NTFS Bug Allows Malicious Websites to Bluescreen Windows 7 and 8.1 Systems

It's FAR more than being upset and it's time to cuss people out over fucking lies. I'm tired of if and the risk fuckers are putting me at. I've never assumed where people in this forum work and it's not like they advertise it.

What exactly is this "risk" you're talking about? Did you do something really fucking stupid like reveal your real identity on a forum while being an asshat or something?

Microsoft is not just pushing Windows 10, they are actively sabotaging older versions.

They are not actively supporting older versions. And that's always been the case. I will note that sure brand new CPUs shouldn't be shut out of updates for currently supported versions of Windows. But to expect every improvement that comes with Windows 10 that's approved by the internet, nope.

This is not a conversation about VR or 2-in-1s.

Well sure. It's about a conspiracy theory where Microsoft withheld as fix for a flaw that was publicly disclosed recently to promote Windows 10 almost two years after 10 was launched. Just like WannaCrypt. Except not.

What exactly is this "risk" you're talking about? Did you do something really fucking stupid like reveal your real identity on a forum while being an asshat or something?

Of course. I use Windows 10 and Tupac was raise from the dead and I'm posting this from the grave from two years ago.

Or, how about this. I'm fucking tired of liars? Do not understand how risk much liars can cause?

You work for Google. Or Exxon. Or anyone I want to place blame on you.

It's only a conspiracy theory if it's not true. :)

But anyway, this thread has run its course so, you folks have fun with it.

You work for God. Prove me wrong.

Don't drag me into the whole "You work for Microsoft..." side of things, just don't, I've never gone there, never hinted at it, and I'm not one of those other people making the claim even half-heartedly or as any type of joke at all.

Sounds to me like you're letting them get to you, perhaps taking a break from this place for a few minutes or hours and enjoying the weekend might be a good idea, but it's your call - just don't cross that line and lump me into what those other folk are doing.

Regardless, I'm done here, I would hope you are as well and moving on to better things.

Fair enough. It's just that I buy so much hardware that has no Microsoft branding that does so many other things well. Linux folks accuse me of this and that, just go buy a lot of new hardware and tell me how that goes.

Screw the rest of your posts, this is what pisses me off, this is flat out bullshit.

You don't want to be called a MS shill! You don't want to be singled out! Stop posting crap, stop blindly defending MS at every turn no matter how downright stupid and self destructing their decisions and stop acting like Linux is incapable of running 1080Ti's, multi core processors, VR, 4k, whatever! And then having the nerve to act like Linux users mustn't game as they don't post in the [H] gaming forums!

It's all flat out rubbish and I'm struggling to sympathise with you in any way whatsoever!

I've said it before and I'll ram it home again, we're all hardware enthusiasts, most of us like the occasional game! Stop acting so leet simply because you run Windows with two 1080Ti's and bloody VR! You bring this on yourself!

Reactions: naib
like this
Sounds to me like you're letting them get to you, perhaps taking a break from this place for a few minutes or hours and enjoying the weekend might be a good idea, but it's your call - just don't cross that line and lump me into what those other folk are doing.

Regardless, I'm done here, I would hope you are as well and moving on to better things.

Great advice in my book you're cool. You listen to folks as well as anyone I've seen around here. :D

Stop posting crap, stop blindly defending MS at every turn no matter how downright stupid and self destructing their decisions and stop acting like Linux is incapable of running 1080Ti's, multi core processors, VR, 4k, whatever! And then having the nerve to act like Linux users mustn't game as they don't post in the [H] gaming forums!

Bullshit, I never said Linux has no support for these things over and over and over. I've simply said who the fuck buys stuff like this to run exclusively under Linux? You don't. Back the truck up dude.

What risk though? You keep using that word but not quantifying it.

I don't work for Microsoft. Why the fuck lie about it? Who do you work for? Like you're going to tell me on a public internet forum. What a load of bullshit.

Bullshit, I never said Linux has no support for these things over and over and over. I've simply said who the fuck buys stuff like this to run exclusively under Linux? You don't. Back the truck up dude.

Dear gawd.

I do not avoid purchasing such hardware simply because I run Linux, and this is what you are implying! It's flat out rubbish! I do not waste money on crap, I justify my purchases. I like to game, I like to experiment, I've stated time and time again exactly what i use my PC for and it handles everything I do just fine! The constant need to upgrade to the latest and greatest is simply pointless these days as we reach the limitations of silicon technology! Yet for some obscure reason you feel the unsatable need to imply that Linux users have no use for high end hardware! It's crap and I'm sick of hearing it.

Your attempt to cry victim isn't working with me. You've insulted me as much as I've defended myself in the face of your laughable remarks. Geezus, I've even intercepted incredibly insulting comments between yourself and ManOfGod in PM! You don't hear me sooking!

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I do not avoid purchasing such hardware simply because I run Linux, and this is what you are implying! It's flat out rubbish!

So you buy hardware that you know doesn't do what you want it to do under desktop Linux? Talk about rubbish.

I do not waste money on crap, I justify my purchases.

You buyt what you want and need without justification. It's your money, why in the hell do you need justification beyond yourself?

I like to game, I like to experiment, I've stated time and time again exactly what i use my PC for and it handles everything I do just fine! The constant need to upgrade to the latest and greatest is simply pointless these days as we reach the limitations of silicon technology! Yet for some obscure reason you feel the unsatable need to imply that Linux users have no use for high end hardware! It's crap and I'm sick of hearing it.

I like to experiment as well. You keep telling me how I say Linux doesn't work with VR, yet I did the work to make my sig rig work under VR. And yeah, pointless. I already had Serious Sam VR working under VR months ago. I don't know what I've doing though, VR is niche and yet you've never even tried to do it.

Your attempt to cry victim isn't working with me.

Of course not. I can show people a PC VR rig running under Linux. Can you?

So you buy hardware that you know doesn't do what you want it to do under desktop Linux? Talk about rubbish.

You buyt what you want and need without justification. It's your money, why in the hell do you need justification beyond yourself?

I like to experiment as well. You keep telling me how I say Linux doesn't work with VR, yet I did the work to make my sig rig work under VR. And yeah, pointless. I already had Serious Sam VR working under VR months ago. I don't know what I've doing though, VR is niche and yet you've never even tried to do it.

Of course not. I can show people a PC VR rig running under Linux. Can you?

Justifying purchases to yourself is sort of part of life isn't it. Almost everyone has expendable cash... you have to choose. Do I want to blow my fun budget on nothing but this here PC and the electrician I'll need to hire ? Or do I spend a reasonable amount on the hardware and instead take my kids to the zoo a few movies... perhaps take the wife out for a meal a couple times. Yes heatle real people have budgets and a life balance. We don't all choose to buy the tippy top GPU. CPU ect. every single cycle. Most of us have also learned from experience. I have purchased the $600 video cards before... and 6 months later when the same level of performance is $300 you end up asking yourself if you really played enough games to make that $300 worth it, then most people decide to just skip the $600 cards and buy $300 dollar ones more often. That isn't being a lesser gamer or hardware enthusiast its called making a logical spending decision.

Imagine if Jay Leno spent all day on a Car forum telling other car guys that had $100k restoration projects that they "had no idea" and clearly couldn't comprehend all the things you could do with your own on site mechanics and 100s of $100k cars. He would sound like a knob, even if the site was filled with other super rich folk right ?

As for VR again... pls man just drop it no one gives a rats ass about VR in threads that have nothing at all to even freaking do with gaming. We get it Windows is better for VR right now... everyone agrees with you. If all you want to do is strap a headset on and swing your arms around like a special kinda knob go ahead have fun, RUN windows. Once again please don't act like that matters to anyone... it doesn't by the end of the year there still won't be 1 million PC VR sets in the wild, so making it your Windows Rulez Linux Droolz trump card is a joke.

Heatle if you haven't caught on the microsoft employee thing is a joke... and only really funny at this point as it seems to hit a nerve.

You can claim refactoring code or some such BS for why Windows 10 is immune to this decade old bug. I don't buy it and neither do most people with half a brain.

MS has been Guilty in the past, as in found guilty in a court... of this exact practice with older operating systems and software. So as much as MS wants to claim that was old MS and behaviour of the old bosses ect ect... BS their actions seem to point to MS being the same Ole MS we all know and love/hate.
Come on... It's clear he doesn't work for Microsoft. He is a sales rep for VR
Did you know VR doesn't work on Linux

Justifying purchases to yourself is sort of part of life isn't it. Almost everyone has expendable cash... you have to choose. Do I want to blow my fun budget on nothing but this here PC and the electrician I'll need to hire ? Or do I spend a reasonable amount on the hardware and instead take my kids to the zoo a few movies... perhaps take the wife out for a meal a couple times. Yes heatle real people have budgets and a life balance. We don't all choose to buy the tippy top GPU. CPU ect. every single cycle. Most of us have also learned from experience. I have purchased the $600 video cards before... and 6 months later when the same level of performance is $300 you end up asking yourself if you really played enough games to make that $300 worth it, then most people decide to just skip the $600 cards and buy $300 dollar ones more often. That isn't being a lesser gamer or hardware enthusiast its called making a logical spending decision.

Imagine if Jay Leno spent all day on a Car forum telling other car guys that had $100k restoration projects that they "had no idea" and clearly couldn't comprehend all the things you could do with your own on site mechanics and 100s of $100k cars. He would sound like a knob, even if the site was filled with other super rich folk right ?

As for VR again... pls man just drop it no one gives a rats ass about VR in threads that have nothing at all to even freaking do with gaming. We get it Windows is better for VR right now... everyone agrees with you. If all you want to do is strap a headset on and swing your arms around like a special kinda knob go ahead have fun, RUN windows. Once again please don't act like that matters to anyone... it doesn't by the end of the year there still won't be 1 million PC VR sets in the wild, so making it your Windows Rulez Linux Droolz trump card is a joke.

Couldn't have said it better ChadD.

I wonder if it still effects whether your partition table is GPT or MBR being NTFS?

Hey guys, I'm not here to defend Microsoft but here are some possibilities as to the reason why you should be running Windows 10.

I ran windows 10 on a acer predator laptop for a month or more, I fucking hate windows10, I'm back on win7 pro x64 and love it. Don't know what you have until it's gone they say? Well, I found out the hardway.

Dear gawd.

I do not avoid purchasing such hardware simply because I run Linux, and this is what you are implying! It's flat out rubbish! I do not waste money on crap, I justify my purchases. I like to game, I like to experiment, I've stated time and time again exactly what i use my PC for and it handles everything I do just fine! The constant need to upgrade to the latest and greatest is simply pointless these days as we reach the limitations of silicon technology! Yet for some obscure reason you feel the unsatable need to imply that Linux users have no use for high end hardware! It's crap and I'm sick of hearing it.

Your attempt to cry victim isn't working with me. You've insulted me as much as I've defended myself in the face of your laughable remarks. Geezus, I've even intercepted incredibly insulting comments between yourself and ManOfGod in PM! You don't hear me sooking!

He does not constantly upgrade to the latest and greatest all the time and he never has. He upgrades about every 5 years or so, with the exception that he upgraded from 1080's to 1080 Ti's. Of course, when it comes to VR, you need the latest and greatest to have a good experience in many ways. Also, you keep being you, I will keep enjoying it. :D

Couldn't have said it better ChadD.

Then why are you constantly trying to justify yourself to us in every. single. windows. thread? LOL There is nothing here but a Windows bug that they let us know about.

I don't work for Microsoft. Why the fuck lie about it? Who do you work for? Like you're going to tell me on a public internet forum. What a load of bullshit.

You still haven't answered the question. What "risk" is there to someone on the internet saying (even though no one is) you work for MS? Like I said in the previous posts, you use this word but don't quantify it. Risk to your forum status? Risk your your e-rep? Risk to IRL job? Risk to your fee-fee's? I think you're taking things too personally. People here think you're a MS-shill, and I don't think they really think it further whether you're paid or not. But that's your namesake here, until we stop having reasons to associate you as such. So in a sense, yeah, your e-rep on [H] is forever tainted as "that guy who defends Windows 10 like he's an employee". No one really cares beyond that and its actually fun to shove this stuff in your face and play the back and forth of debate about the circumstances. I've learned more about the telemetry and tracking here on various threads than anywhere else. So in a way, thanks for being so adamant about it that the rest of us are motivated to research further and prove you wrong.

The only other advice I can give you is:

--------

As far as the bug itself, I read elsewhere that it only affects Internet Explorer as they don't properly block links as such, FF/Opera/Chrome are fine. :D

Then why are you constantly trying to justify yourself to us in every. single. windows. thread? LOL There is nothing here but a Windows bug that they let us know about.

I think you'll find its going both ways mate. Not really interested in anything you have to say.

He does not constantly upgrade to the latest and greatest all the time and he never has. He upgrades about every 5 years or so, with the exception that he upgraded from 1080's to 1080 Ti's. Of course, when it comes to VR, you need the latest and greatest to have a good experience in many ways. Also, you keep being you, I will keep enjoying it. :D

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I think you'll find its going both ways mate. Not really interested in anything you have to say.

That is cool, I am not an interesting person anyways, just someone on the internet that enjoys computers. :D Also, it is good to know this bug exists but I will have to see if it can be prevented even without a patch.

Are there still people who read HS's posts? If so, why?

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Are there still people who read HS's posts? If so, why?
Because his justification for anything microcrap does sometimes reach hilarious levels of entertainment for us.

They are borderline insane. Reminds me of the character played by Brooke Shields in Friends, in how disconnected that character was with it's surroundings.

Besides, Chad made him cry!

That's gold, Jerry, gold!!

While I might agree with you in some instances, allow me to go all conspiracy nut on this situation for a moment:

What IF - that's a big IF so you don't miss it - this suddenly "new" exploit wasn't really new at all and instead was something that Microsoft has known about for a very very long time now because nobody knows the Windows source code better than they do, not even the most talented most creative "hackers" in the world today, and let's wonder what IF (yep) this exploit suddenly made an appearance at a particular point in time when Microsoft has been really pushing the Windows 10 security aspects like they're some freakin' Holy Grail kind of thing (it's really not) and doing pretty much everything they can to get people to stop using Windows 7 and 8.1, and finally what IF (yes, yes) what I'm speculating at here actually was found to be completely true because of the fact that it only affects Windows 7 and 8.1 which are the two products that Microsoft absolutely seems to despise more and more with each passing second because some folks just think those versions of Windows are better for them and the way they choose to use their computers running the Windows operating system?

I wouldn't put it past them, not for one single damned second, and just because it appears to have been noted and published (for research purposes of course) at a Russian website doesn't mean a certain company based in Redmond, WA, USA, isn't involved on any of several levels in the outing.

I'm just sayin... :D
Lol. That's okay, I'd rather risk a one in a million bluescreen with 8.1 than get spied on 24/7 in Windows 10.
LOL guys, my post #7 was a joke about post #6; I was not being in any way serious! Wow, apparently only heatlesssun understood the joke. I will try to lay it on a little more thick next time. By the way, Windows 8 was a major attempt #1 drawing board cooperative effort with your favorite three letter acronym agency. And c'mon, the blue screen of death was eliminated! Now it is green! :ROFLMAO:

I ran windows 10 on a acer predator laptop for a month or more, I fucking hate windows10, I'm back on win7 pro x64 and love it. Don't know what you have until it's gone they say? Well, I found out the hardway.
Yeah I tried it back in July. It wouldn't stop hammering my disk and cpu even after all updates were applied. It was a total fiend on my files and had no intention of stopping. I restored my previous Windows install using the built-in recovery method, then after noticing how dirty of a restore it was, I repartitioned and restored from my own backup image. What a waste of time.

Wow, I can't believe people are still hammering on heatlesssun after all this time.
I mean, how dare he actually *like* Microsoft's products, or dare I say it, have an opinion of his own??? :D

Really, I can't believe this shit is still going on, and the whole "he works for M$" joke has been going for over five years now... let it go.
He's a good guy who actually helps a lot of people on here and is very knowledgeable when it comes to Microsoft products, and you all really need to grow up and start recognizing that.

No, he does not work for Microsoft, and even if he did, who cares.
As much as I didn't care for Windows 8/8.1 myself, and while I did not agree with heatlesssun on his views of those operating systems at the time, I still respect him for standing his ground and backing his opinions with real-world facts and information, which happens to be a bit more than I can say for quite a few others.

And all of this is coming from one of the biggest Linux shills on here.
Come on everyone, give the guy a break, I think he's earned it.

Oh it's still in mainstream support, Microsoft just doesn't seem to care. They have been screwing people for years, now it's just starting to effect their customers. Fight the power man, don't support them in any way. Leave them, just because they say they hit you because they love you doesn't make it so.

Easier said than done if you play games. The selection on linux is atrocious, as is the optimization and drivers a lot of the time. Macs have ancient/slow hardware. Same is true for consoles.

Easier said than done if you play games. The selection on linux is atrocious, as is the optimization and drivers a lot of the time. Macs have ancient/slow hardware. Same is true for consoles.

Dual boot and ween yourself. :)

Gaming is improving every day. Of course even the hardest core Linux booster isn't going to sugar coat it. Some games are not on Linux yet.

Having said that... a lot are, their are a ton of great games on Linux and almost all of them run very well. Do a bit of research and pick a Distro that does well with gaming. Ubuntu is the obvious choice with support and steamos being based on it. However I have always found the best gaming distro to be Arch, as its lean and mean and tends to be just a bit faster. However Arch is not for new Linux folk it involves command line install and understanding how Linux partitions work and lots of building from src. Which is why I suggest Manjaro its fully arch based, semi-rolling, steam runs extremely well on it, and GOG downloads which are often a simple .sh download have always installed with no issues for me on Manjaro. Also if you use an Nvidia GPU Manjaro will allow you to "install with non-free" drivers taking care of that. (its not super complicated on Ubuntu distros either... but it can be on some commercial style distros like Cent or Suse)

Anyway that is my suggestion... Dual Boot. I fully admit all the time I have a Windows 7 Drive. A year back I would boot it all the time for a bunch of games. These days honestly I'm considering killing it again, but I know for a bit yet I might regret it. Still I mostly only buy games that have Linux support these days.... and no Wine isn't the best solution but, where up to Wine 2.9 now and it does a surprisingly good job at running a lot of windows games these days. WIne is never going to be a great way to win a FPS crown, however if you just want to play a Few windows games you love. Especially if you have a slightly older RPG/RTS or something that you actually play and not just benchmark then it does a great job. (I can't help myself I still play the homeworld games and Sins of a Solar empire now and then, they run perfectly in Wine)

Anyway dip your toe in if you have the time and the room on a drive or better a spare drive around. Not saying you should dump windows ... going cold turkey isn't a good idea for almost anything in life. :)

Oh, well, it came as a big rude fucking surprise to a lot of people when owners of computers running Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 went to bed one evening or night and woke up the next morning or day and discovered "Wait, what, how the hell did Windows 10 install itself on my machine when I didn't want it and even went so far as to make sure I expressly and specifically chose the option in that stupid fucking Windows Update that I did not want to upgrade to Windows 10..." or words to that effect.

That's the difference here: Microsoft has done things that are obviously going way way over a line that no other such company has breached in my experience of working with personal computers for 4+ decades now. They did something that is easily and accurately described as malicious by my definition and usage of the word - people decided they didn't want Windows 10 and clicked a button that should have CLOSED the upgrade application since it used the all too familiar and Windows standard "X" gadget in the upper right hand corner of the dialogue window that appeared and what happened: the upgrade process was started.

That's malicious, by any definition, and absolutely deceptive to have modified their own industry standard UI design principles for the express purpose of doing something exactly 180 degrees the opposite of what that button was designed to do and in this case it caused an automatic upgrade to Windows 10 when the purpose of the end user clicking that button was to answer "No, I don't want this, don't do this..."

It's not business in that respect, it's immoral and downright wrong, period.

I agree with that, but that wasn't the point of my post. It was about trying to promote their newest product and get people on it rather than sitting on an older product. Companies are always pushing their newest version. I don't agree with their upgrade tactics, but with them constantly pushing Win10 and not supporting older OS's anymore, that's just how business goes. For damn near every company.

Wow, I can't believe people are still hammering on heatlesssun after all this time.
I mean, how dare he actually *like* Microsoft's products, or dare I say it, have an opinion of his own??? :D

Really, I can't believe this shit is still going on, and the whole "he works for M$" joke has been going for over five years now... let it go.
He's a good guy who actually helps a lot of people on here and is very knowledgeable when it comes to Microsoft products, and you all really need to grow up and start recognizing that.

As much as I didn't care for Windows 8/8.1 myself, and while I did not agree with heatlesssun on his views of those operating systems at the time, I still respect him for standing his ground and backing his opinions with real-world facts and information, which happens to be a bit more than I can say for quite a few others.

Every now and then he does post useful information and seems to come to this side of reason, but many, many other times, he just ramble on and straight up post crap, just because Microsoft stuff is "that good"

Which honestly is straight up trolling.

Thanks! The thing that just gets ridiculous about this debate to me is that something as old and well deployed as Windows, well you can only like it if you're being paid my Microsoft. That's just flat out crazy. I've never said Windows is perfect and sure it has it's problems. EVERYTHING has its problems. I use Windows on PCs and now Windows 10 because for over 20 years Windows has done pretty much everything I've ever needed and wanted from a PC OS. If there were another x86 client OS that supported most everything that I use Windows for and didn't have the problems of Windows, that's the x86 I and just about the whole planet would use especially it were a free OS Linux. There's be no reason to use Windows for ANYONE if that were the case.

And sure, there are plenty of people who use Windows that could just as easily use something else like a Linux distro. Hell of lot of them could just get by with a tablet of phone and wouldn't even necessarily need a desktop client OS. But if Windows is working for them and doing the job it's not like many people in that situation would give a rats ass about the OS or switching to something else when what they have works for them.

Every now and then he does post useful information and seems to come to this side of reason, but many, many other times, he just ramble on and straight up post crap, just because Microsoft stuff is "that good"

Which honestly is straight up trolling.

The argument for Windows to me is that is has BY FAR the best client x86 ecosystem as a byproduct of its dominant desktop market share. I don't see any rational way this can be argued against. One may need or care about that ecosystem but still it exists and plenty of people take advantage of it.

Back