• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nintendo NX Controller Leaked?

That does look a lot like the patent Nintendo filed.

I dunno, not feeling it and I can't help but feel this will alienate 3rd party developers who will now have to take into consideration another experimental Nintendo controller when porting games to the nx.
 
If they made it rectangular (think half of a 3DS XL) and slapped a stock ABXY button layout on the right, I'd bite.
 
If they're going to go with a touchscreen phone/tablet interface, they should just commit to it. Having a joystick in the middle of it seems like a terrible idea. I like the Wii U design better, but 3rd parties whined and refused to use it to its full potential, while Nintendo didn't release many first party games either. The best games for it were ports of DS games, along with a couple of gems like Pikmin. They could have done more with it, but 3rd parties put their foot down and somehow had a lot more power this generation. There were no Zelda games, and the only 3D Mario game was nearly Isometric. I didn't see any masterpieces like Skyward Sword or Mario Galaxy this time.
 
Is it just me or does that look like an old serial port connector that is connected to that controller?
 
Am I looking at an oddly shaped smartphone? Because I don't want one. Controller with a mic and camera? GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE
 
looks like a rearview mirror from a car. a cheap shitty car...
it does have shoulder buttons and the sticks probably click too...

Update [3/20/16]: Nintendo has an official comment on the leak, and it is as follows: “Nintendo does not comment on rumors or speculation.”

edit: info aboot buttons.
 
I'm unable to tell if those are traditional analog sticks or 3ds-style circle pads on a nub.
 
This controller design would be unfathomably stupid. I didn't think they could design a controller worse than the Wii U Gamepad, I could be wrong.
 
This controller design would be unfathomably stupid. I didn't think they could design a controller worse than the Wii U Gamepad, I could be wrong.

I don't know... I guess a lot of people liked the N64 & Game Cube controllers, but I found those incredibly stupid and difficult to use. Nintendo's best controllers were the NES & SNES controllers. Even their handhelds conformed to those standards.

I just find touch controls hard to use. Many arcade games for mobiles have them, and it leads to hands falling off the controls. Try playing Ghosts N Goblins Gold Knights on your iPhone. Ghosts N Goblins is hard enough with a good controller, and near impossible on the iPhone.
 
What's the point of having screen space on the area behind where your hands/thumbs cover up the screen while using the thumbsticks anyway?
 
Looks exactly like what the patent looked like.
I think that is the whole deal.
I think is real.

Me no get.
 
I just had a terrible thought... what if that *is* the NX? That giant connector at the top could be an early version of the 'HDMI' dongle that would transmit the video feed to a HDTV.

Mind you, it's probably too small to house the components to be on par with a Xbone... right?
 
Wish they had taken a better picture than that shitty one if it is real
 
I'm guessing this is a prototype, and I'm HOPING its not real. I'm really looking forward to buying a new Nintendo console, but this aint it.
 
If you enlarge the picture of the controller and you look closely at the controller right hand side around the analog stick you can see buttons the B button is just below the analog stick and there is other buttons on the right side of the right analog stick and above. People should look closer at it instead of jumping to conclusions with a quick glance at the picture. I think that this controller is a good design and it's way better than the Wii remotes.
 
Last edited:
If you enlarge the picture of the controller and you look closely at the controller right hand side around the analog stick you can see buttons the B button is just below the analog stick and there is other buttons on the right side of the right analog stick and above. People should look closer at it instead of jumping to conclusions with a quick glance at the picture. I think that this controller is a good design and it's way better than the Wii remotes.

Hello there account created just to push an agenda. Please take note that the thread says no "Physical" buttons. While yes you can easily see the B and other arrows, you also see that they are clearly images behind the panel indicating a software button. Which is in fact..not a physical button. So perhaps you should look closer instead.
 
pretty sure that is a fake. at least the picture is a fake neogaf did a pretty good break down of - at least- the picture on that thing.

the picture is from an unreal 4 video - about 6 seconds in contains that scene shown.

could it be real? ya. is it? probably not.
 
I just had a terrible thought... what if that *is* the NX? That giant connector at the top could be an early version of the 'HDMI' dongle that would transmit the video feed to a HDTV.

Mind you, it's probably too small to house the components to be on par with a Xbone... right?

Alas, I think you are right. I think that is the whole deal right there.
The Console may be the controller itself, and there may be the ability to link with other controllers. There may be add on controllers that have no screen.

I fear that Nintendo has done it again.
 
I find it believable that this is real, based on Nintendo's controller designs of the past. I know people that mastered the N64, Gamecube controllers and Wii Motes, but I hate them all. Nintendo always acts like they changed the gaming interface world for the better when they introduce new designs, but none of the post-SNES designs ever stick around. Which is proof that its all gimmicky BS.

I'm convinced that if they would just suck it up this time and make a traditional (but very powerful) console with 2 Wii U Pro Controllers, called it a Super Nintendo 2 pre-loaded it with a VC back catalog of ALL of the old SNES/GB/GBA games, put in a 2TB HDD, have physical disc support plus account based digital downloads, and finally bundle it with a new Zelda and Metroid game, they would be back on top of Sony.
 
I'm convinced that if they would just suck it up this time and make a traditional (but very powerful) console with 2 Wii U Pro Controllers, called it a Super Nintendo 2 pre-loaded it with a VC back catalog of ALL of the old SNES/GB/GBA games, put in a 2TB HDD, have physical disc support plus account based digital downloads, and finally bundle it with a new Zelda and Metroid game, they would be back on top of Sony.

Nintendo has done a horrible job of leveraging their back catalog to push new systems. They would rather try an get $10 from a 25 year old game than offer the games for free as an incentive to buy the consoles.
 
Nintendo has done a horrible job of leveraging their back catalog to push new systems. They would rather try an get $10 from a 25 year old game than offer the games for free as an incentive to buy the consoles.

Which I don't understand. The VC library is tiny and insanely expensive, so I have only bought a couple and that's it.
 
The standard 16:9 viewable ratio is inside the analog sticks, anything beyond that is flavor and doesn't really matter. Think of it as a 21:9 monitor. Thats my opinion.
Probably just adds extra immersion is my guess.
Likely a prototype if its real.
 
I find it believable that this is real, based on Nintendo's controller designs of the past. I know people that mastered the N64, Gamecube controllers and Wii Motes, but I hate them all. Nintendo always acts like they changed the gaming interface world for the better when they introduce new designs, but none of the post-SNES designs ever stick around. Which is proof that its all gimmicky BS.

I'm convinced that if they would just suck it up this time and make a traditional (but very powerful) console with 2 Wii U Pro Controllers, called it a Super Nintendo 2 pre-loaded it with a VC back catalog of ALL of the old SNES/GB/GBA games, put in a 2TB HDD, have physical disc support plus account based digital downloads, and finally bundle it with a new Zelda and Metroid game, they would be back on top of Sony.
GC controller wasnt bad, especially the wireless wavebird. The wii motes and wiiu pad are terrible though. Enough with the stupid gimmicks nintendo. make a gamecube predecessor that will be able to hang with current gen consoles while still being able to play mario. But making a good console with a practical controller makes too much sense for them so they have to shit all over it and make another gimmick controller. The wiiu pad idea is retarded because one player HAS to use it,even for games like mario kart. At least make it optional, and since they made such a part of the console the games the come out for it somehow incorporate it into their games. Its like the little brother controller because the person they has that in their hands gets to do all the bitch work in the games while the other players get to just play the game.
 
GC controller wasnt bad, especially the wireless wavebird. The wii motes and wiiu pad are terrible though. Enough with the stupid gimmicks nintendo. make a gamecube predecessor that will be able to hang with current gen consoles while still being able to play mario. But making a good console with a practical controller makes too much sense for them so they have to shit all over it and make another gimmick controller. The wiiu pad idea is retarded because one player HAS to use it,even for games like mario kart. At least make it optional, and since they made such a part of the console the games the come out for it somehow incorporate it into their games. Its like the little brother controller because the person they has that in their hands gets to do all the bitch work in the games while the other players get to just play the game.

The pad isn't my favorite and I don't like the fact they forced people on it either, but at least it maintained the D pad + 4 button setup of every long term successful controller. (SNES/Xbox360+One/PS1+3+4, etc.) Adding joysticks and triggers is great, but deviating from the basic SNES design elements, by any manufacturer, has historically been a failure. Ever single time. I think Valve figured that out in making the Steam Controller. The first Xbox controller felt weird, even after they shrank it. And it was just the SNES 4 button design squished and at an angle. They went back to normal SNES layout for the 360. I agree the GC controller isn't awful and it is learnable in a quicker time than the N64 controller. But even after its cult revival by Super Smash Bros, it will disappear eventually as it is too different.

Muscle memory is a tough thing to change and its often just not worth while doing - even if a new design is technically more ergonomic. Dodge changed the column and console shifter to a knob on the dash in their trucks. Within the last couple years, a slew of Dodge trucks started smashing through walls in local businesses where I live. Any guess as to why? My buddy rented one and almost launched it into his kitchen. Ford tried a non locking signal light arm on the steering column. That is gone now for good reason. Its tough to change years of doing something a certain way.

I agree. No more gimmicks.
 
More leaked information. These new pics look really convincing.

Nintendo-NX-Rumor-1-1280x720.jpg

More Nintendo NX controller photos leak - Are you convinced?
 
If thats really the controller for it then i have given up on nintendo. Stop it with this gimmicky BS. Make a normal fucking controller with a d-pad, joystick, triggers and A,B,X,Y buttons. Oh wait they do with the pro controller..... Why cant they just perfect that thing like MS did with the xb1 controller and make a regular game console. I can tell the NX is going to be lame with some push for DS integration or game on the go BS.
 
I still think this is the new portable to replace the DS line, and like many Nintendo portables before it will be able to connect to the console and act as a controller in some fashion.
 
I still think this is the new portable to replace the DS line, and like many Nintendo portables before it will be able to connect to the console and act as a controller in some fashion.

The NX is supposed to be a portable that also connects to a dock to act as a console. They are trying to replace both product lines in one shot.
 
When you turn it on will Sonic wink at you?

The sega metamorphosis is complete. Wtf Nintendo. When was the last piece of innovation to come from Japam? What happened over there.
 
The NX is supposed to be a portable that also connects to a dock to act as a console. They are trying to replace both product lines in one shot.

A direction I've never understood.

How are they going to offer better performance than the Wii U? Yeah, the Wii U has similar specs to AMD integrated graphics in 2011, but that's far more powerful than something that can clock in at under 5w.

If the graphics are worse, then it's not much of n uupgrade, is it?

The Wii U triple-core out-of-order CPU means even a quad-core A72 isn't going to be much more powerful, and also going to be hard to run at the same time as the GPU on a platform that tiny!

There's just not enough power to run something significantly more powerful than a Wii U, and something THAT POWERFUL would realistically have trouble scaling-down for mobile use.
 
A direction I've never understood.

How are they going to offer better performance than the Wii U? Yeah, the Wii U has similar specs to AMD integrated graphics in 2011, but that's far more powerful than something that can clock in at under 5w.

If the graphics are worse, then it's not much of n uupgrade, is it?

The Wii U triple-core out-of-order CPU means even a quad-core A72 isn't going to be much more powerful, and also going to be hard to run at the same time as the GPU on a platform that tiny!

There's just not enough power to run something significantly more powerful than a Wii U using something that would realistically scale-down for mobile use.

Pretty sure most modern smartphones have more graphics power than the Wii U, so a 5W power target should be doable for a vastly more powerful system.
 
Pretty sure most modern smartphones have more graphics power than the Wii U, so a 5W power target should be doable for a vastly more powerful system.

Nope, the Iphone 6s has about the same. Here's how I did the math:

Does the iPhone 6 actually have console-quality graphics? | ExtremeTech

The above claims the 5s GPU has 115 Gflops, the Iphone 6 is 50% faster at 172.

The Apple iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Review

This claims 90% performance improvement for 6s, with 12 textures/clock. Also provided was the number 115.2 GFLOPS at 300 MHz

So I estimated Iphone 6s fpu performance at 172 * 1.9 = 325 gflops

I used that to estimate the iphone 6s clock speed at 300 MHz * (325 gflops/ 115 gflops) = 850 MHz!

Now we can compute the texel rate a 12 per clock cycle = 10 Gigatexels/s

And here is the Wii U specs:

TechPowerUp

8.80 GTexel/s

352.0 GFLOPS

Looks pretty close to me. So no, the NX wouldn't see an upgrade at all. And that's assuming you know your way around silicon wizardry like Apple, not the half-assed patchwork Nintendo usually does!
 
Back
Top