That is correct. Take your horse wherever, leave them wherever, and then go to any stable to get your horse back. The horse must be registered of course.

I just tried it out last night. While I still think horses are a bit of an afterthought in the game, this functionality makes them much more palatable.

Unrelated, who else is loving Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? The slight graphical boost is very welcome and the game looks fantastic as a portable. With Zelda I always felt things got very tough to see (pixelated) beyond what was right in front of you. Mario Kart's view distance is fantastic. It's easily the best looking portable game I've ever seen if you count it as such.

Oh my god, yes. I am having to stop myself from rushing through all the courses so quickly. After finishing all the 50cc courses yesterday, I've decided to limit myself to 2 cups a day. BTW - I completely forgot just how many tracks were in this game. Not counting battle mode, there are 12 cups and 4 courses per cup = 48 courses. Nintendo really outdid themselves for this one. And not making us purchase the DLC (again) is appreciated.

Got my Switch this last weekend... No issues so far, seems good. I am pretty impressed with the graphical quality given the size of the console (have only tried Zelda so far). Even the smaller screen is nice, especially compared to the 3DS resolution.

Picked up Mario Kart for my Switch when it launched but didn't have a chance to play it for a few days. Game is excellent as expected.

Unfortunately, I finally used the two sets of Joy Cons I have (bought an extra pair at launch) without them connected to the Switch only to discover that both of my left Joy Cons have the wireless connection issue.

Nintendo support has been great so far and I've sent the controllers in for repair. Really hoping they get fixed right the first time!

Is anyone familiar with the Switch's charging requirements, both direct and via the Dock? Sadly, it seems that either my Switch itself has actually died (hopefully not!) or something has gone wonky with the charger. My Switch has been sleeping peacefully in its Dock, connected to my TV and charging using the included AC Adapter. When I went to check on it the other day, I noticed that it would no longer turn on and figured it simply had discharged - a strange occurrence given that its Dock used to keep it charged. Finding that the Dock 's light would no longer light up, even when I reinserted the Switch, I knew something had to be wrong with the power. So I tried disconnecting the AC Adapter from the Dock, and plugging it right into the USB-C port on the bottom of the Switch itself - to no avail! I swapped outlets twice, another one on the power strip I was using, and one directly on an opposite wall - but still there was no indication of charging (I tried holding down the Power button in the Switch itself just to check etc).

Thus, I have reason to believe that something is most likely wrong with the AC Adapter, frustratingly. However, in an effort to narrow it down and see if the Switch itself was having an issue, I used the included USB-C (switch) to USB-A cable and connected it to a USB3.0 port on PC, in the hopes that maybe there would at least be enough juice to show some response (alas, I don't have a USB 3.1 port up and ready at the moment), but again the screen was blank and there was no indication of charging. However, its seemed that the PC didn't even register the presence of a new device, connecting the battery-dead Switch, so maybe that was the reason.

Thus, I was wondering if anyone had other experience charging their Switch from something else besides the official AC Adapter? Is it possible to charge via USB ports on a PC and if so, is there a particular requirement (ie process, driver, USB version etc...)? Likewise, has anyone purchased an aftermarket AC Adapter that will support charging the Switch at full speed, both directly and through the Dock? I see a few on Amazon that claim to be Switch compliant but seem to offer relatively low power and/or sometimes outwardly say "Not for the Dock". I'll have to look into the warranty on the Switch and its included peripherals, but in the meantime if I can pick up a compatible AC Adapter quickly that will let me see the extent of the issue (ie is the Switch itself compromised somehow). Thanks.

The AC adapter should say what amperage it is on the casing...then you can just get a similar replacement USB-C charger.

The AC adapter should say what amperage it is on the casing...then you can just get a similar replacement USB-C charger.

Is it truly that simple? I was told by others that there is some sort of special (proprietary?) signaling/charging tech that the Switch uses, explaining how certain chargers don't seem to work even if their voltage/amperage/wattage seems to be similar. I certainly hope there is no truth to this, but I wanted to check with anyone else who actually is charging their Switch, through the dock, on a 3rrd party AC Adapter (or for that matter, charging it directly without the dock, on AC or USB etc) to be sure. Especially given that official Switch AC Adapters are frequently sold out, or price jacked to the sky (on Amazon I see them going for around $50+) I really hope that it isn't using anything special that most third party chargers don't have!.

Edit: The specs on the included Nintendo Switch AC Adapter have an Output of 5V = 1.5 A and 15V = 2.6 A.

That is an interesting Polygon article; So in theory you should be able to charge the Switch directly from a USB port on a PC, given what they said about one from a laptop? However, what kind of USB port did that laptop have. The article linked from that article speaks of them connecting the Switch to a USB TypeC connector on a recent MacBook which I assume means it is a USB 3.1 TypeC. It would have been nice if they went into more detail about what "laptop USB port" they mentioned when plugging into a USB-A power source.

I heard about some sort of tech restricting what chargers will work (maybe proprietary, maybe just something like requiring the 3.1 TypeC power spec source etc) from a variety of places, from a fellow at the Gamestop from which I bought my Switch originally, and then repeated every so often online in discussions of the Switch and accessories ( "This charger didn't work on my Switch, this one didn't work on the Dock but did on the Switch directly, this one only worked if you used the TypeC port not the TypeA port on the charger etc). None of this is definitive of course, which is why I was trying to figure out what might be working and get confirmation of a worthwhile item to buy. Reading over other discussion online this morning since the issue arose, I see reports that many adapters will charge the Switch itself directly, albiet slowly, but the real issue is powering through the Dock, which is certainly what the 15V/2.6A mode (though some refer to this as a 3 amps instead of 2.6) requires. This is probably also related to the USB-C PowerDelivery spec (2.0? 3.0?) which might explain the "special" technology that only a relative few, newer chargers with USB-C support have.

Monster Hunter XX coming to Switch in Japan in August. HD graphics, cross-platform play with 3DS...HYPE!

Hopefully it comes to the West.

Spent a few hours today playing the Arms test event.. I thought this game was going to be shovelware crap llike 1 2 Switch but it's a surprisingly fun and innovative multiplayer game. The way the matchmaking works is pretty neat as well.

Only issue I see is that if you have two people playing on the same system they are generally OP if you end up playing them in a match with a stranger as a team mate.

Between Arms and Splatoon 2 the Switch is getting some solid competitive MP titles this summer.

Anyone playing Ultra SF2? Online play is shaky at times (probably due to like 99% of people being on WiFi), but at least there are matches to be had. It's way too pricey for what it is, but it's a good game.

Anyone playing Ultra SF2? Online play is shaky at times (probably due to like 99% of people being on WiFi), but at least there are matches to be had. It's way too pricey for what it is, but it's a good game.
I can't justify buying it at the current price. I paid ~$65 for when I was a kid on the SNES (the first game I actively saved for lol). I might pick it up a few years from now when it can be had for under $20.... maybe. Looks good though.

I can't justify buying it at the current price. I paid ~$65 for when I was a kid on the SNES (the first game I actively saved for lol). I might pick it up a few years from now when it can be had for under $20.... maybe. Looks good though.
I bought it for $65 back then too (SF2T), but after inflation that's more like $100 I think.

i bought SF2 for 40$ cad on amazon. not too bad i think , heard its a definitive version too.

i bought SF2 for 40$ cad on amazon. not too bad i think , heard its a definitive version too.

It kinda is. Some people will say HD Remix is better (I tend to think so) mainly just because Super SF2 Turbo is so wildly out of whack to begin with. Like 1/2 of the cast has a touch of death sequence and there are a decent amount of mismatches that are nearly unwinnable. Yet that's part of the charm.
In this version Akuma is still vastly overpowered and for that matter I'd say that Violent Ken probably is, too.
But again, that's what a lot of people want. It's mindless old school fun and it's "balanced" in the sense that most characters are broken.

A quick addendum - online play is a major crapshoot with this game. Makes me hate that like 99% of people are playing via WiFi. I don't remember any of these issues with HD Remix, 3 Online, or with 4 or 5. There are some good players online, but man is it laggy a lot. The old Ken uppercut spam (and mash throw when you're falling) works frighteningly well with the latency issues I've encountered in about 50% of matches.

A quick addendum - online play is a major crapshoot with this game. Makes me hate that like 99% of people are playing via WiFi. I don't remember any of these issues with HD Remix, 3 Online, or with 4 or 5. There are some good players online, but man is it laggy a lot. The old Ken uppercut spam (and mash throw when you're falling) works frighteningly well with the latency issues I've encountered in about 50% of matches.

yikes!

...and just a little over a week later the online play for this game is kinda dead. There are still matches to be had if you wait around, but I think both the casuals and hardcores bailed. Tekken 7 and the new SF5 patch compound how bad the online play is. It might still be worth the occasional face to face match (if I'm carrying my Switch), but I can't see myself going back to playing it online.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I downloaded and tried to play the Arms beta test, but every time I got on it gave me a connection error. This was during the time period that it was supposed to be working, so I don't know what is going on.

So I downloaded and tried to play the Arms beta test, but every time I got on it gave me a connection error. This was during the time period that it was supposed to be working, so I don't know what is going on.
I had the opposite experience. It worked every time for me. Honestly, I wasn't very interested until I played it. It is now a day one purchase for me. It looks like it's going to replace MK8 for those quick 15 minute gaming sessions that I have occasionally.

...and just a little over a week later the online play for this game is kinda dead. There are still matches to be had if you wait around, but I think both the casuals and hardcores bailed. Tekken 7 and the new SF5 patch compound how bad the online play is. It might still be worth the occasional face to face match (if I'm carrying my Switch), but I can't see myself going back to playing it online.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Add price to the equation. It's just hard to justify that price for a 20+ year old game. This game would have made more in revenue if was sold at $15 IMO.

Looks like another WiiU remake is on the way - Pokken Tournament is due this September. People that like that game really like it, so that's a good thing.
I'm hoping they'll follow suit with Smash 4. It has a strong community and is (mostly) fine as-is. They're also still selling new Amibos for it.

So a new pokemon and metroid, but they are more then a year away from release. I predict metroid will be like zelda botw and it's actually going to launch with switch 2.

So a new pokemon and metroid, but they are more then a year away from release. I predict metroid will be like zelda botw and it's actually going to launch with switch 2.

Try, a new Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4, Super Mario Odyssey, Kirby, Yoshi, Xenoblade, Zelda DLC, some Indies, etc. Sounds ok to me. I'm sure there will be more, but that's every bit as good a list as anyone else put out there. I think they're doing just fine. I'm actually hopeful that the new Metroid has been in development for a while already, so it won't be that long of a wait, but I guess we'll see. They probably would have shown something if that was the case.

I'm really liking the new Mario game from what I've seen. Love the little "2D Conversion" on walls for one. Kinda reminds me of Link Between Worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but where the hell is the virtual console, Nintendo?!?

They'll probably come out with a "new" Switch that is the only Switch that can play VC games like they did with the New 3DS. :rolleyes:

Yeah.. I'm salty that I can't play SNES VC games on my 3DS XL. I don't care what their excuse it.. that's BS.

They'll probably come out with a "new" Switch that is the only Switch that can play VC games like they did with the New 3DS. :rolleyes:

Yeah.. I'm salty that I can't play SNES VC games on my 3DS XL. I don't care what their excuse it.. that's BS.

I imagine that they could have cut some corners, used some higher-level emulation with certain games, etc. and made it work on the standard 3DS hardware. However, SNES emulation isn't as simple as it might seem based on the age of the console. When the PC SNES emulation projects first started it took years to even get many games into a playable state on the PCs of the time. Even then a lot of the effects like transparency for example didn't work properly. The 3DS isn't exactly the most powerful system, and I'm guessing they needed every ounce of power they could get. The New 3DS has a slightly faster CPU if memory serves. I have one, but never really paid attention. I just wanted Majora's Mask, so I bought it. :D I don't think the CPU bump is night and day for SNES emulation, but I bet it helped quite a bit.

I predicted Metroid Prime 4 when the console was announced. Hopefully they will go with the control scheme from Trilogy and Prime 3. I think it is the best controlling FPS on any console.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Why is the availability for Joy-Cons still so fucking bad? You are lucky to even find Grey ones (if that), and the Red/Blue haven't been in-stock since Switch release.

Yellow just came out and instantly went out of stock as well.

Why is the availability for Joy-Cons still so fucking bad? You are lucky to even find Grey ones (if that), and the Red/Blue haven't been in-stock since Switch release.

Yellow just came out and instantly went out of stock as well.

i preordered the yellow when they were announced 2 months ago. Not in stock ever since

Anyone grab Arms this weekend?
I'm not sure what to think of it. It feels simplistic on the surface, but I can tell there's some depth there. Playing with the twin Joy Cons is definitely like playing on hard mode. It works okay, but there's a lot to keep track of (movement-wise). It's far more efficient using a pro controller or Joy-Con controller. Especially going from punching to blocking quickly. It's probably akin to playing Mario Kart with the steering wheel.
I'm still trying to figure out how the super moves work. It feels like they're a borderline instant win and they're really tough to avoid, block, or do anything about. I'm sure there are plenty of things I don't know or haven't figured out, so take that for what it's worth.

Anyone grab Arms this weekend?
I'm not sure what to think of it. It feels simplistic on the surface, but I can tell there's some depth there. Playing with the twin Joy Cons is definitely like playing on hard mode. It works okay, but there's a lot to keep track of (movement-wise). It's far more efficient using a pro controller or Joy-Con controller. Especially going from punching to blocking quickly. It's probably akin to playing Mario Kart with the steering wheel.
I'm still trying to figure out how the super moves work. It feels like they're a borderline instant win and they're really tough to avoid, block, or do anything about. I'm sure there are plenty of things I don't know or haven't figured out, so take that for what it's worth.
It's fun when you realize you can't button mash. You need to dodge, jump, and pick your punches. I like it, but it doesn't feel like a sixty dollar game.

It's fun when you realize you can't button mash. You need to dodge, jump, and pick your punches. I like it, but it doesn't feel like a sixty dollar game.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that either. It feels like there has to be something else to it. It might be somewhat technical, but there doesn't seem to be much to it. The characters are different, but not that different.

Back