues just like users are complaining about in the forums. The issues vary from driver to driver.

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  20. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

Actually I just installed them, the DriverStore folder for it is 596MB.

21. Shadowed

Shadowed Limp Gawd

Patience and time.

22. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

They are big but dang! :p

23. surfhick reborn

surfhick reborn [H]Lite

I click down load then go to bed.

Shadowed likes this.
  24. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

Jeez, great typo :whistle:, but maybe the truth in 10 years time! :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    ir0nw0lf likes this.
  25. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

Isn’t that just the driver? What about all the other stuff nVidia installs?

The nVidia folder that is installed on the HD is over 1.1GB, and if you add the driver store folder as well, then it’s taking up 1.6GB, is it not?

26. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

yeah, that's just the "safety" copy of the driver, there's also the actual copy installed in system32. and the files from the package you've mentioned (which you could remove).