NIOH

anyone picking this up?...I hear it's even harder then the Souls games in terms of boss fights

the game lets you select from three visual settings, whether played on a normal PS4 or a more powerful "Pro" console: higher resolution, higher frame rate, or splitting the difference...Pro systems get higher resolutions across the board, while all systems can run at either 60 or 30 frames per second

My eyes need a break no way am I going to pick this up last thing I need to to stare at some Hard Japanese monsters made in Japan.

They have this game at Walmart if you want a Hard Copy.

I'll probably end up grabbing it later in the month. I'm hoping to verify if you can remap the controls to match Dark Souls better.

The combat progression in this game is way better than Souls and it's derivatives. The comparison should really be made to the Ninja Gaiden series developed by the same team, though they're piggy-backing on Souls's popularity with the respawn mechanics so they might get what they deserve when it comes to unwarranted and detrimental comparisons to Souls in terms of environments and gameplay possibilities.

Looks good but it has that same vibe alot of Japanese action games doesn't feel like authentic Japanese lore. Just comes off kinda werid...

Game still might be good just not going to take the chance on it.

Last edited:
Semi-on/off-topic but here's a petition for people who want to experience NIOH if you don't own a PS4
https://www.change.org/p/koei-tecmo-bring-nioh-to-pc

I owned a PS4 but sold it. In some ways I'm kicking myself for selling it due to a bunch of good games but I'll live. Hopefully this is an enjoyable game for everyone (makes me think of Devil May Cry 4 & The Witcher 3 got mixed into this).

I don't mind it personally, but I fully understand why many (maybe even most) players don't like it. Dark Souls is hard as hell and lots of people simply don't have the time or desire to do everything the hard way. Yet I think they should be able to experience as much as the game as possible. After all, it's one of the few games where you don't see all of the good stuff in the first hour.
If NIOH has a ton of content, I'm game for an easy mode, "ninja dog" mode, or some way to summon as many people as possible to help.

Semi-on/off-topic but here's a petition for people who want to experience NIOH if you don't own a PS4
https://www.change.org/p/koei-tecmo-bring-nioh-zto-pc

I owned a PS4 but sold it. In some ways I'm kicking myself for selling it due to a bunch of good games but I'll live. Hopefully this is an enjoyable game for everyone (makes me think of Devil May Cry 4 & The Witcher 3 got mixed into this).
Oh yes cause Petitioning always work. They might not even be able to bring it to PC due to a exclusive contract to with Sony. If so a Petition useless.

Players are angry because to summon a friend for a stage or boss fight now requires that the friend has beaten the level before.
https://www.vg247.com/2017/02/08/th...how-co-op-works-and-people-are-not-having-it/

players are angry moreso because they changed the way summoning worked from the betas...most people played the betas expecting the final version to remain the same in terms of key features...if the betas had shown summoning the way it worked in the final game then the outcry would not be as bad...I can understand why people are angry

players are angry moreso because they changed the way summoning worked from the betas...most people played the betas expecting the final version to remain the same in terms of key features...if the betas had shown summoning the way it worked in the final game then the outcry would not be as bad...I can understand why people are angry

Beta means beta. People need to get over it.

Oh yes cause Petitioning always work. They might not even be able to bring it to PC due to a exclusive contract to with Sony. If so a Petition useless.

Doesn't hurt to try & NIOH is owned my Koei Tecmo, while a game like Bloodborne is owned by Sony. In the end, if it doesn't happen, no big deal. I just figured I'd be informative.

Anyone playing this on a Pro ? Was considering getting one and moving the PS4 I have to one of the kids rooms. Wondered how the 60 fps option seemed on this one.

Overall it works good on the Pro. Also using an SSD and I barely notice any load times. My one major complaint is the game is dark. I turned up brightness, playing it at night with the lights off, and can still barely see where I'm going half the time.

Anyone playing this on a Pro ? Was considering getting one and moving the PS4 I have to one of the kids rooms. Wondered how the 60 fps option seemed on this one.

They say 60fps "for the most part is extremely stable."

Just having the 60fps option immediately piqued my interest.

I hear they nerfed the difficulty compared to what it was in the alpha...apparently the alpha was brutally difficult

Can't hold out any longer, downloading right now!! :)

Be pretty busy this week, but I will get some time to play with it. Epic name bro and Rurikahn are doing a blind playthrough on YouTube and both say the game is great. I just hope I can handle the difficulty.

Played some tonight. Game is real tight with fast combat. Faster than Bloodborne. Nothing like Souls combat. It is Team Ninja, and they are back, baby! Only played it for an hour or so and I can tell already this is a quality title. It does have a Souls vibe, but more in appearance than combat. Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha are peeking through just as much. This is a good action RPG. Glad I hopped off the fence and bought it. As far as difficulty it is not bad so far. Just have to pay attention to the enemies and try and take one at a time. The tougher ones can 2 shot me, but if I am careful and smart, not greedy or impatient, I won't get 2 shotted.

Played some tonight. Game is real tight with fast combat. Faster than Bloodborne. Nothing like Souls combat. It is Team Ninja, and they are back, baby! Only played it for an hour or so and I can tell already this is a quality title. It does have a Souls vibe, but more in appearance than combat. Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha are peeking through just as much. This is a good action RPG. Glad I hopped off the fence and bought it. As far as difficulty it is not bad so far. Just have to pay attention to the enemies and try and take one at a time. The tougher ones can 2 shot me, but if I am careful and smart, not greedy or impatient, I won't get 2 shotted.

I love the fluidity of combat. I'm so glad they managed 60fps out of this.

sounds good...anytime a game invokes Bloodborne comparisons it's high praise indeed

if I still had my PS4 I'd be all over this game...I've been watching some YouTube playthrough videos and the game looks like a lot of fun...I don't like the art style and environment as much as the Souls games but it definitely shares other similarities

Been trying for 3 nights to get out of the starting prison. That boss always stuffs me. I can see others on YouTube make it look straight forward enough. Oh well.

[
Been trying for 3 nights to get out of the starting prison. That boss always stuffs me. I can see others on YouTube make it look straight forward enough. Oh well.

WOW that sucks I had a problem for about a dozen tries with the Dark Souls 3 starting Boss.

I finally got out of the starting prison. The combat is very intricate. 3 different stances to cycle through, weapon swapng, even mid combat if you want, Ki management during battle, blocking, dodging, strong attacks, light attacks.Then there is this demon mode that transforms you into a formidable foe until it times out. All this stuff is available as you are fighting. Oh, then there is a finishing move for downed enemies and a plunge attack to use when appropriate. That is a lot to keep track of while you are battling for your life! Managing Ki is especially important because when you run out of it your ability to block or fight is suspended, leaving you a sitting duck until some of it is restored. And it is more than just keeping an eye on the Ki meter. Ki is restored manually as you fight, but only if you time the command properly. Not saying it is not fun, but it is the most intricate combat system I have ever encountered. It might be overload. I dunno, haven't played enough to make a decision on that.

Only dabbled in it , as got a new Pro and got it setup , been playing For Honor and Exiles , plus Warships on the PC , so I only a little time to try it output.

But action mode , 60fps, has spoiled me now , as it felt immediately better than Bloodborne ( reason I got a PS4 originality for) to me.

Really hoping this becomes expected and normal for games in he future.

why isn't this thread more active?...I hear great things about the game...seems to be going under the radar here at [H]

why isn't this thread more active?...I hear great things about the game...seems to be going under the radar here at [H]

The combat on this game is phenomenal. 60fps has a lot to do with this. Very fluid and fast. And yes, it's a very challenging game. I can't count how many times I've died.

Only dabbled in it , as got a new Pro and got it setup , been playing For Honor and Exiles , plus Warships on the PC , so I only a little time to try it output.

But action mode , 60fps, has spoiled me now , as it felt immediately better than Bloodborne ( reason I got a PS4 originality for) to me.

Really hoping this becomes expected and normal for games in he future.

60fps is a must for a game like this. I too immediately noticed an improvement over Bloodborne.

After spending more time with this game I must say, it is pretty dang good. Hands down the best combat in any 3rd person RPG I have ever played. Deep, challenging, ( read, hard as nails ) fast, smooth, fair. I love the range weapons too. Head shot with the bow or gun and they explode like a watermelon, ha ha. Yea, and they all deserve it too!

For real though, the game is hard. Not only the combat, but skills, abilities, options, items; there is a lot to wrap your head around in order to comprehend all the gameplay. I still don't have it all figured out. But it is fun learning!

I finally got the game rented and am trying it out and I have to say it's really good. It's very hard kind of like dark souls and there is a very intricate weapon upgrading system that I don't get yet. The ki management thing is also weird as it adds a button press to the end of your moves if you want the ki gauge to recover faster but I find I forget it almost immediately when I am fighting and just Dark Souls play the game and ignore the feature. This game feels like a keeper to me. :)

I am on a vanilla PS4 and it runs decently but it would be great if it was on PC. Unfortunately it is a Tecmo/Team Ninja game so I'd rather it never show up on PC if they are just going to port it as half assed as they did Dead or Alive 5 and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3. They'd lock it at 1080p like both those games and give you some kind of token "options" that don't work right or are problematic at best and then say they'll fix it but then never get to it and just ignore the PC problems after a fiscal quarter.

Playing Nioh in tandem with Horizon Zero Dawn. Both so good, what a year for game releases and it is only March!

I got frustrated and traded the game in. I really like the environments and the action, however I just wasn't having fun with the deaths. Way too many one shot mechanics in the game for me.

Souls deaths didn't bother me much, in Nioh I was dead all the freakin time and getting pissed. Just put a freaking difficulty setting in the game, aaarrrggghhh.

I got frustrated and traded the game in. I really like the environments and the action, however I just wasn't having fun with the deaths. Way too many one shot mechanics in the game for me.

Souls deaths didn't bother me much, in Nioh I was dead all the freakin time and getting pissed. Just put a freaking difficulty setting in the game, aaarrrggghhh.

I felt the same early on. Had a very frustrating time, even with milk run enemies. But when I began to learn and become more confident with the combat mechanics, things got easier. That and leveling up with better armor, weapons, and moves makes a huge difference. It never gets easy, or hasn't yet, but the grueling difficulty has lost some of its edge. Except bosses, they remain excruciatingly tough, but you can summon help against bosses when enough is enough.

Back