• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nintendo Wii - THOUGHTS!!!

Tigerblade said:
They might wanna develop summat better than a portable N64 for a backup then ;)

The DS is the fastest-selling game machine in history. I think they're doing ok ;)
 
Wii will simply be awsome, no doubts about. I don't understand why so many are predicting the demise of Nintendo, I think you are all crazy. This is the Nintendo rebrith, sony and M$ are doing nothing to create an innovative method of gameplay. Nintendo is, they did it with DS and now they're doing it with Wii. Hate all you want, you'll see button mashing will be a thing of the past.
 
pistola said:
Wii will simply be awsome, no doubts about. I don't understand why so many are predicting the demise of Nintendo, I think you are all crazy. This is the Nintendo rebrith, sony and M$ are doing nothing to create an innovative method of gameplay. Nintendo is, they did it with DS and now they're doing it with Wii. Hate all you want, you'll see button mashing will be a thing of the past.
I'd prefer button mashing to waving my arms around anyday. So would many others.
 
Killdozer said:
I've watched some of the videos for the Nintendo Wii and it's probably going to be the 'best' console on the market. When I say, 'best,' I mean gameplay and fun...and not insane graphics or huge tits.
Absolutely.

The PS3 will have *way* bigger tits. I mean, we're comparing a C cup to DD's here.
 
KillerMonkey said:
My thoughts:

I must have this console! :p
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I was coveting the 360 and eagerly awaiting the PS3.

But then I saw a list of Wii launch games.

There is *no f'in way* that I'm passing up Metroid Prime, Zelda, and Mario in widescreen EDTV with this wicked controller. No way.

I think that this thing is going to rock *out loud*. It's the first time I've been excited about a game console since the Genesis.
 
i just saw the demo of Zelda Twilight Princess on the Nintendo Wii with the Wii-mote....:eek:...i am placing my order as soon as the Nintendo Wii becomes available for pre-order. i was originally planning to buy GameCube version and but the demo of the guy playing it completely sold me on the Wii-mote plus i didn't know the nunchuck analog attachment is also a motion sensor like the Wii-mote.

PS3 for $600...same games with marginally better graphics...no way for me.

XBOX 360 for $400...same games with marginally better graphics...no way for me.

Nintendo Wii for $300(this is what i think it will cost)...same games with completely Revolutionary gameplay and marginally better graphics... yes way for me.

I PROUDLY DECLARE MYSELF A Wii MAN :D
 
I'll be buying one for definite. After watching the press conference, i REALLY wanna play with the controller. I've said in some of my other posts on other forums that i dont see whats so great about it. After seeing the conference i REALLY want one.

But the main reason i want one is because the guy who hosted the conference looked like he was gonna kick my ass, burn my house down and kill my family if i DIDNT buy one. Man that guy was scary.

Zelda looks really really cool too.
 
Tigerblade said:
Everything I've said thus far.
First off, I like water chestnuts. If you think that playing these games is going to involve vigerous flailing around, you're wrong. They're trying to sell the thing as immersive, which it is, but in order to do that, they need to show it really animating people. When you take it home and actually use it, I imagine it will be much more subtle.

Also, have you considered that sometimes it snows/rains/blows and what-not outside? It takes a lot of effort to organize a tennis game. Your argument is null. You might as well argue that ALL sports games are dumb. All Nintendo is trying to do is make the control better.

You can take the route of the "I like to suck my own e-penis" with your crazy super computer consoles that do the same thing. I've fallen out of love with that whole thing, because these games aren't fun to me anymore. Is it just me, or is Doom just about as good as any FPS out there? Nintendo is right in trying to change gaming, because it is bloody stagnant.
 
slowbiz said:
First off, you're an idiot. If you think that playing these games is going to involve vigerous flailing around, you're wrong. They're trying to sell the thing as immersive, which it is, but in order to do that, they need to show it really animating people. When you take it home and actually use it, I imagine it will be much more subtle.

Also, have you considered that sometimes it snows/rains/blows and what-not outside? It takes a lot of effort to organize a tennis game. Your argument is null. You might as well argue that ALL sports games are dumb. All Nintendo is trying to do is make the control better.

You can take the route of the "I like to suck my own e-penis" with your crazy super computer consoles that do the same thing. I've fallen out of love with that whole thing, because these games aren't fun to me anymore. Is it just me, or is Doom just about as good as any FPS out there? Nintendo is right in trying to change gaming, because it is bloody stagnant.

Is it me or are Nintendo !!!!!!s the most highly strung?

You don't agree with my opinion it doesn't bother me in the slightest as this is a forum to discuss our various views is it not? Resorting to name calling is very childish and makes you look like a fool ;)

Regarding weather and outdoor sports. A bit or rain etc never hurt anyone, and saying organising a kick about with a ball etc is hard work is a lame excuse. But my argument must be null because you say so :rolleyes: Sorry I'll rephrase that, because I don't agree with you I'm an idiot and my arguement is null....u huh.
 
Everyone on here said the DS was going to flop, and PSP was going to rock the DS so hard, with the exception of a few - who where promptly labeled Nintendo !!!!!!s.

DS is the fastest selling handheld ever.

Seems to me, quite a few people on here have the mentality that 'This is what *I* think and that's what everyone else should think, too!'

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we computer/electronics gurus and geeks are a TINY MINORITY of the people out there.

6 million people have purchased Nintendogs. 6 FUCKING MILLION PEOPLE!! That's almost one game per person that bought a PSP. And every single one also had to buy a DS. The games sell the consoles! Why? Contrary to some people's beliefs, we don't ALL have a wad of cash burning a hole in our pocket - we want fun for our money.

DS has already shown it - Nintendo's got a much bigger market draw than Sony or MS.

But hey - this time next year, we'll see, won't we? :D
 
Doward said:
DS has already shown it - Nintendo's got a much bigger market draw than Sony or MS.
Why do people spout off about Nintendo's handheld market share as if it had anything to do with their console market share?
 
gamz247 said:
Why do people spout off about Nintendo's handheld market share as if it had anything to do with their console market share?
I think it's because they took a risk with the DS. I thought it was a bad idea when it came out, but it's done very well. What they're saying is that Nintendo can pull off these risks (barring the Virutal boy).
 
I've always been apprehensive against control methods ever since the illfated Power Glove. It is very easy to make a commercial that makes it look like their is precise control. Seriously after watching the Powerglove commercials you really believed you could control the game that easily. That Redsteel video had me laughing in excitement, Wii is scratching me exactly where I itch.

My main point is it is not that hard to make a video showing the best of something and leave out every negative point. Even doing a live demo you can have the game, though live, especially scripted to show off the points. Obviously that is what you want to do but keep in mind we are seeing the very best of everything, not the mundane. But I applaude Nintendo for going this route and I think it will reward them.

For all the Wii haters (the name is kinda lame but maybe it is the kind of Wee you say when you were a kid and were having fun, 'Weeeeeee!!!!") all I have to say is, Come on you bitches, you had fun playing Duck Hunt didn't you? I know I did. And who didn't cheat on the powerpad?

Another thing I think positive is this will help lead onto more innovations and lower the cost of them. Think of a REAL powerglove one that actually animated your hand and was made a physical object in the games environment. It's completely possible with today's technology and with the Wii help, may finally become cost effective.
 
slowbiz said:
I think it's because they took a risk with the DS. I thought it was a bad idea when it came out, but it's done very well. What they're saying is that Nintendo can pull off these risks (barring the Virutal boy).

Yeah VB was lame but what do you think would have happened if it had been all colored...the red crap was what did it in. It was originally designed for SNES graphics I believe.
 
slowbiz said:
I think it's because they took a risk with the DS. I thought it was a bad idea when it came out, but it's done very well. What they're saying is that Nintendo can pull off these risks (barring the Virutal boy).
What risk did they take with the DS? Adding a touch screen? How is that a risk?
 
We can certainly accomodate these arugments with vacations.

I'll leave upto you guys to decide.

Read the rules and follow them.
 
gamz247 said:
What risk did they take with the DS? Adding a touch screen? How is that a risk?
What previous handheld gaming device had two full screens including one touch screen??

Sounded awfully gimmicky at the time.
 
gamz247 said:
What risk did they take with the DS? Adding a touch screen? How is that a risk?


The risk was they made a portable system with weak tech specs, added some new input devices and a second screen, and told developers to have fun with the system and try new things on it. They banked on the idea that innovative, fun and simple games would move units. And it did.

The PSP was not a risk because they basically made a portable PS2, which sold very well, combined with an mp3 player, devices which have sold very well, and added some extra functionality.

I'm not saying either is superior, just illustrating that the DS was a risk because Nintendo tried something new and different with it. Obviously it wasn't completely new (pda's can have touchscreens, the dreamcast game with the fish used mics), but it was new for a portable, gaming-specific device.
 
kumquat said:
What previous handheld gaming device had two full screens including one touch screen??

Sounded awfully gimmicky at the time.
Fine, there were no dual-screened handheld devices before the DS. It still doesn't make putting it on there a risk... especially since not all the games required its use, and you could play any of the hundreds of GBA games on it as well.
 
Blakestr said:
I've always been apprehensive against control methods ever since the illfated Power Glove. It is very easy to make a commercial that makes it look like their is precise control. Seriously after watching the Powerglove commercials you really believed you could control the game that easily. That Redsteel video had me laughing in excitement, Wii is scratching me exactly where I itch.

My main point is it is not that hard to make a video showing the best of something and leave out every negative point. Even doing a live demo you can have the game, though live, especially scripted to show off the points. Obviously that is what you want to do but keep in mind we are seeing the very best of everything, not the mundane.
You make a good point, but I think it looks pretty intuitive. Did you watch the press conference with the sweepstakes winner playing tennis? He seemed to pick it up pretty quickly, and it looked like the control was how one would hope. Any reviews on the control I've read have been totally positive. Think of how fickle gamers are. If the control is fubar, we will know by the end of the day.
 
Slartibartfast said:
The risk was they made a portable system with weak tech specs, added some new input devices and a second screen, and told developers to have fun with the system and try new things on it. They banked on the idea that innovative, fun and simple games would move units. And it did.
I dunno about that. The PSP wasn't even released when the DS came out.

Slartibartfast said:
The PSP was not a risk because they basically made a portable PS2, which sold very well, combined with an mp3 player, devices which have sold very well, and added some extra functionality.
I disagree with this. Creating the PSP was a huge risk because it was Sony's first ever foray into the handheld gaming market. How long has it been since Nintendo even faced a serious competitor in the handheld arena?

Slartibartfast said:
I'm not saying either is superior, just illustrating that the DS was a risk because Nintendo tried something new and different with it. Obviously it wasn't completely new (pda's can have touchscreens, the dreamcast game with the fish used mics), but it was new for a portable, gaming-specific device.
New feature added to an existing product != risk.
 
slowbiz said:
You make a good point, but I think it looks pretty intuitive. Did you watch the press conference with the sweepstakes winner playing tennis? He seemed to pick it up pretty quickly, and it looked like the control was how one would hope. Any reviews on the control I've read have been totally positive. Think of how fickle gamers are. If the control is fubar, we will know by the end of the day.

Link for the lazy please?

One thing I wish they could do but would be pretty much impossible, is to have resistance. If you clash swords with the guy, something should push back. The only way outside of brain interfacing to do this would be some elaborate string/pulley system like a bowflex that would pull/push.
 
slowbiz said:
You make a good point, but I think it looks pretty intuitive. Did you watch the press conference with the sweepstakes winner playing tennis? He seemed to pick it up pretty quickly, and it looked like the control was how one would hope. Any reviews on the control I've read have been totally positive. Think of how fickle gamers are. If the control is fubar, we will know by the end of the day.

lol, he hit the ball out of bounds pretty much everytime he swung at it. I thought miyamoto was gonna turn to him and say "dude, just put the remote down, I'll handle this one".


As for the wii, I was really really let down by the gamecube so I have my reservations, but the games look like they will be fun, however I keep thinking there seems to be a large chance of things getting real repetitive real quick (for example shooting an arrow in Zelda looks awesome, but you shoot like 500+ arrows over the course of a zelda game, when I'm at arrow 250 I dont see using the remote to shoot it being any more exciting than just pressing a button, its gonna lose its luster).
 
I would call what Sony did, by adding a seemingly crud version of motion sensitivity gimmicky. How much dev time did they really spend on that, maybe it was their plan all along or maybe it was an answer to Nintendos control style.

In the Nintendo press conference video, their demos didn't look scripted, especially by calling an audience member up to try it for the first time. Looked simple and fun to play with. Im sure the time they spent developing it was well worth it.

I'm also excited for the games. I don't know this for sure, maybe others can help me out. But i would think that development on the Wii is way easier than on the 360 and PS3. Developers have tons of hoops to jump though with the 360, and im sure the extremely high detail in their games makes them pretty difficult to develop. We already know that cell is a beast to code for. The Wii's hardware, sounds like it would be much simpler to develop for.
 
gamz247 said:
I dunno about that. The PSP wasn't even released when the DS came out.

Was the PSP announced at that time? I don't recall exactly, but it seems that for most of the DS's life people were expecting the PSP to kill it, because the PSP was so much more powerful.


gamz247 said:
I disagree with this. Creating the PSP was a huge risk because it was Sony's first ever foray into the handheld gaming market. How long has it been since Nintendo even faced a serious competitor in the handheld arena?

I don't think it was that big of a risk - the PS2 is the highest-selling console ever (didn't it ship like 90 million units), so why not make it portable? That coupled with the buzz surrounding it pretty much guaranteed it would sell reasonably well. At the point the PSP was coming out people had already written Nintendo off and were yelling "gimmick" at the DS. I know I personally expected the PSP to sell like crazy and the DS to tank.

edit: One of the more successful gameboy competitors was the Neo Geo Pocket Color. It too was more powerful than the game boy color (came out before GBA), but SNK didn't have the market share that Sony does. Sure a lot of people loved their Neo Geo's, but so few people owned them that when the NGPC came out, it didn't make a huge impact - there weren't a lot of Neo Geo owners to sell too. But with the PSP, so many millions of people owned PS1's and PS2's, that the PSP was going to sell on namebrand recognition alone. No other handheld competitor had that going for them. The exception could be Sega, but the reasons for the Game Gear's demise are well-known.


gamz247 said:
New feature added to an existing product != risk.

True, but it was not just about the addition of features, it was the market forces surrounding it coupled with the public's traditional perception of games as well as Nintendo's own philosophy behind the unit. Never before had a hardware manufacturer basically come right out and said, "our product is technologically inferior, but it's different, so make weird games for it!" People have always gone where the graphics are (price permitting), so Nintendo intentionally making a weaker system was a pretty big risk. Granted, the lower price did help alleviate that.

I'm not saying the DS was a huge risk, but it certainly was a risk. Nintendo didn't even call it a gameboy because they were afraid it would tank and take the gameboy name down with it. The Wii is certainly a bigger risk, but the success of the DS is giving Nintendo and it's fans reason to be hopeful.

It's like, if I never had apple pie before, but I liked apples, so I tried apple pie and liked it. But I'd also never had ice cream before, so the next time I get apple pie I'm more comfortable getting it a la mode, because of past successes.
 
Blakestr said:
Link for the lazy please?

One thing I wish they could do but would be pretty much impossible, is to have resistance. If you clash swords with the guy, something should push back. The only way outside of brain interfacing to do this would be some elaborate string/pulley system like a bowflex that would pull/push.
Here you go... one of the few.
 
Naldo said:
lol, he hit the ball out of bounds pretty much everytime he swung at it. I thought miyamoto was gonna turn to him and say "dude, just put the remote down, I'll handle this one".
He caught on... sort of. Either way, his skill level isn't what I'm talking about. The movements that they were making resembeled actually playing tennis.
 
There's a little Nintendo booth tour here, some nice stuff, like a blue wii-mote, plus some nice new Mario footage(Looks awesome). The graphics look really nice, especially for such a tiny system, lots of subtle touches. I wish Nintendo would get the final kits out to 3rd parties so they can catch up quicker. Rapidshare mirror.

Edit: Youtube version.
 
Slartibartfast said:
Was the PSP announced at that time?
I'm sure that it was.

Slartibartfast said:
I don't think it was that big of a risk - the PS2 is the highest-selling console ever (didn't it ship like 90 million units), so why not make it portable? That coupled with the buzz surrounding it pretty much guaranteed it would sell reasonably well. At the point the PSP was coming out people had already written Nintendo off and were yelling "gimmick" at the DS. I know I personally expected the PSP to sell like crazy and the DS to tank.
I've said it before, and I think it still holds true, that console market share doesn't translate into handheld market share, and vice-versa. Otherwise, we'd see Nintendo sitting comfortably on top of the console market as well.

Slartibartfast said:
True, but it was not just about the addition of features, it was the market forces surrounding it coupled with the public's traditional perception of games as well as Nintendo's own philosophy behind the unit. Never before had a hardware manufacturer basically come right out and said, "our product is technologically inferior, but it's different, so make weird games for it!" People have always gone where the graphics are (price permitting), so Nintendo intentionally making a weaker system was a pretty big risk. Granted, the lower price did help alleviate that.
The DS was still the most technologically advanced handheld gaming device on the market when it was released. And before the PSP came out, you either bought a Nintendo handheld, or you didn't buy one at all.

Slartibartfast said:
It's like, if I never had apple pie before, but I liked apples, so I tried apple pie and liked it. But I'd also never had ice cream before, so the next time I get apple pie I'm more comfortable getting it a la mode, because of past successes.
Your analogy is making me hungry. :p
 
gamz247 said:
I'm sure that it was.

...

The DS was still the most technologically advanced handheld gaming device on the market when it was released. And before the PSP came out, you either bought a Nintendo handheld, or you didn't buy one at all.

See this is my point, the DS was the most powerful handheld system when it came out, but it was overshadowed by the PSP. It was exactly like the Dreamcast and the PS2 - the dreamcast was great, but Sony had huge marketshare, and the PS2's shadow did a lot to kill the Dreamcast. The PSP's shadow hung over the DS's launch in a very similar way, but I think at this point the two devices aren't really competing, because of different target markets.


gamz247 said:
I've said it before, and I think it still holds true, that console market share doesn't translate into handheld market share, and vice-versa. Otherwise, we'd see Nintendo sitting comfortably on top of the console market as well.

I agree, but I also think that having a large console market share helps a lot in launching a handheld. It doesn't guarantee market share, but it can help.

If consumers trust a company's console, they're more likely to trust that company's handheld. The most successful gameboy competitors where sega handhelds that launched while Sega was prosperous. A lot of handhelds that died in the 90's were from nobodies (I mean, Bandai Wonderswan? wtf?). I really believe that Sony's marketshare allowed consumers to have confidence in the PSP - Sony had never failed them before, and the thing is the most powerful handheld ever made.

Think about it, if 3DO came back and made a handheld, would anybody buy it? No. But if Sega came back and made a handheld, some people would buy it. Not as much as the DS or PSP, but certainly more than anything from 3DO.

gamz247 said:
Your analogy is making me hungry. :p

Well, we can certainly agree on one thing: pie = good :D
 
My thoughts are that I suck at tennis in real life. Also, it's winter for half the year here. If Wii allows me to hit a 100 mph smash in January, then I'm all over it.

It looks so fun that I just can't pass it up.
 
Mr. Miyagi said:
I thought it was Nintendo's "Hey you, Pikachu!" because of the adapter for the N64 controller?

You could very well be right, I've never heard of that game. But I also didn't say that the dreamcast game was the first, just an example :p :cool:
 
Back
Top