• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Norton Recommends You Block Bing

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Don’t like those little porn previews (here) you are getting via Bing? Norton has the cure…block Bing. Doh!

Microsoft’s new Bing search engine has a video search tool that displays selections as small thumbnails in a preview mode. Hovering your mouse over the thumbnail will start the video and audio. Unfortunately, children can turn off the Safe Search function of Bing and view blocked content such as pornography using the video search tool. We recommend that you add Bing.com to the OnlineFamily.Norton blocked list for your kids to stop accessing inappropriate content through Bing.com.
 
Does Norton recommend you block Google too because last time I checked, Google Image displays nude pictures when SafeSearch is disabled.
 
Fark Norton, Fark them in the ear! Those bastards couldn't code their way a goto loop in 1979 Apple BASIC. I so wish those worthless idiots would go out of business.

/Yes, I spend a lot of time removing Norton's various crapware from customer's machines... why do you ask?
 
Norton should just block the internet and leave us alone.
 
Are people this stupid? Really? It's not like Bing.com is opening some huge hole in the internet that someone couldn't get to before. All they have to do is google the same thing and click a link to see the same video. How much is google paying Norton to do this? If you have kids turning off filters and searching for these subjects in the first place, you already fail as a parent. :rolleyes:
 
Are people this stupid? Really? It's not like Bing.com is opening some huge hole in the internet that someone couldn't get to before. All they have to do is google the same thing and click a link to see the same video. How much is google paying Norton to do this? If you have kids turning off filters and searching for these subjects in the first place, you already fail as a parent. :rolleyes:

Doesn't take any efforts to turn it off, and you don't necessarily fail as a parent if they do. You're raising children, not guarding prison inmates. All kids are mischievous from time to time.

I wonder if K9 Web Protection will update their software to include Bing.com soon. They protect against disabling Google SafeSearch as well.
 
Doesn't take any efforts to turn it off, and you don't necessarily fail as a parent if they do. You're raising children, not guarding prison inmates. All kids are mischievous from time to time.

I wonder if K9 Web Protection will update their software to include Bing.com soon. They protect against disabling Google SafeSearch as well.

Some people seem to think they are guarding prison inmates, but that is another conversation. My point was that bing.com is not an enabler anymore than any other search engine.
 
Norton also recommends you use their software. Here is the best tool that ever came out of Symantec:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

I have to disagree.

While i haven't used that tool there,I have used nonav which I believe that program uses in the background. I guess it "did" remove the software. however it also removed every single dll and exe off my computer also. along with the entire installed software part of the registry.

So when finished symantec antivirus was off the machine, along with every other single program installed, and most of windows itself.
 
people still use norton?

Crazy

I will admit their new 2009 editions are better.

8MB RAM usage. NOD32 is 45MB or so.

Improved, yes... Track record is what prevents me from using them though.
If Norton continues to stay modern, and NOD32 continues to become more and more bloated, I might consider a switch.
 
I have to disagree.

While i haven't used that tool there,I have used nonav which I believe that program uses in the background. I guess it "did" remove the software. however it also removed every single dll and exe off my computer also. along with the entire installed software part of the registry.

So when finished symantec antivirus was off the machine, along with every other single program installed, and most of windows itself.

Wow, I have run that tool literally hundreds of times, never had that happen to me!
 
Wow, I have run that tool literally hundreds of times, never had that happen to me!

I have ran it a few times under XP before that fine. That was under Vista Business 32-bit.

That is the last time I have ran the program. I'll spend the 10 minutes it takes me to manually remove the program to prevent that from ever happening again.
 
Norton.... lulz. :rolleyes:

The average tech-savvy person is better off with no AV at all rather than using Norton... at least then people don't have a false sense of security.

Wait, the average tech-savvy person doesn't use Norton anyways... :D
 
NIS 2009 is actually pretty great. /shurg One of the highest rated and 'least resource intensive AV programs out there, 2008 was pretty good too, they've been steadily improving for years (ever since the awful 2006 versions). Bashing their current product lineup based on what it was 2-3 years ago just makes you look ignorant. (stupid support ticket suggesting to block Bing notwithstanding)
 
Unfortunately for 90% of parents the fact is your kid is much better then you around the web.
Sounds good for the unintentional surfing 7 year old though
 
How does the unintentional surfing 7 year old get to Bing though? Then again, there was that one article last week of the 5 year old who ordered a $50,000 digger or whatever it was... :p
 
How does the unintentional surfing 7 year old get to Bing though? Then again, there was that one article last week of the 5 year old who ordered a $50,000 digger or whatever it was... :p

They type in bing.com ????

Or their browser was defaulted as Live and thus it went to Bing....
 
Norton also recommends you use their software. Here is the best tool that ever came out of Symantec:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Are people this stupid? Really? It's not like Bing.com is opening some huge hole in the internet that someone couldn't get to before. All they have to do is google the same thing and click a link to see the same video. How much is google paying Norton to do this? If you have kids turning off filters and searching for these subjects in the first place, you already fail as a parent. :rolleyes:

I remember ye olde days of DOS when Norton used to really save you with things like undelete.
 
Norton have been really awful in the past. Though, I haven't tested their latest editions, because of time constrains and I've been really satisfied with NOD32.
 
Norton recommending people block anything....
That's hilarious....:D
 
So I'm not a network admin or anything, but wouldn't it be better to add bing.com/videos to the block list?
 
Norton should just block the internet and leave us alone.

+1.

Seriously Norton, I don't know how comfortable I am with having to "share" my internet experience with people I don't know... in other cities and countries.
 
Some people seem to think they are guarding prison inmates, but that is another conversation. My point was that bing.com is not an enabler anymore than any other search engine.

Presto.

FWIW when my boys get older I relish the challeng of our cat and mouse IT games on the home network. Can they pwn their old man? We shall see.
 
Cat and mouse IT games on the home network? Knowing you're not computer illiterate, they'll either steal the neighbor's WiFi or do anything they don't want you to know about elsewhere (if they're smart). :p
 
Are people this stupid? Really? It's not like Bing.com is opening some huge hole in the internet that someone couldn't get to before. All they have to do is google the same thing and click a link to see the same video. How much is google paying Norton to do this? If you have kids turning off filters and searching for these subjects in the first place, you already fail as a parent. :rolleyes:

Rage much? lol. You are missing the point of the topic.
 
In typical fashion, a misleading headline is posted and then nobody actually reads the article.

Norton is only recommending you block bing.com if you are concerned with your children using it as a proxy to view previously blocked content. Seems like reasonable advice to me.
 
In typical fashion, a misleading headline is posted and then nobody actually reads the article.

Norton is only recommending you block bing.com if you are concerned with your children using it as a proxy to view previously blocked content. Seems like reasonable advice to me.

Hey! There will be no reasonable discourse here! Knee jerk reactions only! :D
 
Yea, you know... Because Google never does any evil :rolleyes:

As shady their practices have gotten it wouldn't surprise me TBH...

I dont know if you noticed or not but google dont exactly need to pull shady shit to stay at the top of the search engine food chain.

Pulling shenanigans that would land their asses in court dont make much sense.
 
Back
Top