NV40 = 1 molex. haha

neisius

Gawd
From a link on the front page...did no one else see this?
nv40_003.jpg

hmm...but other pics on the same page have 2 molex connectors. I wonder which one is accurate...

(and please don't steal bandwidth. host the pic yerself or just link to it. thx)

Originally posted by HarryPleasure
hmm...but other pics on the same page have 2 molex connectors. I wonder which one is accurate...

(and please don't steal bandwidth. host the pic yerself or just link to it. thx)
no prob. I moved it to my server.

1 molex is 1 molex too many. 2 is way too many.
It simply means the card does not meet industry standard AGP specs, therefore is a hack of a card.
What? nV putting out a hack of a card? Could it be??
Color me shocked.
:rolleyes:

And gee...the layout of those memory chips sure look a lot like Matrox's chip layout on their Parhelia. Couldn't possibly be an influence from those engineers nV stole from Matrox a couple years ago, and got sued (and lost) over...

I will never buy an nV card, no matter how good it may be, just because of their business practices. They intentionally killed 3Dfx, and tried to do the same to Matrox by ileagally hiring away employees, and stealing their and other companies technologies.

Originally posted by Kruzin
It simply means the card does not meet industry standard AGP specs, therefore is a hack of a card.
What? nV outting out a hack of a card? Could it be??
Color me shocked.
where else you going to get the power from? And you act like ATi doesn't do it too or something.

im guessing thats the 6800 NU. and the one with 2 molexes is the ultra. or maybe thats just a old card, magizines are a month late you know.

Originally posted by neisius
where else you going to get the power from? And you act like ATi doesn't do it too or something.

No, I don't act like that. Any card ATI puts out that doesn't meet AGP specs, and needs external power is also a hack.

No, I don't act like that. Any card ATI puts out that doesn't meet AGP specs, and needs external power is also a hack.
:rolleyes: Blame the people that came up with the AGP specs not the card maker. Why should we hold back vid card speeds and force them to run off the little power AGP gives?

I don't care if this thing has 4 molex connectors, as long as it is FAST

lemme guess, you have a geforce 2 ;)

apparently you want the card to run on the power of god?

Originally posted by Visable-assassin
GF2 PRO BIOS modded past ultra :p
still got the card running strong !
humm...I'm running at 275/490 right now with only 11.1v on my 12v rail.
What kind of mods are their????

the one that ive still got is heavily cooling modded I spent a chuck of change to buy a bunch of alpha sink which in turn were all cut up and thermal epoxied to the thing. thats also the same card I did my first modded BIOS flash on :)
ahhh..the goold old days :p
Mr. RAutry did my custom BIOS for my 5900nu :p
the guy rules !
yes ive been drinking and yes im off tob ed :p

Dang, thats insane.... Right now my core is at 280.. but that memory... nice :)

Originally posted by Visable-assassin
the one that ive still got is heavily cooling modded I spent a chuck of change to buy a bunch of alpha sink which in turn were all cut up and thermal epoxied to the thing
well I got a 80cfm 120mm blowing over my ultra and it already has ramsinks, so it's cooled.
I guess fixing my PSU prob would probubly let me OC some more.

Originally posted by lucid270
Dang, thats insane.... Right now my core is at 280.. but that memory... nice :)
I really want to hit 300/500 :D hopefully a new powersupply will get me closer.

Actually I think the picture of the gf 6800 with the 2 molex connectors was just an engineering sample.. that's my theory on it anyhow.

~Adam

Originally posted by CleanSlate
Actually I think the picture of the gf 6800 with the 2 molex connectors was just an engineering sample.. that's my theory on it anyhow.

~Adam
I kinda want 2 molexs now. Just like back when I wanted a voodoo6, It's something that no one has seen before :D

i may be wrong, but arnt all the molex plugs coming out of a power supply hooked up to the same rails... you would get the same power output out of one molex as you would from 100 no?

I'm just starting to take circuits in my major, Electrical Engineering, but it seems to me that the only reason they would need two molex connectors was if they were drawing so much current that the wires would be in danger of melting.(current through a resistor = heat)
If they are drawing that much power, then I don't think many people are going to purchase the card without need a
powersupply upgrade.

If it indeed has two, perhaps one of the molex connectors is seperate and used to power the fan, if the fan draws lots of power then it could potentially burn out the fan header on the board, just like hooking up a delta fan to a motherboard. Therefore it would be safer to hook it up to its own power source.

What? nV putting out a hack of a card? Could it be??
Color me shocked.

And gee...the layout of those memory chips sure look a lot like Matrox's chip layout on their Parhelia. Couldn't possibly be an influence from those engineers nV stole from Matrox a couple years ago, and got sued (and lost) over...

I will never buy an nV card, no matter how good it may be, just because of their business practices. They intentionally killed 3Dfx, and tried to do the same to Matrox by ileagally hiring away employees, and stealing their and other companies technologies.

That was just silly. I much rather have that MOLEX than that flimsy floppy drive power thingy :rolleyes:

Originally posted by oqvist
That was just silly. I much rather have that MOLEX than that flimsy floppy drive power thingy :rolleyes:

molex is a brand, they probably make the floppy drive connectors also

I beleive the floppy connectors are called "Berg" connectors...FWIW.

I was under the impression that the two Molex connectors card was the Ultra version and that the one Molex connector was the NU version
And yes you'll need a new PSU with a good 12v rail (20a or more ). Atleast thats what I hear.

I think it needs two molex connectors because it draws two much power for just one and was melting the leads.

Originally posted by fugu
molex is a brand, they probably make the floppy drive connectors also

Yeah but you obviously knew what I was talking about so no problems there :D

But if the R420 only come with 1 molex and NV40 comes with 2 I think that don´t smell good for nVidia. If they have to go to extremes to compete. I mean look at 3dfx and their external powered video cards. That is what happen when you get behind in the technology race. You do what the Americans do with their sport cars. Add larger and larger engines with more cylinders and make them run on 3 litre/10 km:s and such to make up for their old designs. But then it did work with the Viper :D

If you look at pricing charts, I don't think not having one Molex is worth $100.

There are more effecient engine designs than 4cyl. I6 are naturaly ballanced. 60 degree v-6 are more balanced than a 90 degree v-6.

Vette

Originally posted by oqvist
Yeah but you obviously knew what I was talking about so no problems there :D

But if the R420 only come with 1 molex and NV40 comes with 2 I think that don´t smell good for nVidia. If they have to go to extremes to compete. I mean look at 3dfx and their external powered video cards. That is what happen when you get behind in the technology race. You do what the Americans do with their sport cars. Add larger and larger engines with more cylinders and make them run on 3 litre/10 km:s and such to make up for their old designs. But then it did work with the Viper :D
3dfx didn't die because of power problems. It died because its cards were too late and didn't compete well. Neither of which seem to describe NVIDIA at the moment. And if the NV40 outperforms the R420 at the same price, the number of molex connectors really won't concern me. You know it's getting bad when the fanboys need to start complaining about the number of molex connections.

I agree, the number of power connectors, 2 instead of 1, isn't going to be a concern in order to have the best card.

Originally posted by obs
3dfx didn't die because of power problems. It died because its cards were too late and didn't compete well. Neither of which seem to describe NVIDIA at the moment. And if the NV40 outperforms the R420 at the same price, the number of molex connectors really won't concern me. You know it's getting bad when the fanboys need to start complaining about the number of molex connections.

No but why did they feel the urge for external power ;) Because they where behind with an ancient design that didn´t work very well.

I mean when they try to make up for bad handling with raw power ;) Not saying that that is the case with the NV40 it looks good on paper but I do think that if they could they would rather have one molex than two ;) Not that I care about that very much even though my 550 W Antec PSU is running out of Molex connections already :D

And yes 4 cylinders are much much more effective than V8:s. Look at the performance out of how much use they acquire ;) Much higher HP/fuel burn ratio thanks to the lighter design and turbo boosts and such.

Originally posted by ryujiwarui
i may be wrong, but arnt all the molex plugs coming out of a power supply hooked up to the same rails... you would get the same power output out of one molex as you would from 100 no?
New brandname powersupplys have more then 1 12v rail.

Dude, agppro provides the needed power. Their cards are within the AGP spec. the only problem is they want them to be as broadly compatible as possible, so they make it to the lowest widespread denominator. i.e. being able to be slapped in an AGP2x slot and hook it up to the power supply directly.

Back