nVidia Class Action Lawsuit

Its called false advertising. I am not saying he is right but he does have a point.

Its like going to buy a car and they tell you they have this feature on a particular car model you go buy the model but it turns out that feature is broken or is NOT as advertised.

Beta Drivers are not considered FULL version and thus making his claims correct. Nvidia did mislead their customers into purchasing a product that doesn't do as it was advertised IE Being VISTA READY.

ATI has had drivers a long time for vista.
Its kinda nice to see finnaly see some one call out a tech company because tech companies seem to have absolutly NO responsibility to the market.. OH LOOK WE'VE GOT A EULA.

Nvidia could just get around this by renaming the Drivers from BETA to Public and then blame MS for being slow on the WHQL certification. Except that might be worse thing to do.

From the legal stand point he is right but as a sane person thing I am not sure.

THIS IS REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, STTTTTTTTTUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDD. :rolleyes:

Vista wasn't even released until Jan. 30, and people before that were complaining because their pirated version of Vista Ultimate wasn't ready for their new card.

Its called false advertising. I am not saying he is right but he does have a point.

Its like going to buy a car and they tell you they have this feature on a particular car model you go buy the model but it turns out that feature is broken or is NOT as advertised.

Beta Drivers are not considered FULL version and thus making his claims correct. Nvidia did mislead their customers into purchasing a product that doesn't do as it was advertised IE Being VISTA READY.

Its kinda nice to see finnaly see some one call out a tech company because tech companies seem to have absolutly NO responsibility to the market.. OH LOOK WE'VE GOT A EULA.

Nvidia could just get around this by renaming the Drivers from BETA to Public and then blame MS for being slow on the WHQL certification. Except that might be worse thing to do.

From the legal stand point he is right but as a sane person thing I am not sure.

The drivers aren't Beta. They work in Vista. Therefore, they are VISTA READY.

EDIT: THe only thing "beta" is the SLI support for DX10.

Wuh?.....wait...........didn't someone mention a free Ferrari earlier:confused: ? I'm in......:D

And GilmoreD, I agree coming from an 50% HP shop, their support has been horrible, for awhile..............

I'd prefer a Mustang... Shelby GT500 style. :)

It's only been over the past couple years, too. Before that they couldn't be beat. They really dropped the ball on the whole 64-bit thing, especially since they were pushing it for a while. I don't get it. Their printers are still the best, though, as far as the hardware itself.

Vista has not been out for 4 days idiot, its been out for 2 months in the rtm form and even longer in the beta form ... nvidia customers should have their first final driver on the 30th not their first beta driver, please dont post here if youre going to act a like a retard.

Actually, I was running beta drivers for RC1 as far back as October for my 6600GT and subsequent 7900GS, if I remember correctly. As such, saying this is the first beta is incorrect.

This is why I'm still running XP and probably won't go to Vista till June. Who didn't think that things were going to be shaky when Vista launched? It is a new OS, and it is going to take time for MS, nVidia, and everyone else to get things working on it.

patience....patience....

Man... if you think Nvidia is bad...
-looks at Creative's X-Fi drivers
-shudders-

Actually Creative had Vista drivers from three builds prior to RTM. Much more than can be said about these Beta drivers from NV.

The only people that get money with a class action is the lawyers, plaintifs get a key chain

LOL... yeah and they say "I WON"

Actually, I was running beta drivers for RC1 as far back as October for my 6600GT and subsequent 7900GS, if I remember correctly. As such, saying this is the first beta is incorrect.

The thread is about the 8800 Series cards as is the website referenced.

The thread is about the 8800 Series cards as is the website referenced.

See... that's the funny thing... Go look at the page. I don't see "8800" or "G80" mentioned once on the front page. The site is much less complete than what they claim the drivers to be.

Again, anybody that sues over poor driver support...well....they need to get a fucking life! :D

If you could sue for that and be successful, Creative would have been bankrupt about 10 years ago....:eek:

qft lol:D

As I see it , the real issue is that for too long now companies have been
allowed by the courts to profit by lying to consumers. Apparently lying
is only a punishable offense if done in a court of law and under oath.

At the same time I do not fault nVidia alone for this fiasco.
nVidia is only responsible for making the chipset which is used
on the 8800 series, Direct X 10 video cards.
There are at least a dozen manufacturers who willingly took part in this fraud.
These companies bought the chipset from nVidia, used it in the
manufacturing of their video card and sold it (Printed on the Box)
as ‘Vista Ready’ knowing full well that it was not.
Not even close.

As an IT professional – I would be considered a “generalist”
I am responsible for small networked systems, desktops, workstations
and servers, the installation and configuration of their operating systems
as well as the 3rd party applications which run in the environment.

I often build these systems from the ground up. I choose the components
and assemble the machines myself.

Specifically, I purchased an 8800GTS video card from eVGA to place in a ‘Test’
system, a model for four video editing workstations I am to deliver March 1st
of this year.

Based on the availability of components necessary to build these systems
I gave my client a delivery date.
A delivery date which included fully functional “tested” both hardware and
software, machines.
I made this purchase in early November allowing plenty of time to work
out the bugs.
As of this date – I am testing only the rate of depreciation. I can now
purchase the exact same components for several hundred dollars less.
I have lost money and more important, time.

In the defense of others, they too have been ripped off. Most know that
the purchase of a new piece of ‘cutting-edge’ hardware is going to be more
expensive the day it is offered for sale than it will be in 3, 6 or even 12
months. But the point here is that these people were willing to pay more to
“have it now” so it should work now.

Further, this was a well thought out scam and there are too many
people / companies involved to point the finger at just one.

I for one, will not accept any “token” gesture from nVidia nor from the
other manufactures who knowingly participated in this fraud.
I expect for receipts to be handed over to the offending manufactures,
full refunds to be made including the taxes and shipping and the
hardware becomes a gift as an apology.

I leave the details of who pays for this to the lawyers of nVidia,
their manufacturing cohorts & Microsoft.
Name them all – let them point fingers and sue each other.
The consumer did nothing to bring this on themselves.
In fact the opposite – consumers have consistently shown good faith with
both their dollars and their time – their time spent in countless thousands
of man hours testing and reporting hardware and software problems to
help these companies produce better products.
And in the end – this is the thanks they receive.

I wish to venture a guess from the number of the complaints that I have read
using my limited math skills.
A one billing dollar fraud has been perpetrated on consumers worldwide
with the release of nVidia’s ‘Vista Ready’ 8800 series video card and 680i
motherboard chipsets.

It's truly sad how many people are calling this "stupid"... It needs to be done. Nvidia has flat-out misled people as to the compatibility between the G80 and Vista. The drivers are completely beta at this point -- not just SLI.

I think these folks are complete justified. If the lawsuit gets off the ground, I will climb aboard. I've got a G80 SLI setup here and Vista -- I bought the combo because Nvidia said it was "the ultimate" for Vista. And it's not.

Then there's the downright bad attitude they have about abandoning Nforce2 and Nforce3 chipsets. (I do realize that this is not part of the potential lawsuit, but it is indicative of Nvidia's corporate "character".)

...workstations I am to deliver March 1st...

...I made this purchase in early November...

...I can now purchase the exact same components for several hundred dollars less.
What, you think video cards with good driver support don't depreciate?

Nobody's fault but your own.

Back on topic, if it were possible to successfully sue someone over buggy software, it would have happened by now. If you can't find a precedent, I'd say you don't have a hope in hell.

What I think is that you don't understand.

Of course they depreciate over time - all things do.

The point is that time went by and I did not get the use for which I paid.

Had the maker of the card said that it will not work untill March or April or even June.
Then I would have waited until then to make the purchase.

But saddly this is not what they said. They said that it works now. On Vista.

It didn not work on Vista when they said it.
It did not work on Vista when it was legitimatly released to the IT community in November.
It did not work on Vista when it was released to the general public on January 30th.
And
It does not work today.

Again, as I mentioned before. It is NOT false advertising, the G80 GPU's are fully DX10 compliant, so they are "Vista Ready" drivers or not. Unless you wanna get your degree in micro engineering and change that yourself.:D

i just joined the forums so i could reply to all the unhappiness that abounds from owning nvidia. i went to ati and to amd a few years back and was happy. then i got core 2 with p5wdh mobo and man my life was super happy..have a ati 1800 xt in it...but i remember nvidia cheating on the benchmarks ..and me buying msi nvidia card for 450 bucks that really sucked ..my take on all this is the benchmarks dont mean much if your computer dont run buttery smooth and fast lol..even Kyle has posted in reviews afer testing the 680i mobo that he was gonna use it in his own system..now after awile he even says in reviews he wouldnt recommend em made by anyone and his very own system will be gigbytes dsq board..lol intels atis etc are made to go and go without heartburn,,nvidia just wants your cash..from cheatin to poor products..tyvm ed;)

The driver support is pretty bad compared to most releases, especially when you consider its been three months since the products (680i included) launched. The 680i's BIOS is, in my opinion, worse off than the drivers for the 8800 in some cases. But anyway, for both pieces of hardware, in most cases they do indeed work, usually rather well.

I have my bitches about nVidia's support for these products for sure, but this lawsuit is just rediculous and unfounded.

What I think is that you don't understand.

Of course they depreciate over time - all things do.

The point is that time went by and I did not get the use for which I paid.

Had the maker of the card said that it will not work untill March or April or even June.
Then I would have waited until then to make the purchase.

But saddly this is not what they said. They said that it works now. On Vista.

It didn not work on Vista when they said it.
It did not work on Vista when it was legitimatly released to the IT community in November.
It did not work on Vista when it was released to the general public on January 30th.
And
It does not work today.

In all honesty...cry me a river.

They NEVER said it worked on Vista...it says it is "Vista ready." Have you ever bought an HD READY TV? You still need the cable box, and the software package that comes with it. Vista Ready means that the Hardware is built/works for/on Windows Vista, not that it will work right out of the box. If it said "This product will work out of the box with Vista, and includes drivers for Vista" on the box you might have a point.

How could it work on Vista when they said it when Vista was still in its BETA stage?
:rolleyes:

About it working in November, Vista was NOT in a final stage at that time (or at least it was not released to anyone), unless you pirated it and NVidia does not have to support pirated software. In November (my teacher is a member of MSDNA Software services) there were the BETA builds available for the IT Community. BETA not final and it was EXTREMELY buggy, so you expected drivers to be written for a BETA OS :rolleyes:

Yes there were no drivers Microsoft Certified drivers for it on January 30th. How about you go sue every other company out there that does not have Vista drivers?

And as of sometime Thursday there WERE Vista drivers released (check the forum), nullifying your last point.

Seems to me like YOU don't understand and YOU may want to check your information.

As for the lawsuit, I doubt NVidia is worried because the claim is that its "Vista Ready" and it is infact Vista Ready hardware, and as of Thursday software as well.

Vista has not been out for 4 days idiot, its been out for 2 months in the rtm form and even longer in the beta form ... nvidia customers should have their first final driver on the 30th not their first beta driver, please dont post here if youre going to act a like a retard.

Okay, as If I didn't know that!!!! You are so wise and knowledgeable, I wanna be like you when I growup.. Want a doggy biscuit?

I know vista has been out for a long time, however a company should only be expected (not required) to have a driver ready on the Official launch which was the 30th. That was my point, there were working drivers available!!! whether or not they are beta doesn't mean anything. The only thing lacking was SLi support on day 1. I believe it was day 2 or 3 you even got that. The only thing lacking is DX10 SLi support and the minute fact that the drivers are not full WHQL. Idiot huh, well Dr Peppir, seems the only idiot here is you so why don't you go re-join the circle jerk you came from with coke and sprite. :eek:

QFT (Quoted For truth) and may I say Drpeppir if your going to post like an idiot and retard.. Dont post here!!!!!!!:D

I'll admit that things have not gone smoothly for Nvdia. They are getting ripped on many tech forums, they are getting an ear full from there own fanbase over at the sli zone community & now this site comes up. They are doing the best they can IMO. Not the greatest of jobs, but a work in progress. The only thing missing now is the Sli but that is no real lose to many seeing how a single 8800 GTX can outperform any crossfire or prior sli config anyways. The 8800 GTS can hold its own in every game as well. So there should be no rush for it. As long as it's optimized to the fullest & the next patch does come out, all this will blow over.

Actually Creative had Vista drivers from three builds prior to RTM. Much more than can be said about these Beta drivers from NV.
Beta drivers, and not drivers without problems. Hit the Computer Audio forum or, better yet, Creative's own forums when you have the chance.

Your point still stands, of course, but don't make it out to be a greater divide than what it really is. The timing factor is meaningless.

needles said:
I've got a G80 SLI setup here and Vista -- I bought the combo because Nvidia said it was "the ultimate" for Vista. And it's not.
Please. Let's not kid ourselves here -- this is not how the law works. You can't "jump on board" a lawsuit because your definition of "ultimate" differs from NVIDIA's. This isn't Candyland, is it?

The lawsuit is regarding "Vista Ready", so stick with that.

Wrench00 said:
Nvidia did mislead their customers into purchasing a product that doesn't do as it was advertised IE Being VISTA READY.
Define "Vista Ready".

wow, even this tool's server is shittacularly slow

took 10 seconds to load his frontpage.

what a bag of shit.

Amazing how this got to the fourth page...

It's ridiculous and it shouldn't have all this attention turned toward it. The guy probably has some hit counter and placed a bet, which he will win, if that counter reaches a certain number...

Everyone that had the least bit experience in the world of software and hardware (especially software), knows that every single new product, requires some time to sort out all the "problems". Compatibility and driver support for a new Operating System, doesn't just come out of nowhere. It's a painstaking task, that takes time and effort from many people. NVIDIA is in an unique situation this time, since it has new hardware and a new OS, to provide driver support for. Unfortunately for NVIDIA, it's not been perfect, but they DO have working drivers out there.
Since Vista is already out, at last, it actually makes sense to complain or to be unhappy about drivers not being 100%, but a lawsuit ? Laughable at best...

Why bother with nvidia? If you are going for a brain dead law suit I'd just sue microsoft for releasing vista before it was ready.

I very rarely would spend top dollar to get the lastest video card for all the normal reason, depreciation, etc...

Now, you have Vista RTM, you have a brand new DirectX 10 card (the G80, which is what everyone is upset about) that every review proclaims runs games like Oblivion maxed out. Wow, excitement!!! So you purchase your "Vista Ready" card. You get it home $650 dollars later only to discover:

1. there are no Vista drivers
2. nothing about Vista drivers
3. the install disc actually loads XP drivers

Now..let's run my Vista Index score to check out my new card's score.

BSOD (blue screen of death, for the noobs)

Oh well, let's watch a movie...

BSOD

Getting the picture. I buy nothing but nVidia cards, and I should be ticked off that I have to game on XP (which works fine). I'm praying that by the time Halo 2 for Vista comes out at the end of March, that I'll be able to play it.

In conclusion, if any one of you actually spent $650 on a coaster, you'd understand 100% of the frustrations involved. To wait for 2 months for drivers to be release and to then get BETA drivers is unacceptable, period. I signed up on that site, if for nothing else than to hopefully pressure nVidia into getting it's act together. The Business version of Vista was released on November 30th, it shouldn't take this long.

:mad:

NV couldn't care less about getting ripped in the tech forums. What's pushing them to release drivers for Vista is Microsoft. Because right now the biggest OEM manufacturer in the world (Dell), is not selling Vista in PC's with 8800 cards. Microsoft doesn't like that b/c it's hurting the "Vista is ready and stable" image they've been pushing. So they're bitching out NV hard, and hence, suddenly we're getting a reversal in NV's driver production (i.e. promising monthly releases, etc).

You mean libel. Slander is spoken, not written. :D

325pxjksimmonsjonahmovier0.jpg

"It's libel if it's in print."

Ok, a few things, first his server is hosted on his own computer and he takes it down to game. Good for him breaking his ISP's TOS (I have yet to see an ISP that allowed yyou to host a webserver without paying for a larger package, the larger package would give him enough speed to game. Me thinks he needs a Farking and a side order of Slashdot to teach him this lesson lol).

Second if he says he is suing nVidia and doesn't can't they counter sue? I thought it was illegal to threaten to sue and not.

Third the guy is a complete tool.

Back