NTFS Bug Allows Malicious Websites to Bluescreen Windows 7 and 8.1 Systems

The argument for Windows to me is that is has BY FAR the best client x86 ecosystem as a byproduct of its dominant desktop market share.
And thats part of the problem when we say trolling/fanboi/etc. Use your head, don you think that we already know that?

I don't see any rational way this can be argued against.
What we argue is that their OS is still inferior in many ways to others, those are the things that you argue blindly, regardless of proof provided. We already know the windows strength/good points.

One may need or care about that ecosystem but still it exists and plenty of people take advantage of it.

Again, we know, we also used it because of that, but doesnt mean that we wont point out the flaws of the OS or the heavy handed bullshit and monopoly abuse from microsoft that you constantly decide to ignore.

Very few times, very, very few, you see and admit some of those things, but then go back to your denial state and praise them blindly and thats were you get called.

And this has what to do with the Windows NTFS bug?
LOL you expect this thread to be on topic after the last two pages of irrelevance. OK. Thanks lilbabycat for pointing out the fact that Internet Explorer is the only affected browser, making this entire thread pointless and should have been locked yesterday morning.

And thats part of the problem when we say trolling/fanboi/etc. Use your head, don you think that we already know that?

What we argue is that their OS is still inferior in many ways to others, those are the things that you argue blindly, regardless of proof provided. We already know the windows strength/good points.

Again, we know, we also used it because of that, but doesnt mean that we wont point out the flaws of the OS or the heavy handed bullshit and monopoly abuse from microsoft that you constantly decide to ignore.

Very few times, very, very few, you see and admit some of those things, but then go back to your denial state and praise them blindly and thats were you get called.

LOL you expect this thread to be on topic after the last two pages of irrelevance. OK. Thanks lilbabycat for pointing out the fact that Internet Explorer is the only affected browser, making this entire thread pointless and should have been locked yesterday morning.

Which has nothing to do with what I asked. Yes Windows is the dominant and, therefore, best desktop operating system available. Because of that, bugs are going to happen, such as this one.

Again, selective memory at its best.
Which has nothing to do with what I asked. Yes Windows is the dominant and, therefore, best desktop operating system available. Because of that, bugs are going to happen, such as this one.
You should have done this yesterday. It is cute, but too late. Need I remind you of your participation in the derailment yesterday? Don't use IE. Problem solved; EOT.

Again, selective memory at its best.
You should have done this yesterday. It is cute, but too late. Need I remind you of your participation in the derailment yesterday? Don't use IE. Problem solved; EOT.

Nah, I am careful not to troll, just saying. If the LvW stuff would not start, yes, it would have been EOT a long time ago.

It has as much to do with the bug as the post he replied to... or taking time to ask how it applies.... or taking the time to reply to someone replying to a reply of a reply asking how it applies.

To answer your question though... heatle just argued that despite show stopping bugs windows is still the bestiest bestie of all the bestiest OSs in the world so suck it up buttercup. So to sum it up... the conversations has evolved thusly;
1) This is a bad bug... but can only be exploited if people are using Internet explorer (so funny enough the MS web browser.. pointing out yet another MS induced security flaw, and yes Edge may be new but most of their Enterprise clients are still using IE because MS forced that crap on us)
2) some people believe its possible that MS may have found this bug earlier and just choose to leave it be, as they seem to have fixed it in Win 10 somehow.
3) poster claims it was fixed by accident
4) other posters believe MS won't fix this at all, as it gives people one more reason to upgrade to 10 and make them that mad mad search cash
5) its mentioned perhaps this is one more reason to upgrade to Linux instead
6) which leads to na na na man that's crazy talk... Win may be the least secure major operating system in the world but its still the biggest therefore your only option son.
7) which brings a back and forth and ends in someone being called obtuse (ok the word Employee may have been used instead)
8) After a bit of swearing and foot stomping... VR man VfreakingR. Cause that is what the MS spin doctor in residence uses whenever anyone says "hey this is yet another pretty terrible MS bug/practice/operation/feature/non-feature that operates better in the OS that solves said issue"
9) thread seems to die off
10) someone comes back and posts a love letter to poor windows... and how no one would possibly think about leaving you. You may abuse use but we know you love us and our hardware bits. We'll work this out and no no I won't leave with that younger sexier OS.

Not sure why I just bothered doing that... but there is a recap for you. And and explanation of why "He...just can't help himself." is perfectly on topic.

It has as much to do with the bug as the post he replied to... or taking time to ask how it applies.... or taking the time to reply to someone replying to a reply of a reply asking how it applies.

To answer your question though... heatle just argued that despite show stopping bugs windows is still the bestiest bestie of all the bestiest OSs in the world so suck it up buttercup. So to sum it up... the conversations has evolved thusly;
1) This is a bad bug... but can only be exploited if people are using Internet explorer (so funny enough the MS web browser.. pointing out yet another MS induced security flaw, and yes Edge may be new but most of their Enterprise clients are still using IE because MS forced that crap on us)
2) some people believe its possible that MS may have found this bug earlier and just choose to leave it be, as they seem to have fixed it in Win 10 somehow.
3) poster claims it was fixed by accident
4) other posters believe MS won't fix this at all, as it gives people one more reason to upgrade to 10 and make them that mad mad search cash
5) its mentioned perhaps this is one more reason to upgrade to Linux instead
6) which leads to na na na man that's crazy talk... Win may be the least secure major operating system in the world but its still the biggest therefore your only option son.
7) which brings a back and forth and ends in someone being called obtuse (ok the word Employee may have been used instead)
8) After a bit of swearing and foot stomping... VR man VfreakingR. Cause that is what the MS spin doctor in residence uses whenever anyone says "hey this is yet another pretty terrible MS bug/practice/operation/feature/non-feature that operates better in the OS that solves said issue"
9) thread seems to die off
10) someone comes back and posts a love letter to poor windows... and how no one would possibly think about leaving you. You may abuse use but we know you love us and our hardware bits. We'll work this out and no no I won't leave with that younger sexier OS.

Not sure why I just bothered doing that... but there is a recap for you. And and explanation of why "He...just can't help himself." is perfectly on topic.

c8fce312f321a767d12a4f0c2a01ef01433b312c22910cca0bcdd5ad9549aa01.jpg

Oh quick, look, there is a bug in Windows, GET OUT THE PITCH FORKS! The world is coming to an end and everyone is switching to Linux. /s LOL :D Perhaps the reason these are posted here is so as too inform us of what is going on? Nah, it is for the Linux squad to come in and bash instead. :D Oh well, it certainly is entertaining.
I guess windows only works sometimes then. :)

I think he was talking about 8.1 being updated with the fix. Some people think MS wants to push 10 by giving it away for free or not fixing bugs in 7 and 8.1. OK, they are correct in that but 8.1 should have life left.

Dominance does not imply best

It would be dominant if 10 offered choices on the OS installation. I could only imagine how many more people would of switched when it came out.

Considering that they resorted to illegal tactics to kill better competitors, lik
Said no one, ever. :) And if Linux were dominant?
we would be pushing BSD, HaikuOS, OS/2, BeOS (the best OS ever made, illegally killed by M$), etc.

But only if Linux was abusing its market share, like how your beloved microcrap is doing with the forced w10 installs, just so they can log every keystroke and sell it.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Said no one, ever. :) And if Linux were dominant?

I seem to remember you (perhaps it was another win booster I'm not 100% sure) arguing that MS Mobile is far better and superior to Android, but you know nasty OEMs an all. Not that I agree MS mobile was ever on par with android... still I very much remember the "dominance doesn't = better" being used in that case. lol

I depend on Windows to make a living and personally many thousands in hardware and software running it that only Windows can support. It's literally impossible for me to ignore issues with Windows. I don't argue that there are issues, I've never said Microsoft has done any number of fucked up things. But sometimes the shit does get oversold by some folks. Take updates. Ok, Linux's OS update process is superior. But if Windows 10 updates were constantly bricking machines or causing me a lot of grief for what I need and want of it I'd be done with it.

Seriously, who the hell would put up with thousands of dollars stuff that was constantly getting screwed up? It be a whole lot easier to use Linux if for no other reason I wouldn't bother spending money on stuff that didn't run or supported well under Linux. The way some describe Windows, it essentially doesn't function. Do a single update and everything gets bricked and blows up.

They are not actively supporting older versions. And that's always been the case. I will note that sure brand new CPUs shouldn't be shut out of updates for currently supported versions of Windows. But to expect every improvement that comes with Windows 10 that's approved by the internet, nope.

They have always actively supported older versions of windows until mainstream support ends, and then fixed security issues during extended support period. What I think you meant is backporting features which you are correct, major features usually dont get backported.

However microsoft since the release of windows 8 starting changing their mindset, they abandoned windows 7 SP2 and also removed references to windows 7 from their webspace, so e.g. if you click on the gadget link in windows 7 it takes you to a buy windows 10 page. Microsoft are basically in some ways pretending windows 7 and 8.1 dont exist, e.g. when they announced end of life for EMET they said its because it isnt needed in windows 10, yet they still have 100s of millions of people using 7 and 8.1.

The blocking windows update on newer CPUs is defenitly new behaviour from microsoft and just silly. Even I didnt think they would sink that low but they did.

Also its worth pointing out a fair few security issues have been patched in win10 but not 8.1 and 7, so they not honouring their service agreement with users.

They have always actively supported older versions of windows until mainstream support ends, and then fixed security issues during extended support period. What I think you meant is backporting features which you are correct, major features usually dont get backported.

However microsoft since the release of windows 8 starting changing their mindset, they abandoned windows 7 SP2 and also removed references to windows 7 from their webspace, so e.g. if you click on the gadget link in windows 7 it takes you to a buy windows 10 page. Microsoft are basically in some ways pretending windows 7 and 8.1 dont exist, e.g. when they announced end of life for EMET they said its because it isnt needed in windows 10, yet they still have 100s of millions of people using 7 and 8.1.

The blocking windows update on newer CPUs is defenitly new behaviour from microsoft and just silly. Even I didnt think they would sink that low but they did.

Also its worth pointing out a fair few security issues have been patched in win10 but not 8.1 and 7, so they not honouring their service agreement with users.

I said from day one that I didn't agree with Microsoft actively blocking Windows updates with new CPUs. It's a stupid decision if for no other reason it's a bad PR move that in reality isn't going to effect enough users to matter a great deal.

People that will accuse me of defending Microsoft and claim that they are big Windows users, any rational person who understands just how much shit is supported across all versions of Windows can't possibly say they do everything there is to do with Windows. I certainly don't. I do tend to use a lot of stuff not made by Microsoft that likes the latest and greatest. And if others don't care about it, that's fine. I'm not looking to run Windows 7 for things like VR or 4k or things that didn't exist before Windows 7 or even Windows 8.x. Windows users running older versions are typically running the very hardware that version came with.

As for this issue, so Windows 10 doesn't appear to be affected by it, it apparently was in multiple versions of Windows, this particular code was refactored, AFAIK there was never a specific vulnerability on this issue before now, but some are say that Microsoft knew about the issue and fixed in Windows 10 and knowingly didn't fix it prior versions. Certainly possible, all I was saying is that it's just as easy to fix bugs as introduce them when refactoring code. Anyone that writes code knows this and it's not a defense of Microsoft. It's a natural result of code refactoring.

Easier said than done if you play games. The selection on linux is atrocious, as is the optimization and drivers a lot of the time. Macs have ancient/slow hardware. Same is true for consoles.

I didn't say it was easy but I can tell you one thing: the negatives of Linux such as gaming support improve every day meanwhile the negatives of Windows just seem to get worse every day such as how they treat their customers and how little control you have over the OS you paid for.

Back