NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Founders Edition Review @ [H]

Address the POST....NOT the POSTER. Take you petty bickering to PM or use the IGNORE feature. Considering this your final warning.

So the shift with Maxwell for marketshare was due to what, marketing? AMDs huge focus on perf/watt in their PR slides is de to what again? Key selling point for CPUs is also what? Perf/watt.

Your post is funny considering the massive focus before the 2.8x perf/watt came out as a lie.

Apparently the 2.8x perf/w was compared to a 270x

TPU puts the 270X at 74% while the RX 480 at 100% in perf/watt.
Well, if we are really honest, the comparison was between rx470 and 270x. So, AMD has a chance to prove their claim, but it will take a freaking miracle. But that's way OT.

Back on topic with 1060: when can we expect non-ref reviews@[H]?

TPU puts the 270X at 74% while the RX 480 at 100% in perf/watt.
Yes. But what if you compare a throttling 270x in doom OGL with an rx480 in doom vulkan :p

Yeah it was misleading , but so was the AotS mgpu demo. More efficient than a gtx 1080 they said, meanwhile *one* rx 480 draws almost as much power up.

In their defense they did initially claim 2x back in november I believe, then 2.5x, then back to 2x shortly before launch

Eh, the most hilarious part of the whole 1060 launch is the following:

x3az9gw.jpg

Yes, custom 1060 is cheaper than reference 480, now that is funny.

So the shift with Maxwell for marketshare was due to what, marketing? AMDs huge focus on perf/watt in their PR slides is de to what again? Key selling point for CPUs is also what? Perf/watt.

Your post is funny considering the massive focus before the 2.8x perf/watt came out as a lie.

The big gain in market share with maxwell was AMD not having a single new product on the market until the summer of 2015 following Maxwells release. There was way more factors at play in Maxwells success than just being power efficient. The 970 being released at $330 being the most important factor. Had the 970 been a 200 or even 225W card I can bet you would still have seen them flying off the shelf at that price point. AMDs biggest mistake was not launching the 390 sooner considering it's popularity and the fact that it was simply a rebrand with more memory and better coolers.

In comparison to DX11 that is a true statement, but relative to the 480's DX12 performance improvement, not so much.

Bottom line is if you only want to continue to play your current library of games and don't care about the new DX12 games coming soon, then the 1060 is definitely the better choice. For those excited about the upcoming DX12 game releases, then the 480 is definitely the better choice.

I'll add a corollary to this: if you want to take a mulligan on this year's offerings, the 1060 is the better choice.

I think the big takeaway from this thread is that neither the 1060 or the 480 support the full (optional) DX12 spec. If you're buying anything this generation for future-proofing, you're doing it wrong.

I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned what i'm about to say, but i consider this extremely interesting since it is presumed by a lot of people that the RX480 has the upper hand against the GTX1060 when we test DX12 benchmarks.
At Gamers Nexus, the GTX1060 SLI at DX12 Ashes of Singularity (*yes, SLI , since the reviewer managed to benchmark an SLI configuration only at this game), the SLI GTX1060s outperform the CF RX480s, and not only that, but they outperform even the MSI GTX1080 !!

I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned what i'm about to say, but i consider this extremely interesting since it is presumed by a lot of people that the RX480 has the upper hand against the GTX1060 when we test DX12 benchmarks.
At Gamers Nexus, the GTX1060 SLI at DX12 Ashes of Singularity (*yes, SLI , since the reviewer managed to benchmark an SLI configuration only at this game), the SLI GTX1060s outperform the CF RX480s, and not only that, but they outperform even the MSI GTX1080 !!
Not SLI. DX12 explicit multi adapter. AotS is the only game that supports right now, I think.

Before you get roasted for your SLI comment you should clarify. It's not SLI--SLI is hardware level Nvidia specific. What they did was DX12 level multi adapter.

edit: Lol, too late.

Before you get roasted for your SLI comment you should to clarify. It's not SLI--SLI is hardware level Nvidia specific. What they did was DX12 level multi adapter.

And the question asked earlier in the thread is now put to rest. You don't need SLI hardware to take advantage of MA.

Quote me please, I don't remember what you're talking about. Having said that, it is faster than the RX480 in most games, more so than I would have expected a few months back. Like I said. All AMD had to do was maintain their lead in compute heavy titles (Killer Instinct, AotS, Hitman, Doom VK) and match a GTX 980 in most DX11 titles + geo heavy titles in general.

No idea what you're talking about NV being downgraded, I don't follow stock markets.

What's been nearly a year now ? GP100 was announced in April wasn't it ? Lol. Supercomputer box DGX-1 is slated to start shipping in the next month or two, availability of PCIE and NVLINK standalone AIBs was always slated for Q4, confirmed recently

NVIDIA Announces PCI Express Tesla P100: Shipping In Q4’16

It taped out a approximately a year ago. When was the last time a chip took that long to even see availability? They have been teasing that chip for a weirdly long time to have no volume yet. Now it's shipping nearly half a year later? Ti/Titan won't be here for ages if that's the case.

Not really rushing to defend, but if he said the 1060 would be decently faster than the 480, then he was correct, at least as far as DX11 performance is concerned. The 1060 IS faster than the 480 in DX11 titles. The 480 leads in DX12 titles that heavily utilize async.

The problem for the prospective 480 buyer is that "DX12 titles that heavily utilize async" is not really a thing.

Async isn't everything, it's only a part and won't help absolutely everywhere.
As even Ieldra has said in past, we are seeing gains from using AMD architecture more efficiently. It's not so efficient at DX11, maybe epic driver investment could help a little but there is a reason for the difference beyond just async and dx12. Vulkan has a similar jump.. more than coincidence.

Anyway, here it is Ieldra.

Ieldra said:
'To be fair, knowing nvidia i didn't expect the 1080/1070 to be this fast frankly. The norm is that a performance level drops to a lower price point. The 1080/1070 are are significantly faster than reference 980ti/tx

So I expect the 1060 to be significantly faster than a 980'

PCGH - RX 480 fails at 1400MHz

Not SLI. DX12 explicit multi adapter. AotS is the only game that supports right now, I think.

i already said that at my previous post : " (*yes, SLI , since the reviewer managed to benchmark an SLI configuration only at this game) "

i already said that at my previous post : " (*yes, SLI , since the reviewer managed to benchmark an SLI configuration only at this game) "
It's not using NVIDIA's Scalable Link Interface, though. That is the point of contention. The GTX 1060 does not support SLI. It only works in AotS because of the DX12 API feature called Explicit Multi Adapter, which right now is the only game to utilize it in engine.

It taped out a approximately a year ago. When was the last time a chip took that long to even see availability? They have been teasing that chip for a weirdly long time to have no volume yet. Now it's shipping nearly half a year later? Ti/Titan won't be here for ages if that's the case.

Async isn't everything, it's only a part and won't help absolutely everywhere.
As even Ieldra has said in past, we are seeing gains from using AMD architecture more efficiently. It's not so efficient at DX11, maybe epic driver investment could help a little but there is a reason for the difference beyond just async and dx12. Vulkan has a similar jump.. more than coincidence.

Anyway, here it is Ieldra.

PCGH - RX 480 fails at 1400MHz

Haha fair enough! Misprediction! In my defense I believe that may have been before the specs were announced :p

Gp100 taped out a year ago? What makes you say that? Gp100 availability is contingent on HBM2 which is still entering volume production. The announcement was what? Three months ago? They said datacenter customers would be getting dgx1 starting this summer, with standalone cards available by the end of the year. Seems perfectly on track tbh.

Titan/Ti won't be based on gp100, I expect Gp102 to be around 20% smaller and to use gddr5x

Dear lord people. The 1060 is not as good as some of you make it out to be and the 480 is not as bad as some of you make it out to be. Let the 3rd party vendors do their job of getting better versions out of each and we'll all be happier FFS.

Reactions: Creig
like this
Dear lord people. The 1060 is not as good as some of you make it out to be and the 480 is not as bad as some of you make it out to be. Let the 3rd party vendors do their job of getting better versions out of each and we'll all be happier FFS.

Yeah, I can tell you for a fact that board engineers at sapphire and at asus are on hiatus as they watch this thread. No product launches until this discussion is settled, they tell me :p

I agree that the 290x has better performance today. Now, how many original 780/780ti/190x owners still have their card? Performance improvements 2-3 years later is fabulous, if you keep your card that long. Many enthusiasts don't.
Are you trying to say that a GPU with staying power is a bad thing somehow?

I don't think that's what hes saying. It's undeniably a good thing for GPUs to continue getting performance improvements through drivers and optimization targeting said hardware in new games.
The problem is when you consider where 'baseline' performance landed when it launched . performance improvements are great, good performance from the outset is even better and it means you don't need to be a prophet to make purchasing decisions.

All games from here on out will support DX12. Why would you buy a video card for an API that has already been superseded by a newer one?

No, they wont. Trust me. Or better yet. Look to the past for your answer. Remember when DX 11 was all the rage? Still most AAA games ran on DX9&10

No, they wont. Trust me. Or better yet. Look to the past for your answer. Remember when DX 11 was all the rage? Still most AAA games ran on DX9&10

But as XP died out for gaming, DX 11 caught on pretty well. 7 is at that point where it's getting old and it's gaming use seems to have dropped dramatically in the last year. That may slow down but new gaming systems are almost all Windows 10 now. DX 12 is the way forward for Windows gaming. Not saying that DX 11 will die tomorrow but I think that there's at least going to be DX 12 options in many upcoming titles and that'll be the thing that will get the attention.

Why on earth would 2 lower cards in SLI be better for that. Specially with the single pass feature and so on. Using 2 cards is the bad solution due to sync. And in your case, lack of performance most likely as well.
Sync should not an issue with each eye.

Single pass on geometry for both eyes and two passes for rasterizing/rendering (one per eye) is what I understand for multi projection.

With two cards in VR you should have virtually 2x the performance or virtually 100% scaling which will compare well against the 1070/1080 in VR single card. Mute point in the end since you cannot SLI these cards making buying two almost pointless and would be limited to games that use Physx and EMA in DX12.

Nope. Just saying that some of us upgrade faster than that.

If I bought a 780ti because it was faster at release, I don't care if the 290x is faster today if I've already upgraded to a 980ti.

But if I held on to a GPU for much longer, heck yea that's a good deal.

Just saying, perf/watt is very important for some people, like me.

I have my computer situated in the corner of a very tiny room/office, and so all the heat exhausted builds up in the corner and leads to me having to use more AC power. And this is with a GTX 970. Lord have mercy if I have a 290. Sticky balls ain't fun when you're gaming. Also, faux leather seats, lol.

I have contemplated drilling a big ass hole straight through the wall just to act as a vent, but I rent and there's too many bugs out at night that is attracted to light.

And yet I'm contemplating a 1070 or a 1080 :ROFLMAO:

Do you talk to the guys that put together configurations for Tier 1 PC OEMs, like Dell? I bet they care a LOT about power.
And maybe that's why here's not a single Tier 1 OEM selling a configuration with an RX 480 in it, as far as I know.
GTX 1000-series, yes, but nothing from AMD's new generation.

As far as I know, the only "OEMs" selling systems with RX 480s are crap vendors like iBuyPower.

OMG, still with the OEM nonsense?! Nobody here cares and even if they would OEMs aren't putting cards this expensive in bargain bin computers. Not to mention even the weakest non-utter-shit-dangerous-for-all-components PSUs can handle any of these cards.

Also, you're the guy who still looks at chip temperatures to see how much heat the card puts in the room and spends $320 to save 8W, so yeah, maybe not the most unbiased to compare 1060 and 480.

Last edited:
OMG, still with the OEM nonsense?! Nobody here cares and even if they would OEMs aren't putting cards this expensive in bargain bin computers. Not to mention even the weakest non-utter-shit-dangerous-for-all-components PSUs can handle any of these cards.

Also, you're the guy who still looks at chip temperatures to see how much heat the card puts in the room and spends $320 to save 8W, so yeah...

Actually the temperature of the die doesn't reflect on it's power output unless you know the thermal transfer characteristics of the cooler - and the ambient temperature.

Actually the temperature of the die doesn't reflect on it's power output unless you know the thermal transfer characteristics of the cooler - and the ambient temperature.

It certainly doesn't tell you one card consumes much less because it runs 10C cooler.

It's pretty simple, most of the energy your GPU uses gets transferred into your PC/Room as heat. A 200W card running at 80C is going to dump the same amount of heat in a room as a 200W card running at 50C.

It might be preferred that said card dumps all it's heat OUTSIDE of the case so that it can disperse in a larger area, but it won't magically dump less heat.

Also, you're the guy who still looks at chip temperatures to see how much heat the card puts in the room and spends $320 to save 8W, so yeah, maybe not the most unbiased to compare 1060 and 480.
No, I look at temperatures to see what the temperatures are. I didn't need to look at temperature to know that the GTX 1060 would dump less heat into the case than my old GTX 970 or an RX 480, the specs make that clear. And the fact is, my GTX 1080 is running cooler now that it's sharing the case with a GTX 1060 rather than a GTX 970.

As to spending $320, you seem to think that's a substantial amount of money. In terms of my overall system cost, it isn't. Heck, it's less than 1/8th the total cost of just my five monitors I have attached, of which it drives four. When you've spent thousands on your monitors, cheaping out on the GPU doesn't make sense. It's not like I'm ever going to notice that I spent the money. I'm hardly living paycheck to paycheck.

Don't hate me because I have money to burn. I'm helping the economy recover. :p

Back