NintendoDS: R4DS vs Acekard vs?

urbsnspices

[H]ard|Gawd
Finally about to pull the trigger on an R4DS, when I find out there are now more options. Which one do I want [H]appy people?

I already have an extra 4GB micro SD card, if that makes any difference.

I think all of the cards are pretty much the same these days. I wouldn't go with the R4 though as they've stopped production at least according to one site. I would say go with the Acekard, although I have a DSTT (cheapest and has regular firmware updates, I think it's an R4 clone) and it's worked flawlessly for me.

Whatever you do, buy directly from China. I can PM you the store I used if you like, my DSTT was $20 shipped.

I have an R4 and can't say much bad about it. Its pretty easy to use- just drag and drop the firmware folder into the root of your SD card and you've got an OS. Then drop any legal ROMs or homebrew apps into the root of your card and you've got a much more functional NDS

The above poster mentioned that the R4 is going out of production. If this is the case, I would be weary of buying one. Every few months it seems like a new game needs new firmware in order to run. I've had to update my firmware 3 times in the past year and a half due to games not running.

Well the one site I have bought from listed it as out of production, but other sites still have R4's in stock so it's hard to say. The main R4 site is down though, probably due to Nintendo going after them with a lawsuit.

yeah, I think you can find lists on afterdawn.com forums of microSD cards that are compatible with the R4 and others

I went with a CycloDS, it's what all the nerdy channers rave about.

Seems to be compatible with pretty much everything.

Thanks for the tips. Especially the mem card. I bought a two pack for my camera, all I know is that it is smaller then my old SD cards. So Ill have to check into that.

I have a CycloDS, and I LOVE IT!!!
My friend who turned me onto all this Homebrew stuff for the DS got a r4, but he is going to buy himself a cyclo soon mainly for the micro sdhc support. I picked mine up for 40 and got it within 3 days from some Canadian site (Sorry I can't remember which one). Soon I am going to purchase an 8gig card just for MP3s so I don't have to get an iPod or anything... god I love my DS...
I would say pick up whatever can support the micro sdhc, all the products are just about the same anyways... But I will give props to the Cyclo!

I'm an M3 person. I started with the M3 Perfect, then the M3 Simply, and now the M3 Real. The M3 Simply is one of the best ever made; the firmware on the Real is ass-tastically horrible. Really, I can't say ANYTHING good about it. Luckily, there's an english port of Sakura for the M3 Real out now that is much better.

seriously... i own the r4... bought many for many friend and they are all perfectly working. The r4 is the best way to go. They update the firmware way more often than any other manufaturer.

go get an r4!

I have a CycloDS and it's been great for me. Easy to use and having SDHC ability is always a winner. The dev team is also very supportive and they're quite frequent with firmware updates.

Me and about 4 friends all have R4's. We all love them. There has been only one issue with them, and that has been with my R4. Mine won't hold the mem card in anymore. I had to put a piece of tape over the slot to hold it in place.

I have a slot 2 supercard (or whatever the GBA slot is called), other than having to run the things through an app first, it's served me well. Will probably go with a Supercard DS one if I ever need more.

M3 and R4s have turned out to be more or less the same. I've purchased them both for friends and the M3 was able to use R4 firmware without a hiccup. From what I've seen the TT is also very similar, if not identical.

Me and about 4 friends all have R4's. We all love them. There has been only one issue with them, and that has been with my R4. Mine won't hold the mem card in anymore. I had to put a piece of tape over the slot to hold it in place.

you can fix this easily .I had the same problem. Open the R4ds and use some plier to put the spring back into place.

Easy fix

But the newer r4 dont have a spring , wich is the way to go if you ask me!

R4's aren't that great. They're overhyped and only support 2GB. The only reason their so popular is because they were the early flashcarts that were actually reliable. Other than that, it hardly has a lot of firmware updates and their team is usually idling.

I ordered an Acekard 2, which is THE budget flashcart. Wish me luck that I didn't get a bad batch!

The lack of MicroSDHC is pretty limiting, that's for sure. I was able to fill up a 2GB cart on my first round of loading stuff on. Luckily the DSTT supports HC. As far as the DSTT vs Acekard 2 I don't see what makes the Acekard 2 'THE' budget flash card, the only feature I've really noticed is that it has better theme/skin support. If I've missed a key difference please let me know, I might consider selling my TT and picking up an Acekard 2 to try it out. The Edge is interesting as well, although it's a little more expensive and I'm not sure if it adds much except flashy packaging.

The DSTT had a bad rep early on because it didn't support Contra 4, but that was patched a while ago. Now the only issue I've run into is that the main site with firmware is slow as hell.

you can fix this easily .I had the same problem. Open the R4ds and use some plier to put the spring back into place.

Easy fix

But the newer r4 dont have a spring , wich is the way to go if you ask me!

I didn't think of that, I will try it, Thanks

The lack of MicroSDHC is pretty limiting, that's for sure. I was able to fill up a 2GB cart on my first round of loading stuff on. Luckily the DSTT supports HC. As far as the DSTT vs Acekard 2 I don't see what makes the Acekard 2 'THE' budget flash card, the only feature I've really noticed is that it has better theme/skin support. If I've missed a key difference please let me know, I might consider selling my TT and picking up an Acekard 2 to try it out. The Edge is interesting as well, although it's a little more expensive and I'm not sure if it adds much except flashy packaging.

The DSTT had a bad rep early on because it didn't support Contra 4, but that was patched a while ago. Now the only issue I've run into is that the main site with firmware is slow as hell.

There are other options, but I like the Acekard 2 because it supports microSD and SDHC, doesn't require any patching, and most would agree, has the best menu. The gui is really responsive with absolutely no lag at all (when scrolling through games). And it's cheaper than the R4 too, which is why most people buy Acekards, Edges, or TTDS's now.

I have the DSTT and so far I have been able to play EVERYTHING. Menu is a bit slow and if I loaded the NDS files directly to the root of the card, after about 20 or so files the menu would freeze up. Moving them into a folder fixed it. Overall the best 40 dollars I ever spent.

I'm using a 4gb card. Need to watch where you get the DSTT though, when I bought it it said it came with the rumble pack & a memory pack for GBA but I only got the rumble pack. Got mine from Sky2k.com. I notice Sky2k no longer sell the all in package or at least I dont see it anymore.

Ok, usually I cheap out and go budget. I was all ready to get an acekard. I decided I didnt need ANY hassles, so I went with the carde that SEEMED to be the most hassle free. And that would be the CycloDS. Probibly any option would have worked.

My wife is having a baby(few DAYS), and I had to get this thing working ASAP. :D:eek: If I am going to be up at 3am, I might as well be doing something constructive. And by that I mean killin time on the DS.

I got mine from www.dealwoot.com. You pay a ~20 dollar premium for the cyclo. I got it bundled with a mem chip. Their bundle price is OK. You could find cheaper memory for sure, but I was already paying shipping and I wanted memory Gaurenteed to work. Again I dont have time for hassles, it is almost peanut butter baby time! :eek:

It came really fast. Works out of the box. Slick packaging and USB card reader.

Back