NIOH

I felt the same early on. Had a very frustrating time, even with milk run enemies. But when I began to learn and become more confident with the combat mechanics, things got easier. That and leveling up with better armor, weapons, and moves makes a huge difference. It never gets easy, or hasn't yet, but the grueling difficulty has lost some of its edge. Except bosses, they remain excruciatingly tough, but you can summon help against bosses when enough is enough.

Same here. I haven't played any of the Dark Souls games so imagine my shock when I died ten times in the first 20 minutes. I eventually overpowered most of the goons by leveling substantially. It's very hard to just walk through the game progressing naturally. You really need to spend time leveling your character.

For me the most frustrating thing is the stamina mechanic. The recover thing you can do to speed it up really can screw you over if you miss the timing. I like doing the high damage combos but that last button press you have to do or your stamina doesn't recover as fast is a big cause of my deaths. It's just kind of nuts that when you ran out you can't move even slowly but he just stands there breathing hard as an axe comes down at him. Worse is they can combo stun lock you which mean one mistimed button press can kill you even if you are just a little bit hurt.

The only one death that really annoyed me (so far) are the bats. They just all push you off a cliff every time if you don't notice them.

The thing about Nioh (and Dark souls) is that you can make it significantly easier by picking off enemies one by one, which isn't too hard, but it does get tedious.

Went into this game thinking I'd definitely like it because it's similar to the Dark Souls I love... but they're not as similar as I thought. Outside of the whole shrine/bonfire and souls/amrita concepts - the games are very different. I'm at the second boss and the fighting mechanics are just not for me. Way too much focus on Stamina/Ki management and the punishments for draining it is brutal. The depth of the fighting is also a bit much for me - not a fan of switching stances.

It's a great game I'm sure, but didn't click with me at all like Dark Souls does. Thankfully (and sadly) the last Dark Souls 3 DLC just dropped so I can get my fix.

I am liking this game. After many hours of playing and learning all the combat moves and getting familiar with all the different combat accessories like bombs, poison, tailsmen's, buffs, etc. I feel I am gradually growing into a competent player. I will never be great at the game, but I can hold my own and move through the masses of intimidating enemies. I have even managed to take a few of the bosses down solo.

Went into this game thinking I'd definitely like it because it's similar to the Dark Souls I love... but they're not as similar as I thought. Outside of the whole shrine/bonfire and souls/amrita concepts - the games are very different. I'm at the second boss and the fighting mechanics are just not for me. Way too much focus on Stamina/Ki management and the punishments for draining it is brutal. The depth of the fighting is also a bit much for me - not a fan of switching stances.

It's a great game I'm sure, but didn't click with me at all like Dark Souls does. Thankfully (and sadly) the last Dark Souls 3 DLC just dropped so I can get my fix.

I haven't tired it but the theme is like a Feudal Japan Knockoff gone digital.

So, I am the last of the Nioh die hards? Everyone else has moved on...

Not me! When I find a game I like as much as Nioh, I stick with it. I am level 70 something, getting a lot of hours out of this game, and a lot of fun.

Just figured out a major part of the combat, it is called Flux or Fluxing. It is Ki Pulsing with the added move of switching combat stance at the same time. So for example, I open my attack in mid stance, then while my opponent is stunned, blocking my attacks, I Ki Pulse for stamina and at the same time hit triangle to switch right into high stance. When you do this your next attack is a powerful high stance attack that really does a lot of damage!

Low stance is good too. I use it for enemies close to the ground, like spiders. It is also good for dodging quickly and getting behind enemies.

I am changing stances much more than when I first started playing. I used to stay in mid stance almost all the time and focus on Ki Pulsing, dodging and blocking. Now I am using all the stances much more. Also been practicing parry, which seems harder to time perfectly than Dark Souls. It might be because the combat and animations are so much faster in Nioh than Souls.

Last edited:
You really have to think about armor/gear in Nioh. What you wear has a huge impact on your ability to MOVE. And being able to move in this game --- dart, dodge, run, skidaddle, is critical. There is no shield in this game, you block with your weapon or your hands. So a lot of defence comes from your gear. However gear that comes high in defensive stats is HEAVY. It will knock you down from an A tier ability mover to a B or C tier. Not good. Some of these enemies can hit HARD. So regardless of your armor they will take a chunk of health off you with one hit. So my strategy has been... avoid getting hit! Which translates into light armor. You can hit just as hard wearing light armor because your weapon has the stats, but you can also move out of the way, RIGHT NOW, when you need to. I have been wearing only armor that keeps me in the A category for agility. I even played without foot armor for a while ( barefoot ) because equipping any at all would have knocked me down to B agility.

Back