cageymaru

Fully [H]
The NVIDIA GeForce Hotfix driver version 417.58 has been released and it addresses the following issues: Black screen when resuming from monitor sleep on some DisplayPort monitors. Windows 7: FPS drop when G-sync is used with V-sync in games. Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Fixes occasional application crash in DirectX 12 mode. Fixes black screen on BenQ XL2730 monitor using 144Hz refresh rate. Fixes lockup when resuming from sleep on MSI GT83 notebook.

Hope you enjoy the NVIDIA system build video while installing your new drivers! :)

I don't understand what makes these hotfixes. It's still the whole 542MB driver package. I guess I have unrealistic expectations that a hotfix is a small patch or update released to address an immediate problem. This is just another full driver version.

Back in the day driver packages were like 20mb, half a gig plus these days is mad. o_O

Back in the day driver packages were like 20mb, half a gig plus these days is mad. o_O

yeah and back in the day games fit on floppy drives, woopty do.. have to remember it's not just graphic drivers anymore, you still have physX, nvidia 3D, their shitty experience app, shadow play, and pretty sure there's 1 more in there that i'm forgetting, along with SLI profiles and all the game fixes from before that embedded into the drivers.

I don't understand what makes these hotfixes. It's still the whole 542MB driver package. I guess I have unrealistic expectations that a hotfix is a small patch or update released to address an immediate problem. This is just another full driver version.

at least before windows 10(not sure if it still is done this way) hotfix drivers basically just meant they weren't WHQL certified. i don't really pay much attention to them anymore though to see if they're still doing that.

I'm waiting on the driver version that addresses random display flickering when running high refresh/standard refresh multi monitor combos. This "glitch" can make 2080ti owners think their 2080ti is joining the RMA club.

yeah and back in the day games fit on floppy drives, woopty do.. have to remember it's not just graphic drivers anymore, you still have physX, nvidia 3D, their shitty experience app, shadow play, and pretty sure there's 1 more in there that i'm forgetting, along with SLI profiles and all the game fixes from before that embedded into the drivers...

HD audio driver

stretching desktop across monitors rather than running as secondary is broken.

has been broken a long time though..

I'm waiting on the driver version that addresses random display flickering when running high refresh/standard refresh multi monitor combos. This "glitch" can make 2080ti owners think their 2080ti is joining the RMA club.

I am getting this. It's been happening for so long that I barely notice.

But I do agree that the driver is too big, but at the same time, it is easy to direct a noobie to install a driver since its pretty hard to download the wrong one.

The download often fails on my crappy internet which is common when downloading a large file. At this size, I would prefer a torrent so my 1mbps download can take its time.

You guys know it's a 7zip archive? The package is actually just under 1.2 gigs, the driver itself is around 400 megs. (Edit: 596MB for this driver).

The download often fails on my crappy internet which is common when downloading a large file. At this size, I would prefer a torrent so my 1mbps download can take its time.
Use a download manager?

Last edited:
If your internet is so crappy that 400 mb seems like a struggle then how the hell do you download and patch games?

I was having the Directx 12 crash in Shadows of the Tomb Raider. I thought it was a game issue and blamed the devs. Seems it was an nvidia driver issue. Hope this fixes the problems. Nvidia drivers really hate this game. This is the second time drivers have caused problems. The first time was when you reach the huge waterfall area the game kept crashing.

Last edited:
I was having the Directx 12 crash in Shadows of the Tomb Raider. I thought it was a game issue and blamed the devs. Seems it was an nvidia driver issue. Hope this fixes the problems. Nvidia drivers really hate this game. This is the second time drivers have caused problems. The first time was when you reach the huge waterfall area the game kept crashing.

Isn't Shadow of the Tomb Raider a nVidia title? Isn't nVidia supposed to get drivers correct for games they are putting money into?

Isn't Shadow of the Tomb Raider a nVidia title? Isn't nVidia supposed to get drivers correct for games they are putting money into?

I have an RTX 2080ti and have had zero issues running Shadow of the Tomb Raider in DX12, so this isn't an issue that affects everyone that is running Nvidia hardware.

I don't understand what makes these hotfixes. It's still the whole 542MB driver package.
I don’t know why people keep banging on about a 5xxMB driver. These drivers are more than double that size. They are stored in a compressed exe. Unpack it and you soon find it’s nearly 1.2GB! Which is what gets installed, after all.

1.2GB is fucking insane for just a driver. It’s very nearly more than the installation size of Windows XP, a complete OS!

Last edited:
I have an RTX 2080ti and have had zero issues running Shadow of the Tomb Raider in DX12, so this isn't an issue that affects everyone that is running Nvidia hardware.
There are very few people that even have RTX cards yet there are plenty of threads and comments about people having issues with Shadow the Tomb Raider. I've even seen in reviews of the game where they ran into issues just like users are complaining about in the forums. The issues vary from driver to driver.

I don’t know why people keep banging on about a 5xxGB driver. These drivers are more than double that size. They are stored in a compressed exe. Unpack it and you soon find it’s nearly 1.2GB!
Actually I just installed them, the DriverStore folder for it is 596MB.

Actually I just installed them, the DriverStore folder for it is 596MB.
Isn’t that just the driver? What about all the other stuff nVidia installs?

The nVidia folder that is installed on the HD is over 1.1GB, and if you add the driver store folder as well, then it’s taking up 1.6GB, is it not?

yeah, that's just the "safety" copy of the driver, there's also the actual copy installed in system32. and the files from the package you've mentioned (which you could remove).

Back