NVIDIA GeForce Ampere GPU Rumors:

Nvidia can price highly and sell fewer units. They can price lower, and sell more.

Pretty sure they're aware of how that works.

2070 Super's are already in the $500's. If rumor is true that the 3070 will be just about as powerful as a 2080ti then you can bet they're going to charge at least $700 for it. Nvidia high on crack with their pricing.

$500 for a mid-range card is still expensive. I would argue that mid-range is in the $350 range, and low mid-range is in the $250 range. A $250 2060 from the beginning would have meant a 95% market share for team green.

My 1070 was 450 when I got it. RTG had no response to it for almost another year.
  1. Clearly mid-range then straddled the 400 to 500 mark
  2. Clearly nVidia had no incentive to lower prices as there was no competition

Those kinds of averages are deceptive because they take into account many games that are tailored for AMD/NVIDIA and skew results in addition to a large portion being DX 11 which Pascal did well in (103% in that graph) but gets murdered in DX 12 by Turing. As Armenius said, 4K is a big differentiator as well.
I actually threw a curve ball there, how really incompetent those charts are in this case. Those comparisons are done at 1080p and I bet a lot if not most of the games were CPU bottlenecked, making the comparison mute or worthless. At 1440p it goes up to around 37%, even there I would think some of those games would be CPU bottleneck with the 2080Ti. At 4K which you brought up is probably the best accurate measurements for the performance potential of those two cards. AMD will have to be much faster than 50% over the 5700XT I think to be able to compete with a 3080 Ti, big Navi may do well though at the 3080 point and could cause some grief for Nvidia. Now if AMD can pull off 2x performance that could be very interesting but doubt it. I hate the waiting to find out.

2070 Super's are already in the $500's. If rumor is true that the 3070 will be just about as powerful as a 2080ti then you can bet they're going to charge at least $700 for it. Nvidia high on crack with their pricing.

OK, how much do you bet?

Back