NVIDIA Annouces Quad SLI

cyks said:
swap intel for amd and improve the cooling, and i am in...
I still think there must be a hole through the cards under the GPU fan's, that would allow air to come in through the top card and be sucked through all the cards under it :eek:

Yea, Idiots are not rich.... fool's gold-- pure comedy-- i love it.

No one is poking fun at Intel, AMD is just better for games. Sure you can overclock an Intel to make it finally outperform an AMD, but the same can be better said the other way around.

Unknown-One said:
I still think there must be a hole through the cards under the GPU fan's, that would allow air to come in through the top card and be sucked through all the cards under it :eek:
I agree, they look superglued

If i can get my hands on that system, Ill pull the cards out and throw them on an Asus A8N32-SLI to see how those babies perform with the proper cpu. An overclocked like mad 170 on water... maybe go a little more extreme and use peltier.. (dont even say phase change, i dont have it now, and after i buy that system, i WONT be able to afford it.)

I imagine that quad SLI will be available beyon Dell systems. My guess is that it will be a big selling point for G71/G80, as I doubt that ATI will be able to do the same anytime soon. It will guarantee that nVidia the performace crown, assuming that you though enough cards and money at the problem.

arabdon1203 said:
uh huh, the fx series really dominated hard ;)

Have to figure in the down time, putting some of your resources into SLI for the future would surly hinder your current releases at that time (FX era). They just needed some more time to stop, think and innovate :)

Check ATi, your move.

Emission said:
A64 the best? Pssh. My P4 oc'ed to 3.72GHz does better than my A64 S754 Venice 3000+ would do at 3GHz. I got a significantly better score in benching with my P4, so dont give up on P4's just yet. ALSO, dont forget that dell signed a contract with intel, so they wouldnt be able to use AMD's even if they wanted to.

you defy benchmarks at every single hardware site there is :p can someone please answer my question? Would a single pci-e slot mobo be capable of using one of these for sli goodness on 1 slot?

imagine the noise come out of those 4 cards w/o water cooling. You can't even hear yourself screaming.

arabdon1203 said:
you defy benchmarks at every single hardware site there is :p can someone please answer my question? Would a single pci-e slot mobo be capable of using one of these for sli goodness on 1 slot?

No you need a SLi capable mobo.

Happy Hopping said:
imagine the noise come out of those 4 cards w/o water cooling. You can't even hear yourself screaming.

The 512mb GTX cards the stock cooler is one of the quietest solutions I have ever seen or not heard ;). It actually does work the best for air cooling for the most part and the sound well I can't even tell they are running hell my panaflos are louder 120.

Nvidia actually did choose a great cooling solution.

I cannot wait to see how this beast fares!
Some may call it a big waste, and in terms of practicality it is, but I am glad Nvidia did this.

Rahul Sood said:
Now that some time has passed, has your opinion changed?
I hold Dell in high regard, however, throwing Quad SLI at an Intel based gaming system is much like putting lipstick on a pig.

LMAOO

quad SLI....waste of money, maybe in a few years that could change - but right now....when this comes out it will be so expensive and so not worth it

maybe it's not because im poor but because i can think of better ways to throw my money around than on 4 gpus that my CPU can't keep up with

go wipe your ass with cash

TOM evaluated this 4 gpu stuff when nVidia (edit: ASUS) set out a bunch of reviewer copies of the hardware, and it wasn't THAT impressive to the point where it could be worth it

1. http://pcgamer.com/forum/viewtopic....quad+sli&sid=5e25c468572e6505b074d9f4d0ede017
(http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=195)
2. http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/14/sneak_preview_of_the_nvidia_quad_gpu_setup/

on the other hand maybe next year 2 GPUs on one card will be a great thing, at a decent price with good performance, ill be SOLD

HopePoisoned said:
quad SLI....waste of money, maybe in a few years that could change - but right now....when this comes out it will be so expensive and so not worth it

maybe it's not because im poor but because i can think of better ways to throw my money around than on 4 gpus that my CPU can't keep up with

go wipe your ass with cash

TOM already evaluated this stuff when nVidia set out a bunch of reviewer copies of the hardware, and it wasn't THAT impressive to the point where it could be worth it

1. http://pcgamer.com/forum/viewtopic....quad+sli&sid=5e25c468572e6505b074d9f4d0ede017
(http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=195)
2. http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/14/sneak_preview_of_the_nvidia_quad_gpu_setup/

WTF!!!!!!!!

F.E.A.R was almost TWICE the FPS with quad SLI than regular SLI??????? How can you say it's not worth it?

Huggles said:
WTF!!!!!!!!

F.E.A.R was almost TWICE the FPS with quad SLI than regular SLI??????? How can you say it's not worth it?

because fear is one game and seeing over 60 fps doesn't make a difference in your head, and you can achieve that by overclocking instead of blowing away money that could be spent on a car

on the other hand it really isn't bad, dont get me wrong - but right now in winter 06...maybe not

and Huggles, if you want to compare game by game you could easily say that this 4 GPU setup by Asus was even worse than normal dual 7800s in certain games

HopePoisoned said:
TOM evaluated this 4 gpu stuff when nVidia (edit: ASUS) set out a bunch of reviewer copies of the hardware, and it wasn't THAT impressive to the point where it could be worth it
Anyone that buys a setup like this isn't looking for how much bang per buck they can get.

And the Asus cards are 7800GT cores with 256MB of RAM.
Not 7800GTX's with 512MB's of ram.

I'd say there's a huge difference between the 2 of the dual GPU Asus cards, and 2 of the dual GPU Dell/nVidia cards.

Hey! Relax, it's CES and both Dell and nVIDIA wanted to show that SLI can scale very easily.

Sure Dell will sell some, but it's really a validation of the SLI technology that they've embraced. Now if they can only get over their Intel only partnership and use some decent CPU's. :D

I think it's very exciting to know that SLI can scale so well to four GPU's, and I expect next year they'll show it with even more.

The irony is that when you move to more than two GPUs, two rendering methods loose the ability to scale well, that's SFR (split frame rendering, both ATI and nVIDIA have this) and SuperTiling (ATI's method when no other profile exists and also worthless in real world benchmarks, why even have it?) The only method that benefits is AFR (alternate frame rendering, both ATI and nVIDIA have this and both shine when a profile exists that utilizes this for a game) where you can have more frames rendered in advance with more cards. So we'll have to see, but it's possible that ATI could also scale up, but outside of games that have profiles that use AFR, everything else will be on a deminishing scale (and possibly even have a detrimental impact due to the overhead to manage the multiple GPUs when SFR or SuperTiling is used).

Super Tiling can scale beyond two GPUs - http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22074
We wrote once about military systems using dozens of R300 cards to simulate a plane using some insane levels of FSAA. If I remember correctly, they used 34 Radeon cards based on the R300 chip and that is the maximum number of chips used for rendering that we know of.

I thought this was quite interesting. Yes I know it's from the Inq but it's interviews with a few NV partners.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28865

Rahul Sood, CTO of VoodooPC had the following answers to our questions

What was your initial reaction to the announcement?
"I was taken aback when I learned about the Quad SLI announcement through the media rather than our partner."

Now that some time has passed, has your opinion changed?
"I hold Dell in high regard, however, throwing Quad SLI at an Intel based gaming system is much like putting lipstick on a pig."
crazylaugh.gif

I don't know what the big fuss is for. In the end, it only run on two LCD at 2560x1600.

ATI can do 4 LCD at 2560x1600

Happy Hopping said:
I don't know what the big fuss is for. In the end, it only run on two LCD at 2560x1600.

Anyone who buys a XL or XT to run 4 lcd's should be shot. Nvidia owns Dell all our workstations here have dual displays or more even up to 40 lcd's across 4 machines. Matrox or Nvidia are what power the dells and the quadro line or firegl I take it would be best suited for that purpose.

Happy Hopping: said:

That's not what this system was designed to do at all, not in the remotest sense. What nVidia and Dell demonstrated was stretching the limits on today's GPU technology in a relatively compact and manageable package, which can be manufactured at reasonable numbers for the very few who can afford the luxury. This technology has absolutely nothing to do with maximum WQXGA display support. If that's what you're looking for, get a 'cheap' Matrox Parhelia.

Back