Switch games don't intrest me at all. Mine sits used for over a year. BotW was over rated and boring. Mario and octopath were cool but other then that it is just a port machine. Don't even know why companies port games like Witcher 3. A lot of those games don't even sale that well.

I want to play the zelda remake, GF wants new pokemon. Other than that just meh from nintendo for 2019.

But hey we get a zelda sequel in 2024.

No love for Luigi's Mansion 3? Looks incredible. I'm also really looking forward to Animal Crossing, Ni No Kuni, and Panzer Dragoon. This E3 was fantastic in terms of gameplay reveals (not just for Nintendo), one of the best in recent memory. It's easy to forget how much work and love goes into these games, and it showed.

Astral Chain and Daemon X Machina look pretty damn good. Looks like more exclusives that pique my interest are coming to the Switch.

Astral Chain looked amazing. Some developer who did Bayonetta so I expect an amazing combat system.

No love for Luigi's Mansion 3? Looks incredible. I'm also really looking forward to Animal Crossing, Ni No Kuni, and Panzer Dragoon. This E3 was fantastic in terms of gameplay reveals (not just for Nintendo), one of the best in recent memory. It's easy to forget how much work and love goes into these games, and it showed.

Yea i forgot about that one, i'm sure i'll play it. Never had a gamecube so it will be my first. Animal Crossing is 2020, and not really my forte, i'd rather play skylines. Rail shooter... in 2019.. no thanks.

I do appreciate the high resale value of the physical carts though. I can buy luigi's mansion, play it, then sell it on ebay for 80% of what i paid. PS4 games are going for 19.99 after 2 months :(

Yea i forgot about that one, i'm sure i'll play it. Never had a gamecube so it will be my first. Animal Crossing is 2020, and not really my forte, i'd rather play skylines. Rail shooter... in 2019.. no thanks.

I do appreciate the high resale value of the physical carts though. I can buy luigi's mansion, play it, then sell it on ebay for 80% of what i paid. PS4 games are going for 19.99 after 2 months :(

Eh, to each his own, we all like what we like. I don't sell games anymore, used to back in the PS3 days when I was still fully into PC gaming, but since then, I plan on keeping 100% of my purchases, especially since a large percentage are collector's editions. Do agree that PS4 titles barely hold their value, there's something about Nintendo games.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I'm all digital now on my consoles and PC. Got a 256GB card for my Switch and 2TB external for my PS4 and keep everything on there so I don't have to worry about physically storing, breaking, or losing games. That's esp. a concern on the Switch that I share with my kids. I very rarely buy games at full price either with the exception of some Nintendo and Sony exclusives when they launch. Speaking of which, I picked up a couple games on the Nintendo eShop on sale right now for the E3 event, like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze ($40) and Dead Cells ($20 I think).

I'm all digital now on my consoles and PC. Got a 256GB card for my Switch and 2TB external for my PS4 and keep everything on there so I don't have to worry about physically storing, breaking, or losing games. That's esp. a concern on the Switch that I share with my kids. I very rarely buy games at full price either with the exception of some Nintendo and Sony exclusives when they launch. Speaking of which, I picked up a couple games on the Nintendo eShop on sale right now for the E3 event, like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze ($40) and Dead Cells ($20 I think).

The problem is that most digital libraries are so prone to whatever they decide for you. So lets say if you bought Snes back in the day you can still run the cartridges on the hardware, however if you buy the Snes under virtual console on the Wii what happens to it once they shut down the service? If your sd card is corrupt or other medium you would still own the physical copy but you can not download the other digital copy you rightfully own as well .

I'm not opposed to digital only I wish there were some industry safeguards regarding digital purchases ...

The problem is that most digital libraries are so prone to whatever they decide for you. So lets say if you bought Snes back in the day you can still run the cartridges on the hardware, however if you buy the Snes under virtual console on the Wii what happens to it once they shut down the service? If your sd card is corrupt or other medium you would still own the physical copy but you can not download the other digital copy you rightfully own as well .

I'm not opposed to digital only I wish there were some industry safeguards regarding digital purchases ...
That's the thing. You don't rightfully own digital content. It is more of a lease. This why I stick with physical when I still can. All those digital games are gone once your switch is dead and they don't run the service anymore in 10 years. It is just like the Wii once it dies there is no way to get the games again. Nothing transfers over to the Wii U or the switch. Switch is also unique with physical games also cause they could be still rendered useless once the service is shutdown. Developers are cheap and buy small carts and make you download the rest of the game. Your game will not fucntion or be missing stuff then. Same can happen with steam. It could shit down and all those games will go poof. At least with the Xbox and PS4 physical games still work without having to download anything. Sure you might not be able to patch them to the last build still once service gets shutdown. All these digital game streaming services coming are just the final step to kill any kind of piracy and take all control from the consumer.

Yeah, those are valid considerations that I also had before going digital with everything, but I've come to terms with it and see them as long-term rentals that if I get to enjoy for several years at least, then I don't mind having to repurchase them again on another platform if need be as long as they're discounted (or on sale) appropriately. Then there's still a consideration of your physical copies having their own longevity issues if you plan to keep them forever; batteries/chips in cartridges can go bad and disc, disc rot or scratches from usage and storage, or they can just get destroyed or lost by any number of ways and you're screwed either way.

So weighing the trade-offs of both, I'll just take the convenience of digital now over the potential longevity of physical. I was never one to trade in it sell games either, as I typically only buy games that I know will play for weeks at a minimum and like to revisit occasionally.

As a huge Panzer Dragoon fan I'm rather disappointed with the way the remake looks. To me it lacks all of the aesthetic\mood that makes the series unique. The remake's graphics and art design are bright and borderline cartoony looking. Doesn't seem right at all.

Other than that the E3 announcements have me wanting a Switch that much more. I might be picking one up pretty soon!

Last edited:
As a huge Panzer Dragoon fan I'm rather disappointed with the way the remake looks. To me it lacks all of the aesthetic\mood that makes the series unique. The remake's graphics and art design are bright and borderline cartoony looking. Doesn't seem right at all.

Other than that the E3 announcements have me wanting a Switch that much more. I might be picking one up pretty soon!
There are some rumours of other Switch hardware coming don't know yet in which form.....

Most substantial rumor I've seen is just a different form factor. I wouldn't expect any kind of new hardware.

If it has BT for wireless headphones, or natively supports wireless audio in any way even if proprietary, then that'll be enough for me to upgrade to it. A better display (either OLED or just a better panel even if the same resolution) and better battery life would probably be enough as well.

Switch games don't intrest me at all. Mine sits used for over a year. BotW was over rated and boring. Mario and octopath were cool but other then that it is just a port machine. Don't even know why companies port games like Witcher 3. A lot of those games don't even sale that well.

You give breath of the donkey bawls too much credit, its a crappy game. The worthless paper mache weapons made me want to avoid combat if I had anything worth using as I didn't feel like breaking a weapon over a random encounter.

As someone with a wii u the ports of its games instead of new ones has pissed me off. Mario and Smash Brothers were both good at least. Actually looking forward to the games they are finally showing off.

I have to admit that I never got the love for Breath of the Wild. It felt like every other open world adventure game to me. People went on and on about being able to go anywhere at any time. Yet required items and power of certain enemies artificially prevented a lot of that. There was also rarely any point. It was still a good game, but I Nintendo commands some Steve Jobs-like fawning over things that have been done before.

I have to admit that I never got the love for Breath of the Wild. It felt like every other open world adventure game to me. People went on and on about being able to go anywhere at any time. Yet required items and power of certain enemies artificially prevented a lot of that. There was also rarely any point. It was still a good game, but I Nintendo commands some Steve Jobs-like fawning over things that have been done before.

It's nostalgia. Before the OG zelda came out, gaming was a different landscape. Getting this huge map to explore and find things in was shocking at the time. BOTW just brought back that nostalgia for me. It's also beautiful in it's loneliness. Pretty sure that's a side effect of the switching being under powered and the dev team not big enough, but it worked well i thought.

Before the OG zelda came out, gaming was a different landscape. Getting this huge map to explore and find things in was shocking at the time.
upload_2019-6-19_11-22-31.png

Maybe on consoles. Nobody I knew when this game originally came in 1987 out was "shocked" by it.

It's nostalgia. Before the OG zelda came out, gaming was a different landscape. Getting this huge map to explore and find things in was shocking at the time. BOTW just brought back that nostalgia for me. It's also beautiful in it's loneliness. Pretty sure that's a side effect of the switching being under powered and the dev team not big enough, but it worked well i thought.

It wouldn't have taken much to make the game far more playable which is where a lot of my disappointment came from. Make the steel weapons far stronger and have shops to buy them and well repair them. The higher end weapons shouldn't have been breakable. Let them wear down and again be repairable at shops in some of the villages. Ideally they could have added more in the world as well, instead it really seemed like the slowed some stuff down to make it take more time. Buying the house was a good example. It took forever to upgrade it, even if you had all of the resources to do it at once. The menu's where painfully slow. Stuff like the bomb arrows should have been far easier to buy as well. I could go on, a lot of it was simple though.

I'm actually kinda looking forward to Links awakening for the switch as it could be really good. Honestly is the next new zelda is as bad as breath of the donkey balls I'm going to be really disappointed. With the switch I don't care about the portable aspect as the joy cons are trash(I saw the bigger clip on ones from the e3 coverage and those look usable). I bought a nintendo console for the nintendo games. So far we have a good mario game and a good smash brothers. We didn't get a new mario kart, just a port of the shitty wii u version thats so slow(and 200cc that they added just doesn't control right). We got a port of a good donkey kong game, a port of good 2d mario games, etc. I haven't played mario party yet so I can't comment on it(I have it, just haven't sat down with friends to play) and I'm sure I'm missing some good games like the mario tennis which is fun.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
The PC adventure or RPG games I remember from the 80's were pretty clunky or borderline still like Wizardry and Dungeon Master.
I can't think of anything like Zelda that had actual movement like an arcade title. Before Zelda games like Hydlide probably seemed good.

The PC adventure or RPG games I remember from the 80's were pretty clunky or borderline still like Wizardry and Dungeon Master.
I can't think of anything like Zelda that had actual movement like an arcade title. Before Zelda games like Hydlide probably seemed good.

Have to agree. Zelda introduced new gameplay mechanic never seen before. A main world with sub-worlds built in. You're allowed to go in any order you chose. Items acting as keys and even making players return to locations they may have seen 100 times just to find something they missed. A mechanic games like Batman Arkham will borrow many years later.

So were all those Switch refresh rumors bullshit? If one were coming, it'd have to be announced well before the holiday season, no?

So were all those Switch refresh rumors bullshit? If one were coming, it'd have to be announced well before the holiday season, no?

No. They have a long habit of announcing 2 months before Japanese release, and four to five months before the rest of the world.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8454/nintendo-announces-the-new-nintendo-3ds-and-3ds-ll

And remember, it's Japan first, so no worries about hitting the US holiday season.They released the new 3DS here in February.

Just be patient if you can, or buy now if you can't.

Nintendo doesn't have to pre-announce anything, because they don't have to get developers in-line for a simple platform refresh. Assuming they're %100 compatible with each other, it's a simple upgrade.

Last edited:
We're only a couple weeks away from Ultimate Alliance 3. I really liked the previous games and it seems like a good fit as a Switch title. You can pick it up and play for a few minutes here and there and not have to wade through a complex plot or hours of loading screens.

There will be a refresh, but when it will hit is the question. They've done a lot of refreshes with the 3DS and with the home consoles getting bigger upgrades I can see them doing the same with a new Switch.

They've done a lot of refreshes with the 3DS and with the home consoles

Source?

Wii-u got no refreshes at all
Wii updates REMOVED features(gamecube first, then internet for canada only, not sure this considered hw refresh)
Gamecube got no changes right?
Did n64 get one? they had the memory expansion

Have they done a hw refresh for a home console since SNES?

Source?

Wii updates REMOVED features(gamecube first, then internet for canada only, not sure this considered hw refresh)

I was referring to Sony and Microsoft. They did minor upgrades (mainly cost cutting and slimming down) previously but the PS4 Pro and Xbox X were more pricey units. For all intents and purposes, the Switch is a home console and mobile console. I don't think Nintendo will go the PS4 Pro route, but will do what they did with the new 3DS XL. Offer a bit more performance and discontinue the old models. Games like BoTW already get very poor frame rates in some areas so a small bump in performance would be great.

Source?

They continually refreshed the hardware of each of those consoles. They just didn’t necessarily redesign the case. Wii did get a case redesign though. In a sense even the SNES Jr. removed features though. Just RGB wasn’t a thing in North America so it didn’t really affect it at the time. The redesigned NES also removed Composite save for a few rumored systems that were released to people who complained about picture quality under warranty. The redesigns have almost always been about reducing manufacturing costs first.

I was referring to Sony and Microsoft. They did minor upgrades (mainly cost cutting and slimming down) previously but the PS4 Pro and Xbox X were more pricey units. For all intents and purposes, the Switch is a home console and mobile console. I don't think Nintendo will go the PS4 Pro route, but will do what they did with the new 3DS XL. Offer a bit more performance and discontinue the old models. Games like BoTW already get very poor frame rates in some areas so a small bump in performance would be great.

Nvidia would have to do it. There could also be compatibility concerns if they refreshed to a Tegra X2.

Switch Lite confirmed. Joycons don't come off. Doesn't connect to TV. Pretty much an upgraded 3DS only meant for portability. Will play nearly all Switch games. Out September 20th for $199.

Switch Lite release video-

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Kind of interest in the switch lite....I REALLY hope modders figure out how to add a mini HDMI port to that sucker so you can still hook it up to a tv.

I assume homebrew is possible on these? Would they make nice emulation things?

Kind of interest in the switch lite....I REALLY hope modders figure out how to add a mini HDMI port to that sucker so you can still hook it up to a tv.

on older firmware's yes

I was right: you got TWO months notice.

Is this going to be a simultaneous worldwide release? Putting this video up in the UK seems to indicate that!

If true, this would be Nintendo's first-ever worldwide console refresh, and definitely a step in the right direction for their previously Japan-centric worldview.

Man, that thing is still pretty wide, compared to the 3ds xl it's replacing - it's only an inch and a half slimmer than Switch large. We will see how portable it is in reviews.

Last edited:

From my experience with R4 and then DS Two, the amount of effort put into porting emulators on these consoles is pretty limited. There's limited compatibility,and working saves, and many are unstable.

I gave up and picked up one of these instead:

https://retromimi.com/products/pocketgo-retro-gaming-system

I'll let you know how well it handles emulation when I get it by Friday, but reviews look pretty impressive. You don't have to pay $200 anymore for a emulation system with suspect ported emulators. It is the sole purpose of this system, so hopefully the ports are a lot more stable.

From my experience with R4 and then DS Two, the amount of effort put into porting emulators on these consoles is pretty limited. There's limited compatibility,and working saves, and many are unstable.

I gave up and picked up one of these instead:

https://retromimi.com/products/pocketgo-retro-gaming-system

I'll let you know how well it handles emulation when I get it by Friday, but reviews look pretty impressive. You don't have to pay $200 anymore for a emulation system with suspect ported emulators. It is the sole purpose of this system, so hopefully the ports are a lot more stable.

I still use a DSTwo on my DS lite (i think) yes the emulation isn't great but it seems to work well enough for me to play things and haven't had an issue with saving.

I still use a DSTwo on my DS lite (i think) yes the emulation isn't great but it seems to work well enough for me to play things and haven't had an issue with saving.

For me, the only compete success for ds two is nesds. But it still had compatibility issues, like castlevania 3.

Every other emulator has serious issues.

CAT SFC is too slow to play anything I like on the SNES except ff2 and secret of mana, and has random crashes.

JenisisDS is fast and stable, but because it uses native hardware acceleration, you're stuck with the worst video scaling of any emulator on the paltform, which sucks for playing rpgs. It also breaks music playback when you load state.

Every sms emulator I've tried has been unstable and has rendering issues with games like ys.

DS2x86: only powerful enough for me to play Star Control ONE on, at half-speed. It's hard to play anythign text-based, because of the lower-then-native resolution.

MAME on DS Two: extremely slow, and extremely picky about what will actually load (ROM versions wise). They've also had to partition it out into multiple different game OEMs, which kinda defeats the purpose of MULTIPLE ARCADE MACHINE EMULATOR. Of the games I waned to play, I only got Black Tiger working reliably (again, af half-speed).

So no, I don't believe that "If you hack it wide-open, the emulator porters will come." Most of these projects are distractions for one author, and are quickly abandoned. Most players don't want to dedicate a $200 device purely to emulation (most console rooters are just looking to pirate games), so if you want to play online, or buy games form the Nintendo store, it becomes a tapdance game every time Nintendo releases a firmware update.

I;m hoping the folks who created the PocketGo have ported all the emulators themselves, because that's all the system does. I expect better experience, as a result. The only thing holding me back from one of these dedicated systems before was price and quality of screen/controls, and this looks to be a winner.

And even if it isn't, I'm only out $40. That's half what I paid for my DS Two cart.

Last edited:
Back