NVIDIA 8400gs 128mb Pci-E 16x VGA/DVI $14 shipped

Would work good for an extra CUDA card for BOINC projects. Collatz runs stable with my card. Had problems with SETI and GPUGrid though. GPUGrid wont finish in time and SETI always crashed on me.

Just for point of reference this card is strictly for Hulu and Youtube (with Flash 10.1) and the like, this will not play games worth anything. For the price however this thing will kick flashes ass. Nice find.

agreed.. with only 128mb of mem on a 64bit interface there won't be much space or bw for storing / moving textures... but for gpu related operations in a 2d env it will be decent..

Just for point of reference this card is strictly for Hulu and Youtube (with Flash 10.1) and the like, this will not play games worth anything. For the price however this thing will kick flashes ass. Nice find.

it should enable any old pcie system to play any media file, essentially making any old pc into a makeshift htpc... i really should have bought 2, they are perfect throw-in cards for those cheap systems i always find myself parting together.

I should have bought 2. I'm making an HTPC for myself, and I should have bought another for work to increase my folding@home PPD. :(

considering getting this for an office computer

anyone know if this card can handle dual-monitor? or perhaps tri-monitor (paired with integrated video and windows 7 prof)?

I have the 512MB version and it handles Dual monitor just fine. I run Vista Premium SP2 with no trouble anyways.

Integrated video doesn't typically work in conjunction with Cards. I used to have an old P3 that did, but most boards will disable integrated if you put a graphics card in. YMMV depending on what you got. Worth a shot though.

Edit: It's not too late to still pick them up. I just picked up 2. Maybe I will pick up a multi PCI Express board for CUDA down the road and put all 3 cards in one system. Either way, I will have a couple spares laying around.

Last edited:
It depends on the BIOS, actually. Most modern BIOSs will allow the onboard for triple monitors. YMMV

I have a card like this in my laptop. Overclock it a shit load and you can run GRID and Dirt 2 :) and NFS SHIFT on lower settings. you have to overclock the card tho lol.

Integrated video doesn't typically work in conjunction with Cards.

OH WAIT!! I was considering one of these as an upgrade (barely), to the 8200 integrated on my Asus board.

But, you just reminded me that this board has Hybrid SLI. So I can get one of these, and essentially have 8200 SLI. hmmmm.

Anyone know how SLI is affected by uneven RAM distribution?
(8400 has 128MB, and integrated 8200 is allocated 256Mb of system RAM)

thanx for the info guys.. went ahead and bit.
crossin fingers tri-monitor works on my new office machine

Mine shipped yesterday, too. Pretty fast for an ebay seller. :cool:

It's going into my new HTPC. Bought a low-profile bracket for it. Can't wait!!!

mine shipped yesterday also.. from Compton, CA.. home of many a stray bullet. ;)

Mine was delivered! Just waiting on my HTPC case to arrive (tomorrow via Fedex) and I have a fun weekend project! :D:D

mine came today. nowhere to put it though, its just a backup. the hsf is the cheapest ive ever seen. well, not a hsf really its more like a fan mount and fan.

Well, it's only 15w. It doesn't even need a fan! You could probably throw on a passive HS from a dead GPU from ebay or a generic passive HS.

ahh this will will make a good backup card while i unload my 4850. thanks op!

How would one of these stack up next to a 7800GT or a 6800GS?
For H.264 decoding...

So would this card (8400gs 128mb) be able to handle hardware decoding a 1080p h.264 video? Or would it be pretty useless?

Back