NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang hints at ‘exciting’ next-generation GPU update on September 20th Tuesday

If the 4080 12GB is the same performance as a 3090...and the 3090's can be had for 650-700 used, 800-900 new AND the 4080 12GB uses 35 less watts, and has half the memory of the 3090.....Its a no brainer to get a 3090, or hell a 3090ti.
used 3090 price will probably adjust if that the case, but I suspected some deals on those 3090TI were not that bad at all (for people for who 24gig had any relevance, even really good).

Will need to wait for review and how much better DLSS 3.0 really is, because according to this the 4080 12gb could be way better at gaming than the 3090, specially in the scenario that are actually hard enough to run for those cards to make sense:

01_nvidias-new-geforce-rtx-4080-16gb-revealed_full.jpg

Will have to see how those DLSS frame generation are worth versus regular frame obviously, but in those best case scenario a 4080 (12GB) could be between 1.5 to 2.5x time a 3080TI (that not that far from the 3090 gaming perf usually I think).

People look at bus wide, core numbers, VRAM amount to talk about justifying a xx80 tag or not, but in reality how/why would it not be purely a mix about the performance versus the previous generation and the upcoming competition that fully set the price and naming convention ? End of the days, all that matter is performance.

Like all the talk about RDNA 2 memory bandwidth (or almost all of the talk about ampere VRAM amount), end of the day purely irrelevant if the FPS are there.

used 3090 price will probably adjust if that the case, but I suspected some deals on those 3090TI were not that bad at all (for people for who 24gig had any relevance, even really good).

Will need to wait for review and how much better DLSS 3.0 really is, because according to this the 4080 12gb could be way better at gaming than the 3090, specially in the scenario that are actually hard enough to run for those cards to make sense:

View attachment 511986
Will have to see how those DLSS frame generation are worth versus regular frame obviously, but in those best case scenario a 4080 (12GB) could be between 1.5 to 2.5x time a 3080TI (that not that far from the 3090 gaming perf usually I think).

People look at bus wide, core numbers, VRAM amount to talk about justifying a xx80 tag or not, but in reality how/why would it not be purely a mix about the performance versus the previous generation and the upcoming competition that fully set the price and naming convention ? End of the days, all that matter is performance.

Like all the talk about RDNA 2 memory bandwidth (or almost all of the talk about ampere VRAM amount), end of the day purely irrelevant if the FPS are there.
Showing a marketing slide from a company that wants to sell you a product and believing it is not a good idea. Wait until unbiased honest reviews because Nvidia, Intel and AMD all fucking try to bullshit stuff about their products.

Remember my 3090 was the first 8k gaming card from what Nvidia said!! They didn't lie about that at all....

Showing a marketing slide from a company that wants to sell you a product and believing it is not a good idea.
If those part of the message were not clear enough: if that the case the best case scenario .... Will have to see how those DLSS frame generation are worth versus regular frame obviously.. .according to this... could be, we are all purely speculating and have nothing else to go with, I would assume 99.99% of the users of a message boards named Hard will always look at less biased review than company cherry picked benchmark before making a decision, specially when it is a sample size of 3 title that support DLSS 3.0.

Marketing is one, but the pricing is also an indication, there is a 3090 at $960 on NewEgg right now, it is possible that a yet to be released $900 12 gig card will be significantly better at gaming.

At least the 4090 street date (and review embargo date) = only a few weeks away. It won't be like the 30-series where we were waiting around for 3 months and hoping they wouldn't suck before desperately hitting F5 on some retail site.

View attachment 511986

I can't imagine many people would be happy with the IQ of DLSS in performance mode which makes those results fairly meaningless. We'll have a much better idea where these cards sit in terms of performance and efficiency after NDA lifts.

Marketing is one, but the pricing is also an indication, there is a 3090 at $960 on NewEgg right now, it is possible that a yet to be released $900 12 gig card will be significantly better at gaming.
There is no FE 4080 12 GB card therefore there will be only AIB 4080 12 GB card and therefore there will be no $900 4080 12 GB card.

Correct. I think Nvidia is going to wait until 3090 chips are almost gone, holding it's price above $900 before releasing the 4070.

The 4080 12GB (really 4070) was priced higher, given the 4080 name and made AIB only to prevent the bottom from dropping out on 3090 chips.
Image a 4070 12GB for $699 trouncing a 3090 when they have a warehouse full of them.

I wouldn't be surprised he made a price increase on the 4080s at the last minute, that's why pricing slides didn't show all of the model prices.
It like the slide presenter was told to stop. lol. We immediately saw they were a bad value compared to the 4090.

Last gen the 3090 was $1500 and the 3080 was $699. How did the 4080 16GB get a $500 price increase is beyond me.

There is no FE 4080 12 GB card therefore there will be only AIB 4080 12 GB card and therefore there will be no $900 4080 12 GB card.
I mean they could surprise us with a cheap boring blower style devoid of RBG bling with a plain name like "<Brandname> RTX 2080 12G" with no stupid extreme gaming SNUFF BDSM edition bullshit at a suffix.

Their graph numbers are believable. Of course they are what they did was run the 3090 ti at 4k with ray tracing and everything else set to MAX. Then compared that to the 4000 running DLSS 3.

Seems a bit deceptive... but can't say that for sure till people get cards to test. From what I heard Jensen say these are 25% more powerful when we aren't talking about RT performance... or this new dlss which apparently is making frames up completely. I don't know I'll reserve judgement on that till I actually see it in operation myself.

Correct. I think Nvidia is going to wait until 3090 chips are almost gone, holding it's price above $900 before releasing the 4070.

The 4080 12GB (really 4070) was priced higher, given the 4080 name and made AIB only to prevent the bottom from dropping out on 3090 chips.
Image a 4070 12GB for $699 trouncing a 3090 when they have a warehouse full of them.

I wouldn't be surprised he made a price increase on the 4080s at the last minute, that's why pricing slides didn't show all of the model prices.
It like the slide presenter was told to stop. lol
I can see it now, "FUCK I just got off the phone with Jensen, you know the slides he approved, scrap pages 18-24, and 36-45, just gloss over what would have been there as though it was a fleeting after thought and just continue on with slide 46. And just don't shit your whole ass on stage and say something stupid like "well you all have RTX don't you?"

Is the 450 watt TDP true people think (NVIDIA recommand a 850 watt PSU), is it really the same that the 3090 TI was ?

Does that reflect that amount of talk around this ? (I do not imagine people expected power going down)

I can see it now, "FUCK I just got off the phone with Jensen, you know the slides he approved, scrap pages 18-24, and 36-45, just gloss over what would have been there as though it was a fleeting after thought and just continue on with slide 46. And just don't shit your whole ass on stage and say something stupid like "well you all have RTX don't you?"
lol go back and rewatch that part, the pricing slides. It's like someone was beyond nervous to click the mouse.

Their graph numbers are believable. Of course they are what they did was run the 3090 ti at 4k with ray tracing and everything else set to MAX. Then compared that to the 4000 running DLSS 3.

Seems a bit deceptive... but can't say that for sure till people get cards to test. From what I heard Jensen say these are 25% more powerful when we aren't talking about RT performance... or this new dlss which apparently is making frames up completely. I don't know I'll reserve judgement on that till I actually see it in operation myself.
Deceptive? No fucking way. It just works. The more you buy the more you save. On a serious note if they got 25% more at the same power that’s great. If it’s with 25% more wattage that’s bad. Power costs money.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Deceptive? No fucking way. It just works. The more you buy the more you save. On a serious note if they got 25% more at the same power that’s great. If it’s with 25% more wattage that’s bad. Power costs money.
The H100 in theory is 4x faster than the A100 at 2x the power draw, so that is technically half the electrical bill and one quarter the hours involved per job, depending on your workload that upgrade could pay for itself in a few months. So from the right perspective it's pretty truthful
I am looking forward to seeing what that new NVLink can do, I mean that it way out of my price range but sweet Jebus it looks fun!

4080 series doesn't seem that impressive. The 12GB version definitely should have been a 4070.

I'm really eager for some real benchmarks. What I would really like to know is how the 3090 and 3090 Ti stand up against the various versions of the 4080 (ignoring DLSS, since none of the games I play use it). I mean, obviously the 4090 will be faster than a 3090 Ti, but it seems really unclear to me where the 4080 cards will fit in.

My 2080 is a bottleneck for me in most games at the moment, even in WoW which is notoriously CPU-bound, so I'm eager to replace the 2080. Based on what I've seen so far, I plan to either go all-out and buy a 4090, or I'm going to find a good deal on a 3090 or 3090 Ti (maybe even a used card). This will largely depend on how the 3090 cards stack up against the 4080 cards. It would feel like a waste to get a 3090 Ti if it can't even beat a 4080 12GB in most games (without DLSS or RT). I feel a bit burned by the 2080 having only had 8GB VRAM, so I would not even consider a 12GB GPU this round. For me to consider getting a 16GB 4080 over a cheaper 24GB 3090 Ti, the 4080 16GB better do damn well in the benchmarks...

I'm starting to wonder if the 4080 12GB will be faster than the 3080 10GB outside of DLSS 3 compatible titles.

4080 series doesn't seem that impressive. The 12GB version definitely should have been a 4070.

I'm really eager for some real benchmarks. What I would really like to know is how the 3090 and 3090 Ti stand up against the various versions of the 4080 (ignoring DLSS, since none of the games I play use it). I mean, obviously the 4090 will be faster than a 3090 Ti, but it seems really unclear to me where the 4080 cards will fit in.

My 2080 is a bottleneck for me in most games at the moment, even in WoW which is notoriously CPU-bound, so I'm eager to replace the 2080. Based on what I've seen so far, I plan to either go all-out and buy a 4090, or I'm going to find a good deal on a 3090 or 3090 Ti (maybe even a used card). This will largely depend on how the 3090 cards stack up against the 4080 cards. It would feel like a waste to get a 3090 Ti if it can't even beat a 4080 12GB in most games (without DLSS or RT). I feel a bit burned by the 2080 having only had 8GB VRAM, so I would not even consider a 12GB GPU this round. For me to consider getting a 16GB 4080 over a cheaper 24GB 3090 Ti, the 4080 16GB better do damn well in the benchmarks...
You really feel burned that the 2080 is 8gb? The card is 4 years old at this point and the 3070 ti is only 8gb...

The H100 in theory is 4x faster than the A100 at 2x the power draw, so that is technically half the electrical bill and one quarter the hours involved per job, depending on your workload that upgrade could pay for itself in a few months. So from the right perspective it's pretty truthful
I am looking forward to seeing what that new NVLink can do, I mean that it way out of my price range but sweet Jebus it looks fun!
There’s definitely some workloads where they really accelerate performance gen to gen, on the consumer front it’s been a slow plod since pascal.

I'm starting to wonder if the 4080 12GB will be faster than the 3080 10GB outside of DLSS 3 compatible titles.
i was debating a guy at work. I said that my 3080 would be identical to a 4080 12gb (4070) if you clocked them the same. He insisted the shitty 4080 would be MUCH faster.

what do you guys think? Less cores on 4080, but better arch, so about a tie is my reasoning for my thinking.

i was debating a guy at work. I said that my 3080 would be identical to a 4080 12gb (4070) if you clocked them the same. He insisted the shitty 4080 would be MUCH faster.

what do you guys think? Less cores on 4080, but better arch, so about a tie is my reasoning for my thinking.
Pretty sure you can’t compare cores gen to gen, though I may be wrong

I would amount going 50%+ faster with the much, much better node could be so crucial to the 4080 performance over the 3080 that it would be possible, but not sure if that matter or in what way.

Has for the direct core comparison, a 4090 has 2.7 the transistor count than a 3090 I think (76,300 vs 28,300), despite that has only 60% or so more cores, maybe more transistor are involved to do other things, but maybe the 4xxx cores has more transistor and significantly do more in a clock cycle than the 3xxx cores.

I think it will be a bit faster due to a new architecture, though it could be like Maxwell to Pascal where the main difference is clock speed.

Either way, they are high as hell if they think I am paying $1200 for a 4080 16gb, much less $900 for a rebadged X70 card, besides my 3080 is fine for now. Would rather upgrade my 9900k to ryzen 7000.

Any leaks on what amd is up to? diss is cool and and all, but half the time that I want it.. it isn't supported and there still aren't that many games with raytracing.

It's going to be very dependent on a number of things but Samsung 8n was a shitty process when compared to TSMC 7, going from Samsung 8n to TSMC 4N is a significant jump it has almost twice the practical density and much better thermals. So its anybody's game, I am looking forward to benchmarks, but I am not looking to offload the 3080TI I had to buy out of desperation when my 2080TI shat itself 5 months ago.

Last edited:
You really feel burned that the 2080 is 8gb?

To a certain extent, yes. When I got my 2080 I could have gone with either a 2080 or 1080 Ti. They were essentially the same price and neck and neck in most benchmarks. The older 1080 Ti had 11Gb Ram. I went with the 2080 for the newer features but the 8GB VRAM always felt like a compromise. Ironically the main thing that I do with the 2080 that I could not have done with the 1080 Ti is use DLDSR, but running my monitor at 4K via DLDSR is causing me to run out of VRAM in some cases. I'm quite eager to get a card with more than 8GB. Even the old Dell laptop that I use has 16GB VRam on it's Quadro RTX 5000 (basically a mobile 2080).

After looking closer at some of NVidia's own benchmarks the 4080 cards are not impressive at all. The 4080 12gb is losing to the 3090 ti in games where its not using that DLSS 3. That means the 4080 12gb is only about 15% faster than the current 3080 which is a joke especially considering it costs a laughable 900 bucks. They are going to pressure reviewers hard to focus on DLSS 3 for sure.

After looking closer at some of NVidia's own benchmarks the 4080 cards are not impressive at all. The 4080 12gb is losing to the 3090 ti in games where its not using that DLSS 3. That means the 4080 12gb is only about 15% faster than the current 3080 which is a joke especially considering it costs a laughable 900 bucks. They are going to pressure reviewers hard to focus on DLSS 3 for sure.
Would be an even funnier joke if reviewers were to pit the 4080 12gb up against the 3080 12gb to display the generational leap in performance. :p I am betting Nvidia would regret the naming then ...

What's happening right now is an exact repeat of the 20 series.
Mining crash, tons of old-gen cards still on the market, Nvidia keeps prices high to sell old stock, new cards have bad raster gains. Nvidia hopes DLSS/raytracing will be enough to sell them, it won't.

The official Nvidia RRPs for the 4080 12gb and 16 gb in my territory are outrageously over the top! Beyond galling that Nvidia thinks no one will notice them pushing what is the standard top tier card into exotic Titan territory in terms of pricing.

Last edited:
Ada architectureposition equivalency to previous model >>>>>Ampere architecture
40903090/ 3080ti
4080 16GB3070
4080 12GB3060

To a certain extent, yes. When I got my 2080 I could have gone with either a 2080 or 1080 Ti. They were essentially the same price and neck and neck in most benchmarks. The older 1080 Ti had 11Gb Ram. I went with the 2080 for the newer features but the 8GB VRAM always felt like a compromise. Ironically the main thing that I do with the 2080 that I could not have done with the 1080 Ti is use DLDSR, but running my monitor at 4K via DLDSR is causing me to run out of VRAM in some cases. I'm quite eager to get a card with more than 8GB. Even the old Dell laptop that I use has 16GB VRam on it's Quadro RTX 5000 (basically a mobile 2080).
When were they ever the same price? IIRC the 2080 was ~800 and the ti ~1200. The cheapest ti I remember was $999 and they were the dual slot/low profile kind that weren't very good as they throttled a bunch or had to run the fans near 100%.

Would be an even funnier joke if reviewers were to pit the 4080 12gb up against the 3080 12gb to display the generational leap in performance. :p I am betting Nvidia would regret the naming then ...
If the 4080 12GB is equal in speed or slower to the 3080 12GB, even in a single situation, it will be a massive "egg on face" moment for Nvidia.

4080 12gb really is a 4070. freaking $900 for a xx70 series card is nuts. While my 1080 is really starting to show its age, I can wait a good while for an upgrade. Hopefully AMD is far more reasonable on their MSRP for their next gen cards.

I think the actual 4080 16GB was going to be $900 and the 4080 12GB was going to be the 4070, but with everything going on they renamed the 4070 to a 4080 12GB and then created a new middle price between the 'new' 4080 12GB and 4090 and put the original 4080 in there, as a $$recoup measure and keep the 3k series 'inline' or whatever

It's...... a plan. We'll see with time if a good or bad plan (for them), but it is a plan.

Last edited:
Think what you will about MLID but I very much liked his close that is pertinent to the comments below. I wish more people would hold NV's claims to the fire.

View attachment 511986

Showing a marketing slide from a company that wants to sell you a product and believing it is not a good idea. Wait until unbiased honest reviews because Nvidia, Intel and AMD all fucking try to bullshit stuff about their products.

Remember my 3090 was the first 8k gaming card from what Nvidia said!! They didn't lie about that at all....

Video at the mark:

Worth mentioning, Ian Cutress recently stated publicly that he keeps and eye on this and that AMD in recent history has been spot on with the benchmark data that AMD has shown during launches. Ian said that his testing and AMD's testing in benchmarks was within 1% when it came to framerates/scores. That is in a video somewhere of his, but I am not looking that up. I think it might have been in a recent PCWorld video where Gordon and Ian were having a chat.

Back