NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Founders Edition Review @ [H]

Like I said, in 1-2 years when there's a lot more DX 12 games can we start approaching a conclusion on which card does DX 12 better. Right now DX 12 is in it's infancy and DX 11 is still the market driver.

If I'm going to keep my card for 1-3 years like a normal person then I sure as hech would op for the more future proof card? From what I've seen they've been able to reap benefits out of DX12 already so why wait?

Well now my questions have been answered. It's either a 1070 or a RX480 from here on out...and considering the supply of RX480s....

now since games are console first it really means that developers are kind of pushed to use async to squeeze another 10-15% or so whatever they can get to make the experience more smoother.

Yeah yeah yeah we've heard that tired story since the Xbox 360.

If I'm going to keep my card for 1-3 years like a normal person then I sure as hech would op for the more future proof card? From what I've seen they've been able to reap benefits out of DX12 already so why wait?

Again, you can't draw a conclusion on DX 12 performance just yet as there's only a handful of titles that use it. What's so hard to understand about that?

Regarding the DOOM Vulkan results, here's what the reviewer at Tom's Hardware had to report:

Quote:
"ID said, that they optimzed the render path ONLY for AMD yet and that the Nvidia implemention will follow later. How we can test a half-done game without the optimized driver?

Any question? All current tests are useless ;)"

when was the last time developers took the time to actually care about optimizing for a certain hardware. Its up to nvidia. It runs better on amd is because AMD played a part in vulkan. The got both dx12 and vulkan to use their shaders to full power. Now we are seeing amd shaders being fully utilized that is the only difference here.

I woudn't be paying a dime over $200 for this card.

In fact, I'd be getting a 480 or used 980 instead.

Way to always suck it up @ the mid-range and lower market segments, NVidia... as usual.

Just a reminder for those who keep mentioning the GTX 1070:
GTX 1070 = MSRP $379
Sadly there not sell for that price

Wow I'M SHOCK AIB cards are ready out on Newegg's
darn it Newegg had one hell deal no SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 for $300 but like always all SOLD OUT BooHoo

Again, you can't draw a conclusion on DX 12 performance just yet as there's only a handful of titles that use it. What's so hard to understand about that?

I draw plenty of conclusions from what we've already seen and what developers have said...your old argument is getting weaker by the day. Nothing wrong with either card but trashing the 480 for being more future proof is just pointless. Did AMD kick your dog or steal your girl friend?

when was the last time developers took the time to actually care about optimizing for a certain hardware. Its up to nvidia. It runs better on amd is because AMD played a part in vulkan. The got both dx12 and vulkan to use their shaders to full power. Now we are seeing amd shaders being fully utilized that is the only difference here.

I thought the point of DX12 was to *ALLOW* the developers to more fully optimize for the hardware?? "low-level API"??

given the different architectures betweend red and blue, DX12 means more work for each developer compared to DX11, not less doesn't it?

I draw plenty of conclusions from what we've already seen and what developers have said...you old argument is getting weaker by the day. Nothing wrong with either card but trashing the 480 for being more future proof is just pointless. Did AMD kick your dog or steal your girl friend?

So you want to buy a card today that is slower, hotter and eats more power because someday it MIGHT win in DX 12? Yeah ok, we're done here.

Yeah yeah yeah we've heard that tired story since the Xbox 360.

You are just ignorant. Why did ROTR come out with async compute? who would have given a fuck about mantle? Why would microsoft bother to includ asynch in dx12 or why would mantle give birth to vulkan. It's happening stop being ignorant. Alot of people said oh async won't be a big thing but look at it now, developers are forced to use it seems if they want to squeeze all the performance from amd hardware, why would they ignore it in PC? thats just stupid.

wait battlefield 1 oh wait dues ex oh wait civilization 6, lol. This story is here to stay.

You are just ignorant. Why did ROTR come out with async compute? who would have given a fuck about mantle? Why would microsoft bother to includ asynch in dx12 or why would mantle give birth to vulkan. It's happening stop being ignorant. Alot of people said oh async won't be a big thing but look at it now, developers are forced to use it seems if they want to squeeze all the performance from amd hardware, why would they ignore it in PC? thats just stupid.

wait battlefield 1 oh wait dues ex oh wait civilization 6, lol. This story is here to stay.

Async compute is big thing? Where? I certainly don't see that on the PC or are you confused and think we're discussing PS4?

So you want to buy a card today that is slower, hotter and eats more power because someday it MIGHT win in DX 12? Yeah ok, we're done here.

The 480 is not "slower" than the 1060. It's faster in general.

The 1060 struggled to keep up, and when it did 'keep up' it was within the percentage of error.

You know it, we know it.

Damn trolls :(

bahahaha, did you see the power usage results? Tons more power? Slower? rofl. You are really eating the fanboy cake. Guess what I got a 1060 for 250 yea its a good card but guess what I bought it becuase it was avilable and i got my hands on it and it is going in to nephews rig. Thats all. Plus I got it for 200. Only reason I didn't get rx 480 is because its not available and I couldn't wait and I got lucky and got in on one for 250 plus had 50 in best buy reward dollars so ended up costing me 208. yep a good buy. Yea its a good buy at 250 but I am not delusional by any means.

bahahaha, did you see the power usage results? Tons more power? Slower? rofl. You are really eating the fanboy cake. Guess what I got a 1060 for 250 yea its a good card but guess what I bought it becuase it was avilable and i got my hands on it and it is going in to nephews rig. Thats all. Plus I got it for 200. Only reason I didn't get rx 480 is because its not available and I couldn't wait and I got lucky and got in on one for 250 plus had 50 in best buy reward dollars so ended up costing me 208. yep a good buy. Yea its a good buy at 250 but I am not delusional by any means.

My quote says "more power" and yes it is 40W more:

power_peak.png

And yes its slower than 1060:
perfrel_1920_1080.png
perfrel_2560_1440.png
perfrel_3840_2160.png

Why would I care what card you bought or your nephew has? Good for you and him? It's not at all relevant to this discussion.

Right, so call it a "PREVIEW" or "QUICK LOOK" or "GTX1060 review, part 1"

Don't pretend this is a full review. Even you admit it's not. You guys usually have time for more tests, but DX12/Vulkan leaning curve is mucking up the pipeline. Just be straight with us and we won't get pissed off at you :D
OK, "Part 1."

Now let's take a look back over the last two decades. I think our track record firmly supports that we do more followups than anyone in the industry, and I know for a fact that we pay more attention to updating the game versions as well as drivers and retesting a lot of GPUs. So if you want to get your panties in a knot about our review, let me say directly to you. Your thoughts are noted. You do not need to keep posting the same thing over and over.

I thought for sure the 1060 was going to steamroll the RX480, colour me surprised! It's nice that the 1060 is still a good GPU, tho. With its better thermals and decent DX11 performance, it could make for a good media/console build @ 1080p.

I'm feeling pretty excited for the higher end Radeons, judging by their performance on the low end with the RX480, perhaps they'll be steamrolling the 1070s and 1080s too! :troll:

Async compute is big thing? Where? I certainly don't see that on the PC or are you confused and think we're discussing PS4?

New up coming, fable and Civ games using Async, I cannot remember the other titles coming out , and async will be a major factor for future VR games.

Don't pretend this is a full review.
Sure it is. It's all the review of a Founder Edition card that any sane person would ever need. What did you need, even MORE evidence that the GTX 1060 FE is overpriced for the performance it provides, especially compared to the GXT 1060 boards from NVidia's AIB partners?

If Vulkan truly does favor AMD cards, then I'm afraid we won't see much of it. With only 20% of the GPU market running AMD cards, an API favoring such a small minority is unlikely to be widely adopted. It grew out of Mantle and will suffer that same fate of irrelevance if it has an unequal benefit for the vast majority of gamers.

Slower depends on what games you play. Try looking at the [H] review closer. And the power difference is negligible in the long run when 95%+ of the time its idling or in sleep mode. Plus the 480 has 2 extra GB of memory if you buy the 8GB. I'm sorry you don't like the answers but I see you really don't want a civil discussion.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Slower depends on what games you play. Try looking at the [H] review closer. And the power difference is negligible in the long run when 95%+ of the time its idling or in sleep mode. Plus the 480 has 2 extra GB of memory if you buy the 8GB. I'm sorry you don't like the answers but I see you really don't want a civil discussion.

I read the Hard|OCP (P)review and I also read a lot of other reviews on the net to get a fuller picture of where these two cards stand. You're right, if all I played was Doom on a Vulkan API that isn't ready for NVIDIA cards yet, I'd want the 480. :smug:

Wow, I gotta say, this really shines some new light on the GPU world. Comparing the GTX 1080/1070 to the 1060 really makes the 1060 look a lot worse than a lot of people, including myself, though it would be. It also makes the RX 480 look a lot better. I mean the RX 480 does use more power, but in many cases actually provides more performance. In any case, it is a bit less efficient than the GP106, but AMD really has significantly closed that gap. It seemed like the gap was a lot farther when the only data points we had to compare were Polaris 10 and GP104 -- now with GP106 in the picture, it seems like AMD actually did better than a lot of people thought with P10. This also makes me really excited for the Vega chips to land .. (Honestly I am shocked that AMD is coming out with TWO HBM GPU's at once, I was pretty much sure we would only see one)

555r
If Vulkan truly does favor AMD cards, then I'm afraid we won't see much of it. With only 20% of the GPU market running AMD cards, an API favoring such a small minority is unlikely to be widely adopted. It grew out of Mantle and will suffer that same fate of irrelevance if it has an unequal benefit for the vast majority of gamers.

I don't play any of the the tested DX12 games in the review, but I know BF1 will have Vulkan support at some point, a game that I and millions of others will play regularly. Purchasing decisions will be made based on this game.

The part about people looking at two long-standing AMD titles (Hitman and Ashes of the Singularity) and declaring AMD the winner in "DirectX 12" is misleading. The only thing that can be definitively stated at this point is that AMD cards have an Async Compute advantage in AMD developed titles. These two benchmarks say nothing about the universe of DirectX 12 and the full feature set that includes.

Right, so call it a "PREVIEW" or "QUICK LOOK" or "GTX1060 review, part 1"

Don't pretend this is a full review. Even you admit it's not. You guys usually have time for more tests, but DX12/Vulkan leaning curve is mucking up the pipeline. Just be straight with us and we won't get pissed off at you :D

"RAAAAAGGGEEE!!! How dare Hard OCP show anything but NVIDIA in the best light! Who do they thing they are, a fair review site?!? RAAAAAGGGGEEE!!!!"

In other words, Kyle gave his reasons, and they were valid. If that stomps on your fanboi nuts - too bad.

I thought for sure the 1060 was going to steamroll the RX480, colour me surprised! It's nice that the 1060 is still a good GPU, tho. With its better thermals and decent DX11 performance, it could make for a good media/console build @ 1080p.

I'm feeling pretty excited for the higher end Radeons, judging by their performance on the low end with the RX480, perhaps they'll be steamrolling the 1070s and 1080s too! :troll:

You sir, are one of the few who at least admits the 1060 is not the 480 killer it was touted to be. As for "high end" (vega), well it does look promising for AMD, but its a stretch to "steamroll" the 1080, but it does beg the question. How much will it cost? $350 $400? for 1080 performance, and better in vulkan? well, that sounds like a winner.

Ummm....its all rdy faster in Dx12/Vulcan. So far everything points to GCN being better equiped to handle those Api's going foward. Nothing from Nvidia has shown anything that could be faster using those APIs.

I read the Hard|OCP (P)review and I also read a lot of other reviews on the net to get a fuller picture of where these two cards stand. You're right, if all I played was Doom on a Vulkan API that isn't ready for NVIDIA cards yet, I'd want the 480. :smug:

We must not read the same reviews then, and there are a lot out there. I'd also doubt you would by the 480 or any other AMD card no matter what the numbers tell you. Try reading a lot of other comments as well. The 1060 ain't no 480 killer by far and it seems it has steered a lot others to the 480. Can't you just be happy we have parity for once in the mid range cards?

EDIT: Nevermind, Nevermind, I was reading COMPLETELY the wrong graph.

Even at $249 AIB, I honestly do not think it is a good value over RX 480, especially given how much edge Rx 480 has over 1060 in Vulkan or DX12.

I'd in fact, pick 1070 over 1060 sli, regardless of whether or not it is cheaper for the second card later on. Unless if I am only playing on a 1080p 60hz.

I don't think either cards are a decent value. Those of us who like to spend around $300 on GPUs will have to skip this generation or move up a price tier. I'm paying $30 less than I did almost two years ago for a minuscule performance upgrade and 2GB more of VRAM. I have a 970 with a decent OC. There is nothing in the range I paid for it that is a worthwhile upgrade, unless I want to spend ~$430-450 before tax.

We need a HD 6950, or at least 560ti.

PCGH mentioned the boards have the potential to be used for GP104, so we may see a 1060Ti in the future.

"RAAAAAGGGEEE!!! How dare Hard OCP show anything but NVIDIA in the best light! Who do they thing they are, a fair review site?!? RAAAAAGGGGEEE!!!!"

In other words, Kyle gave his reasons, and they were valid. If that stomps on your fanboi nuts - too bad.
Let's not unnecessarily ruffle feathers--he didn't like the review, thinks other sites are better...let him be gone. We'll get a better picture in a week or two, and he'll either be back for more or gone for good.

PCGH mentioned the boards have the potential to be used for GP104, so we may see a 1060Ti in the future.

Doubtful given the MSRP of the 1060. Where exactly would a Ti version fit in? Only way that's possible is if they slash 1060 to the $200 mark and price the Ti at $250 and I don't see that happening anytime soon unless the 1060 fails to meet sales expectations (which doesn't seem likely).

Let's not unnecessarily ruffle feathers--he didn't like the review, thinks other sites are better...let him be gone. We'll get a better picture in a week or two, and he'll either be back for more or gone for good.

The thing is, I don't think he'll be gone. I think he'll be here and continuing to whine.

Personally, I thought it was a fair review, and showed a lot of parity overall between the two cards, with one excelling in some things, and the other excelling in other things.

This would have also been a common statement in regards to Mantle in BF4.
... I know BF1 will have Vulkan support at some point, a game that I and millions of others will play regularly. Purchasing decisions will be made based on this game.

Another thing that might also factor in here (and I'm asking because I don't know) is: will Vulcan be available for console developers? If titles are looking for portability and both future MS and PS consoles are AMD, vulcan might be a valid development path. I don't know how well the specialized sku would work with it though. Someone else would have to answer that.

Doubtful given the MSRP of the 1060. Where exactly would a Ti version fit in? Only way that's possible is if they slash 1060 to the $200 mark and price the Ti at $250 and I don't see that happening anytime soon unless the 1060 fails to meet sales expectations (which doesn't seem likely).

$300-$325. Not saying it will happen, but there's a possibility based on the PCB.

Back