Nvidia 980/970 Availability Thread

I kind of waffled a bit before going with the EVGA GTX 980 on Amazon at 12:30. It said 2-5 weeks. Does Amazon often get stock refreshed in the morning?

That MSI Gaming GTX 970 looks impressive. The cooler, while its not a blower style, is slightly smaller than 2 slots. making it perfect for sli.

I kind of waffled a bit before going with the EVGA GTX 980 on Amazon at 12:30. It said 2-5 weeks. Does Amazon often get stock refreshed in the morning?

No one really knows if they have more than the initial batch or not. Newegg still has the EVGA 980 SC in stock, if you are willing to spend the extra $20.

The search is not working yet. If you just go to the main video cards page you will see the 970s and 980s listed in the Featured Items section. They're slowly trickling in. EVGA 970 ACX just appeared...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487066

I see it now, I think ill just stick with my EVGA purchase though. I went with the superclocked blower and ACX combo from EVGA. Same price with shipping if i go to newegg, I had a good experience with EVGA before.

I was going for the MSI 970s... but screw it. They messed around too long releasing this thing today. I'll wait for the rebates and maybe free borderlands. You gotta strike while the iron is hot.

No one really knows if they have more than the initial batch or not. Newegg still has the EVGA 980 SC in stock, if you are willing to spend the extra $20.

I had 1 day prime, but I guess that it's a bit of a fool's bargain to hope on that when it might not even be in stock for awhile. I decided to jump on the Newegg SC card and took advantage of ShopRunner. Thanks!

Tigerdirect has evga 980 stock cards in stock

Won't let me go to the product page to link here, but a simple search for 980 gtx should bring it up, and then you can add it to the cart

Newegg with shoprunner for me too on the 980 SC.

Now just looking for a water block!

Welp, 2x980 ordered

NRdb.jpg

I originally intended to go 970 SLI but the lack of any good blower-style coolers pushed me to the 980. That, and the Titan style cooler is really nice and worth some of the premium I think. Will be gaming at 4K on a 55" TV so it's not like the extra performance will go to waste.

I know- this is super frustrating though- I want to see what some of the other cards are like before I let that amazon order actually ship.

I don't blame you - however, even "standard" GTX980 and 970 are appealing as they are (more so GTX970 in my case, due entirely to the power sippage it has for its performance). An additional incentive is that GTX760 gets an MSRP slicing (all the way down to $219USD), while everything above it (except TITAN) gets their chop called. (No - Kyle did NOT stutter; GTX780Ti/780/770 are ALL going away as of Friday.)

The biggest game-changer for non-enthusiasts is Dynamic Scaling Resolution; it lets you basically overdrive your display. Why it's huge-to-monstrous - it works in ALL your existing games; developers need do nothing. What is just as important is that while it DOES support SLI (and surround), it requires neither. (The same applies to G-SYNC tag-teamed with DSR - it's an addition, not an "instead-of".)

I pointed out that GTX970 has a TDP of 165 watts - that is GTX660 turf. If you have a GTX660, a GTX970 - even an overcranked one such as the EVGA GTX970 SC ACX - requires no more power.

I have one - and only one - quibble with the various reference GTX970s so far; none are using the same cooler as the GTX770 reference design (which is shared with the other GPUs that had their chop called, as well as the GTX980). If anything, the "blower cooler" that EVGA went with looks uglier by comparison (they chose the blower cooler from the GTX6xx - including the earlier-mentioned GTX660 - as opposed to the GTX7xx/Titan reference cooler). I took a look at the reference design that EVGA chose - and outright groaned in disgust. Geeze, EVGA - did you have THAT much in terms of inventory of that bugly cooler? (It's why I'm looking instead at the ACX design, despite the non-reference cooler - despite my CORRECTLY labeling it a quibble, there is only so much bugly I will put up with.)

well amazon updated my arrival date to tuesday (paid for overnight) guess that's better than october

Took the plunge and ordered an EVGA 980 GTX at TigerDirect - No sales tax in CA!

Off goes my ASUS Direct CU II 290X for sale.

I am wondering if Tiger will have them in store tomorrow... hrmm

i want to know when a 970M will be out and available in an MSI Ghost laptop.... I need one of these bad.

Since theres no titan coolers for 970 would it be a good idea to run the twin fan versions? or would my case get too hot

Welp, 2x980 ordered

NRdb.jpg

I originally intended to go 970 SLI but the lack of any good blower-style coolers pushed me to the 980. That, and the Titan style cooler is really nice and worth some of the premium I think. Will be gaming at 4K on a 55" TV so it's not like the extra performance will go to waste.

I noticed that - not ONE GTX970 chose the Titan/GTX7xx reference cooler. Instead, they ALL went with the older GTX6xx reference cooler. I know it's a 165W TDP part, nVidia AIBs - but was there NO consideration in terms of case appeal? (Besides, there ARE all those GTX7xx coolers that you had in inventory - GTX77x/78x all had their chop called.)

That is why I am instead looking at non-reference designs (even though I did term that lack of cooler options as technically a quibble) - there IS only so much bugly I will inflict on myself.

I wonder if they are waiting until later this morning to release more cards?

I thought about it and cancelled my 970, I don't plan on running SLI and for $200 more the 980 seems like it might be a better investment, but I will wait till some 970 reviews come in

Since theres no titan coolers for 970 would it be a good idea to run the twin fan versions? or would my case get too hot

It shouldn't, unless your case airflow biteth.

For the record, GTX970 has a 165W TDP - basically, GTX660 turf. The common reference cooler design comes from the GTX660/660Ti as well (which is why I called that cooler decision a quibble). The reference-cooler design fits the TDP; technically, the reference cooler for GTX77x/Titan/GTX980 would be overkill. My complaint with the (GTX66x cooler) design is that it is bugly - the aesthetics literally make me cringe. What makes it worse (in my opinion) is the reality that GTX770/780/780Ti are all going away combined with nVidia itself using the GTX7xx/Titan cooler with the "review" GTX970s they are sending to folks like Brent and Kyle.

Still, I gotta call it like I see it; the cooler may do the job, but does it HAVE to look so bugly doing it?

I bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 3 hours ago online here in Denmark. And they are still in stock - as are the Asus GTX 980. :D

i overslept here in the east cost and woke up at 6am (3am est)

I freaked out when I checked amazon and they were all sold out besides a gigabyte brand.

i checked newegg and found evga reference so I bought 2 and just as soon as my order got confirmed, they are sold out. I think I bought the last 2 from newegg :D

Nice, so wondering how fast they are selling out or is stock still limited?

Newegg Business is offering instant $50.00 discount off any order of $550.00 or more, sitewide. :eek:

Coupon Code: B2BMLR55

52jqci.png

FYI- The "Titan" blower coolers are heatpipes not vapor chambers on the GTX980/970.
Still seems to do a solid job though.

Add me to the list of people who'd like to see a 970 with the blower style reference cooler.

FYI- The "Titan" blower coolers are heatpipes not vapor chambers on the GTX980/970.
Still seems to do a solid job though.

The issue is aesthetics - which I specifically pointed out in the GTX970's case.

If you look at the TDP of the two cards, notice that it is, literally NO different (GTX980 reference v. GTX970 reference) - neither has a TDP that cracks 200 watts, even in overclocked trim.

The GTX77x reference cooler looks better than the GTX66x blower cooler that all too many chose for a reference design. The very fact that nVidia DID use the GTX77x style of cooler on the GTX970 they showed at Media Day merely underscored that aesthetical difference. (One can only hope that nVidia WILL do an own-brand GTX970 - GTX77x cooler and all - for those looking for that option.)

Back