Nioh: Complete Edition

LOL poor developers just trying to push out a game I personally just wanted the attack moves on the Lower bumpers then again I didn't buy the game.

The game reminds me a lot of the first Dark Souls release. Poor performance on beastly systems, shaky support for different control schemes, but the game at least seems stable.
As a pad player, my issues aren't as bad, but I've noticed that if you rebind anything (especially confirm/dodge), none of the in-game prompts reflect that at all. I'm essentially pressing the opposite button the game tells me to press constantly.
Playing the game in 4K is a pipe dream unless you like 30fps, too.

Hopefully this update will fix the button prompts. While the game is a disaster at 4K, it runs rather well at 1080p. That's at least acceptable.

finally I can now buy the game...but I'm still going to wait for confirmation that they implemented the kb/m options correctly

Probably worth noting - that article's URL says "December 30th" but the patch is actually due on November 30th. Initially I wondered what was taking them so long :p

Update Information 1.21.03 (11/30/2017) ※Patch 1.21.03 has been released.
NOVEMBER 27 - TEAM NINJA
http://steamcommunity.com/games/485510/announcements/detail/1464096684952531939

- Added camera/action controls for mice.

- Added customizable key bindings for keyboards.

- Fixed an issue with analogue stick sensitivity.

- Fixed an issue that would occasionally cause an error to occur when matchmaking at Torii Gates.

- Fixed other miscellaneous bugs.

###

Hopefully those misc. bugs include fixing the onscreen prompts to coincide with the correct button mapping.

...and no they didn't bother to fix the on-screen prompts. I guess the PS4 controller people unsuccessfully asked for PS4 button prompts, too.
These things seem pretty trivial (in terms of difficulty) compared to most game fixes.

from what I'm hearing they did a good job implementing the kb/m controls...

This is actually a pretty cool game, but the on-screen prompts being incorrect is driving me nuts. Some are a little off and I can deal with it. Yet others aren't right even based on the defaults.
I remapped the attacks to the shoulder buttons (like Dark Souls) and made dodge "B" (again like Dark Souls) and the game doesn't seem to know what to make of that at all. Gameplay works fine, but the menus are a mess of right, wrong, and who knows what.

I've forced myself just to ignore the on-screen prompts and am having a really good time. It's definitely similar to Dark Souls, but it's a bit faster paced (a la Bloodborne) and the stances add some nuance. I find myself sticking to slower weapons and the heavy stance, but I'm learning that definitely doesn't always work well. The fact that you can get totally gassed and lose your stamina from certain enemies takes some getting used to.
Have made it to the first real boss (on the ship) and it's definitely a challenge. If for no other reason than he has the ability to drain your stamina and 1-shot you in phase 2.

he has the ability to drain your stamina
All the yokai in the game can do that, not only bosses. Pay attention to the black smoke circle they leave on the ground, while standing in it your Ki (stamina) regen will be almost zero. If you don't have the room to avoid them, then you should use the Ki Pulse ability to get rid of them. While standing inside a circle, use some stamina (for eg a melee attack), then watch the white-bar inside the stamina bar. When it almost reaches it's maximum press R1 (with an xbox controller it's RB) and you should see your stamina bar instantly regen. Most players use the passive skill which allows a Ki Pulse to take place whenever they dash, so they don't need to use the R1/RB button to do it.

PS. you don't need to watch the stamina bar, there is also a faint particle effect around your character if I remember correctly. You can practice Ki Pulsing without needing to actually hit an enemy.

All the yokai in the game can do that, not only bosses. Pay attention to the black smoke circle they leave on the ground, while standing in it your Ki (stamina) regen will be almost zero. If you don't have the room to avoid them, then you should use the Ki Pulse ability to get rid of them. While standing inside a circle, use some stamina (for eg a melee attack), then watch the white-bar inside the stamina bar. When it almost reaches it's maximum press R1 (with an xbox controller it's RB) and you should see your stamina bar instantly regen. Most players use the passive skill which allows a Ki Pulse to take place whenever they dash, so they don't need to use the R1/RB button to do it.

PS. you don't need to watch the stamina bar, there is also a faint particle effect around your character if I remember correctly. You can practice Ki Pulsing without needing to actually hit an enemy.

I'm definitely getting better with the pulses. Lots of practicing with the various slain fighters has helped me improve with lots of techniques. How do those work anyway? It seems like they're at least the stats of other players, but I can't really tell if someone else is actually playing or not. The AI seems to vary things up either way. I think I've won all but one fight with them sans one where I got surrounded by other enemies, too. Ki pulsing seems to be key to fighting since you can kinda sorta keep the attacks flowing with the right timing.
Fun game.
Now that I've finally learned the control scheme, it doesn't really matter if the prompts are all wrong. I ended up going with R1 and R2 to attack, L1 to Block, L2 to use the bow, B to dodge, and Y to pulse. Not quite Dark Souls (thanks to the pulsing and stances) but close enough.

How is this game in terms of difficulty, compared to Dark Souls? I'm a big sissy and and easily frustrated.

I don't necessarily mind hard combat or having to try a few times to beat a boss, more the losing progress and having to redo things multiple times to make it back to said boss. Does that game do this?

Last edited:
How is this game in terms of difficulty, compared to Dark Souls?
Definitely more difficult, but like the Souls games it feels fair (most of the time). It's tough to compare difficulty because what actually made this game difficult for me was the muscle memory of bad habits from the Souls games, like expecting a bunch of invincibility frames on dashing/dodging. Bad habits in a Souls game (like excessively relying on blocking) can be a good habit in this game (where blocking is very very helpful in many scenarios).

The third boss in this game, is the toughest boss in the game (or close to it); Team Ninja probably put that boss there specifically as a wall, if you make it past it then you'll probably enjoy the rest of the game.

having to redo things multiple times to make it back to said boss. Does that game do this?
Most bosses have a shortcut to easily get back to them after dying - and not all mobs respawn so often you can make it back without needing to fight a single mob.

Definitely more difficult, but like the Souls games it feels fair (most of the time). It's tough to compare difficulty because what actually made this game difficult for me was the muscle memory of bad habits from the Souls games, like expecting a bunch of invincibility frames on dashing/dodging. Bad habits in a Souls game (like excessively relying on blocking) can be a good habit in this game (where blocking is very very helpful in many scenarios).

The third boss in this game, is the toughest boss in the game (or close to it); Team Ninja probably put that boss there specifically as a wall, if you make it past it then you'll probably enjoy the rest of the game.

Most bosses have a shortcut to easily get back to them after dying - and not all mobs respawn so often you can make it back without needing to fight a single mob.

Thanks. I was going to give the PC version a shot but the 100GB requirement and mouse/keyboard problems are a turn off. I think I'll grab it on the cheap for PS4 instead.

How is this game in terms of difficulty, compared to Dark Souls? I'm a big sissy and and easily frustrated.

I don't necessarily mind hard combat or having to try a few times to beat a boss, more the losing progress and having to redo things multiple times to make it back to said boss. Does that game do this?

I'm not super far, but I'd say it's comparable thus far. It's faster and there are more things to worry about like stances and Ki pulsing. There are also unlockable attacks and techniques as well.

When you get right down to it, it's a very similar game. You can remap the controls to more or less match, too.
For anyone who has put in some serious Dark Souls time, I'd actually suggest that. The on-screen button prompts don't match your buttons, but you'll get used to that quickly enough. You'll have all of that down pat by the end of the first "real" mission. Beats trying to fight your muscle memory from 1000+ hours of DS games.

I will definitely be getting this now that they fixed the kb/m controls...I was going to say that I need something to scratch my Dark Souls fix in 2017 but I forgot that the DS3 Ringed City DLC released in early 2017...seems longer...either way this sounds like a fun game although I am curious to hear what people think once they get further into the game...I hear the non-boss enemies and environment get very repetitive

so lots of people are talking about this. has anyone actually played it on the PC?

so lots of people are talking about this. has anyone actually played it on the PC?

I have it. I think it's a pretty great game hiding under an unpolished exterior. It runs like a million bucks at 1080p/60 or 4K/30 (just like the PS4 Pro) but it very clearly wasn't meant to do any better than that. I cranked both my CPU and GPU as high as they'll reasonably go and saw virtually no improvements at 4K.
There are 7 control schemes available, none of which are overly different from one another. Yet you CAN remap your controls however you want. Just be aware that the in-game prompts won't acknowledge any of it and your controls change for literally everything.
Once you get past those two things, it's a good game. People who enjoyed Dark Souls and Bloodborne (possibly the Witcher 3, too) will be right at home. It's fun and challenging. I've had no technical issues either. I don't expect it to ever play at 4K/60 with current hardware, but the prompts might eventually be fixed one way or another.

the button prompts don't really matter to me...it only matters very early on when you're getting used to the controls but as with any game once you get a feel for it then it becomes a natural reflex...if you need to always look at the button prompts in a Souls type of game then you're wasting valuable milliseconds that can be better used to dodge, roll, block etc

the button prompts don't really matter to me...it only matters very early on when you're getting used to the controls but as with any game once you get a feel for it then it becomes a natural reflex...if you need to always look at the button prompts in a Souls type of game then you're wasting valuable milliseconds that can be better used to dodge, roll, block etc

The main thing about this game is that it affect the menus and misc. screens as well. It's really easy to make a major error in the menu screens because the buttons it shows don't match yours.

The main thing about this game is that it affect the menus and misc. screens as well. It's really easy to make a major error in the menu screens because the buttons it shows don't match yours.

how do the bosses, level design, enemy types, atmosphere, combat compare to the Souls games?...does Nioh do anything better?

how do the bosses, level design, enemy types, atmosphere, combat compare to the Souls games?...does Nioh do anything better?

I'm not far enough in to say for sure, but the combat is quite similar. Each weapon has 3 stances (rather than 2) and they control and feel natural for anyone who likes the Souls games. There are also additional techniques that you can learn (involving parries and guard-breaks) that add additional depth. Ditto with the method of restoring your stamina via the "Ki pulse" at certain times between your attacks.
Enemies thus far don't seem as deadly overall, but some of that is my experience with the Souls games. I almost never find myself dying to anything less than a mini boss just because I'm savvy about going slowly and never letting enemies group up.

Patch 1.21.04

- Fixed an issue where proper textures were not used in certain cutscenes in the missions "Isle of Demons" and "Deep in the Shadows".

- Fixed an issue in which you would accidentally consume shortcut items if you move using the keyboard during black screen

http://steamcommunity.com/games/485510/announcements/detail/1464097572637353711

Koei Tecmo is really doing a great job releasing patches for this...after hearing so many bad things about their PC ports and lack of support I was prepared for the worst but they've really taken a pro-active approach with the PC version of Nioh

As I'm getting further into the game, I'm noticing that it gets easier...just like the Souls and Bloodborne games. You have more health, better gear, better stats, more experience, etc. vs. the same types of enemies.
Bosses are still super tough (just like Souls/Borne) but I find myself going long stretches without feeling the constant urge to run back and save or level up.
I do hope they'll fix the remapping issues at some point, though. The fact that all of the menu buttons change, too, is ridiculous.

Got about 90 minutes to play last night and more or less blew through an entire level only dying once. I'd definitely say the difficulty has been on the decline. Nothing even 2-shots me and I can swing/ki-burst repeatedly, which seems to be the biggest key to doing well.
There was a vampire boss that I struggled with a bit earlier, but after that it's been downhill. She was able to 1-shot me and stun me repeatedly, but nothing else even comes close.

As I'm progressing, I'm starting to feel like I'm doing the same things over and over. While the stances offer additional depth, there aren't very many weapon types and additional drops don't actually modify the movesets. Long story short, it seems like I'll be using the same two weapons and doing mostly the same things indefinitely.
I've been using the same two swords (with some damage and status upgrades along the way) seemingly forever. I kill every Revenant I see and while they regularly drop better armor, I almost never see any better weapons. The blacksmith can't make anything better either. In dealing with Revenants, the Dark Souls concept of "poise" seems to be key. I mainly use the Odachi (large sword) and heavy gear. I blow right through the pitter patter attacks from most weapons. It's probably doing me no favors against the larger enemies, but it slaughters humanoids like mad.
On the plus side, it's still fun to play. The level design can be a little bland on occasion, but it can occasionally be phenomenal as well.

As I'm progressing, I'm starting to feel like I'm doing the same things over and over. While the stances offer additional depth, there aren't very many weapon types and additional drops don't actually modify the movesets. Long story short, it seems like I'll be using the same two weapons and doing mostly the same things indefinitely.
On the plus side, it's still fun to play. The level design can be a little bland on occasion, but it can occasionally be phenomenal as well.

exactly what I kept hearing about the game which had me concerned and hesitant to buy...seems like the game gets very repetitive after the first few hours with the same basic enemy types, level design etc

It's probably worth $20 in this state. The busted prompts and repetitious gameplay don't make the game bad, they just mean it isn't as good as it could be.
It does feel like a ton of people are playing it, though. Whenever someone dies they leave a little grave and you can choose to fight them with whatever gear they had equipped. Some are canned, but there are huge sections with dozens upon dozens of them.

is there pvp in this game where players can invade others like in Dark Souls?

Honestly, I can't figure that much out. There's an option in the menu for it, but whatever you have to do in order to unlock it I guess I haven't accomplished. Either that or there's a setting I haven't mesed with. You can summon other players (for help) via any shrine...aka. the game's version of bonfires, though.

Most of your interactions with other players seem to be tied to their gravestones where they have died. When you interact with their graves, you can see how they died, their level, and (roughly) what kind of gear they were carrying. You can then choose to fight an AI "ghost" of them and potentially get some of the gear they were carrying. So far that's far and away the best way to get new weapons and armor. At the same time, they're rarely difficult. I have a sequence with the Odachi (greatsword) that either kills or armor breaks anyone I've encountered. It also super armors through like 90% of whatever they do, too.

Most of your interactions with other players seem to be tied to their gravestones where they have died. When you interact with their graves, you can see how they died, their level, and (roughly) what kind of gear they were carrying. You can then choose to fight an AI "ghost" of them and potentially get some of the gear they were carrying. So far that's far and away the best way to get new weapons and armor. At the same time, they're rarely difficult. I have a sequence with the Odachi (greatsword) that either kills or armor breaks anyone I've encountered. It also super armors through like 90% of whatever they do, too.

is it the actual player you're fighting?...if it's not that difficult then maybe it's not the actual player but just the AI...that would suck...I love the invasion aspect of Dark Souls

is it the actual player you're fighting?...if it's not that difficult then maybe it's not the actual player but just the AI...that would suck...I love the invasion aspect of Dark Souls

It's definitely an AI. Apparently there is some way to play PvP (per the Nioh wiki) but it's not like Dark Souls invasions. It sounds more like an arena mode. I'd imagine certain sequences would be overpowering even against a real person. Because of the poise they give the heavier weapons and armor, a Havel-type seems inherently better than a speed build. Kind of like Lords of the Fallen.
The game occasionally makes the graves psuedo-invade you whether you touch them or not, but it's still AI.

Back