Nintendo Switch LABO

Hey.....after it's worn out you can recycle it.

Neat idea, but durability will be an issue.

Personally, this isn't for me, but neither am I the target audience. When I was younger my parents used to buy all sorts of weird kits like this - for example, the basic robot kits in the 1980s - and not only were they fun and engaging for me but also started me down a lifelong path of loving engineering. So, from that standpoint, I think it's pretty great, especially in a world where Minecraft and Roblox have set the precedent. Getting some actual hands-on stuff is pretty cool. There's a lot they can do with it and I foresee it being popular in some circles. Again, not really suitable for my situation, but I recognize the value for other people.

Not for me but I do compliment Nintendo on their commitment to creativity. I also agree, if it'd been made out of plastic it would've been much cooler.

Not for me but I do compliment Nintendo on their commitment to creativity. I also agree, if it'd been made out of plastic it would've been much cooler.

Since Nintendo's making the templates available, I'm not surprised if there will be plastic ones, or various other materials.

I think the idea is neat.

As long as a little of that money they're printing goes back into more Zelda and Mario games (not the spin-offs, but the real ones...) and that 2D Metroid I keep asking about :D then I suppose I'm fine with them squeezing those teets...

Well, they will make another Zelda game. . .in 6 years, same with Mario, 7 years for another real one apparently. Should be onto the next Nintendo console generation by then. However This Zelda was made for Wii U and then ported to Switch so we might just get lucky and see another Zelda on this console.

Skyward Sword came out in 2011, and Galaxy 2 in 2010. They do make them once in awhile, and when they do it's typically a class act. Unfortunately all the filler that tends to get regular release schedules isn't always very good. Meanwhile I'm not really sure where all this money goes they supposedly make. .

Glad I sold my Nintendo stock after the holidays. This looks like a disaster.
For something that costs nothing to produce, regardless of its success, I'm not sure how you come up with the word disaster. Or maybe you prefer games with a yearly release cadence like madden 2018 or Call of Duty that change nothing and offer nothing original.

OK?

You think the software gives a shit?

It's just cardboard with some shit on it. Make your own.

I'm glad I can teach my kids how to measure and cut out cardboard.

You're right - A sucker is born every minute. Like the idiot that can't figure out how to duplicate a cardboard cutout.

I've never seen anyone make a cardboard accessory for a Console in my life, and I've been in hundreds of homes with consoles and cardboard. What's wrong with a company trying to enhance kids experiences outside of just playing videogames? All companies try to make money, it's what they do, why get mad. Sometimes having an outlet like this for creativity can change the direction of an individuals life. Why not foster it?

A $90 and $100 lego kit that does the same thing would be infinitely preferable to a $70 and $80 kit made of cardboard IMO. There's just no way Nintendo would ever get my money for this, let alone a second time for more Nintendo branded cardboard.

Some relatives would be much more likely to buy something like Nintendo Labo vs DOOM for their grandchild. If kids have fun using it, what's the problem?

Legos would be too heavy / fall apart when used for physical anything. They just snap and disconnect. The fishing demonstration looked a little exaggerated as to the limits of cardboard, but these all seem to have locking pieces that can maintain some wear.

what a stupid piece of shit thing... damn.. people who plan to buy this should have some metal diarrhea disease..

Did you put that whole sentence (?) together all by yourself? Thanks for adding to the discussion and the human race for the matter.

Am I crazy, or is there no link in OP?

I found this:

Looks sort of neat, but I'm not sure I'd indulge myself.

You're arguing with people who love to nitpick every, little, fucking, thing. It's a losing game. Good of you to persevere though! :)

For what it's worth, I 100% agree with you.

My son plays with cardboard boxes all the time. He’ll absolutely love this. I’m assuming you get templates to cut more cardboard after you bang up what comes with it - if so, this is cool for kids.

I don't hate Nintendo. I hate spending $70 for cardboard and a $20 "game" cart.

Apple on the other hand...

okay, that was weird.... you hadn't edited yet, and when I hit reply, your edit was in the quote....

Anyways... Buy the 20$ game, and make your own cardboard things with the templates they're going to put out?

Also: Can you really say you've never seen XBox or Playstation put out a game for 60$ that was worth (at most) 20? Cuz if you try to say that, I have about 50 examples to make you a liar...

I showed this to my high school students (tech design) and they loved the idea. Most of them were already familiar with it, and one student tells me that Nintendo is going to make templates available so you can use your own cardboard ... I'm not sure how legitimate that is ... but he is the biggest Nintendo fanboi so I am inclined to believe him.

That's a complete straw man as I never said, nor would ever say that every XB/PS game was worth $60. I never even mentioned XB/PS anywhere in my posts.

I'm just very skeptical of the cost and the ability to make replacements using templates. I'll believe it when I see it. That has nothing to do with "Nintendo hate." I don't believe in luxury cardboard.

Glad I sold my Nintendo stock after the holidays. This looks like a disaster.

Why would you say that? It is very clearly and plainly marketed towards kids, and is a fantastic way for kids to utilize their mechanical understand while being able to learn something and playing. It's not geared toward anyone on these forums. Also, your stocks comment is kind of stupid if you are comparing the success of this project with the entirety of Nintendo especially considering that the Switch sold more in a year than the lifetime of the Wii U. If I sold my Nintendo stock before the holidays i'd be pissed.

I don't hate Nintendo. I hate spending $70 for cardboard and a $20 "game" cart.

Apple on the other hand...

How old are you? Is everyone on this forum not think about anyone but themselves? This is not made for you. This is meant for kids and is plainly advertised as such.

How old are you? Is everyone on this forum not think about anyone but themselves? This is not made for you. This is meant for kids and is plainly advertised as such.

How old I am is irrelevant as my argument is about cardboard. I could buy this and it would last years. I give it to my 5 and 6 year old niece and nephew to use and I get it back in pieces.

How old I am is irrelevant as my argument is about cardboard. I could buy this and it would last years. I give it to my 5 and 6 year old niece and nephew to use and I get it back in pieces.

And who's fault is that that your niece and nephew can't respect or take care of things? Nintendo's?

For something that costs nothing to produce, regardless of its success, I'm not sure how you come up with the word disaster. Or maybe you prefer games with a yearly release cadence like madden 2018 or Call of Duty that change nothing and offer nothing original.

I wont pretend to know all of their overhead costs, but who engineers the designs? Mass producing cheap toys is probably cheap, but there's more than just laser cutting shapes here.

I'm out because the $70+ sticker price for cardboard toys is outrageous. I'm a parent and feel this fills a unique niche that doesn't appeal to me and my kids. I don't get the snarky Call of Duty and Madden comment; it's entirely irrelevant and just ridiculous. I don't play any game with a yearly release... haven't touched CoD since CoD2 and never played Madden/FIFA/sports video games in my life. What bearing does my taste in video games have to do with my purchasing decisions for a children's toy...?

Why would you say that? It is very clarly and plainly marketed towards kids, and is a fantastic way for kids to utilize their mechanical understand while being able to learn something and playing. It's not geared toward anyone on these forums. Also, your stocks comment is kind of stupid if you are comparing the success of this project with the entirety of Nintendo especially considering that the Switch sold more in a year than the lifetime of the Wii U. If I sold my Nintendo stock before the holidays i'd be pissed.

That's fine, as I said above: $70+ for cardboard cut-out toys is outrageous. It's so obviously not marketed towards adults, but the adults pay for it. $70 for a cardboard piano? $80 for a cardboard robot? No thanks.

And no, I didn't sell my stock as a result of this LABO product and I don't hinge the entire success of their company on it. But if Nintendo invests another penny into this product line, I feel they've already spent too much. As a parent, I don't see the demand for this type of product at this price point.

Nintendo has made me a lot of money though: I bought last January when they were trading around $25, then sold last week around $50 (i.e. that's after the holidays). I realized then that their pricing on the Nintendo Switch was actually very competitive when they were getting shat on for pricing, and I saw that the Switch was actually a product I wanted. When their stock faltered because of stagnant profits, I actually bought more stock because I knew software will pick them up. I cashed out because I feel they're going to stagnate again, at least until they land Pokemon and their usual 1st party killer apps.

Last edited:
And who's fault is that that your niece and nephew can't respect or take care of things? Nintendo's?

You don't know my niece or nephew, and can't make judgments about their level of respect for things, so don't. If you think it's a good idea to market a cardboard kit to kids and expect it to last, I can't help you. If you think its worth $70 (and $80) for a month of kids entertainment before the pieces get broken or they grow bored with it, that's your judgment call. If you think making your own replacements using templates is going to be easy...well, I don't think it's going to be easy based on the level of detail. They aren't going to get my money.

buy the kit, use the templates/parts on your own cardboard. like what was said, a hard board, quality cardboard and an x-acto knife = duplicate kits. my co-worker only had one question,,,how long is the string cuz,...he WANTS the Robot one..but he is 6'5" tall and thinks the string will be too short (i said, just go out and buy a spool of "snap" string (string you use to snap chalk lines-just without the chalk) for 5 bucks and you'll have 250' of string..

I think most of the "haters" on this concept aren't thinking for the future concepts it could create. I'm sure someone will make 3D printable designs and other future projectswith this project, because honestly the possibilities are endless. Is this the next Gameboy Printer, Virtual Boy, etc, etc? Who knows, but damn it's got my creative mind thinking of some cool and sweet stuff that could come out maybe in the future!

I wont pretend to know all of their overhead costs, but who engineers the designs? Mass producing cheap toys is probably cheap, but there's more than just laser cutting shapes here.

I'm out because the $70+ sticker price for cardboard toys is outrageous. I'm a parent and feel this fills a unique niche that doesn't appeal to me and my kids. I don't get the snarky Call of Duty and Madden comment; it's entirely irrelevant and just ridiculous. I don't play any game with a yearly release... haven't touched CoD since CoD2 and never played Madden/FIFA/sports video games in my life. What bearing does my taste in video games have to do with my purchasing decisions for a children's toy...?

That's fine, as I said above: $70+ for cardboard cut-out toys is outrageous. It's so obviously not marketed towards adults, but the adults pay for it. $70 for a cardboard piano? $80 for a cardboard robot? No thanks.

I believe that there is going to be software that comes with the 'cardboard', hence the 70$ priceline. Think of it as wii sports for the switch, which was probably the most played game all time for a single console. If it's fun to use, I don't see the harm in expanding the range of their [expensive] controllers. If you look in the video everything being done with the cardboard on the switch appeared to be custom software. If the games are fun and interactive, it'll be a lock. I still play the occasional wii bowling on the big screen in my living room when my son wants to mix it up with me.

overwatch confirmed...

26733671_683585181765764_7051564609347485133_n.jpg

I believe that there is going to be software that comes with the 'cardboard', hence the 70$ priceline. Think of it as wii sports for the switch, which was probably the most played game all time for a single console. If it's fun to use, I don't see the harm in expanding the range of their [expensive] controllers. If you look in the video everything being done with the cardboard on the switch appeared to be custom software. If the games are fun and interactive, it'll be a lock. I still play the occasional wii bowling on the big screen in my living room when my son wants to mix it up with me.

I can dig that. Who knows, maybe I'll be first in line for it the more we learn about LABO.

I am amazed that i seem to be the only person on the planet that is more interested in how succesfully will their joycons actually work with said cardboard implements.

Just saying but i don't remember the IR to be sensitive enough for that piano functionality for example to be accurate at all.

As for the cost, yeah it is higher than regular games, it is a nintendo thing, i am not condoning it mind you, just saying that it is par for the course (the price in theory is the game + the cardboard, the cardboard replaces amiibos as an even lower cost/higher profit thing for Nintendo to peddle)

They should have made it out of corrugated plastic. It'll be tougher to fold, but will last longer than cardboard. I wonder if they'll let you download the templates for it for free.

Huh?

The cost is basically for the game. They are letting you use any paper/cardboard/whatever you want.

This comment of yours makes no sense. You want Nintendo to charge you an arm and a leg for plastic bullshit like Amiibo's?

Just to be clear, while I personally have no use for this, I think it's pretty cool. I get that you're paying for the software. However, I do actually wish you could get some default Nintendo manufactured plastic baseline models. Then, sure, if you want to make your own cardboard items, great, or 3D print something if you have the resources, cool, or build some milled aluminum parts maybe. I have no problem with cardboard as an option. I just think something a little more permanent as another option would be desirable. What I think would be more cool is something a bit more granular. A set of plastic parts that could be assembled/reassembled for multiple functions. I just see potential for more options beyond the cardboard medium. I don't hate what's already intended, I think it could be better.

Like I said, I'm not really in the market for this, but it's not a bad thing at all IMO. I could see my kids enjoying it quite a bit actually. (though when I finally grab a switch, it will be for me to game on, not for them to build things :D ) We have other things like that available for them.

Just to be clear, while I personally have no use for this, I think it's pretty cool. I get that you're paying for the software. However, I do actually wish you could get some default Nintendo manufactured plastic baseline models. Then, sure, if you want to make your own cardboard items, great, or 3D print something if you have the resources, cool, or build some milled aluminum parts maybe. I have no problem with cardboard as an option. I just think something a little more permanent as another option would be desirable. What I think would be more cool is something a bit more granular. A set of plastic parts that could be assembled/reassembled for multiple functions. I just see potential for more options beyond the cardboard medium. I don't hate what's already intended, I think it could be better.

Like I said, I'm not really in the market for this, but it's not a bad thing at all IMO. I could see my kids enjoying it quite a bit actually. (though when I finally grab a switch, it will be for me to game on, not for them to build things :D ) We have other things like that available for them.

If I had a kid i'd buy it along with a cheaper 3D printer and learn 3D printing with the kid.

I think this thing is generally going to be great for younger kids assuming the adults would like to have a more active role in also teaching their kids self-reliance/creativity in also designing/building their own things.

You're right - If someone just wants an actual game where it requires no interaction with their kids this likely won't be the best thing because once your kid destroys the cardboard it's game over unless you're willing to spend time teaching the kid how to do things himself.

I'll put you in the make a new set of cardboard pieces with amazon boxes and x-acto knives crowd. Because when the cardboard is bent, ripped, broken what good is your game going to be, genius.
and China and eBay will have 50 copy's in cardboard and plastic that you can get for $5 for when you do stuff up your one. I will be surprised if Nintendo do not have a option to buy the cardboard for a fraction of the cost. the resale market is massive so it will happen and it will happen fast!

They should have made it out of corrugated plastic. It'll be tougher to fold, but will last longer than cardboard. I wonder if they'll let you download the templates for it for free.

I think of the cardboard as salable prototypes. Faster to market, faster feedback and iteration. First adopters always get screwed on price. Once they get community feedback on the initial run they can design plastic versions or dump out templates and let the community make their own. Also 3rd party companies will probably start offering their own designs for less eventually so Nintendo can't make a killing on LABO cardboard in the long run (other than more Switch sales).

I think of the cardboard as salable prototypes. Faster to market, faster feedback and iteration. First adopters always get screwed on price. Once they get community feedback on the initial run they can design plastic versions or dump out templates and let the community make their own. Also 3rd party companies will probably start offering their own designs for less eventually so Nintendo can't make a killing on LABO cardboard in the long run (other than more Switch sales).

Corrugated plastic isn't expensive and you could run it through the exact same machines as they use for the cardboard. Although might wear out the blade/press thing more quickly. I'm not really looking at it from a cost standpoint, but more reliability. The corrugated plastic will function like the corrugated cardboard, but last longer. Mainly cause, it's a plastic version of cardboard.

You're right - If someone just wants an actual game where it requires no interaction with their kids this likely won't be the best thing because once your kid destroys the cardboard it's game over unless you're willing to spend time teaching the kid how to do things himself.

I wasn't totally advocating something like that either. I play Terraria with my kids. I run a dedicated server for it, so we can join any time, build together, build alone, etc. I also do electronics projects with them, make music with them here and there etc. Though to be perfectly honest, it is nice to have some games that they can sit an play on their own when I'm busy. They also have a lot of outdoor things to do (though in Seattle, the weather plays a small part in some of that). Anyway, you're right in that this product would be pretty cool to sit down with your kids, and come up with interesting/weird contraptions/robots, etc.

What I think would be cool is some plastic mechanical "primitives" to work with, akin to Lego Technic that would allow for some more elaborate designs. (even if they were a bit more simplistic than that)

Back