No picture on boot.

Daishiknyte

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 24, 2004
Messages
333
I recently added a sata extension card to my computer and a handful of new drives. Now, when I go to boot, I get no picture. From the sound, it seems that the computer is going through boot up.

I've tried everything i could think of, CMOS reset,various combinations of hardware, etc. What makes this even more strange is that I'm getting the same problem with the other motherboard I've tried. 2 motherboards, 2 processors, 6 stick of ram, 4 graphics cards (AGP), and 2 monitors later, I'm getting the same result.

I doubt it is a grounding problem and there were no issues before the sata card.

HELP!

Thanks
 
So if you take the SATA card out of the board, it has no problems booting?

I would imagine that it's some sort of IRQ conflict with the video card.
 
Were you checking the boot order for drives in the BIOS after installing the card?
 
I didnt check boot order or anything. Whats really weird though is that I get the same problem with both motherboards. One of them has noting but the ram, processors, and gfx card when I try. Taking another look, the monitor does not report seeing a signal from the graphics cards.
 
I didnt check boot order or anything. Whats really weird though is that I get the same problem with both motherboards. One of them has noting but the ram, processors, and gfx card when I try. Taking another look, the monitor does not report seeing a signal from the graphics cards.

But if you take just the SATA card out, everything works fine?
 
No picture at all. The monitor doesnt even recognize that it is plugged in. "No signal"
 
Yeah, at first I thought you meant it blanked out after the BIOS POST... But if you're not even seeing that on either machine then it's gonna be pretty hard to trouble-shoot. No clue where you'd even begin unless the card has some sort of jumpers or DIP-switches to configure it.
 
So you're putting down bets that I've managed to toast 2 motherboards in the span of a few hours. Damn, I'm good! :p :(


I'm going to pull it all apart again and start going through it part by part. If I have to I'll break apart my linux comp and use that as a test bed.


Thanks for the help guys.
 
Alright, to make things even more confusing. I pulled out my linux box that I normally remote desktop into and tried sticking a monitor up to it and got the same problem, no picture. Then I tried the monitor on my laptop and it worked fine.

Anyone recommend a company or service to take my stuff into and let them deal with it?
 
i don't know if this will help but i had the same problem. no video during the boot, all the noises but no video. called evga tech help he told me to take the viseo out and just put it in again. then everything worked fine- seems to simple but it worked in my case. he said it was a common problem.
 
Back
Top