cageymaru

Fully [H]
PC Perspective ran an article detailing how to enable AMD FreeSync on an Nvidia GPU by copying the frame buffer from the Nvidia GPU to an AMD APU connected to an AMD FreeSync display. During their recent podcast #511, PCPer discusses in great detail how it was done and their testing methodology. Very fun video explanation for those of us that like to mod things because of curiosity.

AMD FreeSync Working With NVIDIA GPUs - Some Strings Attached

Interesting.

I can't watch the video right now, but U wonder what kind of lag is introduced by copying each frame across the PCIe bus.

If you copy it pixel by pixel as it is rendered it's probably negligible, but I don't know if that is possible.

It's probably copying the full frame all at once once it is done rendering. That could introduce a delay.

Would be interesting to see if the opposite is possible as well, rendering on an AMD GPU, and copying the frame buffer via PCIe to a cheap NVIDIA GPU.

I haven't watched this yet... but I wonder if it will work with desktop cards.

Back in the day, it was possible to start a game on one card, then drag the window over to a different card and the card it was started on would still do the gruntwork. I did this when I had both nVidia and AMD cards installed in the same computer.

Interesting.

I can't watch the video right now, but U wonder what kind of lag is introduced by copying each frame across the PCIe bus.

If you copy it pixel by pixel as it is rendered it's probably negligible, but I don't know if that is possible.

It's probably copying the full frame all at once once it is done rendering. That could introduce a delay.

Would be interesting to see if the opposite is possible as well, rendering on an AMD GPU, and copying the frame buffer via PCIe to a cheap NVIDIA GPU.
~3ms according to the tester.

Back