Nioh 2

CDKeys has this deeply discounted at 44% off, or $38. I know they have just about everything discounted, but that's about as low as they go at launch.

I'm tempted to pick up Nioh 2 at launch...I never played the first game as certain aspects of the gameplay turned me off but this looks to be a more refined version...I do hear there's a lot of inventory management (which I hate) and I also don't like that each area is not part of a seamless world (like Dark Souls) but instead accessed through the map as a separate section

I'm buying this for the Waifu one thing I really liked with the 1st game is the special ability I had no idea they put something so cool in this game.
You can choose between 1-3 specials and switch them off at the shrine. Also plan on playing Multiplayer when possible.

I'm tempted to pick up Nioh 2 at launch...I never played the first game as certain aspects of the gameplay turned me off but this looks to be a more refined version...I do hear there's a lot of inventory management (which I hate) and I also don't like that each area is not part of a seamless world (like Dark Souls) but instead accessed through the map as a separate section
I'm similarly interested. This one seems to be a better blend of DMC and souls or Diablo.

Nioh 2 looks good on PC, but still needs some work to be a worthy PC port

With an Intel i7-7700K and an Nvidia RTX 3070, my PC averaged about 70 fps in the first level of Nioh 2...this was at a resolution of 2560x1440 with all of Nioh's settings maxed out (and motion blur disabled), and the framerate capped at 120 fps...the image is much, much sharper on PC (compared to PS4) but I was surprised that a brand new RTX 3070 GPU—vastly more powerful than what's in the PS4—didn't run closer to 120 frames per second...it would often run at 80 or 90 fps, then dip back into the 70s with more action on the screen

More disappointing is that all of Nioh 2's cutscenes are locked to 30 fps, as they were on the PS4...Nioh 2 currently falls short with its mouse and keyboard support, but Koei Tecmo's PR has told me that the issues I've run into should be fixed before release...in the preview build I played Nioh 2 does have M/KB bindings and the option to rebind keys but it only shows PS4 button prompts in-game...worse, it never hides the mouse, so regardless of whether you're playing with a controller or keyboard/mouse, the cursor stays stuck in the center of the screen...it'll jitter back and forth as you move the camera with the mouse, or just sit there motionless if you play with a controller...

https://www.pcgamer.com/nioh-2-pc-port-impressions/

I can't believe that mouse cursor bug. I saw another guy talk about it on the Steam message board.

In the complete edition trailer they have X-box buttons mapping so maybe the build they are playing with is some kinda hacked version.
You don't see a mouse cursor in the video either.

I suspect this game will benefit from more cores. 7700k is still solid in many games. But games which scale well with cores, it gets spanked.

Additionally, the devs aren't known for amazing optimization.

New Video no mouse cursor not sure of Xbox prompts guy has PS4 controller layout which I still have a controller for.

Steam code currently available on Green Man Gaming for $40.99 (with code: PAYYAY)

Only a few more days. Hopefully this game isn't a mess. Feels like just about everything has required overpowered hardware to achieve desired results lately.
The reviews make no mention of re-binding pad controls, so hopefully that's an option.

Feels like just about everything has required overpowered hardware to achieve desired results lately.

I noticed that as well...seems like you need a minimum of a 2070 Super to play anything with the eye candy turned up nowadays- Watch Dogs Legion, Cyberpunk, The Medium...I don't know if it's an optimization issue or lazy coding...RTX games in particular seem less optimized then 1st gen

Ive got this in my GMG cart and will likely buy it tomorrow (payday for me).

PCGamer preview also said the game will have DLSS. As soon as its available, I will be doing a youtube video much like I did for Death Stranding. I have an RTX 2060.

I jumped on the CDKeys deal. I figure I'll play through it no matter what, and the reviews don't give me any reason to think it's broken. Worse case, I can always re-map my Xbox controller via the accessories app if there's no support for in-game re-mapping.

Never had this happen before, but CDKeys gave me my pre-order key early...and it works. Yet, Steam told me the game wasn't out yet and to try again later. It added the game to my library list, but there's a little padlock on the game. Might just be a new way they're handling pre-orders that don't have a pre-load or something. Guess I'll find out on Friday.

Yea preloading isnt up I wish the game would release the middle of the week. The first Nioh had 3 or 4 presets for button mapping so strong and weak attacks are on the bumpers triggers.

Yea preloading isnt up I wish the game would release the middle of the week. The first Nioh had 3 or 4 presets for button mapping so strong and weak attacks are on the bumpers triggers.

They must have added that later. When I played through it, they allowed you to remap the buttons any way you wanted...but that also re-mapped the buttons for all of the UI elements. When I configured it to play like Dark Souls, navigating the menus was a colossal pain. I eventually got used to it, but it suuuucked for the first 5-6 hours.

Ive got this in my GMG cart and will likely buy it tomorrow (payday for me).

PCGamer preview also said the game will have DLSS. As soon as its available, I will be doing a youtube video much like I did for Death Stranding. I have an RTX 2060.
Was in my cart with an 18% off code. But today I got an email code for 22% from GMG. So I will be using that!

Was in my cart with an 18% off code. But today I got an email code for 22% from GMG. So I will be using that!

I just checked my e-mail and got that code as well...price comes out to $38.99...am tempted to buy it but now that I got my new RTX 3080 I have a lot of games I want to buy- Horizon Zero Dawn and a few others have a higher priority

Last edited:
Nioh 2: The Complete Edition PC review— This samurai Soulslike doesn't hold back

I've always felt that despite the best efforts of many talented studios, no developer has managed to beat From Software at its own genre...I still feel this way after playing through Nioh 2, but for the first time ever, it was a very close call to make...Nioh 2 is the best non-From Software Soulslike I've played, and despite some of its issues, it's the most fun I've had playing a game in this genre since my first playthrough of Dark Souls III

it's formidably challenging, extremely rewarding, filled with excellent level designs, and it even brings a unique mechanic or two to the table that helps combat feel fresh...

https://www.windowscentral.com/nioh-2-complete-edition-pc-review

I'm probably going to pick this up...too many excellent reviews...my main issues are the lack of enemy variety and the lack of an interconnected world but the combat sounds first rate and I really want to try it

I'm probably going to pick this up...too many excellent reviews...my main issues are the lack of enemy variety and the lack of an interconnected world but the combat sounds first rate and I really want to try it
I heard there are lots of enemies! It was the gamespot PS4 review.

Nioh 2 never seems to run out of new enemies to throw at you. Almost every level has at least one new type of Yokai for you to study and struggle against. They run the gamut, from literal giant spiders to animalistic demon soldiers like the Enki, a giant monkey with a spear, and the harpy-like Ubume. Each enemy has its own range of abilities, and you need to learn everything about them in order to anticipate their attacks and get the upper hand. This process takes time--you won't get it on the first try, or even after the first victory. Every enemy, even the little Gaki demon, which looks like a balding, red-eyed child, can kill you if you aren't bringing your A-game. Dissecting enemy patterns and figuring out how to counter them is the sweetest pleasure Nioh 2 offers: That there are so many enemies with so many different attacks to navigate ensure that the game never loses its flavor.

Last edited:
Nioh 2 Complete Edition suffers from some annoying PC issues

the mouse and keyboard control scheme has issues...for starters, there aren’t any K&M icons (though Team Ninja promised to release a day-1 update that will add them)...not only that, but mouse movement feels awful...the game does not offer raw mouse input and instead tries to simulate the analog stick of a gamepad...as such, mouse movement is “jumpy” and completely destroys the whole experience...it’s almost unplayable (yeah, it’s really that bad)

We also noticed numerous pop-ins, especially with shadows. Some of the game’s shadows will change right in front of you, so it can be a bit annoying...

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nioh-2-complete-edition-suffers-from-pc-optimization-issues/

Ok I just bought it. Looking forward to playing this all weekend! It will be the first big chunk of gaming I've done in awhile!!

Hoping the game drops in 15 minutes.
Maybe another hour 12:00 PST

Update: Game just went live 2:04 central time.

Last edited:
does the PC version allow for fully remappable keyboard controls?...with the first game I believe it was only added in later via patch

I'm hearing there are still major KB/M issues...I thought they would have gotten better with the PC port for the 2nd game but it still sounds like it's in rough shape as far as KB/M support

Last edited:
The game has 5-6 pad schemes by default, but none of them truly mimic the Souls scheme. Guard is always mapped the face buttons and dodge can't be remapped to B/O no matter what you do. Luckily you can at least approximate things pretty well with the "custom" function. You can't ever remap B/O no matter what you try, though. Seems stupid to lock a single button down like that. I spent a few minutes playing with it and there's no perfect scheme, but I at least got pretty close. It, luckily, doesn't seem to screw up the UI buttons this time. I probably won't have time to play it seriously for a couple days, but it's already in better shape compared with how the original game launched.

I heard Nioh has a lot of combos so is it easy to remap with the KB/M?...with Dark Souls you only have to learn how to parry, dodge, roll and move but with Nioh, it requires multiple buttons for the combos/skills

I heard Nioh has a lot of combos so is it easy to remap with the KB/M?...with Dark Souls you only have to learn how to parry, dodge, roll and move but with Nioh, it requires multiple buttons for the combos/skills

I just fired it up and it seems like you can re-map all of the keyboard keys at will. The combos in the first game weren't that intense. You usually do a couple attacks, hit the stance switch button/function, and you can occasionally do 1-2 more hits. I focused on the large + slow sword so I didn't use it all that much. I generally found that each stance had a particular function and I rarely needed to change them mid-battle. Pretty sure I stayed in high stance most of the time. Whichever was the most damaging and guardbreak-heavy one.

I just fired it up and it seems like you can re-map all of the keyboard keys at will. The combos in the first game weren't that intense. You usually do a couple attacks, hit the stance switch button/function, and you can occasionally do 1-2 more hits. I focused on the large + slow sword so I didn't use it all that much. I generally found that each stance had a particular function and I rarely needed to change them mid-battle. Pretty sure I stayed in high stance most of the time. Whichever was the most damaging and guardbreak-heavy one.

can you remap using all the mouse buttons as well?...do you need to press 3-4 keys to do the combos?

can you remap using all the mouse buttons as well?...do you need to press 3-4 keys to do the combos?
Yeah, you can. Everything seems to be programmable. Although (like with the pad), the game won't let certain functions overlap.
My experience is mainly with the pad, but most combos involve combinations of quick swings and heavy swings followed by holding the stance-switch button and hitting the corresponding high/mid/low stance button. Looking at the keyboard controls, that seems to be the case there, too. I dunno if there are single-key stance swap options. I think it's always a toggle you have to hold.

Just buy a controller =)
All of the negative reviews on steam are using KB/M

I have the older Xbox controller but I've never used it for a PC game...if I can play through all the Souls/Sekiro games using KB/M then Nioh should not be an issue

If you can complete any of the Souls games, Nioh won't be any tougher. It's comparable at times, and there are some definite ebb and flow moments depending on your gear.
In the first game, there was one "weed-out" boss battle early in the game that ended a lot of playthroughs. It actually reminded me a little of the Alma fight in Ninja Gaiden.
After that, I don't recall struggling mightily with anything else. There were some really challenging areas, but nothing on par with the upper-echelon Souls levels or bosses.

According to what I just read; DLSS is coming in a later patch. No ETA. *another site says day 1 patch*

Keyboard support seems to be solid, albeit no onscreen prompts----which is also supposed to be patched in later/day 1

According to reports from actual players, it seems the mouse support could use a patch. And general performance could use some work. Also hearing about issues with detecting monitor resolution. That all could be a driver thing, a game patch, or both. Nvidia doesn't have a gameready driver out so...I wonder if a driver from them would indeed help a lot.

*Its still pretty early in the day on the westcoast, I suppose a patch could possibly come later today. but that's doubtful.

Last edited:
I kinda sorta experienced the monitor thing. Mine kept trying to default to 1080p instead of 4K and there was no 4K option available. I toggled from borderless to fullscreen and restarted the game to fix it. HDR makes subtitles and onscreen prompts look a little weird. That's not super uncommon (even with console HDR content), but this game is definitely one of the ones where it looks especially odd.

Back