Nintendo/Sony Playstation Prototype

Still some time left on the auction, plety of time for people to start bidding it up higher. No one will put 1 mil up as their starting bid.

I remember this thing. I also remember being a 12 year old pissed that Nintendo didn't want to work with Sony. Imagine how great the Nintendo 64 would be if Nintendo's game designed had been combined with some good hardware? Cartridges my ass.

I remember this thing. I also remember being a 12 year old pissed that Nintendo didn't want to work with Sony. Imagine how great the Nintendo 64 would be if Nintendo's game designed had been combined with some good hardware? Cartridges my ass.

That hardware of the N64 wasn't that bad, hard to program for though. However, the limited space by cartridges meant the developers needed to be creative with how much storage they had. The Nintendo 64 DD was supposed to help solve that issue, but it never game out. I suspect the same would have happened with Sony's add on cd drive as well.

Just because seller turned down 1.2 mil 3 years ago doesn't mean he will get more this time.

Shill bidding coming up? Lol

Honestly, as interesting as it is as a piece of history - what's the point? Isn't it non-functional?

Honestly, as interesting as it is as a piece of history - what's the point? Isn't it non-functional?

That's pretty much the only value of it.

35ck20.jpg

The seller definitely regretted putting it up for auction and turning that 1.2 million down considering it went for 300,000

Reactions: erek
like this
Would have changed the course of console gaming if this had gone forward.

Would have, could have, should have. :) I watched a thing on Ben Heck about it where he actually disassembles a prototype and fixes it (bad caps -who'd a thunk?! :D ). Anyways. It looks like it was just a Super Nintendo CD-ROM with more RAM and that's it. Kinda disappointing. But very interesting as well. I always was under the impression that the Nintendo/Sony Playstation was more-or-less a bit of a neutered PSX that got beefed up after the Nintendo betrayal. But it appears that that's not the case at all. In that case, I agree with Ben. That console would have been a disappointment and wouldn't have been any better than a Sega CD really; and I can see why Nintendo chose to scrap it.

Back