NVIDIA Announces The New Titan X

Let's settle on nomenclature now before it gets unwieldy and confusing

Maxwell Titan X: Mitan X
Pascal Titan X: Pitan X

Yeah...what's with the naming convention. I have to update my sig so everyone knows I have the PASCAL TitanX and not that old maxwell junk ;) - Pitan X it is.

It says "..direct from Nvidia.."

So I am thinking it has a $200 "Founders Edition" fee tacked on. Here's hoping that that actual retail price is $999 from vendors like EVGA, ASUS, Zotac, etc.

All Titans have always been reference cards (aka FE). AIB partners were never allowed to do their own versions (with the exception of a few sold with pre-installed waterblocks). And now you won't even be able to get it from anyone but Nvidia.

Wait so I can get 2 1080s and destroy this thing or um wtf. If it has the 1/128 FP64 limit as consumer pascal it won't be a mini Quadro. It only has 4gb more RAM and not like double. Doesn't really sound impressive.

I was not expecting this to be launched so soon.

I may have to switch my recently acquired 1080 for one of these. A single 1080 is still not fast enough for 4k, and I have no desire to ever do SLI/Crossfire again.

Wait so I can get 2 1080s and destroy this thing or um wtf. If it has the 1/128 FP64 limit as consumer pascal it won't be a mini Quadro. It only has 4gb more RAM and not like double. Doesn't really sound impressive.

yeah, but then the jokes on you, because you'll be stuck with SLI.

It is never a good idea to use two slower GPU's when a faster GPU is available. You may get higher theoretical frame rates, but th eoverall experience will almost always be worse. Multi-GPU really is that awful.

So Maxwell = GTX Titan X
and Pascal = Nvidia Titan X

....next one will be a just "Tit"....or at least I will feel like one if I purchased it. I may wait till Volta now. =/

It is never a good idea to use two slower GPU's when a faster GPU is available. You may get higher theoretical frame rates, but th eoverall experience will almost always be worse. Multi-GPU really is that awful.
Plus, the new "HB" bridge looks to offer no improvement for frametimes.

As much as this should bother me- it doesn't. I've been quite happy with GTX670 SLI and now GTX970 SLI- and I'll probably wait for the 11x0 generation to decide whether I'll jump for a Ti card or do SLI again.

Reactions: Whach
like this
So was this pretty unexpected to the whole crowd? If so, I wonder if AMD has a black ace up their sleeve now?? Although I highly doubt in this day and age with rumors, leaks, etc...

Secretly I guess I would just hope AMD waited for NVIDIA to show their trump card and now tweak whatever they have to match or superseed the green's team card.. Wishful thinking I know.. :D

I think we were all expecting a new Titan, I don't think we were expecting it so soon. (At least I wasn't, or I wouldn't have bought the 1080)

My 1080 purchase was always intended to be a stopgap for the new Titan.

As much as this should bother me- it doesn't. I've been quite happy with GTX670 SLI and now GTX970 SLI- and I'll probably wait for the 11x0 generation to decide whether I'll jump for a Ti card or do SLI again.

Well, I did crossfire back in 2010-2011 when I first got my 30" 2560x1600 screen, and tried SLI last year when I got my 4k screen because everyone says it is better than Crossfire (which it is, but not better enough) and I will never do it again.

I tried multi-GPU when I was an early adopter of a new higher resolution because no single GPU on the market was fast enough for me. As soon as single GPU's catch up and are able to perform at 4k, I see no reason to ever again do multi-GPU.

SLI/CF simply aren't consistent. It can work great or it can be crap or it can do nothing and it just depends. EMA in DX 12 might change that but who knows at this point. But as you say it's almost always best to buy the best single card you can.

1/32 FP64 consumer Pascal, not 1/128 and the Quadro line doesn't always offer FP64. See maxwell quadro.

1/32 FP64 consumer Pascal, not 1/128 and the Quadro line doesn't always offer FP64. See maxwell quadro.
No it's 1/128 for the gtx10x0 run in packed mode giving you 1/64 in some scenarios. Unless this chip is a cut down gp100 then it may get to 1/32 but that's not confirmed from nVidia.

Edit: meant fp16 sorry

Last edited:
I think we were all expecting a new Titan, I don't think we were expecting it so soon. (At least I wasn't, or I wouldn't have bought the 1080)

My 1080 purchase was always intended to be a stopgap for the new Titan.
You see that tesla they release before the 1080?
That basically screams "turn me into a titan".

The only reason they didn't announce it sooner (it was also on some of the drivers/hardware ids (Nvidia's full Geforce Pascal lineup device hardware IDs revealed), rumor sites such as Nvidia GP102 Titan coming soon) was probably to not interfere with sales of the 1080.

No it's 1/128 for the gtx10x0 run in packed mode giving you 1/64 in some scenarios. Unless this chip is a cut down gp100 then it may get to 1/32 but that's not confirmed from nVidia.
Pretty sure it's 4 FP64 units per SM for CC6.1 (gp104)

Still pretty exciting, I have been waiting a long time to upgrade from a Gtx 680. This should be a massive performance boost.

Easily solved - Titan X 2016 Edition. (not the first time nVidia has a new edition of an old product; they did it with the SHIELD (twice)).
I was actually thinking of the GTX 260, if I recall 216 vs 192 SP versions.

No competition there may be no 1080ti in the forseeable future.

I agree! Until AMD gets some more higher end GPU's out we might not see the Ti any time soon. But higher end GPU's will go against the rebellion.

I am frankly surprised NV didn't sit on the Titan a little while longer but now it looks, public image wise, like AMD is way behind the competition if they don't answer soon.

I do believe there will be a 1080 Ti. If we went by the 'competition drives nVidia release cycle', nVidia wouldn't have released a 1080 or the new Titan X; we'd only have a 1050 (not released yet but rumored to be a cut 1060), 1060, and 1070.

I do believe there will be a 1080 Ti. If we went by the 'competition drives nVidia release cycle', nVidia wouldn't have released a 1080 or the new Titan X; we'd only have a 1050 (not released yet but rumored to be a cut 1060), 1060, and 1070.

Don't think anyone said that. But there is merit to the fact that nvidia would want a competing product in every market segment they can have. If AMD can't outpace the 1080 with anything there is no reason to release a 1080ti. If you want more power you simply buy the new titan.

glad i didnt spend my money on the 1080 :D :D :D :D

I certainly am glad I picked up my EVGA 1080, I'm extremely pleased with it, and in no way shape or form am I going to toss 1200 bucks for this new Titan. Can't wait to see how it performs in benches though!

Nobody said it exactly the way I said it (thus the single quotes indicating a paraphrase) but people are speculating that there won't be a 1080 Ti because of no competition from AMD. But that would mean we'd only have a 1060 and 1070 today if we went with that metric.

Instead, we have three consumer nVidia Pascal cards on deck with at least two to come (the Titan X Pascal version and the 1050). Thus, I don't feel like nVidia's really reacting to competition for this cycle; they're simply releasing cards for every market segment and hoping that each card they make finds a home somewhere.

It's like nVidia is either cleaning the decks for Volta or nVidia has a spy in the Vega manufacturing facility and Vega is going to decimate the already-released cards, thus necessitating the release of a Titan X Pascal Edition. And, if that's the case (however unlikely that may seem) nVidia would still need to release a 1080 Ti simply to have two SKUs at in that performance and price bracket.

GTX275 wasn't it ? Also had 8800GTS -> 8800GT ->9800GTX -> 9800GTX+
Actually the 275 was a different card. They released the 260 with 192 cores then began producing the 260 with 216 and continued calling it the 260. 275 came later on with yet again an addition 24 cores for a total of 240 and slightly higher clocks than the 260.

The only reason they didn't announce it sooner (it was also on some of the drivers/hardware ids (Nvidia's full Geforce Pascal lineup device hardware IDs revealed), rumor sites such as Nvidia GP102 Titan coming soon) was probably to not interfere with sales of the 1080.

So they pretty much wanted their entire high end customer base to be pissed off that they bought a 1080 too soon? Nice...

Yeah, I saw the Tesla, and I assumed that just like last time around, the big Pascal would have early yield issues and high Tesla demand keep it from being a Titan right off the bat.

Have Titan's historically been able to overclock very much, or are they pretty much maxed already?

Congrats to Nvidia for likely spending piles of man hours coming up with the name for this...

Oh wait... :eek: :LOL:

Congrats to Nvidia for likely spending piles of man hours coming up with the name for this...

Oh wait... :eek: :LOL:
I quite like the idea of every top tier card using the largest die in a generation being called a Titan X.

Kepler: Kitan X
Max: Mitan X
Pasc: Pitan X
Volta: Vitan X
Einstein: .... fuck

Just as much as other Pascal cards more or less. Slightly less because of power. 2GHz is likely

Well, I don't know how high you'll be able to adjust voltage, but it looks like it is wired for a decent amount of power.

One 8 pin and one 6 pin pice 12 power connectors, plus PCIe slot puts it at 300W, and stock TDP is 250 watt, so that means +20% power over stock without violating power specs, and we all know you can usually slightly violate power specs...

Sadly I may just pick this up, my 980Ti Hybrid is having problems maxing out settings on my 3440x1440 monitor and I'd like to grab a 4k one in the next year.

Sad because the price is insane.

I think the fact it was announced with no fanfare, and at an AI event to boot, is a pretty good indication of why they don't give a shit that's its no cost effective for gamers :p
Since when has any Titan card been cost effective for gamers?

Sadly I may just pick this up, my 980Ti Hybrid is having problems maxing out settings on my 3440x1440 monitor and I'd like to grab a 4k one in the next year.

Sad because the price is insane.

I bought the 1080 to cap my minimum frames with eye candy at 60FPS at 3440 x 1440 - I had the 1070 for 28 days and it ran FFXIV maxed out eye candy, with just drops in 24 man scenarios. I'm thinking out of the box, or even with a tiny OC - the 1080 will crush 21:9 right now. 4k though... no idea.

Back