NVIDIA 8400gs 128mb Pci-E 16x VGA/DVI $14 shipped

gonna get one as a spare. unless there is faster card for cheaper anywhere?

jk..lol. its always a headache when changing video cards and not having a spare. so this will be good for my head.

Last edited:
Still no shipping notification. I'm worried. Been a week now ...

Edit: Just double-checked. Payment actually cleared one week ago, verified everything. I don't know what his deal is. Said that he usually ships two days after payment clears. I'm sending an email to him.

Still no shipping notification. I'm worried. Been a week now ...

Edit: Just double-checked. Payment actually cleared one week ago, verified everything. I don't know what his deal is. Said that he usually ships two days after payment clears. I'm sending an email to him.

He's probably busy with the sudden influx of orders from [H] ;)

has anyone tried an hdmi adapter with this card? just wondering if it is capable of passing audio over hdmi, or even video.

has anyone tried an hdmi adapter with this card? just wondering if it is capable of passing audio over hdmi, or even video.

It does do video thru an adapter,however I havn't tried audio

gonna get one as a spare. unless there is faster card for cheaper anywhere?

jk..lol. its always a headache when changing video cards and not having a spare. so this will be good for my head.

I got mine pretty fast. Something must be up. I got a non-ebay email from the seller. Check your junk mail folder.

Wow, this is super [H]ot. Thanks OP! In for 3x. Took my offer of $13.50. (Too bad theres CA sales tax, just like everything else these days)

To me, its 10x more gratifying to really squeeze more performance out of a inexpensive item vs an expensive one, even if I can afford it.

Anyone have a link to a hacked bios that will work on this card?

Just load up Rivatuner 2.24, find your max stable clocks, then use Nbitor to put those clocks into your BIOS, if you so desire.

No it won't. It's only partial supported, only the PCIe 2.0 version does full hardware acceleration. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

think you could enlighten us with your incredible knowledge instead of giving me the eye roll crim? i could be wrong, but i thought the g98 will accelerate everything. the older g86 cores lacked VC-1 and MPEG2 acceleration. either way, they both support h.264 hardware acceleration, which is what most will need anyways, correct?

i could never find anything definitive on its hardware acceleration. since its g98, its supposed to do it all... i really dont see why you would need pci2.0, i think someone (me) needs to just put this card into a 1.8ghz celeron system and see what plays and what doesnt...

I have been trying out the HW acceleration and don't seem to be having any luck with the killa sample (35mbps). Also tried other samples and CPU still sits around 89% usage (E2180). Just have not had the time to get all the settings in place, might have some time tonight, if I do I will post my results for others asking about the HW acceleration.

Wow, 44 left... Wonder how many he actually has...

Tempting just for a back-up card...

35mbs would definitely be a 'killa' sample :D even if these cards cant do that, if they handled 12-15mbs they would still work with most bluray rips that are out there. i know i sure dont use 35mbs files, but its nice to see someone actually testing this out. edit- im downloading this 'killa sample' off bittorrent... i want to see if itll even play on my hd3200 with turion x2 laptop. i doubt it will honestly.

Last edited:
bladez is right, the 7800gt is very lacking on the driver side. it just doesnt have any of the features that are common today for a good media experience... it was a solid card in its time for gaming, but for any other reason its just not ideal.

Well this card is on that list so I am not exactly sure what you are saying beyond an inability to form a coherent sentence?!?

nVidia stated a 256MB min at the top, too. (this card has 128MB)

Though another statement on that page makes it seem like a recommendation, not a requirement.

I was gonna blast LawGiver on that, untill I saw both statements.:confused:

thats probably what crim is talking about limited acceleration then. it says right on that page that some programs can run less on 256mb locall memory, but many dont.

thats probably what crim is talking about limited acceleration then. it says right on that page that some programs can run less on 256mb locall memory, but many dont.

Which is also why I wondered if TurboCache (assuming this card has it) would cover the difference.

Mine should arrive tomorrw, since I paid for it last thursday, I'll know by then.

I didn't click on the actual 8400gs link I merely saw it on the supported list.

it says right above that list on that page,
NVIDIA CUDA-enabled products can help accelerate the most demanding tasks—from video and audio encoding to oil and gas exploration, product design, medical imaging, and scientific research. Many CUDA programs require at least 256 MB of memory attached to the GPU. Please check your system’s specifications to ensure the GPU has enough memory to run CUDA programs.

Which is also why I wondered if TurboCache (assuming this card has it) would cover the difference.

Mine should arrive tomorrw, since I paid for it last thursday, I'll know by then.

cool. im too lazy to swap out my gt220 to test this card. i bought it as a spare, i dont really care how well it works... im just curious.

cool. im too lazy to swap out my gt220 to test this card. i bought it as a spare, i dont really care how well it works... im just curious.

Spare here, too.

While I know my "other" spare - a 4350 - will hand it's [rear] to it on a platter, the driver mess I got into last time I really needed it turned me to this option.

Also this:

at the top of the Geforce column.

that doesnt specifically mean its not cuda capable unless it has 256. its a marketing trick really, they dont make it clear at all. which is why itll be nice to get some feedback on actual results

Back