Nioh 2

I haven't been home for two nights so, just now getting to download this. Will probably create a character tonight and mess around a bit. Then really dig in tomorrow ;)

Well, this is definitely way different than Dark Souls. I can't say I'm having an easy time figuring out how to avoid damage. Steep learning curve for me. However, not discouraged! There's also a whole lot more to learn about upgrades and stats and whatnot, compared to Dark Souls. Definitely a little overwhelming.

Seems to run well for me. I have an RTX 2060 and an i5 7600k with 16GB of DDR4 3000mhz. If I set the game at 60hz and 1440p, its basically locked at 60 unless I get hit hard by a large enemy, then the framerate tanks on those heavy hits, for some reason. However, the game has a certain snappyness to it, which makes the frame dips not seem as detrimental.
sometimes I will happen upon a spot which causes some stutter for some reason. But if I move just a couple of feet away, no stutter. But that's only if I'm moving slowly and basically looking for problems. Not noticeable when actually running around or fighting. Overall, happy with the performance on my system. Seems appropriate considering its not an amazing looking game. Just a solid looking game. I feel like a patch will probably cleanup the weird dips.

120hz mode seems to be sapping my GPU's bandwidth, as it will frequently dip into the 40's for no discernable reason.

Last edited:
Just block the attacks it's easy on a controller just left or right bumper or it might be mapped on the buttons on the controller.

being that Nioh 2 is a prequel it sounds like playing Nioh 2 first (before the first game) might actually be the best way to play

I'm a bit at odds with the combat, at least in the early game.

There's little sense of connecting my hits or blocking. And if I'm not using an axe or switch glave in mid or high stance (big, powerful weapons, higher damage stances)----fights with enemies take a long time. Such that I really have to focus on perfection to outlast a fight when I'm using a katana, etc. And the low stance seems to be something to avoid, in general. Way too weak.

I still haven't had a chance to play this one yet, but the low stance wasn't particularly great in the first game, either. I think it could very much be weapon-dependent, though. Pretty sure the only time I used it was for a specific sequence that tacked on 1-2 more hits or something like that. For my style I found it far more important to focus on the Ki-recharge function. Once I got good at that, the heavy-blow sequences from the high stance became relentless. I'd either hurt them badly outright or guard break them and land a critical hit.

I'm coming around more on the combat. I'm clicking more with the general feel and flow of it. I also read a tip which helped a lot:

Immediately after you are hit, you can't dodge away. But if you tap the block button, you can then dodge away.

More on the technical stuff:

I feel like even at max settings, the game isn't using 16x AF or the implementation is sub par. Textures seem a bit muddy and the level of detail drops off pretty quick. I forced 16x AF in my Nvidia driver control panel and that seems to have brought a small but noticeable improvement in general texture clarity, as well as distance.
Shadow distance is really low. I tried to find some .ini files to tweak it, but I couldn't find anything obvious.

I tried 120hz mode with 1080p and it works pretty well. However, there is no Anti-Aliasing of any kind in this game. So, it looks a little rougher than it should. I get a locked 60fps at 1440p (until a boss hits me), so that's where I will leave it.

Setting effects quality to "low" helps with some of the performance dips and doesn't seem to affect the visuals. But there are still dips when being hit by large enemies. Hopefully they can patch that with a performance fix and maybe even make an difference in visuals?

Apparently the PC release of Nioh 2 quadrupled the player numbers on Steam, compared to Nioh 1. So that's pretty cool!

Last edited:
AO pop-in is horrible in this game. They should have extended the AO range further for PC.

this seems like a game where it'll take some time getting used to and mastering the combat (especially coming from the Souls games)...I'm looking forward to playing this but I'm going to wait for a few patches

Nioh 2- The Complete Edition will receive multiple updates in February and March that will address some of the most common issues currently found in the game...with a new post on Steam, it has been confirmed that the development team is currently working on updates that will introduce bug fixes, Nvidia DLSS support, and keyboard and mouse prompts...

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1325200/view/3051721340907125629

I'm still hoping to give it a go in the next day or two. I figure I should have the horsepower to brute force passable framerates. At least if that's even possible. There's also a resolution scale option, which is my favorite way to trade quality for performance.

I'm still hoping to give it a go in the next day or two. I figure I should have the horsepower to brute force passable framerates. At least if that's even possible. There's also a resolution scale option, which is my favorite way to trade quality for performance.
I think it's a matter of not at all taking advantage of new/powerful hardware. It runs fine on my RTX 2060 and 7600k, aside from some dips during big enemy moves, which do need to be smoothed out. But essentially, I get a locked 60fps at 1440p or 100 - 120fps at 1080p.

Thanks to everyone who purchased Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition.

We have heard your comments over the past few days about various issues found inside the game. We are taking all of your messages into account and are actively working on several updates planned to release during February and March to fix these issues.

The content of the upcoming updates include:
- Several bug fixes
- Improvement of the performance of the game via the integration of DLSS
- The addition of keyboard & mouse prompts

Thank you for supporting the Nioh series!

Ugh. The fact that you can't remap the action button is killing me. That's the dodge button in every sane game. I hate, hate, hate when games do this. They're being different just for the sake of being different. I'm finding the controls to be kind of convoluted this time around in general. There are just too many weird toggles and the tutorial doesn't actually explain why you'd want to do anything.
On the performance end of things, particle effects seem to cause a stutter effect. It isn't unbearable, but it's annoying.
I know I'm going to end up playing this at some point, but now I'm tempted to wait for the patch and see what happens.

I think the controls are fine.

I think they lock down the action button, because if say on a playstation controller, you swapped X and O in Nioh 2: you'd have a much harder time combining Triangle and X, than you do Triangle and O.

controls are very similar to Devil May Cry 3

Last edited:
They have already started bug fixes today:

Two issues reported to us have now been fixed:

• Fixed an issue where there would sometimes be no sound in-game depending on the user's PC environment.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause the game to crash during the cut scene before the first boss.

For any users that experienced this problem, please restart your game as an important file will be installed in order to correct these issues.

20210210082811_1.jpg

I finished Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3 save file was corupted stopped playing but still finished.

Nioh 1 gave up on bosses too hard
Sekiro gave up on I still have my save file the level design is just confusing gave up.

Thank you for playing Nioh 2 - The Complete Edition.

The game was updated to the 1.25.1 version, you can find the changes of this version below:

・The confirmation button can now be changed from “Controls”

・Fixed an issue where the lock-on target would switch when the mouse was moved, even if the “Move Camera/Switch Lock-On Target” setting was changed to an option other than “Move Mouse” in “Keyboard & Mouse Settings”.

・Fixed an issue where the mouse sensitivity could become so high that it became impossible to change the settings

・Fixed an issue which sometimes prevented the selection of certain resolutions and caused the game screen to be cut off due to the Windows settings

・Fixed an issue which made the game prone to crashing in certain environments
 ※ If the game repeatedly crashes in a specific place, please try the following:
  ・Right-click on “Nioh 2 Complete Edition” in the Steam client ⇒ “Properties” ⇒ “Local File” ⇒ “Verify Integrity of Game Files”

・Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when displaying the descriptions of equipment special effects.

・Alleviated the issue where the frame rate tended to drop when "Effect Quality" was set to "High" in "Graphics Settings".
※We are continuing to investigate and address this issue

・Reduced the tendency for the game to run slowly when certain attacks hit the walls

・Fixed an issue that caused black bars to appear on the left and right sides of the screen during multiplayer on ultra-wide monitors.

Thank you for your continuous support.

The game was updated to the 1.25.1 version, you can find the changes of this version below:

they still haven't fixed the mouse cursor remaining on screen issue?...what was the default 'Action' button when using KB/M- 'Enter' key?

Ooooooh, if confirmation can now be changed, I can probably enjoy this now. I have too many hours of muscle memory built up.

EDIT: That has zero effect on the ability to remap the O/B buttons in-game. It's just for the menus. Weak.

Last edited:
This game is really difficult later on =) I mean harder than Sekiro it's not worth it..... Once I got to to the Horse Boss I downloaded Flings trainer I was only level 6 and no way was I going to grind.

This game is really difficult later on =) I mean harder than Sekiro it's not worth it..... Once I got to to the Horse Boss I downloaded Flings trainer I was only level 6 and no way was I going to grind.

it's worth it...that's a huge appeal of games like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Nioh etc- the difficulty curve...not many games offer a real challenge which is why I love them...if you need to use cheats and trainers then why even bother playing...the games seem too difficult for you

I just don't have the time to grind otherwise I would play it like It's meant to be played.

I just don't have the time to grind otherwise I would play it like It's meant to be played.

Why don't you summon help? On my first playthrough of a Souls like game I just summon help if a boss is too difficult. On my NG+ playthrough I do it solo.

All of the guys I summoned died lol except for one guy who was overleveled but he died on the horse fight.

If you're coming from the Souls series you'll probably have a harder time at first due to trying to use your iframes-on-dodge/roll as your primary avoidance mechanic, but in the Nioh games you need to know when to block instead of dodging. Blocking in this game is very useful, as you can safely block many dangerous attacks (even big boss swings) that are very difficult to dodge. The game is playable without blocking, but way way more difficult.

it's worth it...that's a huge appeal of games like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Nioh etc- the difficulty curve...not many games offer a real challenge which is why I love them...if you need to use cheats and trainers then why even bother playing...the games seem too difficult for you
Definitely. I think it took me 30-40 tries to beat Iudex Gundyr in Dark Souls III despite having played the prior two games, and he is the first boss in that game.

I started over deleted my cheated save I tired using a Katana instead and blocking having better luck with enemies. I was using the Kurarigama but I was just spamming it basically and run out of energy Kursarigama it works good for Reverant fights but not so much for bosses and mini bosses.
I was doging stuff like in Dark Souls which wastes energy.

20210217154024_1.jpg

Level 9 area looks like something in Rift.

20210217152720_1.jpg

Kicked his butt on the 1st try Level 7 I didn't know you could summon at the Shrine and another players ghost.

Last edited:
I didn't have much time to play tonight. but I did manage a few minutes to try out DLSS. Actually, I had to re-download the game. The steam update bugged out for some reason and was hammering my storage throughput for minutes, but the progress was stuck at about half.. So I just uninstalled and re-installed.

The DLSS Image quality actually seems favorable. It gives you an Anti-Aliasing solution (the long hair on some helmets looks great, for example. Before, it was noticeably jaggy). And I don't otherwise notice any major visual drawbacks. It seems like the overall image may be a touch softer. But I need to actually do some real, direct comparison. Nice boost to 1440p framerate for my RTX2060, as well.

Was there a patch for the game that also enabled DLSS or do those drivers just turn it on automatically? I'm not seeing any game updates.

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like they added it in a previous patch. I bumped the quality settings to the max and it seems to run better. Will have to see if DLSS quality vs. performance/balanced makes a major difference. I'm still hoping someone comes up with a decent solution for remapping the action button, but I'm going to end up playing this game soon one way or another. If it runs really well now, that's half the battle right there.

Last edited:
Back