Nvidia 980/970 Availability Thread

You should not need to use a tool of any kind to remove a sticker that must be removed before use. Its a moot point now that MSI are shipping without the sticker.

I found best way to remove box cutter and heat gun. Took razor and got under the sticker lifted up and use heat gun to peel off. Came off easily.

Yeah they are using less glue now . Supposedly

Every Sunday morning, my local Frys has 970 and 980 in stock. Atleast 4 of each. Had them this morning.

I used a heat gun to remove the sticker. But you can use a hair dryer if you don't have the balls or know how to use a heat gun on low. Variable heat gun lol . All you do is fan the area . Amateur move would be yanking the sticker off . A hair dryer won't burn anything stop making execuses

First of all this:

You should not need to use a tool of any kind to remove a sticker that must be removed before use. Its a moot point now that MSI are shipping without the sticker.

Second get off your high horse, people don't want to fuck around with their $360 or $580 purchase and that's totally understandable. Don't mean they're less than you.

Last edited:
First of all this:

Second get off your high horse, people don't want to fuck around with their $360 or $580 purchase and that's totally understandable. Don't mean they're less than you.

Yeah that's why Msi is changing the glue.

I am more concerned with other retailers viewing this and thinking they should jump in on that action.

Even though MicroCenter can't keep the various GTX 970s in stock, they are actually lowering (not raising) prices on most of them - the pair of EVGA GTX 970s (both non-ACX and ACX 2.0) are now $359.99 - the ACX 2.0 version was $409.99 - while the MSI GTX 970 Gaming also dropped - to $339.99 (from $349.99 - they can't keep it in stock, either). I can only hope that MicroCenter has daily deliveries.

I bought my MSI 970 through one of the local dealers I have used in the past, mine came with a sticker but it was a completely different sticker compared to what i have seen:

1. It was clear plastic rather than cloudy looking
2. More importantly, the sticker had a hole around the center of the fan, so it was only barely sticking on the fan blades and the fan frame, and while the glue was rather sticky, it didn't take a whole lot of effort to take it off (though I was still extremely careful with it), didn't need a whole lot of force to take it off beyond lifting the sticker up.

So I assume they had changed the sticker on the fans since launch.

I'll post a picture of it when I get back home

Thanks lucidrenegade for letting us know that the video cards are showing up on Newegg. I managed to get the EVGA 04G-2982-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked even though it was pricey but at least I got it before it went out of stock again. Hard to get this but I'm happy I did!

For those of you living in CA I highly recommend Directron. I know people seem to have mixed experiences here but I personally think not having to pay the ridiculous 9.25% tax is worth the relatively miniscule risk.

My experience was totally fine -- ordered cards Friday, called in to verify identity, cards showed up at doorstep on Monday without a scratch.

As an added bonus Nowinstock does not track Directron, so less competition with guys and their moms with no lives. ;)

For those of you living in CA I highly recommend Directron. I know people seem to have mixed experiences here but I personally think not having to pay the ridiculous 9.25% tax is worth the relatively miniscule risk.

My experience was totally fine -- ordered cards Friday, called in to verify identity, cards showed up at doorstep on Monday without a scratch.

As an added bonus Nowinstock does not track Directron, so less competition with guys and their moms with no lives. ;)

I had the exact opposite experience with directron customer service before i ordered my 2x 980s from newegg. I called up directron interested in the 10 percent off deal and got ahold of a rude lady sounded like a foreigner , on top of that a baby crying in the background. No customer service or phone etiquette .. phone got disconnected and i called back to talk to a supervisor and the dude transfers me back to the same rude lady with the baby still crying in the background. She even started yelling at someone while i was on the phone about to hand over my credit card number. Anyway i call back after being disconnected and the lady is arguing with me that i hung up the phone and im like thinking to myself these people wont be getting my 1k dollars of my money screw that. I tell the ghetto phone rep with the baby crying in the background that i am hanging up now goodbye and she just kept going . Wow i cant imagine if someone tried to dispute a refund from these people or even going through some sort of exchange process

But you didn't lose anything except for maybe some time in the end right?

There are enough stories about Directron's customer service (or lack thereof) on [H], so people have been fairly warned. For me $120 in savings was just too much of a deal to pass on, so I took a gamble, and it paid off.

I had a chance to nab the ASUS Strix 970 today on Amazon when there were 9 in stock but held off because I want the Assassin's Creed: Unity bundle to be included (I think that bundle starts up in early November)

I had a chance to nab the ASUS Strix 970 today on Amazon when there were 9 in stock but held off because I want the Assassin's Creed: Unity bundle to be included (I think that bundle starts up in early November)

Have source on this?

Have source on this?

just an educated guess based on the last 2 AC games being bundled with Nvidia cards...plus as the first true next-gen title + Nvidia Gameworks technology I would assume Nvidia would want this as a showcase title...or maybe Far Cry 4?...hopefully both? :D

just an educated guess based on the last 2 AC games being bundled with Nvidia cards...plus as the first true next-gen title + Nvidia Gameworks technology I would assume Nvidia would want this as a showcase title...or maybe Far Cry 4?...hopefully both? :D

Nvidia usually bundles games to push sales. They aren't having trouble selling these cards so this would be interesting

I had a similar experience with Directron. Then again I do hear other people's experience and it isn't so flawless. My experience with Tigerdirect this time around for the 980 was probably the worse shopping experience in my whole life..

With Directron I got no tax, 10% first time customer, 5% cash back.

Have source on this?

Microcenter may have already accidentally leaked the new bundle. They briefly mentioned a free ubisoft game with GTX 970/980 cards on their website and was removed shortly.

It's mentioned on the previous page of this thread.

The terms and conditions for the existing Borderlands bundle state the codes are set to expire Oct 31st.

Microcenter may have already accidentally leaked the new bundle. They briefly mentioned a free ubisoft game with GTX 970/980 cards on their website and was removed shortly

I wonder if Nvidia will take a page out of AMD's playbook and give users a choice between upcoming Ubisoft titles- The Crew, Far Cry 4 and AC: Unity...that'll be pretty cool

Unbelievably, the GIGABYTE GV-N980G1 GAMING-4GD card has been available all morning on NewEgg. Of course, ten minutes after I post this, it will be Out of Stock.

Unfortunately, I now have to hold off on purchasing it, partially because I took advantage of a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB one day deal.

Unbelievably, the GIGABYTE GV-N980G1 GAMING-4GD card has been available all morning on NewEgg. Of course, ten minutes after I post this, it will be Out of Stock.

Unfortunately, I now have to hold off on purchasing it, partially because I took advantage of a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB one day deal.

There's a Gigabyte card available on Amazon but I'm not sure if it's the one you're looking for.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Should I have gotten a free game with my Gigabyte G1 GTX 980? I ordered it from Newegg but never received anything...

I'm not sure. I thought maybe you registered the video card with Nvidia and got a free game or something like that.

I'm not sure. I thought maybe you registered the video card with Nvidia and got a free game or something like that.

You never "register the card with Nvidia". Looks like TD jumped the gun on the promo, the have no information in the description regarding the promo, and the link card is for in store purchase only.

Tigerdirect listings now showing a bundle with your choice of AC:Unity, Farcry 4 or The Crew.

nice...the Borderlands Pre-Sequel promo ends today so I'm sure we'll be seeing this new bundle pop up everywhere soon...too bad they are not offering 2 free games...either way it's a great deal on some sure fire holiday hits

You should be provided a code, either via email or a scratch card. You then redeem this code with Nvidia. AMD promotions work the same way.

But keep in mind while Nvidia (or AMD) are the ones offering these promotions they are still only with participating partners (board partner and seller). Not all sellers for example may be a participant, so you'd need to be specific that the listing actually mentions any offer.

I think I've settled on the MSI Gaming GTX 970 over Asus Strix and Gigabyte G1. Now I just need for them to be in stock on Amazon.

I think I've settled on the MSI Gaming GTX 970 over Asus Strix and Gigabyte G1. Now I just need for them to be in stock on Amazon.

These have never been in stock on Amazon, any they have mailed out were to people who pre-ordered. Place an order for the card and wait it out if you haven't already.

why are the MSI and Gigabyte 970 cards never in stock at Amazon but show up more often at Newegg?

Back