NVIDIA AI Fixing Grainy Pictures

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jul 10, 2018 at 9:09 AM.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

While some of us have some incredibly complex smartphones that take beautiful pictures, there are still those times when lighting causes us to get less than favorable shots. While this tech is not available to us yet, and likely will not be for a while, the folks at Aalto University, MIT, and NVIDIA have been working on a solution to getting those photos touched up without even having to see "clean" ones for comparison. That said, the technology was trained by looking only at corrupted photographs, which is a bit wild when you think about it. While everyone loves a great photo, these techniques are also looking to be used in the medical field, but of course in those instances it has to be exactly right.

Check out the video.

“There are several real-world situations where obtaining clean training data is difficult: low-light photography (e.g., astronomical imaging), physically-based rendering, and magnetic resonance imaging,” the team said. “Our proof-of-concept demonstrations point the way to significant potential benefits in these applications by removing the need for potentially strenuous collection of clean data. Of course, there is no free lunch – we cannot learn to pick up features that are not there in the input data – but this applies equally to training with clean targets.”

2. andrewaggb

andrewaggb Limp Gawd

Some of those are so impressive It's hard to believe. I wonder if the results are typical or cherry picked and how much training is required - would it only work in a cloud scenario or could your phone do it.

3. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

Of course they're cherry picked, what do you think? Promo results are always cherry picked no matter the subject matter. The question is how good the average result is. Which nobody will know until they release the technology. Oh, it is nvidia they won't release it to the public.

4. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

Although most of those are showing impressive results. The overall is impressive but I suspect it will be far from professional quality photos. Too much interpretation is needed to fill in the removed noise and add in the correct color and sharpness.

5. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

WOOHOO !!!

thanks to nvidia, we will finally see the real bigfoot and all those streetlights !!

nessie.. here we come

6. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

The MRI one will never happen, they will never allow "best guess AI data back fill" into medical data. Sure the picture looks better and more pleasing, but it's not necessarily accurate after that AI interpretation.

trandoanhung1991 and scojer like this.
  7. xp3nd4bl3

xp3nd4bl3 2[H]4U

I don't think they'd suggest using a corrected image in lieu of the noisy source, but having access to both could certainly be beneficial.

8. Tak Ne

Tak Ne [H]ard|Gawd

Looks to me like the headline should be "Nvidia AI learns to compensate for Nvidia's noise-adding algorithm" :D

clockdogg likes this.
  9. Rahh

Rahh [H]ard|Gawd

I keep seeing Nvidia headlines similar to this which other software already have accomplished. Kudos to them though for creating competition but the fact their software\hardware can accomplish this is nothing new.

clockdogg likes this.
  10. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

I can see this being abused to remove water marks from pictures taken by the actual author of said content.

Conman likes this.
  11. andrewaggb

andrewaggb Limp Gawd

I had wondered about that as well.

12. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Shrug .... I haven't seen grainy photos since 2005

13. brucethemoose

brucethemoose Limp Gawd

I wish Nvidia would release the source (or at least the compiled versions) of all these demos they do. I'd love to try them out myself.

14. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Yeah, that's definitely way better than traditional denoise filters, which typically just amount to a light blur.

They are almost too good to be true...

15. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Try taking pictures in very low light. Concert photography, etc. Granted, the latest very high end DSLR's have remarkably good low noise performance at high ISO, but they are also ridiculously expensive. Even a mid range pro-sumer DSLR, not to mention a cellphone camera is either going to have motion blur or high ISO noise when it gets darker.

Flogger23m likes this.
  16. brucethemoose

brucethemoose Limp Gawd

Yeah, those demo results are really good, but sharpening after using a good "traditional" denoiser isn't too bad.

Waifu2X is also a good stand-alone denoiser, but it's neural-net based like this Nvidia demo.

http://waifu2x.udp.jp

17. Hallucinator

Hallucinator Limp Gawd

Photoshoppers' wet dream just came true....

18. Retronym

Retronym Something big is coming.

19. raz-0

raz-0 [H]ardness Supreme

Some of the results are also a dumpster fire of oversmoothing. About the only thing I can say about both the good and bad examples is that they appear to largely avoid inducing sharpening artifacts. Which is a plus.

20. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Pretty cool but I wonder has this AI contacted Ted Turner to further his touch up projects?

21. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

The corrupted example was pretty impressive. So those with no additional data huh? Nice.

22. Ski

Ski Gawd

You guys should check out V-Ray's latest engine update with Nvidia's denoiser incorporated inside it. It's very excited for for the cgi and animation industry.

23. Decibel

Decibel 2[H]4U

24. Luke Wells

Luke Wells n00bie

CSI Miami is becoming a reality!

"Computer..... Enhance resolution."

"Well, I guess we ... resolved this case.... " [puts on sunglasses]

[Cue the music]

25. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

Then you haven't taken a photo with a smart phone at night ever.

26. jpm100

jpm100 [H]ardness Supreme

All you nay sayers about Sci-Fi "Zoom & Enhance", take that!

27. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

This could really help Decker for the next BR movie.

28. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

anything from an iphone 6 and up have excellent photos. The 5 still takes cheese a lot at distance.

Tags: