Not noticing much difference...

Dynafrom

Gawd
Joined
May 28, 2006
Messages
628
Between my logi Z5500, and these mission speakers I got. Is this supposed to be the "audiophile expieriance" ? $400 for subtle differences? The only things I noticed so far between these and my old speakers are MUCH better highs,

Picture.jpg
 
Between my logi Z5500, and these mission speakers I got. Is this supposed to be the "audiophile expieriance" ? $400 for subtle differences? The only things I noticed so far between these and my old speakers are MUCH better highs,

Well if you expect to be floored as if you were moving from a p4 to a overclocked core 2 quad...or like from a 7600gt to a 8800gtx...im sorry to say its not going to happen (at least in my expeience) with a component upgrade...maybe if you saved up 600$ for a new amp and source and then gave your system a huge overhaul...you might hear a difference...


whats your current source and amp?
 
It's all hooked up to my logitech's sub/amp. Not much difference even if I put it in my parents home theater w/ yamaha amp.
Yeah I think I expected to much. I was hoping to hear the difference night/day.
 
It's all hooked up to my logitech's sub/amp. Not much difference even if I put it in my parents home theater w/ yamaha amp.
Yeah I think I expected to much. I was hoping to hear the difference night/day.

A source upgrade might help you out...but you are going to have to decide if you want to go down this rabbit hole or not...I myself like to see a difference when i spend money on items, but i have enough denial to say that the next upgrade will give me what i want...:D
 
Ok listening to some classical music and there is a BIG tangible difference in quality. It sounds much clear, and not as muddled. Gunshots from CS also have a crisper sound.
 
Ok listening to some classical music and there is a BIG tangible difference in quality. It sounds much clear, and not as muddled. Gunshots from CS also have a crisper sound.

Just curious, what sound card do you have? I also have the Z-5500 and I'm wondering which sound card to get to have a better music listening experience.

Also, what connection are you using to output from the card to the Z-5500? Analog, optical, or coaxial? Does it make a difference?
 
I'm using direct input, optical makes no difference. I'm using my onboard soundcard.
 
So wait you're powering real speakers with a PC speakers build in amp, using onboard sound, saying there's a large difference in the highs, yet you're disappointed?
 
So wait you're powering real speakers with a PC speakers build in amp, using onboard sound, saying there's a large difference in the highs, yet you're disappointed?

Yes. I am disappointed. I hooked it up to my Dad's system in the basement. It was slightly better, but not enough for me. But w/e it's still good, so i'm keeping it. :D
 
Yes. I am disappointed. I hooked it up to my Dad's system in the basement. It was slightly better, but not enough for me. But w/e it's still good, so i'm keeping it. :D

Change the source and then you'll hear the difference you're looking for. It's pointless to upgrade the sats like that and expect such a large difference; you probably would have gotten much better results had you ditched the PC amp, gotten a receiver, and hooked the existing speakers up to it.

Even if you drive 2.1 on a receiver...heck, 2.0 on a receiver, the sound quality will far outdo the setup you're running now. Not the other way around. Believe me, I owned more than 6 different PC based multimedia speaker systems till I moved to hi-fi. It's now been 4 years since I changed any of my audio equipment; that's the difference it made.
 
the logis cross over pretty high(120ish) so you will not be able to hear the speakers the way they where designed to be played. mission makes pretty nice speakers so giving them what they want will help the sound. a small sub cant hurt. they may not move enough air to sound nice in a theater setup... near field you will have a better chance.
 
Yes. I am disappointed. I hooked it up to my Dad's system in the basement. It was slightly better, but not enough for me. But w/e it's still good, so i'm keeping it. :D

You need real speakers cables and please, don't power them with that logitech "amp".

Your setup is only as good as the weakest part of it.
 
Bookshelf speakers are always just bookshelf speakers. Also, much better highs = a much better speaker. You hear the difference. Not caring about the difference doesn't mean there is no improvement.
 
Back
Top