Nvidia 980/970 Availability Thread

I ended up ordering a GTX980SC (EVGA) from the Amazon link, says it will ship in October.... Now I just gotta be patient...

I cancelled my ACX order as well. I rather have the reference card. NV rep from another forum says some stores will go live with inventory @ midnight

Which models would be based on the reference design by evga? the FTW edition?

Code:
<div class="a-row">
    <form method="post" action="https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/handle-buy-box/ref=oh_cust_rec_reorder_aui">
        <input type="hidden" name="ASIN" value="B00NI64A7C">
        <input type="hidden" name="offerListingID" value="j%2BWiUrOxHE6TCZ3oQhdPZ%2F70p1B1dZowsnt106NVE5G8WEgVEjMYFhY2%2FHCaI%2FkiWtyIHshLgC7E9hXBgFuRG9Y7y%2BJ3cx2M4q7hEJ3%2FSTCmegskOf5owQ%3D%3D">
        <div class="a-row a-spacing-small">
            <span class="a-button a-button-span9 a-button-primary a-button-icon" role="button"><span class="a-button-inner"><i class="a-icon a-icon-cart"></i><input class="a-button-input" type="submit"><span class="a-button-text" aria-hidden="true">
            Add to Cart
            </span></span></span>
        </div>
    </form>
</div>
Copy the above into a blank .html file
Go to the page, click submit
Reload page
Hit continue to add the EVGA 970 ACX SC to your cart for $339.99

Enjoy :)

worked as advertised thanks!

now let's see if it ships!

Which models would be based on the reference design by evga? the FTW edition?

It looks like there aren't any reference 970 designs. The FTW edition is an ACX cooler as well. It looks like only the 980 gets the Titan Blower this time around...

Asus has terrible warranty service. Damn near every video card I have purchased dies in less then two years so I'd rather go with EVGA.

how do they usually die? i'm still rocking a gtx 460 from galaxy (yea does anyone even know that brand?) from 2011 and it has never had any problems. though I haven't really tried overclocking.

how do they usually die? i'm still rocking a gtx 460 from galaxy (yea does anyone even know that brand?) from 2011 and it has never had any problems. though I haven't really tried overclocking.

Artifacts and crashing in games with multiple PSUs. Heat temps are never a problem, the cards just die.

I have a GTX 460 as a backup. It was originally mine since they first came out. I gave it to a friend when I upgraded, they beat on it for a while and gave it back to me a few months ago (bought a laptop and didn't want their desktop any longer). Second owner even had the card in a small $30 case with only one exhaust fan!

It looks like there aren't any reference 970 designs. The FTW edition is an ACX cooler as well. It looks like only the 980 gets the Titan Blower this time around...

Hmm from the pictures VideoCardz posted there is a reference GTX970 though

http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2014/09/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970-3-780x620.jpg

I'm not sure if EVGA will be offering it though. They did offer the reference design with the GTX770 for a limited time, was just the standard model no SC/FTW.

One of the reviews said that the "titan blower" actually lacks the vapor chamber, which is replaced by heatpipes this time around.

So in the case that there are no reference blower 970s, what would be the best cooler for an SLI setup?

Twin FRZR?
ACX?
Direct CU II?

Hmm from the pictures VideoCardz posted there is a reference GTX970 though

http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2014/09/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970-3-780x620.jpg

This just looks like an nVidia press sample though... no brand logos on it.

One of the reviews said that the "titan blower" actually lacks the vapor chamber, which is replaced by heatpipes this time around.

While that might be true, most reviews also point to good noise/temps on the reference design and mention that the reference design has great build quality. I would still rather go with the reference blower.

So in the case that there are no reference blower 970s, what would be the best cooler for an SLI setup?

Twin FRZR?
ACX?
Direct CU II?

I can't answer that directly but I can say that my R9 280s with the twin frozr overclock like crazy in crossfire with no noise. Granted, it's a spacious case.

this is [H] rip off that cooler and put some LN2 on that biach! or at least some water!

Seems like the "new" ACX cooler on the 970 is the same as the one on the GTX 760 but with partially anodized heatpipes, different shroud, and maybe different fans.

However despite the slightly larger die size of GM204 vs GK104 the problem still persists where only 2 of the 3 direct contact heatpipes make contact with the die (ok it slightly catches the edge now...), one of which is shared with the VRMs.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_970_SC_ACX_Cooler/4.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_760_SC_ACX_Cooler/5.html

There's also no coverage for the VRAMs (although whether or not that's necessary is another matter).

Maybe the ACX on the 980 will use the design carry over from the 770/780/780ti instead?

Twin FRZR?
ACX?
Direct CU II?

MSI will supposedly actually have reference style blowers (not the Titan style one but similar to this - http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-P...F8&qid=1411109237&sr=1-4&keywords=msi+gtx+770). Not sure when these will show up though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Seems like the "new" ACX cooler on the 970 is the same as the one on the GTX 760 but with partially anodized heatpipes, different shroud, and maybe different fans.

However despite the slightly larger die size of GM204 vs GK104 the problem still persists where only 2 of the 3 direct contact heatpipes make contact with the die (ok it slightly catches the edge now...), one of which is shared with the VRMs.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_970_SC_ACX_Cooler/4.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_760_SC_ACX_Cooler/5.html

There's also no coverage for the VRAMs (although whether or not that's necessary is another matter).

Maybe the ACX on the 980 will use the design carry over from the 770/780/780ti instead?

I may have to go with MSI then....as much as I hate to leave EVGA, I've heard good things about MSI's support, and I know they make solid stuff.

edit: it's funny seeing a bunch of people cross post here and on OCN right now.

I may have to go with MSI then....as much as I hate to leave EVGA, I've heard good things about MSI's support, and I know they make solid stuff.

I actually updated my original post so you might have missed it but original leaks had MSI also supposedly releasing a blower style similar to what they had for their GTX 770 -
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-P...F8&qid=1411109237&sr=1-4&keywords=msi+gtx+770

Not the "Titan" style blower but still a blower. Not sure when though.

EVGA and PNY also had blower style cards last time around for the 7xx as well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
GTX980.jpg

ughhh, so torn between 2 980's or 3 970's. if no blower style 970's i'm going to have to go 2 980's. previous generations the x70 cards were gimped by memory bandwidth or size, not this time. making it impossible to decide lol

I had a dodgy MSI R9 card a couple of months ago. It seemed like Newegg was going to be slow to get it swapped out, so I called MSI. They told me to expect a 2-3 week process to get the card replaced. Honestly, I'm not sure how that fares against what EVGA would do, but it seemed pretty terrible to me.

I had a dodgy MSI R9 card a couple of months ago. It seemed like Newegg was going to be slow to get it swapped out, so I called MSI. They told me to expect a 2-3 week process to get the card replaced. Honestly, I'm not sure how that fares against what EVGA would do, but it seemed pretty terrible to me.

Still beats ASUS....sad, I know. You'd be lucky to get ASUS to admit it was a card failure that wasn't your fault.

Oh, and thanks for the links, Blerple. The SC model still says 5 weeks delay, but the normal 980 link worked.

I've never bought a flagship card on launch date (let alone 3 at once). This is really exciting.

Still beats ASUS....sad, I know. You'd be lucky to get ASUS to admit it was a card failure that wasn't your fault.

Understood. I had a failed ASUS MB that was never replaced.

Heck, I recently bought an ASUS MB and a supposedly compatible Thunderbolt card. Neither included a necessary proprietary cable to make it work. If it wasn't for a kind individual that has contacts at ASUS I still wouldn't have it working.

Back