NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Video Card Review @ [H]

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-review-feat-evga/11

T7aqU.png
Yep, had to read the review at anand's to make sense of what 670 performance is like. Also, the slide shows that overclocking the 7970 will get you there in terms of performance so no point doing a side shift if you are already on a 7970 like myself.

Yep, had to read the review at anand's to make sense of what 670 performance is like. Also, the slide shows that overclocking the 7970 will get you there in terms of performance so no point doing a side shift if you are already on a 7970 like myself.

Yeah, much as I like the 680 over the 7970 if choosing for a new purchase, there's no reason to change if you already have the 7970.

I just hope we get to see what a consumer GK110 is like someday.

I think that the ideal GPU price range for 1080p is 200-300 dollars.
400 seems quite a bit higher than that.

I'm in the same boat. I'm bout to send [H] some money so they can run some tests using my old 560TI card so I can see how it compares under their testing environment.

One thing I will mention is that Nvidia's adaptive v-synch tech is a deal clincher for me and why I don't see myself going ATI anytime soon. That has solved almost every stuttering issue I had with games.

I would say it would future proof you for awhile. Maybe guaranteeing maximum AA levels in upcoming games. How long ago did you purchase the 5870?
~6 months after they came out.

Agreed. After $300 the consoles start competing and it doesn't help that a ton of games are just console ports as it is (sigh). But that's another can of worms...

you are probably right, and the 660 will fit that, whenever it finally is released.

the GTX 670 is the budget high res card, as it has no problems running max settings on almost any 2560X1600 game. I bought this card for my 2560X1440 27" screen and am hoping to see a little better numbers because of a few less pixels... Get me 60 fps on Skyrim with max settings and I will be happy for the next year (having 2 little kids its going to take me 2 years to finish that game with a little Civ and other games in the mix).

Agreed. After $300 the consoles start competing and it doesn't help that a ton of games are just console ports as it is (sigh). But that's another can of worms...
I mean I bought a 6950 for 230-ish dollars when it was new. Now that was a perfect 1080p GPU. Especially because it unlocked to 6970 specs.

400 is just too much.

you are probably right, and the 660 will fit that, whenever it finally is released.

the GTX 670 is the budget high res card, as it has no problems running max settings on almost any 2560X1600 game. I bought this card for my 2560X1440 27" screen and am hoping to see a little better numbers because of a few less pixels... Get me 60 fps on Skyrim with max settings and I will be happy for the next year (having 2 little kids its going to take me 2 years to finish that game with a little Civ and other games in the mix).
Yeah the 670 seems much better suited for that. 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 doesn't seem to justify this GPU.

Consoles will never be considered competition for anyone buying these cards and shouldn't be for anyone on these forums. Consoles are hot the year they are released, after that they fall far behind the PC, look at the Xbox and PS3 compared to PC right now, its a joke its like comparing Nintendo to a PS3.

consoles still can't do high res, still don't have SSD (at least you can't utilize it) and are lacking in so many areas, only games I have and will ever play on them is sports games (because the ports to PC suck) and racing games (best ones don't have ports...)

Consoles will never be considered competition for anyone buying these cards and shouldn't be for anyone on these forums. Consoles are hot the year they are released, after that they fall far behind the PC, look at the Xbox and PS3 compared to PC right now, its a joke its like comparing Nintendo to a PS3.

consoles still can't do high res, still don't have SSD (at least you can't utilize it) and are lacking in so many areas, only games I have and will ever play on them is sports games (because the ports to PC suck) and racing games (best ones don't have ports...)
You might think that but that is not what the market says at all. The price of consoles matters for sure.
Also remember that these consoles are 6+ years old already. PCs are clearly ahead of consoles these days, but do you think they look 6 years ahead?

PCs are definitely more powerful but consoles are holding them back. Developers want to target large markets and to do that they focus on consoles. Hell, even Skyrim was a console port and it was a big release. Mass Effect, wasn't that a console game first? What other big releases exist and which ones provide a better experience or more features by using it on a PC (and no I'm not talking about 32x AA and FXAA crap)? Just a question to prompt some thought.

I thought multi-monitor gaming was going to be the next big thing but obviously that hasn't hit critical mass yet; judging from how well my library of games do NOT work well with 3x1 I can tell we're a long way towards 3x1 offering something genuinely better than a console.

Now if we had a few PC-exclusive blockbusters maybe that would change. Anyway...

PCs are definitely more powerful but consoles are holding them back. Developers want to target large markets and to do that they focus on consoles. Hell, even Skyrim was a console port and it was a big release. Mass Effect, wasn't that a console game first? What other big releases exist and which ones provide a better experience or more features by using it on a PC (and no I'm not talking about 32x AA and FXAA crap)? Just a question to prompt some thought.

I thought multi-monitor gaming was going to be the next big thing but obviously that hasn't hit critical mass yet; judging from how well my library of games do NOT work well with 3x1 I can tell we're a long way towards 3x1 offering something genuinely better than a console.

Now if we had a few PC-exclusive blockbusters maybe that would change. Anyway...

BLOCKBUSTERS is the problem can never happen because the crowd is too small and for it to be a blockbuster it would require a $2000 machine again making the crowd too small. There are still excellent PC exclusive games and cross platform games AFTER MODS, A Game like Civ 5 could never run on current consoles it can barely run on current PCs (late game large maps...), games like Skyrim after mods are something the consoles could never duplicate, playing skyrim on my 27" 2560X1440 monitor at 60 fps with mods is not the same as playing it on the PS3 or XBox 360.

The original Crysis was sort of a blockbuster (not in terms of story, but gameplay/graphics) and look what happened, they took a shit all over it for the sequal. Same always happens to the PC, they take good ideas/games and take a dump on them to make console versions for the masses and the sequals are always horrible.

10 million world of warcraft players would like to say hello. MMORPGs are nearly all PC exclusive and attract a large number of players (many of them dump far more than they need to on their systems) Also steam has around 1-2 million people logged in at any given time (not sure of the total).

PC gaming is alive and well and pulling in $billions.

Anyone got a non reference 670-680 with a Silverstone FT02 (or similar) case where the motherboards are rotated 90degrees?

I'm just concerned about the heatsink not working "that great" compared to a typical layout.

I have the Gigabyte 680

My_Rig.jpg

Thanks, how does it hold up in temps compare to site reviews and such? On par? Slightly worse?

I know it's hit and miss since everyone has different averages but something out of the ordinary would give me pause in actively looking for a 670 over my current unlocked 6950 lol.

Cheers.

Considering this is the windforce model....im running cooler than most reviews. 670 version of this card should be even cooler from what ive been reading.

It's a shame that right now, where I live, there's a HUGE mark up on the 670. In about a month I think it's going to be the card I get. Been looking to jump off the these 6870's for a while.

Well they were in stock on Amazon and Newegg for about a day and now they are gone. I had the Gigabyte 670 in my cart thinking so hard about it and it got nabbed out from under me.

Well they were in stock on Amazon and Newegg for about a day and now they are gone. I had the Gigabyte 670 in my cart thinking so hard about it and it got nabbed out from under me.

Newegg still has four models in stock... amazon has a couple as well. Sure, the pick of the litter got snapped up but the supply has held up really well so far :eek:.

I don't call $400 a budget card. In fact it's quite high. Budget cards are less than $250 you can make as fast as fastest card out for half price or better. Like my 448 for example I got for $215, overclocked, and benched higher than a $550 GTX 580 lighting.

When 670 is $250, or 7950 for that matter, then they are budget cards.

AMD or nvidia aint doing us any favors yet charging us $400 for a -1 card.

Last edited:
I just finished an interesting comparison article that should be up this week, look for it, will be real interesting in regards to GTX 670.

I don't call $400 a budget card. In fact it's quite high. Budget cards are less than $250 you can make as fast as fastest card out for half price or better. Like my 448 for example I got for $215, overclocked, and benched higher than a $550 GTX 580 lighting.

You are quite correct. Got to get to at least under $300 to be "budget."

What price did the 6950 originally debut at, was it ever over $250? I know the 570 was definitely over $300... Wonder how much the price of this 670 and the 7950 will drop in 6 month's time...

What price did the 6950 originally debut at, was it ever over $250? I know the 570 was definitely over $300... Wonder how much the price of this 670 and the 7950 will drop in 6 month's time...

Originally $299. My crystal ball is broken right now so I can't answer the second question. ;)

So I dumped the sabertooth and bulldozer and went IB i5. I can say the performance of these 670s is astounding. I have three 1680x1050 LCDs and I went from medium @ 55fps to high @ 65fps in BF3. It's crazy. But from 6950s to these things it makes sense.

I think it was a mistake to include the 580 in the article - it should have been the 680 instead. Product, competitor, next product up. Yes, I know that the 680 was included on p7.

I'm not buying just yet: it would be overkill for my C2D system, and I don't yet have the funds for a complete new rig.

I'll note that this seems to be the perfect Nvidia GPU for SFF systems.

I think it was a mistake to include the 580 in the article - it should have been the 680 instead. Product, competitor, next product up. Yes, I know that the 680 was included on p7.

I'm not buying just yet: it would be overkill for my C2D system, and I don't yet have the funds for a complete new rig.

Until the release of the 670, the 580 was the closest competitor NVidia had to the 7950, both on price and performance. I think that's why they included it--a "passing of the torch" kind of thing, at the same price point especially.

Originally $299. My crystal ball is broken right now so I can't answer the second question. ;)

Hmm, thanks, didn't realize they were that high originally, thru the last 12 months they were like $250 under after rebates, hopefully the 670 and/or 7950 drop closer to $300 after some price wars...

Easy to call weeks of works a mistake when you are playing armchair quarterback and not running a team of people that can do very well what few if any other review sites in the world put the resources into doing for a free publication.

There are also publishing embargoes and publishing timelines to consider.

And besides that, Rome was not built in a day, so just hang onto your panties. ;)

"Fan noise is not to be worried about, on our reference video card it was not audible even at full-load overclocked."

Except for the incessant buzzing all the ref cards fan seem to make.

Google "GTX 670 buzz"

I bought a pair of these to replace my ageing GTX-285s as part of an upgrade. Noise bugs me. These cards are effing annoying.

Just got a PNY GTX670, has anyone heard the reviews on this one? It was like the only 670 I could find and I haven't installed it yet.

Back