Nvidia 980/970 Availability Thread

why are the MSI and Gigabyte 970 cards never in stock at Amazon but show up more often at Newegg?

Amazon lets people order the cards before they have stock. So people order cards like the MSI and Amazon just ships cards to people who already placed orders

Neeegg doesn't let people order the cards until they have available stock. So if Newegg gets 100 cards, they let people order until they sell 100 cards then mark the item as out of stock again.

You never "register the card with Nvidia". Looks like TD jumped the gun on the promo, the have no information in the description regarding the promo, and the link card is for in store purchase only.

Looks like Tiger did leak a future NV promo too early. I don't see newegg or amazon with listings of free games with select geforce cards. Oh well, hopefully official news pops up soon.

why are the MSI and Gigabyte 970 cards never in stock at Amazon but show up more often at Newegg?

Besides the preorder ability already mentioned, Amazon is also 100x bigger, thus more eyeballs on the items there.

I wonder if Nvidia will take a page out of AMD's playbook and give users a choice between upcoming Ubisoft titles- The Crew, Far Cry 4 and AC: Unity...that'll be pretty cool

A month and a half after launch and people are still falling over each other to get these cards, constantly going OOS due to demand.

Yeah, somehow I don't think Nvidia really needs to take any pages out of "AMD's playbook", free games or otherwise.

the only thing AMD does consistently better then Nvidia is their gaming bundles

Maybe cause they need something to boost their 290 sales heh.

Anyway looks like I'll have to do the preorder thing off Amazon. Anyone else done that? If so how long is the time between shipments usually?

I'm also not ordering until the Nvidia Ubisoft bundle goes live...I plan on getting AC: Unity and possibly Far Cry 4 so the bundle will help offset the price of a game I already plan on buying

I'm also not ordering until the Nvidia Ubisoft bundle goes live...I plan on getting AC: Unity and possibly Far Cry 4 so the bundle will help offset the price of a game I already plan on buying

Yup same here. I'm hoping they give away all three games...lol, I know, wishful thinking. But if not, at least let us select two of the three games....that would be epic! Last year NV gave away three games (splinter cell, batman, AC4). And AMD has done a few triple game bundle deals. So lets hope NV can pull something epic this year!

Since Tiger leaked it yesterday. I'm thinking the official announcement should be coming very soon.

Yup same here. I'm hoping they give away all three games...lol, I know, wishful thinking. But if not, at least let us select two of the three games....that would be epic! Last year NV gave away three games (splinter cell, batman, AC4). And AMD has done a few triple game bundle deals. So lets hope NV can pull something epic this year!

Since Tiger leaked it yesterday. I'm thinking the official announcement should be coming very soon.

the TigerDirect leak showed it as a 'choose your game' bundle...meaning no epic 3 game bundle but rather you only get to pick 1...oh well it's still a good deal because people will sell the bundle codes in the FS section for a decent price

the TigerDirect leak showed it as a 'choose your game' bundle...meaning no epic 3 game bundle but rather you only get to pick 1...oh well it's still a good deal because people will sell the bundle codes in the FS section for a decent price

Yeah I saw the "choose" part...oh well, I can only wish...lol

Theres still a chance you get to choose 2 out of 3 though. That would be an epic win, since I'm going 2 way SLI. That means 4 game codes for epic discount!!

Question: Has there ever been a stock shortage like this in the history of either nVidia or ATi/AMD releases? 6 weeks after launch and the cards are still out of stock everywhere, even the somewhat overpriced 980.

Question: Has there ever been a stock shortage like this in the history of either nVidia or ATi/AMD releases? 6 weeks after launch and the cards are still out of stock everywhere, even the somewhat overpriced 980.

I remember 680 had shortages when they first came out. Even 2+ months after release they had issues keeping them on shelves. The 780s didn't have much of an issue though. I think most of the supply issues were gone by the 1st month of release.

According to NowInStock, the GIGABYTE GV-N980G1 GAMING-4GD card has been in stock at NewEgg since October 28th. Usually, it has been in stock for 20-30 minutes at a time.

Fry's seems to have restocked and is carrying more brands now. The one in Manhattan Beach had the evga 980 suoerclocked 2.0 and the msi gaming 980 and 970. Also they carry the Asus 970 and 980 strix but only the city of industry one had them at the time I was checking

It think it's pretty common from my short memory. ATI 5800 series seemed worse then this. The AMD R9 2xx release seemed like the price hikes were worse

I'm pretty sure the first month after every release the stock situation was brutal, but 6 weeks after launch, and stock is just as bad as launch day, with cards typically gone within 30 minutes of restocking. That I don't remember seeing, or maybe my memory is failing me.

The Gaming G1 is advertised as having binned chips (the "Gauntlet sorting") while the OC version is not. I assume if they do bin than the lesser chips have to end up somewhere. Which on a side this is my issue with companies that do bin, it's a plus if you're buying the binned versions but what if you're not?

Also the OC version has no backplate. I'm not sure if the rest of the board or bios (eg. power limit) may be different or not.

The shroud might be a different material as well. Although I'm not sure about this as I haven't looked in the Gigabyte cards as much.

The Gaming G1 is advertised as having binned chips (the "Gauntlet sorting") while the OC version is not. I assume if they do bin than the lesser chips have to end up somewhere. Which on a side this is my issue with companies that do bin, it's a plus if you're buying the binned versions but what if you're not?

Also the OC version has no backplate. I'm not sure if the rest of the board or bios (eg. power limit) may be different or not.

The shroud might be a different material as well. Although I'm not sure about this as I haven't looked in the Gigabyte cards as much.

Also the OC version only comes with 2 heat pipes, versus the 4 heat pipes on the G1 version.

The OC version uses a plastic fan shroud, whereas the G1 Gaming uses metal.

I'm pretty sure the first month after every release the stock situation was brutal, but 6 weeks after launch, and stock is just as bad as launch day, with cards typically gone within 30 minutes of restocking. That I don't remember seeing, or maybe my memory is failing me.

yeah - I can't remember seeing demand with this intensity maybe ever either... maybe partially due to all the coil whine returns? Well.. I remember the 8800GTX launch was a big one but I got one right away from good ol zipzoomfly and didn't try for a second one for 4 months so I can't remember how well they were stocked right after launch..

I remember 680 had shortages when they first came out. Even 2+ months after release they had issues keeping them on shelves. The 780s didn't have much of an issue though. I think most of the supply issues were gone by the 1st month of release.

yeah - I kind of remember this.. I had trouble tracking down a 680gt but found one at Fry's finally... that was a popular card!

So according to Amazon the Asus Strix 970 is their #1 seller right now.

Apparently the long obsolete and useless 8400 GS is their #5 best seller, ahead of EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte's offerings of the 970. That is just plain sad.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Apparently the long obsolete and useless 8400 GS is their #5 best seller, ahead of EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte's offerings of the 970. That is just plain sad.

that's because the ASUS is the one 970 that's most often in stock

The EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0 is #2. The 8400 GS is a half-height, single slot 1GB DDR3 card for $32. It has a market albeit niche.

Only the ACX cooler though, the blower style is still behind at #6. And I was more lamenting/shocked that the completely useless 8400 GS is #5 on the list.

If you really need a half height card just get this GT 610. 8400 GS is now 7 years old for crying out loud, even if you gave it to me for free I'd probably just toss it (or flip for profit on Amazon lol).

Last edited:
I was more lamenting that the completely useless 8400 GS is #5 on the list.

For crying out loud if you really need a half height card just get this GT 610.

The 8400 GS is still $12 cheaper. I think this is what is known as scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I am more surprised that its still available to buy.

so the EVGA blower style 970 is the better buy versus the ACX one due to the heat pipe issue?...I'm tired of waiting for the Gigabyte or MSI 970 cards to come in stock...how does the EVGA blower style card compare to them?

so the EVGA blower style 970 is the better buy versus the ACX one due to the heat pipe issue?...I'm tired of waiting for the Gigabyte or MSI 970 cards to come in stock...how does the EVGA blower style card compare to them?

There is no "issue". Its the same cooler that was used on the 760. The ACX will be quieter at idle and under load than the blower. Buy a blower if your case ventilation is not sufficient.

The 8400 GS is still $12 cheaper. I think this is what is known as scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I am more surprised that its still available to buy.

You can get a GT 610 for $39.75 which closes the gap even more. And if you really must be that cheap this GT 210 would still be a "better" buy.

I get it's scraping bottom of the barrel but for $8 or even $4? Really? Then again if someone's doing a "penny pincher build" I suppose every $0.01 counts...

See this thread and our very own [H} thread.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about coil whine than fan noise, since it's a pervasive problem on the 970 across all brands.

Last edited:
It is not pervasive. Please stop spreading misinformation.

A fair number of people have reported coil whine across all brands, including a lot of H members that have gone through multiple cards from different vendors. While it may not happen to every card, it does seem to be a real issue. Coil whine isn't exactly a new thing either, people have been complaining about it for years with various GPUs.

Last edited:
It is not pervasive. Please stop spreading misinformation.

It is relatively common with the 970's.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-970-Coil-Whine-Concerns

The thing with graphics cards is the people who buy them are so busy justifying their purchases and blindly supporting one brand or the other that they accept problems. They'll defend them forever.

If this was anything else it would end up with some stupid hashtag name like #WhineGate. Brand loyalty leads to a kind of blindness.

A fair number of people have reported coil whine across all brands, including a lot of H members that have gone through multiple cards from different vendors. While it may not happen to every card, it does seem to be a real issue. Coil whine isn't exactly a new thing either, people have been complaining about it for years with various GPUs.

Its difficult to say as manufacturers are not forthcoming with actual numbers although MSI says "small number". Is that 5%? 10%? It is fair to say that it hits every manufacturer and seems to be more apparent in the 970 than the 980. Many also report that it goes away after a while although some report that it appears after a while too. There are many variables to it but I think its safe to say there is something slightly different about the power requirements of the 970 that make it prone to more coil whine.

Its difficult to say as manufacturers are not forthcoming with actual numbers although MSI says "small number". Is that 5%? 10%? It is fair to say that it hits every manufacturer and seems to be more apparent in the 970 than the 980. Many also report that it goes away after a while although some report that it appears after a while too. There are many variables to it but I think its safe to say there is something slightly different about the power requirements of the 970 that make it prone to more coil whine.

Manufacturers don't want to be forthcoming about something like this since a lot of people simply won't notice. I know at least one person who has coil whine I can hear plain as day and it is inaudible to them. They don't want to encourage people to look for problems they may not have otherwise noticed on their own.

MSI's upcoming 970 Gold edition looks to be a killer option as it looks like it does indeed have a full copper Twin Frozr heatsink :) Definitely will sell well being a 970 but I really want to see that cooler compared to the standard one :)

Back